Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^^ As a book reader, I've watched this series with my sister and her husband. We basically end the viewing by me going over the details etc. I can only imagine how overwhelming the gajillion names might be. Captions is a great idea!

One great resource is the little extra clips that come with the DVDs. These are little explanations narrated by the actors in the show of the historical references and various houses that make up this world. This show makes a lot of references to people and events you'll never see and these kind of fill in the blanks. You can find most of these clips on YouTube.

Also, look for a YT contributor named Comic Book Girl 19. She does her own breakdown of the various houses.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Eh, after the Wire, BB was like, "nice, but overhyped "

The Wire was masterfully written and the acting great.

But BB had so many deeper levels of detail and attention that I can't take "nice but overhyped" seriously.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
1.) Sopranos / The Wire
2.) etc

1.) The Wire / Breaking Bad / Game of Thrones / The Simpsons
2.) etc
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

Folks think that Sansa is preggers eh? Dayum, that's f'ed up.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

The Wire is the most overrated show of all time. I got through 1.5 seasons and stopped because it was just not hooking me. I don't see the hype on it.

The Sopranos>>The Wire
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
The Wire is the most overrated show of all time. I got through 1.5 seasons and stopped because it was just not hooking me. I don't see the hype on it.

The Sopranos>>The Wire

Got to s3 for me and i just stopped.

I figured two seasons would be more than enough to grab me, but it wasnt. No real complaint on the first two seasons though.. i guess my coworker said it best.. at the time it came out, it was a fantastic series, shows are so well produced now that if you go back and watch it today, its not as good.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
^^ As a book reader, I've watched this series with my sister and her husband. We basically end the viewing by me going over the details etc. I can only imagine how overwhelming the gajillion names might be. Captions is a great idea!

One great resource is the little extra clips that come with the DVDs. These are little explanations narrated by the actors in the show of the historical references and various houses that make up this world. This show makes a lot of references to people and events you'll never see and these kind of fill in the blanks. You can find most of these clips on YouTube.

Also, look for a YT contributor named Comic Book Girl 19. She does her own breakdown of the various houses.

ComicBookGirl19 and EmergencyAwesome have been incredibly helpful in understanding everything.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

ComicBookGirl19 and EmergencyAwesome have been incredibly helpful in understanding everything.

His breakdown after each episode has helped quite a bit, he'll even point out where the tv show has diverged from the book.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

I thought that could be the case too, but I don't know! I figured they have some weird abortion remedies that she could take, if that were what she was implying, so I think she'd take care of it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
tlim wrote:

I thought that could be the case too, but I don't know! I figured they have some weird abortion remedies that she could take, if that were what she was implying, so I think she'd take care of it.

Milk of the Poppy is a solution that's been used before with other characters.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
tlim wrote:

Man, that stuff does everything. Its the tussin of Westeros
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
tlim wrote:

Fancy name for liquefied Cocaine and Heroin in milk
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

Give it to Melisandre. She's great with kids!

JK. Everyone knows I'm loyal to House Bolton.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:

The Sopranos>>The Wire

The Wire is easily in that tiny handful of shows that are undeniably in the field of greatest television so far.

I'd rate The Sopranos and The Wire pretty much equal, and yet hard to compare. While they have similarities in quality, they are dissimilar in sensibility and approach.

As great as they both are, they are from a different era in television. Those are two shows that demanded that other shows step their game up, and certain shows met the challenge.

Shows like Game of Throwns and Breaking Bad are a different breed form Wire and Sopranos.

GOT is an epic fantasy, deep in lore and backstory that goes even beyond what can be portrayed on screen, and yet what is portrayed on screen in beyond compare for television. BB is epic in a different fashion in that the project has been so deeply thought out that even color palates for the production design are an integral part of the story telling. Every aspect of BB that is seen or heard is planned and measured in the greater scope of the show. The production value of both shows is off the charts.

That's why it is comical when people call BB "over-hyped". It's impossible to overhype a show so rich on every level. I don't quibble with anyone who leans towards the writing in Sopranos or Wire. Both are unquestionable in the best ever category. And there's no doubt they both boast some of the best acting performances the medium has put forth.

But shows like BB take the great story telling and acting and combine them with so many other aspects and do so in stellar fashion.

I loved both The Wire and The Sopranos. But I think I can count the number of times I was awed by the visual scope on either show into a handful of moments. On the other hand, with GOT and BB, those moments are frequent with in an episode. Particularly with BB, since it isn't a show that is heavily dependent on CGI like GOT. There are shots and compositions that rival the great moments in cinema. And as far as editing goes, BB and Better Call Saul are unmatched.

If one's whole roll is storytelling, I can totally see why Sopranos and Wire would be one's favorites. But if you're looking for great storytelling that is also combined with great detail in all the other aspects of production and post-production, shows like BB and GOT are in a different realm.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

I have watched some random GoT episodes, as well as every one of them from season 6, but have started marathoning from season one. I started last Saturday, and am now up to season 3, episode 4. I need to hold myself back, at times, because as good as this show is, you can still get burned out if you watch too many episodes at one time.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Up to the Joffrey death (season 4, ep. 2). To be honest, I actually liked Joffrey. The guy is the most epic troll lol.

I'm also infatuated with Cersei - there are a lot of pretty girls on this show, but she is totally my type. Also, don't mind that Wilding girl, Ygritte. I guess I have weird taste in women.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

The Sopranos>>The Wire

The Wire is easily in that tiny handful of shows that are undeniably in the field of greatest television so far.

I'd rate The Sopranos and The Wire pretty much equal, and yet hard to compare. While they have similarities in quality, they are dissimilar in sensibility and approach.

As great as they both are, they are from a different era in television. Those are two shows that demanded that other shows step their game up, and certain shows met the challenge.

Shows like Game of Throwns and Breaking Bad are a different breed form Wire and Sopranos.

GOT is an epic fantasy, deep in lore and backstory that goes even beyond what can be portrayed on screen, and yet what is portrayed on screen in beyond compare for television. BB is epic in a different fashion in that the project has been so deeply thought out that even color palates for the production design are an integral part of the story telling. Every aspect of BB that is seen or heard is planned and measured in the greater scope of the show. The production value of both shows is off the charts.

That's why it is comical when people call BB "over-hyped". It's impossible to overhype a show so rich on every level. I don't quibble with anyone who leans towards the writing in Sopranos or Wire. Both are unquestionable in the best ever category. And there's no doubt they both boast some of the best acting performances the medium has put forth.

But shows like BB take the great story telling and acting and combine them with so many other aspects and do so in stellar fashion.

I loved both The Wire and The Sopranos. But I think I can count the number of times I was awed by the visual scope on either show into a handful of moments. On the other hand, with GOT and BB, those moments are frequent with in an episode. Particularly with BB, since it isn't a show that is heavily dependent on CGI like GOT. There are shots and compositions that rival the great moments in cinema. And as far as editing goes, BB and Better Call Saul are unmatched.

If one's whole roll is storytelling, I can totally see why Sopranos and Wire would be one's favorites. But if you're looking for great storytelling that is also combined with great detail in all the other aspects of production and post-production, shows like BB and GOT are in a different realm.

Very well put and I agree 100%.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject:

oh tommen
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Weak episode this week.

Watching the preview for next weeks episode, I think there won't be alot of violence either.
I know character development is important. But I just want to see some action. Sigh
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Not really much to talk about...Did Dany tell them all to wait there just so she could make that entrance with the dragon?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Weak episode this week.

"Weak" should have been this week's episode title to describe Tommen and Sam. Someone should just give Tommen a royal wedgie, throw him in a gym locker or a good kick in the pants. I have no idea why were forced to endure the travels of Sam and Gillie. More than half the episode was wasted on their two storylines.

I don't see how Weiss and Benioff are going to wrap everything up in 17 more episodes at the the pace they're going.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Not really much to talk about...Did Dany tell them all to wait there just so she could make that entrance with the dragon?

Yeah, pretty much and so we the audience could enjoy another "Hail Dany!" ending to an episode.

OK. We get it. She's a popular girl. Now go conquer something.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

+1 to another ending where everyone's kissing Dany's shoes
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Blahh, weak episode.

FIRE MITCH
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Eh, after the Wire, BB was like, "nice, but overhyped "

The Wire was masterfully written and the acting great.

But BB had so many deeper levels of detail and attention that I can't take "nice but overhyped" seriously.

Fair enough. It was well written and detailed, and the acting was superb, but on many levels for me, from a literary or maybe spiritual standpoint, it felt like there was no there there. Like it was written by a master craftsman, but not an artist. But that's just me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 140 of 247
Jump to: