Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Anyone else wanna kill Theon Greyjoy? How many people now is it that he's betrayed? I mean, have some balls man. (Yes, I see the irony)

That wasn't really a betrayal though. Not like he sold her out. He took the cowards route but honestly that's the smarter move than to impotently lash out against a vastly superior foe. What purpose would that serve?
Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Anyone else wanna kill Theon Greyjoy? How many people now is it that he's betrayed? I mean, have some balls man. (Yes, I see the irony)

That wasn't really a betrayal though. Not like he sold her out. He took the cowards route but honestly that's the smarter move than to impotently lash out against a vastly superior foe. What purpose would that serve?

Give the guy a break. He had his manhood taken from him. I think he'll get his chance to shine.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
So, just guessing, and it'll be a while before it would possibly happen, but...

I'm guessing that Arya will have an encounter/fight with Jamie, and the show will make it so you don't know who died. Then Jamie will meet with Cersei (and maybe even act weird) and you won't be sure if it's Arya or Jamie.

Basically, stems around the fact that if she wants to kill Cersei, she will only be able to get close enough as Jamie. Also, trying to think like the show writers.

I've been thinking along these lines as well.

Maybe it's because Arya's storyline (along with Jon vs WWs) has always been one of my two favorites, but for me, there would be nothing more satisfying than seeing her be the one to take out Cersei.

After seeing the Starks get hosed so badly for the first three years of the show (although it was partly self-inflicted due to making really bad mistakes), it's so satisfying watching Arya get some revenge. She's the only Stark (and maybe Bran I guess) who has been smart from the jump. I've loved her revenge tour ever since she and the Hound took out those Lannister soldiers after the Red Wedding. As she has moved up her list, it just gets better and better.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
It recognized her. Or else they'd have devoured. Nymeria in the books is told be have gone fully wild and has her own pack of wolves she runs with. Showrunners explained it well. Some things can't be domesticated, I think that's the point.

You're right. I meant that it didn't care that it recognized her---other than stopping it from killing her, there was a "i owe you no allegiance" element, so your point is well-taken. i also think its an obvious teaching moment for arya, as in "look what path your heading down." more reason to send her north

I didn't take it as a "teaching moment" as much as she was looking in a mirror. She's never going to be a lady in a gown- she never wanted that. And that was before she saw her father get his head cut off and his brother's body paraded around with his direwolf's head on top. She's not stepping off that revenge tour until everyone on her list is dead. 67 nailed it- Arya has never been domesticated, so why would her wolf ?

She's been the most self-reliant of all the Starks, she has very special skills, and she is driven by some very specific things. So even though she's going to Winterfell to see her family, I don't think she's going to stay in Winterfell the rest of the series. Her skills won't be of much good vs the Night's King, but she could definitely help them with their enemies down South, where she has unfinished business. I think she'll still be Arya Stark- Terminator after a happy reunion with her family.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject:

too many ed sheeran cameos and pointless slave softcore, not enough Hound and Arya
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject:

nuStar Wars comic relief says that Game of Thrones isn't black enough

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/21/john-boyega-game-of-thrones-lack-of-black-actors/
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
It recognized her. Or else they'd have devoured. Nymeria in the books is told be have gone fully wild and has her own pack of wolves she runs with. Showrunners explained it well. Some things can't be domesticated, I think that's the point.

You're right. I meant that it didn't care that it recognized her---other than stopping it from killing her, there was a "i owe you no allegiance" element, so your point is well-taken. i also think its an obvious teaching moment for arya, as in "look what path your heading down." more reason to send her north

I didn't take it as a "teaching moment" as much as she was looking in a mirror. She's never going to be a lady in a gown- she never wanted that. And that was before she saw her father get his head cut off and his brother's body paraded around with his direwolf's head on top. She's not stepping off that revenge tour until everyone on her list is dead. 67 nailed it- Arya has never been domesticated, so why would her wolf ?

She's been the most self-reliant of all the Starks, she has very special skills, and she is driven by some very specific things. So even though she's going to Winterfell to see her family, I don't think she's going to stay in Winterfell the rest of the series. Her skills won't be of much good vs the Night's King, but she could definitely help them with their enemies down South, where she has unfinished business. I think she'll still be Arya Stark- Terminator after a happy reunion with her family.

Here's Weiss and Benioff's explanation of that scene. Very cool. I totally missed the reference back to season 1.

LINK
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
nuStar Wars comic relief says that Game of Thrones isn't black enough

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/21/john-boyega-game-of-thrones-lack-of-black-actors/

It's not even a subtle comparison between Game of Thrones and England during the Middle Ages even if it is fantasy so it's understandable why the majority of the cast is white and British no less.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

It was interesting how the betrayal (or however you want to describe it) was foreshadowed in the scene before. When Ellaria makes her sexual advance on Yara while using a military metaphor about Yara being left unprotected and prone to attack, Then flinches and start to retreat. Which is exactly what happens in both the attack and his response to Yara being held by Euron.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

Euron is a great villain.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
So I'm just going to assume that Jon is going to die sooner rather than later.

Between the King in the North scene, choking out LF as Ned did in season 1 (in front of Ned's (bleep) tomb no less), and now leaving Sansa in charge of Winterfell -- as Ned did Cat -- while riding South, they're almost overdoing this "following in the footsteps of dead men" metaphor.

Great episode though

I can't see the point of bringing Jon back from the dead, surviving the Battle of the Bastards, revealing he has Targaryan blood, and the Red Woman telling Daenerys he's vital to war with the White Walkers just so he could be murdered by Littlefinger.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

Theon will presumably still be at Dragonstone when Jon arrives, right? I hope Jon kills him.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

The predictable outcome of the Sansa story line is being tempted by little finger to help her assert her right to the "thrown" by betraying John, some signs she may be tempted and then, ultimately, aligning with her brother and killing little finger herself.

However, what I would think would be pretty cool is Arya seeing with little finger is doing once she gets North and her killing him (sooner rather than later). I see Arya as the Stark protector, so that could easily happen.

And, by the way, even if Arya doesn't kill Cersia herself, wouldn't it be bad add if she somehow figures out a way to kill the Mountain?

I also see the Hound coming back into all this and playing some kind of pivotal role of redemption that we just haven't seen yet. Although I think that will be in the war up North, not in King's landing.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Between the King in the North scene, choking out LF as Ned did in season 1 (in front of Ned's (bleep) tomb no less), and now leaving Sansa in charge of Winterfell -- as Ned did Cat -- while riding South, they're almost overdoing this "following in the footsteps of dead men" metaphor.

Great episode though

I can't see the point of bringing Jon back from the dead, surviving the Battle of the Bastards, revealing he has Targaryan blood, and the Red Woman telling Daenerys he's vital to war with the White Walkers just so he could be murdered by Littlefinger.

Yeah, his arc from banished bastard to where he is at this point is far too monumental and intricate that killing him off too soon in that arc would be pointless.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Theon will presumably still be at Dragonstone when Jon arrives, right? I hope Jon kills him.

Presumably. Even though he didn't kill Bran and Rickson and saved Sansa he still has a lot to answer for.

Don't forget Davos is with Jon and the Red Woman is at Dragonstone already.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Presumably. Even though he didn't kill Bran and Rickson and saved Sansa he still has a lot to answer for.

Right. As soon Jon said he was taking Davos I thought "oh the Red Woman is there too, I wonder what that means."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

The arya scene was poignant in much the way the Hold the Door scene was. The question though is whether she continues going north, or goes back to her task. I suspect she goes North, but only briefly.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

By the way, the next episode is entitled "The Queen's Justice" . . . so mull on that one for the next 6 days.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Right. As soon Jon said he was taking Davos I thought "oh the Red Woman is there too, I wonder what that means."

Things were already tense in that strategy room scene between Dany/Varys and Tyrion/Olenna, Ellaria& Yara. Now they're adding Jon/Theon and Davos/Melisandre. I can't wait.

Daenerys decides who lives and who dies on Dragonstone. She didn't have much of a reaction hearing Ellaria Sand murdered Tyrion's niece. I can't imagine she'll be too heartbroken to hear about what happened to Shereen since it was her own parents who actually gave the order. Both of those kids were the daughters of her enemies.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
By the way, the next episode is entitled "The Queen's Justice" . . . so mull on that one for the next 6 days.

The fair assumption is that is a reference to Dany, given all that just went down to her fleet at the end of the episode.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

The Queen could be Dany, Cersei or Sansa.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The fair assumption is that is a reference to Dany, given all that just went down to her fleet at the end of the episode.

Or cersei, since Euron is bringing her the killer of her daughter. Or both, and since Sansa is temporarily queen of the north...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Regardless of which Queen, the real question is about the "Justice" part . . . justice served? Or justice received?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Great episode though

Yeah, his arc from banished bastard to where he is at this point is far too monumental and intricate that killing him off too soon in that arc would be pointless.

Then what is point of including all of these painfully obvious parallels between Jon and Robb/Ned? Surely there's some meaning there, and they didn't just throw them in there for the heck of it.

Maybe it's to emphasize that he is in fact a Targaryen, and thus won't suffer the same fate as the Stark men?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

My guess is cersei doesn't receive justice yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 165 of 247
Jump to: