SPURS -at- LAKERS - 2/3 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject:

Shannon doesn't understand the game well enough to be a starter.
smoothazsilk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Shannon doesn't understand the game well enough to be a starter.

your dead on with that quote.
smoothazsilk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject:

[quote="HBA"]DB man, what a sight for sore eyes eh?

You know, the thing that gets me bro, is everyone is complaining about the rebound at the end. Who cares? We gave up a WIDE open 3 to their best perimeter player on the start of the possession. By rights, he'd make that and we'd have needed a make of our own to win the game.

So, for me, it's irrelevant that Odom wasn't in position. Winning wouldn't have changed how I feel, and that is that:

1) PJ can talk defense all he wants, but until he starts benching Fisher in favor of Blake, that's all he is doing...is talking. Blake was so far and away better than Fisher, it was sore to watch. Matter of fact, Blake is showing me something with his play vs. Brooks and Parker. That he can really defend these guys and, to me at least, has been Great defensively for a while now.

Fish is the weak link on this team to be sure. Strange how no one in the press sees that
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
Should had Bynum in on that last Play. When you need one stop, he can everything Pau can and is better at blocking shots and rebounding.

This is probably the first loss this season that really got to me.

And what was drew supposed to do differently from Pau? Pau forced Tim into a tough, tough shot that he missed, and Lamar didn't box out his man or bother to contest the board.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
Should had Bynum in on that last Play. When you need one stop, he can everything Pau can and is better at blocking shots and rebounding.

This is probably the first loss this season that really got to me.

And what was drew supposed to do differently from Pau? Pau forced Tim into a tough, tough shot that he missed, and Lamar didn't box out his man or bother to contest the board.

Agreed. I was at the game (which made the tip in all the more painful) and I was shocked Drew wasn't in there **with** Odom and Pau. First off all, we probably would have gotten one of those rebounds to begin with but secondly, when Pau was drawn out by Tim and successfully altered his shot, both Lamar and Drew could have been there to defend the basket. In fact typing it out now I'm confused and upset all over again. Oh well, I guess...
ofwgkta
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Gotta say though, I think you're asking a little too much from Brown . Dude has such bad court awareness, it's not even funny. So many times you see Drew fighting for position in the post, and what does Brown do? He looks him off, and either chucks up his own shot or swings it the opposite way. I don't know if he sees Drew or what, but it's frustrating to watch.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

The few thoughts that I had? Andrew played hard (throughout the first half). He posted/screened/rolled hard, ran in transition, and ran back on defense. Pau, on the other hand, was the source of 3 first quarter turnovers. Pau didn't play hard until after a timeout by Phil late in the quarter. He contributed the "most" (or the "least") to that 18 point quarter. Andrew is playing like he doesn't want to be traded; while Pau is coasting.

Inspired defense by Steve Blake was another of the bright spots, of the second quarter, before I turned it off. I really enjoyed watching him move his feet on defense.

Both Bynum and Blake did an excellent job on D. Artest was decent, too. But the impact Bynum and Blake has was pretty tangible on the defensive end. Very nice to see Drew continuing to be lively after that one game break. And a much better defensive game from Blake than we saw in the last big one. Definitely two bright spots on that side of the court.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject:

rokobe81 wrote:

in 2006 game 6 vs suns odom was the man responsible for that offensive rebound by marion.

I had a flashback on that, too. Must be post traumatic stress from that Suns loss.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject:

There is a positive to take from this game. I mean, Drew was a real pleasure to watch. Not just his D this time, but also how he orchestrated the offence at times.

The start of the fourth Q cost the game. Lamar and Shannon were in a shoot-and-miss mode and did not care much about anything else. I think Drew touched the ball something like three times during that stretch. There was no ball movement whatsoever and Spurs built a nice lead.

And I am actually starting to feel that Pau might really be somewhat on a soft side. At times he was just pushed around there. Even got pushed to the crowd by box-out from Ginobily. I mean, come on....

Good to see some fight for the win though. I liked this game.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject:

HBA wrote:

1) PJ can talk defense all he wants, but until he starts benching Fisher in favor of Blake, that's all he is doing...is talking. Blake was so far and away better than Fisher, it was sore to watch. Matter of fact, Blake is showing me something with his play vs. Brooks and Parker. That he can really defend these guys and, to me at least, has been Great defensively for a while now.

I wish Phil would give Fish the hook when he deserves it like everyone who gets his wrath. I get that you want to respect your vets, but Fish never sees the same treatment as LO, Pau, etc. when Phil is calling a timeout and barking at someone. Phil at least talks around Kobe about what the "team" problems are vs. any direct confrontation, but that's your superstar. I get that. I guess he doesn't want to undermine Fish's leadership, but he's Phil. He should be able to bark at anyone and use the hook whenever he wants.

Quote:

2) We can't seem to get anymore stops in crunchtime. Countless games with no stops. Houston, Indiana, last night vs. San Antonio. Sacramento.
Every game we need a critical stop to either win or stay within a point so that we can win it at the other end, and we fail. Other than Houston in our opening game of the season, have we gotten a single stop on the final possession to secure a victory or give us a chance at one? I'm flabbergasted at these breakdowns.

Even though they've been making a lot of effort to practice D in the past several weeks, it feels like this is a team that is having trouble staying on the same page on both ends. I don't think it's a Phil tune-out thing as you suggest, might be more of not having your vets out there in practice all the time. The communication defensively has been horrible, but that improved last night some. I'm not real pleased with the on-court leadership on that end of the floor, either.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:

harperlewis wrote:
Thanks DB. Gotta say though, I think you're asking a little too much from Brown . Dude has such bad court awareness, it's not even funny. So many times you see Drew fighting for position in the post, and what does Brown do? He looks him off, and either chucks up his own shot or swings it the opposite way. I don't know if he sees Drew or what, but it's frustrating to watch.

I think we've got to be tough on that court awareness. It got Farmar, it got Sasha...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject:

thejellosjiggling wrote:

The Lakers seem to have the vast majority of pieces. However, a strong threat as an outside shooter could really open up the inside, IMHO.

I'm sure we could neutralize that by running crappy offense.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject:

[quote="smoothazsilk"]
HBA wrote:
DB man, what a sight for sore eyes eh?

You know, the thing that gets me bro, is everyone is complaining about the rebound at the end. Who cares? We gave up a WIDE open 3 to their best perimeter player on the start of the possession. By rights, he'd make that and we'd have needed a make of our own to win the game.

So, for me, it's irrelevant that Odom wasn't in position. Winning wouldn't have changed how I feel, and that is that:

Fish is the weak link on this team to be sure. Strange how no one in the press sees that

Agreed wholeheartedly on #1.

People talk about Kobe leaving RJ. There's a reason why and it starts at the PG position.

Compromises our entire team on defense.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

The few thoughts that I had? Andrew played hard (throughout the first half). He posted/screened/rolled hard, ran in transition, and ran back on defense. Pau, on the other hand, was the source of 3 first quarter turnovers. Pau didn't play hard until after a timeout by Phil late in the quarter. He contributed the "most" (or the "least") to that 18 point quarter. Andrew is playing like he doesn't want to be traded; while Pau is coasting.

Inspired defense by Steve Blake was another of the bright spots, of the second quarter, before I turned it off. I really enjoyed watching him move his feet on defense.

Both Bynum and Blake did an excellent job on D. Artest was decent, too. But the impact Bynum and Blake has was pretty tangible on the defensive end. Very nice to see Drew continuing to be lively after that one game break. And a much better defensive game from Blake than we saw in the last big one. Definitely two bright spots on that side of the court.

blake in the last couple of weeks has really started to show why so many of us were so high on him. he's not a great defender, but he is a very competitive one who won't give up on plays and does a pretty good job overall. if he could only get his shot consistent again, and he'd be there. great to see him be more aggressive on his shot, even though he missed most of them. just keep taking those open looks; he's too good a shooter to keep missing them.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject:

oh, and kobe really, really, really needs to stop shooting 3s unless it's a catch and shoot situation and he's wide open. he's never been a great 3 point shooter, but this year it's worse than ever. and one of the problems is that when he finally hits one, the next possession down it's about 80-90% guaranteed that he's going to run up to the 3 point line and jack another up to test if he's hot. a guy shooting barely 30 percent from beyond the arc should not be averaging more than 4 attempts a game.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I wish Phil would give Fish the hook when he deserves it like everyone who gets his wrath. I get that you want to respect your vets, but Fish never sees the same treatment as LO, Pau, etc. when Phil is calling a timeout and barking at someone. Phil at least talks around Kobe about what the "team" problems are vs. any direct confrontation, but that's your superstar. I get that. I guess he doesn't want to undermine Fish's leadership, but he's Phil. He should be able to bark at anyone and use the hook whenever he wants.

It only makes sense to bark at someone you know can get better

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

It only makes sense to bark at someone you know can get better

so true
zhaoyipeng024
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject:

[BANNED]
Alison
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject:

[DELETED]
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: