Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Ted wrote:
^lol

The Wire is still #1 for me.

So, is Brienne just allowed to write the history books just like that? Wouldn't that be Samwell's job?

Iirc, that book is chronicled by members of the Kingsguard order. Barristen Selmy (who the show did dirty) wrote in it.

Two people were ambushed by The Sons of the Harpy. One of them was an excellent casting and an utterly interesting character who made the GoT lore that much more special. The other one was Grey Worm, a blank waste of time.

We could do a roll call of characters that were featured prominently in the show that weren't even a blip in the books and vice versa.

Or maybe even a story arc that encompasses maybe 1/3 of the last 2 books that was completely omitted by the show.

But hey, we got scenes with Grey Worm and Missandei (w...t...f?!). We got Bronn coming back again and again when yeah, he's kinda not in the books anymore yo (and I LIKE the cat!). I can keep going on and on. They gave the masses what they wanted.

LOL at missandei

We also got god knows how many minutes of a (bleep) pointless romance between Brienne and Jaime that ultimately crescendos, er, sputters into him tooting and booting her and then immediately realizing, as any man would, that Brienne's best would never be as good as incest (with either of his siblings), and then riding away only to get killed by falling building materials.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Mon May 20, 2019 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
top 5 GoT girlfriends

1.) Ros http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32300000/Game-of-Thrones-game-of-thrones-32364092-700-467.jpg

2.) Karsi https://i.imgur.com/EWdzw15.gif

3.) girl in the bathtub with Rhaegar https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/gameofthrones/images/0/07/Doreah_infobox_main.jpg

4.) Melissandre

5.) pixie cut sand snake who flashed bronn https://i.imgur.com/lvoTTo3.jpg

It's #3 for me.

Also a random shoutout to OregonLakerGuy! It his mention of the novels on page 1 of this thread that got me to read them after catching episode 1. I'm still scratching my head at how Martin managed to slip between the cracks for me prior to that.

try to remember how you felt after seeing the first trailer:

On my bro-in-law's couch channel surfing after playing some Xbox. He asked me if I heard of this (he's also pretty well read). I was like no...wth is this?

I'll raise you one:

No judgement here, but there's gotta be some knuckle dragging DNA in y'all if you think this scene is the same caliber as the last few seasons.

Ironically that scene wasn’t in the books although it could have been an episode written by Martin. Too lazy to check

I don't think it was either but my memory is hazy. There were some very subtle add-ons early in the series that I felt added to the books. The scene when Theon took the head of the master of arms of Winterfell (I forget his name) was absolutely brilliant. Alfie perfectly encapsulated his struggle. Not in the book. Well executed in the show.

Heck, Robb Stark's entire depiction on the show was phenomenal. He's only referenced in the books from the POV characters. They speak of him and about him. That's it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
top 5 GoT girlfriends

1.) Ros http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32300000/Game-of-Thrones-game-of-thrones-32364092-700-467.jpg

2.) Karsi https://i.imgur.com/EWdzw15.gif

3.) girl in the bathtub with Rhaegar https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/gameofthrones/images/0/07/Doreah_infobox_main.jpg

4.) Melissandre

5.) pixie cut sand snake who flashed bronn https://i.imgur.com/lvoTTo3.jpg

It's #3 for me.

Also a random shoutout to OregonLakerGuy! It his mention of the novels on page 1 of this thread that got me to read them after catching episode 1. I'm still scratching my head at how Martin managed to slip between the cracks for me prior to that.

try to remember how you felt after seeing the first trailer:

On my bro-in-law's couch channel surfing after playing some Xbox. He asked me if I heard of this (he's also pretty well read). I was like no...wth is this? Jesus HBO? Fantasy? The ONE channel I could trust.

I'll raise you one:

No judgement here, but there's gotta be some knuckle dragging DNA in y'all if you think this scene is the same caliber as the last few seasons.

One of the best scenes. Another: Tywin arrives at Harrenhal

the way they frame Charles Dance in every shot, the music, the intimidation visibly felt by every character he speaks to. goosebumps

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Mon May 20, 2019 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^ I need THAT dude in charge of my army. Jaysis are there levels to this acting thing.

Imagine Tywin alive to arrange the siege defenses at Winterfell...

bet there wouldn't have been any unfortified trebuchets or other mind boggling garbage

the white walker army would've thrown up a flag before moon rise because half of its forces were bribed to defect

night king would've been red herringed out to a causeway toll plaza and wacked by the freys

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Mon May 20, 2019 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject:

LOL at missandei

We also got god knows how many minutes of a (bleep) pointless romance between Brienne and Jaime that ultimately crescendos, er, sputters into him tooting and booting her and then immediately realizing, as any man would, that Brienne's best would never be as good as incest (with either of his siblings), and then riding away only to get killed by falling building materials.

Like with everything relating to S8, there are major caveats in pacing and execution, but Jaimie's story is a classic tragedy which subverts his redemption arc. It supports one of the main messages of the story, helpfully reiterated in the finale, that love is the death of duty. Brienne was always (from Season 3) the foil and alternative to Cersei, and that he turned away from her is how they (wisely) chose to ground (failed) Jaimie's redemption story.

This is the kind of cynical, detached criticism I expect to see on reddit.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

LOL at missandei

Like with everything relating to S8, there are major caveats in pacing and execution, but Jaimie's story is a classic tragedy which subverts his redemption arc. It supports one of the main messages of the story, helpfully reiterated in the finale, that love is the death of duty. Brienne was always (from Season 3) the foil and alternative to Cersei, and that he turned away from her is how they (wisely) chose to ground Jaimie's redemption story.

You should post your cynical, detached criticism on reddit, it's sure to get upvotes.

Yeah, if you buy that Jaime's arc was consistently told, or that mid-series Jaime had any continuity with S8 Jaime.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Mon May 20, 2019 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject:

^ I thought Jamie and Theon's arcs were the best in the show.

I think his path in S8 would have been better served over several seasons.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject:

Did they ever explain what happened to Illyn Payne, the man who beheaded Ned Stark? And was on Arya’s list?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject:

So who is sansa gonna marry
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Me, I hope
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

- I did like watching Arya sail off for adventure. Seemed fitting.

I think it was fitting if you fill in a lot of gaps with your imagination, but she basically went from a the Winterfell mercenary to Christopher Columbus in like a week.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:

So, is Brienne just allowed to write the history books just like that? Wouldn't that be Samwell's job?

500 years later, for some reason the text tells of a Queen Brienne who single handedly slayed a pack of Dragons with only her Valyrian steel sword.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

Sam took remaining hydrated very serious....

https://twitter.com/bethisloco/status/1130341245170020353
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

Hasta la vista GOT. Sunday nights will never be the same.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject:

I didn't dislike the Finale the way some did. To me, for where they had lead themselves, it worked. Just as an overview:

As I said before the episode, the Bran scenario was something I was not wild about, but the way they did it was reasonable - I like the idea of the Iron Throne being destroyed and someone seemingly "out of the race" replaced the previous convention for determining who lead the realm.

I have been hoping for Dany's death for about 6 seasons now and Jon was absolutely the one person who should kill her. So I'm totally on board with that eventuality. And I liked Tyrion's explanation of how she has always been the cold-blooded person she was at the end - it just lurked under the surface and under the guise of "righteousness" - something some of us have been saying for years.

Tyrion lives, but now is a hand to the King in a completely uninteresting fashion.

Sansa is the rightful ruler of an independent North "as it has always been".

Jon is back to the Night's Watch, where his journey began and not the King that was his birthright, but he was never truly suited for.

And Arya sails off to explore unknown worlds as the badass she is. She was always a wanderer who never knew what would come next.

The way I would sum it up is "Fitting". Fits the corners they had painted themselves into and fits the characters. Could have been a lot worse and this was much better than most of the other scenarios thrown around.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

Thug24Life8 wrote:
Wow that was such a huge let down. I can't believe Jon got so (bleep) in the end. Is he even with the nights watch or just with the wildlings? From being King of the North to the rightful ruler of the throne to this... straight bullsh!t.

He is King of the North - it's just the extreme North. It is where he is supposed to be. He was at his best while on the Watch and was never suited for the Iron Throne.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

It thought a perfect example of how sped up everything was took place in the dialogue near the end between Tyrion and Bran....(summary, I do not recall exact quotes)

Tyrion - says some sentences why Bran should be king.

Bran - "But I don't want it"

Tyrion - says a couple more sentences why Bran should be king.

Bran - "Why do you think I traveled all this way"

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
-
-- I personally would have been more pleased if Grey Worm would have been killed....never cared for the character.

THIS! I get that he was supposed to be this rigorous servant, but there was no depth to the character and his complete disassociation from true right and wrong just rendered the character devoid of anything to like or admire.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Me, I hope

Jo Jonas beat u to it

Finale was ok, kinda the ‘everybody go on their separate ways’. I like how in the end Jon was like, no wife at the nightwatch lol, I’m going with the free folk hunnies.
Greyworm follows ‘orders’ til the end like an unsullied but finally sail to freedom
Drogon heartbroken and fly away to east was nice
Sansa is the clear winner, got her own kingdom

Overall better than episode 5
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
-
-- I personally would have been more pleased if Grey Worm would have been killed....never cared for the character.

THIS! I get that he was supposed to be this rigorous servant, but there was no depth to the character and his complete disassociation from true right and wrong just rendered the character devoid of anything to like or admire.

The bolded is how I've felt about Sansa since ... Battle of the Bastards.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
You’re a better man than me, because he had it coming. Lost? Friends? Really? Why not the suite life of Zach and Cody? Or keeping up with the kardashians?

Those are 2 very popular shows. I don't think it's that surprising that someone likes them. I started watching Friends in 3rd grade. It ended when I was a senior in high school. It shaped my personality to a degree since I watched it so much during formative years so it has a special place in my heart.

As for Lost, I can get the jokes on Friends but Lost I thought would be on another level. I thought it was great. I was fully invested for the entire run. I can take disagreement but being made fun of is a bit much.

Vish, I was just messing with you. The kardashian thing was meant to make it obvious.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Did they ever explain what happened to Illyn Payne, the man who beheaded Ned Stark? And was on Arya’s list?

The actor who played him had cancer for awhile and had to leave the show but I read his it is in remission.

It would have been nice but Arya got her revenge on Meryn Trant, Walder Frey, and Littlefinger.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

I thought it was pretty good. I knew it would be an okay-to-pretty-good ending, not on the level of Breaking Bad (is anything?).

The Bran thing is meh. It makes sense as others have pointed out. It's just hard to care for a robot.

Jon finally gets to fully embrace his northern roots, happy to be Snow/Stark. Since the NW has no real purpose anymore he's essentially a free man. The Unsullied and Dothraki are just too dumb to realize that the sentence isn't really the same thing since the white walkers are gone and the free folk are no longer enemies.

Sansa gets to complete what Robb and Jon tried to do: a free an independent North. She has the southern political knowledge and the northern values so that kingdom will be fine.

Arya was done really well, IMO. After Gendry we knew she wasn't going to be a Lady. Then Sandor finally gets her to realize that she needs to give up killing and revenge before that's all her life is. I was so happy they didn't have her kill anyone (Dany) in the finale because it would have seemed like a step back. Now she gets to do things that the namesake for her wolf did - explore new lands.

Dany completed her Shakespearean tragic hero arc. Well done.

Season 1-4 were top 5 television. After that the quality definitely dropped but still had peaks and valleys (Hardhome, Winds of Winter and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms were high points). It's hard to see the series as a whole right now because of how much different it gets in the final season. But overall it was good.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
You’re a better man than me, because he had it coming. Lost? Friends? Really? Why not the suite life of Zach and Cody? Or keeping up with the kardashians?

Those are 2 very popular shows. I don't think it's that surprising that someone likes them. I started watching Friends in 3rd grade. It ended when I was a senior in high school. It shaped my personality to a degree since I watched it so much during formative years so it has a special place in my heart.

As for Lost, I can get the jokes on Friends but Lost I thought would be on another level. I thought it was great. I was fully invested for the entire run. I can take disagreement but being made fun of is a bit much.

Vish, I was just messing with you. The kardashian thing was meant to make it obvious.

sorry. Late night. I knew it was in jest but should have responded better. I wasn’t actually offended or anything.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
-

The bolded is how I've felt about Sansa since ... Battle of the Bastards.

I couldn't disagree more. Sansa's arc was excellent. She went from a pissy, foolish dolt who simply wanted to marry a prince to a powerful woman with the greatest mind in Westoros and rightful and deserving queen.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 242 of 247
Jump to: