Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
So Kellerman defended Shaq's actions?

Pretty much, or basically made it sound like it was a linguistic rather than racist jab. I guess Shaq's latest jab at the man with genetically disfigured face is just a physiological jab at best.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

There's a difference between being racial and racist. Making fun of other cultures and ethnicities is not racist. We all do it. And if you say you don't, you're lying. We may poke fun at each other but we will never DISCRIMINATE against a group of people. Comedians do it all the time. Are they racist? It's not like Russell Peters goes on stage and says, "black people aren't allowed at my show". THAT would be racist.

What Shaq did was poking fun at Asians. Was he wrong for doing it? Yes because there's a time and a place for certain things and doing it in front of the media is not the time. But, it wasn't racist. He didn't say "I hate Yao Ming and all Chinese people" Seems like all these liberal hippies are trying to change the meaning of the word racist to suck up to everybody else.

What Sterling said IS RACIST because he discriminated against black people by saying he didn't want them at his games.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
There's a difference between being racial and racist. Making fun of other cultures and ethnicities is not racist. We all do it. And if you say you don't, you're lying. We may poke fun at each other but we will never DISCRIMINATE against a group of people. Comedians do it all the time. Are they racist? It's not like Russell Peters goes on stage and says, "black people aren't allowed at my show". THAT would be racist.

What Shaq did was poking fun at Asians. Was he wrong for doing it? Yes because there's a time and a place for certain things and doing it in front of the media is not the time. But, it wasn't racist. He didn't say "I hate Yao Ming and all Chinese people" Seems like all these liberal hippies are trying to change the meaning of the word racist to suck up to everybody else.

What Sterling said IS RACIST because he discriminated against black people by saying he didn't want them at his games.

Liberal hippies? So if Shaq walks up to me, an Asian, and says "ching chong ching chong" I'm supposed to chalk that up as him just poking fun at me? The funny thing is you do the same with certain and more vocal racial minorities and there will be protests and uproar. I get it, Asians just grin and bear it. But let's be honest when you see something racist like that. Trust me, unlike some Asians, when I was younger, I def stood up and got into lots of fights over this. Never bothered again by those fools.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Liberal hippies? So if Shaq walks up to me, an Asian, and says "ching chong ching chong" I'm supposed to chalk that up as him just poking fun at me? The funny thing is you do the same with certain and more vocal racial minorities and there will be protests and uproar. I get it, Asians just grin and bear it. But let's be honest when you see something racist like that. Trust me, unlike some Asians, when I was younger, I def stood up and got into lots of fights over this. Never bothered again by those fools.

You're overly sensitive. I've been made fun for being "too white" by my own peers and family. How about that huh? Being singled out by your own friends and family because you don't fit in. Did I throw a (bleep) fit and fight? no. Brushed it off. I am who I am. We're living in an overly sensitive society. You're a great example of it.

Last edited by frijolero01 on Fri May 30, 2014 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

You're overly sensitive. I've gotten made fun for being latino AND for being "too white" by my own peers and family. Brushed it off.

Actually, my point is, I'm not sensitive. Other racial groups are more sensitive and have higher political clout, ergo, different standards. That's fine for you to accept, condone, disregard racist statements, that's your right, but that doesn't mean they aren't racist statements.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

You're overly sensitive. I've gotten made fun for being latino AND for being "too white" by my own peers and family. Brushed it off.

Actually, my point is, I'm not sensitive. Other racial groups are more sensitive and have higher political clout, ergo, different standards. That's fine for you to accept, condone, disregard racist statements, that's your right, but that doesn't mean they aren't racist statements.

Racial: chin chong ding dong.

Racist. Go back to China. I hate you people.

see the difference?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

You're overly sensitive. I've been made fun for being "too white" by my own peers and family. How about that huh? Being singled out by your own friends and family because you don't fit in. Did I throw a (bleep) fit and fight? no. Brushed it off. I am who I am. We're living in an overly sensitive society. You're a great example of it.

I see you edited your response there. Well, same thing happened to me actually, but you can PM me if you want to hear that story.

I'm talking about when I was in elementary-high school. Not now. But you're missing the overall context. So Max Kellerman ironically defends Shaq's racist comments by saying they're really not racist. That's my point. That's ridiculous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

see the difference?

And you know racists use racial epitheths and statements like that, right? There isn't a magic mix of words that suddenly equates to "racism." You say something like that to an Asian, what am I supposed to conclude, that you are linguistic expert who is simply outlining the difficulties in the Mandarin or Cantonese language?
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Between Kellerman and Papadakis, Los Angeles has some of the worst afternoon-drive-home-radio of any city.

Pathetic...
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

see the difference?

And you know racists use racial epitheths and statements like that, right? There isn't a magic mix of words that suddenly equates to "racism." You say something like that to an Asian, what am I supposed to conclude, that you are linguistic expert who is simply outlining the difficulties in the Mandarin or Cantonese language?

No. I'm just hoping you have a sense of humor and throw it back to me. Tell me "arriba ayeayeayeaye!!! tacos and burritos!"
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Between Kellerman and Papadakis, Los Angeles has some of the worst afternoon-drive-home-radio of any city.

Pathetic...

It really is true. Without a competitive Lakers team, it's clear these stations don't have much to offer. Would really wish they'd switch gears to the Dodgers and Kings. Rehashing how much Jim Buss sucks, or the Donald Sterling circus gets old quite fast. Really hard to call it sports talk radio anymore.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
I've been made fun for being "too white" by my own peers and family. How about that huh?

I got it from both sides too.

Had the Santa Claus at Santa's Villiage (when I was 9) ask me if I'd been eating tacos all day.

Had the grandmother of my (white) girlfriend from HS say "all those damn Mexicans" were "responsible for the rise in crime" in their city.

Also had plenty of folks in HS accuse me of "trying to be white" and even started rumors that I was gay because of the music I listened to and because I couldn't speak Spanish.

Yes, though ... there were fights.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:

Pathetic...
nope. only podcasts i listen to now days are Max. Love me some Max in a non homo way.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Brandon98 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Pathetic...

It really is true. Without a competitive Lakers team, it's clear these stations don't have much to offer. Would really wish they'd switch gears to the Dodgers and Kings. Rehashing how much Jim Buss sucks, or the Donald Sterling circus gets old quite fast. Really hard to call it sports talk radio anymore.

They cant really do a whole lot with the Dodgers as they dont have the rights, they can talk a little, but the Dodgers are playing like complete garbage right now, so all you would get is more ranting and no raving.
SportsLoco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: KFWB THE BEAST 980 L.A.'s New Sports Station

CBS Sports Radio and Jim Rome will have a home on the new KFWB The Beast 980 starting in September adding to a crowded field of low rated sports stations KLAC, KSPN and KLAA

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/netgnomes/89528/los-angeles-preparing-for-arrival-of-a-beast/
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

I repeat... Michael Thompson is an idiot. How you pick a bunch of laker haters to be on 710 (mins 1 blind homer in John Ireland) and then you keep your job despite the low ratings ?

The management at 710 is flat out stupid
SportsLoco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

This thread was started a few years ago and now Max Kellerman is suspended for saying something dumb on Mason and Ireland during crosstalk. It was bound to happen sooner or later

http://nydn.us/1lIK6CI
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB THE BEAST 980 L.A.'s New Sports Station

-Updated-

Last edited by K2 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

see the difference?

Damn, you're down 30 at the end of the third in this. I hope you quit while you were way behind before your All-Star was injured.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

SportsLoco wrote:
CBS Sports Radio and Jim Rome will have a home on the new KFWB The Beast 980 starting in September adding to a crowded field of low rated sports stations KLAC, KSPN and KLAA

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/netgnomes/89528/los-angeles-preparing-for-arrival-of-a-beast/

It's finally coming together, the longtime industry vets on KFWB are wrapping up their last couple of shows (Money 101 and others, thanks Bob McCormick Phil Hulett and many others) to make way for the new format.

KFWB's not messing around, they've secured Westwood One's coverage of the NFL on Sundays and March Madness. Mike Thompson and Don Martin are going to have their work cut out for them with 3 sports stations in the LA area, there hasn't been this much competition for the same demo since the 1150/1110/1540 (or the 1150/710/1540) days.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:

ESPN 710 is just so lame - the shows suck. I started to listen to Fox Sports Daybreak, with Mike North and Andy Furman (I download the show podcasts). They are way better than any of that drivel on ESPN.
SportsLoco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:

August 2014 PPM Radio Ratings covering L.A. and Orange Counties 6+ overall:

No. 29 KLAC 570 [1.1 share]

No. 32 KSPN 710 [0.9 share]

KFWB 980 begins officially on Monday. They are No. 42 [0.2 share]
AC Green
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

SportsLoco wrote:

Do you have a more specific breakdown of the ratings for each show? I'm curious how the 12-3 and 3-7 shows do against each other.
SportsLoco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:

AC Green wrote:
SportsLoco wrote:

Do you have a more specific breakdown of the ratings for each show? I'm curious how the 12-3 and 3-7 shows do against each other.

Nielsen doesn't provide that information, but Max and Marcellus are not doing well against Petros and Money from what I've been told.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject:

SportsLoco wrote:
AC Green wrote:
SportsLoco wrote:

Nielsen doesn't provide that information, but Max and Marcellus are not doing well against Petros and Money from what I've been told.

That's pretty bad. Petros and Money are straight up horrible.

Max isn't bad, but Marcellus can get tiring.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 28 of 31
Jump to: