Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Dany continues to be one of the worst characters. She is sold as the altruistic, save the people leader, but is a petulant brat most of the time. Like her response to being given political advice, "I am not a politician, I am a queen".

She has as much subtlety and depth as a character from the Walking Dead (sadly I mean the garbage humans in WD).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Dany continues to be one of the worst characters. She is sold as the altruistic, save the people leader, but is a petulant brat most of the time. Like her response to being given political advice, "I am not a politician, I am a queen".

Agreed. I'm tired of her. Dany was intriguing and dynamic in the first season. But her character has become very flat and extremely predictable. Part of it is the writing, but a large part of it is that I don't think Emilia Clarke has the chops to make the role interesting and nuanced. The writing behind Dany's character could be overcome if they had an actress who was able to evolve and grow the role. But Clarke is as one-dimensional as the role.

The line you quote could easily be very telling and provocative in the hands of an actress who was able to reshape that attitude with a heavy sense of intentional irony as a woman. Instead we just see the same petulant teen that was willfully ignoring good advice as a child.

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:

Agreed. I'm tired of her. Dany was intriguing and dynamic in the first season. But her character has become very flat and extremely predictable. Part of it is the writing, but a large part of it is that I don't think Emilia Clarke has the chops to make the role interesting and nuanced. The writing behind Dany's character could be overcome if they had an actress who was able to evolve and grow the role. The line you quote could easily be very telling and provocative in the hands of an actress who was able to reshape that attitude with a heavy sense of intentional irony as a woman. Instead we just see the same petulant teen that was willfully ignoring good advice as a child.

And the greater irony of a woman whose pet issue is ending slavery, whose greater issue is wanting to rule everyone.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
24 wrote:

She has as much subtlety and depth as a character from the Walking Dead (sadly I mean the garbage humans in WD).

That's actually very true. TWD got really boring for me after S3.

Good thing Peter Dinklage is coming along to prop her up.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Jon Snow has been bugging me lately.
His naive, Johnny GoodGuy act is getting old.
I wish he was south of the wall, he'd be dead by now.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Technically, isn't he south of the wall already?

You know nothing, Jon Snow.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

All of the most interesting characters are dead.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Ever heard of a guy named Tyrion Lannister?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Right. There's so many other interesting characters too. Littlefinger and Varys always keep things interesting with their scheming. The other Lannister kids are interesting as well. Arya. Stannis & Melasandre. Plenty of good characters.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Right. There's so many other interesting characters too. Littlefinger and Varys always keep things interesting with their scheming. The other Lannister kids are interesting as well. Arya. Stannis & Melasandre. Plenty of good characters.

Yeah, I would gladly watch an entire hour of Littlefinger and Varys talking about their sources, plans, and threats. Not only are their characters interesting because of the writing, but the actors who play them are phenomenal as well.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. While I can understand your comment about him being naive on the surface, it's really less about being naive than it is about being an idealist. Hell, if being a good guy is naive, then Ned Stark was as naive as hell (by your description anyway).

Jon may be guilty of believing too much in right and wrong to a fault. But that's not the same as being naive. It's pretty clear that Jon gets it - ALL of it. That's why he has earned respect from people from both sides of the wall as well as in all manners of holding - and garnered contempt on both sides as well.

He is anything but naive. If he were, he'd be long dead on either side of the wall. He has a clearly crafted sense people and how to gauge them, and even manipulate them. The idea that he'd be at more risk SOUTH of the wall doesn't add up. He's faced far more challenges at Castle Black and to the North than he ever would have faced otherwise.

While Jon Snow may not be the most dynamic and compelling character on the show, Snow is one of the more interesting and likable characters for sure - which usually means certain death in Martin's world - so who knows, you may get your wish soon enough.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Given the shear body count of the show at this point it would seem so. But there are still very interesting characters around - and the promise that others will rise.

And as long as the most interesting character of all is still around in his impishness, it's all good.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Technically, isn't he south of the wall already?

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

You know what I mean.

What is dead may never die!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. While I can understand your comment about him being naive on the surface, it's really less about being naive than it is about being an idealist. Hell, if being a good guy is naive, then Ned Stark was as naive as hell (by your description anyway).

Jon may be guilty of believing too much in right and wrong to a fault. But that's not the same as being naive. It's pretty clear that Jon gets it - ALL of it. That's why he has earned respect from people from both sides of the wall as well as in all manners of holding - and garnered contempt on both sides as well.

He is anything but naive. If he were, he'd be long dead on either side of the wall. He has a clearly crafted sense people and how to gauge them, and even manipulate them. The idea that he'd be at more risk SOUTH of the wall doesn't add up. He's faced far more challenges at Castle Black and to the North than he ever would have faced otherwise.

While Jon Snow may not be the most dynamic and compelling character on the show, Snow is one of the more interesting and likable characters for sure - which usually means certain death in Martin's world - so who knows, you may get your wish soon enough.

Agree to disagree.

I think Jon Snow would've died at the Red Wedding, the Capitol, or during the sack of Winterfell had he not joined the Night's Watch.

Clinging to ideals is the fastest way to get killed in Westeros. I think he's naive when it comes to the evils of ambition. Evil ambition is deadly in the Realm. It's killed men wiser and stronger than Snow.

The wildlings and the White Walkers aren't expert strategists. They are primitive and animalistic. Their motives and agendas are easy to understand and predict. Not to mention the watch doesn't have to take new land, they only have to maintain land they've already conquered and know (Castle Black and other castles on the wall).

I'd much rather have to defend land with others who can't betray me (without penalty of death) then deal with the complex, constantly-shifting politics of the Realm while leading an army to the Capitol. No doubt about it in my mind, if Snow wasn't in the watch he'd be doing everything possible to avenge Ned, Robb, and his other family members presumed dead. I think it's safe to say he'd suffer a similar fate as the older males in his immediate family.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject:

This is why you don't bring Jon Snow to a dinner party

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
seeing that unsullied guy cuddling with a prostitute has got to be the most bizarre scene in that episode.

That was a great scene. It made a great deal of sense that the poor eunuch would simply be desirous of some kind and gentle contact having been denied a childhood and having his sexuality literally ripped away from him. Then, to have the source of that very basic comfort be the source of his violent death, that was a great moment.

interesting interpretation and it sounds accurate. my first reaction was being weirded out, so i didn't really stop to analyze the scene.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
C M B wrote:

I enjoy Tyrion, and Baelish, and Cersei, but not nearly as much as Tywin, Ned Stark, Hound, Mance, Ros...forgive me, it was more a statement of favoritism and bitterness than anything else.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

So much for ratings going down, the premiere sets a new record for the series.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
C M B wrote:

I enjoy Tyrion, and Baelish, and Cersei, but not nearly as much as Tywin, Ned Stark, Hound, Mance, Ros...forgive me, it was more a statement of favoritism and bitterness than anything else.

I'd spoil something but best to see what direction the show's writers take.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:

I wonder how that factors in HBO Go and HBO Now? And why can't HBO call this the same thing?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
This is why you don't bring Jon Snow to a dinner party

Haha, that is great!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

I wonder how that factors in HBO Go and HBO Now? And why can't HBO call this the same thing?

Two separate products. The distinctions are relatively minor, but they are different.

http://help.hbonow.com/app/answers/detailHBO/a_id/125/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyOTA0MTA2MC9zaWQvT3IyR01Tam0%3D
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

Think the 8 million viewers are just the overnight Nielsen ratings, maybe with DVR maybe not. That number will certainly balloon over the week with HBO Go and Now in the fold. Wouldn't be surprised if it breaks 20 million when HBO shows the numbers.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

Think the 8 million viewers are just the overnight Nielsen ratings, maybe with DVR maybe not. That number will certainly balloon over the week with HBO Go and Now in the fold. Wouldn't be surprised if it breaks 20 million when HBO shows the numbers.

Yep. Ratings figures are based on viewers at time of broadcast. Digital formats (streaming and DVR) are tracked and tabulated separately, but not included in standard ratings reports.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

yeah.. it just created more hype.. well done HBO
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 99 of 247
Jump to: