Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

[No spoilers. Repost thoughts without spoilers.]

Last edited by rockyp on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

SPOILERS/LEAKS ARE HITTING THE INTERWEBS HARD. MOVE CAUTIOUSLY. DO NOT BRING THEM IN HERE. you shall not pass. S/O to the convo above on how to avoid youtube title spoilers
thankfully I've dodged all spoilers
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
SPOILERS/LEAKS ARE HITTING THE INTERWEBS HARD. MOVE CAUTIOUSLY. DO NOT BRING THEM IN HERE. you shall not pass. S/O to the convo above on how to avoid youtube title spoilers

man, i hope something i read today on youtube wasn't accurate. the only thing i've had spoiled for me was tarly roasting alive, but i didn't know dickon would be part of it.

i'll watch a lower quality video, but i don't want scripts leaking. ruins the speculation and theories and everything.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Martin has been taking a lot of heat here for not finishing the book. Everyone has to understand that for years he was some underground troll looking guy that would supplement his earnings at Comicon and the like. S9 he may have had a few geeklike groupies. But since the HBO series took off he's a frigging rockstar. A friend of mine from Santa Fe knows him and confirms he now has got class A groupies. He's driving around in his custom purple Tesla with hot babes. Look at the guy. Can you really blame him for not finishing the books?

I don't blame him, as in think of him as less of a person. That's absurd. He should enjoy his life if that's what he wants.

But in the context of why the show isn't (IMO) quite up to the standard of the first 3-4 seasons, I blame him (and not as much the showrunners). I rewatched this past episode and I thought the writing was actually fine... it just has structural issues. I suspect the reason Tyrion's plan (to get a wight to show Cersei) is so stupid is because Martin requested for Jon Snow to be at Eastwatch as he plans on it for his book, and the writers couldn't come up with anything better (understandable).
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

man, i hope something i read today on youtube wasn't accurate. the only thing i've had spoiled for me was tarly roasting alive, but i didn't know dickon would be part of it.

i'll watch a lower quality video, but i don't want scripts leaking. ruins the speculation and theories and everything.

lol ya man, gotta be careful
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Martin has been taking a lot of heat here for not finishing the book. Everyone has to understand that for years he was some underground troll looking guy that would supplement his earnings at Comicon and the like. S9 he may have had a few geeklike groupies. But since the HBO series took off he's a frigging rockstar. A friend of mine from Santa Fe knows him and confirms he now has got class A groupies. He's driving around in his custom purple Tesla with hot babes. Look at the guy. Can you really blame him for not finishing the books?

I don't blame him, as in think of him as less of a person. That's absurd. He should enjoy his life if that's what he wants.

But in the context of why the show isn't (IMO) quite up to the standard of the first 3-4 seasons, I blame him (and not as much the showrunners). I rewatched this past episode and I thought the writing was actually fine... it just has structural issues. I suspect the reason Tyrion's plan (to get a wight to show Cersei) is so stupid is because Martin requested for Jon Snow to be at Eastwatch as he plans on it for his book, and the writers couldn't come up with anything better (understandable).

Last season was a top 2 season for me
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Same. I read a possible spoiler in the facebook comments section on one of the GOT video posts and I'm going to be pretty pissed if it turns out to be accurate.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject:

Episode Leaked!!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tox wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Well, the highlights were incredible (Hold the Door, BotB, The Winds of Winter), but I don't think the writing was nearly as tight as in the first few seasons. I don't even want to think about how God freaking awful Arya's entire plotline was. And even the finale has somewhat been retroactively ruined by Cersei having literally 0 political consequences for burning the Queen, the Pope, and the Vatican. The same thing happened with Euron and Ramsay both kinslaying: literally zero consequences for their action. Same thing in Dorne (can I pretend Dorne never existed?)

I liked S6 a lot, but the layered, intricate writing had already started to unravel.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

Game of Thrones episode 6 leaked. Quailty is crapola. But I can't help myself
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Game of Thrones episode 6 leaked. Quailty is crapola. But I can't help myself

really? i downloaded a 1080p version.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject:

Crap. Someone in my test prep class downloaded it so I ended class early so we could all watch. I succumbed. Like a moth to a flame. I immediately regret it. I'm not going to spoil it but holy (bleep). Gonna get a burst lung holding this info in.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Crap. Someone in my test prep class downloaded it so I ended class early so we could all watch. I succumbed. Like a moth to a flame. I immediately regret it. I'm not going to spoil it but holy (bleep). Gonna get a burst lung holding this info in.

Same here. I'm just gonna ban myself from this thread till late Sunday night.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject:

I've read the leaked scripts for the remainder of the season, and looks like someone else on this thread read it too and is posting further developments as if he's making theories to look smart afterwards.

Shame on you, man. Is that really what you need in your life to feel good about yourself? That's just bad.

I'm not gonna say who so I don't reveal the spoilers, but SHAME.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tox wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Well, the highlights were incredible (Hold the Door, BotB, The Winds of Winter), but I don't think the writing was nearly as tight as in the first few seasons. I don't even want to think about how God freaking awful Arya's entire plotline was. And even the finale has somewhat been retroactively ruined by Cersei having literally 0 political consequences for burning the Queen, the Pope, and the Vatican. The same thing happened with Euron and Ramsay both kinslaying: literally zero consequences for their action. Same thing in Dorne (can I pretend Dorne never existed?)

I liked S6 a lot, but the layered, intricate writing had already started to unravel.

Right, those are good points about no consequences. I guess they played off the Cercei one like 'all of her enemies were down in the city & burned', and on the other coups , everyone hated the leader's anyway? kinda.. not great......
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

Did @AirKobe8 post a slight spoiler? I read the first sentence and I'm nervous to continue, and some of the last sentence too I glanced at. NO SPOILAS. NO HINTS.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

NO SPOILERS POR FAVOR!!!

Wish someone post a family lineage of everybody (especially the bastards... there's so many of them)
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Alright guys, please no talk about episodes until they actually have aired.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
I've read the leaked scripts for the remainder of the season, and looks like someone else on this thread read it too and is posting further developments as if he's making theories to look smart afterwards.

Shame on you, man. Is that really what you need in your life to feel good about yourself? That's just bad.

I'm not gonna say who so I don't reveal the spoilers, but SHAME.

You shouldn't even say this. Now I can't help but think about stuff I've read and assume that stuff is true. A simple request, if you've seen spoilers either don't post in the thread or limit discussion to already aired episodes. Even things like "Wow that was an exciting episode. So much happened" is a bit of a spoiler. I take my GoT seriously.

On another note, season 6 was easily the best GoT season for me.

Last edited by Vishnu on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

i didn't enjoy Qarth that much and i felt like arya's training could have been better portrayed.

i liked arya's scenes with Tywin, Gendry, Sandor. brienne served as a nice compliment and counter to Jaimie. a person who actually has honor and isn't even a knight.

danny's storyline has oddly been underwhelming for me for the most part except this season i've enjoyed her acting and story.

its moving so fast now.

there are two theories i found intriguing:
tyrion being a targ and third dragon rider and
bran being the night king

bran being the night king sounds ridiculous on the face of it, but the person who postulated it had a very well thought out rationale on redditt.

why is arya so hostile to sansa?? some say she knows what littlefinger is upto and is playing him, but i think she's legit being played. i know they are opposites and had a sibling childhood feud of sorts but still....

my initial instinct was Cersei was lying because she's so full of crap, but in retrospect i think she was probably telling the truth. maybe it would make her softer or more reasonable, but then i thought of her almost poisoning tommen. she might go even more nuts if something were to happen....her and Qyburn what trap are they cooking up for danny and crew.....
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

^ I don't think there is anything wrong with Cersei poisoning herself and Tommen considering what happened to the last queen and her children when the throne was usurped (they were raped and murdered brutally). When death seemed inevitable she was simply trying to avoid a terrible death for her son.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I don't think there is anything wrong with Cersei poisoning herself and Tommen considering what happened to the last queen and her children when the throne was usurped (they were sexually assaulted and murdered brutally). When death seemed inevitable she was simply trying to avoid a terrible death for her son.

oh i know i didn't mean that to signify her cruelty if anything it was a mercy for her child (her one redeeming quality, and her cheek bones).

i meant this new child might be a motivation to temper the crazy, or (if anything happens), kick it into overdrive.

her prophecy never mentioned 4 children.....where does her arc go from here?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
^ I don't think there is anything wrong with Cersei poisoning herself and Tommen considering what happened to the last queen and her children when the throne was usurped (they were sexually assaulted and murdered brutally). When death seemed inevitable she was simply trying to avoid a terrible death for her son.

oh i know i didn't mean that to signify her cruelty if anything it was a mercy for her child (her one redeeming quality, and her cheek bones).

i meant this new child might be a motivation to temper the crazy, or (if anything happens), kick it into overdrive.

her prophecy never mentioned 4 children.....where does her arc go from here?

Jaime has repeated the line "the things we do for the ones we love" and I think that that will have some significance in what happens with the Lannisters. At least one of them is going to die because of another.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tox wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2017/8/15/16147994/ask-the-maester-season-7-episode-5-eastwatch

The first paragraph in this article sums up my thoughts perfectly. Like you said, the high points make for freakin' amazing television (arguably some GOAT TV moments), but it seems like the writers have pretty much chosen to focus all their energy on those scenes, rather than the all-important build-up to those scenes. And that's why they barely have any time to dedicate to showing the consequences of characters' actions in between and any fall-out from all the big reveals - they're too busy moving the plot forward at a breakneck pace. But maybe that's the best solution to keep the show relevant and exciting while consolidating and wrapping up all the storylines (and killing some (bleep) ones off completely *coughDornecough*), given the budget and time constraints. It's definitely got everyone talking GOT more than I ever recall, with some help from all the leaks

I like your theory about GRRM ultimately wanting certain characters in certain places as the story nears its close. Jon going back beyond the Wall is such a silly plan, and doesn't make much sense plot-wise since he's already been there and done that in Hardhome, which is what's fueled his character's resolve in tackling the WW problem above all in the 1.5 seasons since. He's the only one in power that knows just how deadly the threat is, so now he's willing to throw that all away for a mission with basically a >1% success rate? But since the show had him go to Hardhome first unlike the books, they have to "course-correct" in a ridiculous (but sure to be entertaining) manner.

Luckily, I think this may have been the final set-up episode and hopefully the pieces are all in place to unveil GRRM's end game, more or less.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

We might have to put out the bat signal for Brandon Sanderson to finish the books. He'll have them done in 2 years tops.

Along with five other books...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 187 of 247
Jump to: