Green Lantern Movie - Flops in Box Office (PG.3) Reviews are bad; WB places embargo on reviews (PG.2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject:

Also, Reynolds would probably have been better suited to play the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern rather than Hal Jordan.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

I want to see The Flash get his own movie.

That's the role Reynolds should have gotten.

I liked the TV series from 1990. Could just be Amanda Pays though.....
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject:

The budget was suppose to be around 200M (not sure if includes marketing which can add 50+M). Movie receipts goes half to the theater. So this movie needs to gross around 400-500M world wide to break even.

Typically action movies do well abroad, so this movie really needs foreign market to do well since it looks like it will bomb here.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject:

My 1st review and initial 2nd viewing review of Green Lantern in another forum:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=373036

After my 2nd viewing, I now give this film a "C".

Quote:
I originally said I was going to see this film again with another group of friends and post what my thoughts were. Here is my original review which is on the first page of the Green Lantern Film Thread.

I initially gave it a Rating Summary of "B-" (3/5).

Here is my update, after seeing this film the 2nd time:

Quote:
My 1st viewing was filled with excitement and anticipation, that June 14th night, 3 days before everyone else would see it. Once the movie started and the first sight of Abin Sur in a Green Lantern outfit got me all giddy! As the movie trailed, my excitement became a little more confounding with questions and angst on some opportunities this movie may have missed, but nonetheless the sight of seeing Green Lantern on screen was an enjoyable experience overall.

My 2nd viewing was much more different however.

The 2nd time I came into see the film, I was basically filled with a lot more frustration and even found myself getting angry a lot.

DIALOG:

Maybe I missed it the first time (seeing it with other AMC employees who were a bit louder than normal movie viewers) but the script must be horrendous. Some of the lines delivered by Hal Jordan and most especially Blake Lively sounded corny to downright just cheesy. You get lines like:

"But you have courage Hal... you're... courageous."

Or this little beauty:

"Wow, you're a superhero! Wait... don't the superheroes get the girl?"

Or one of my favorites (sarcasm):

"The bigger they are, the faster they burn!!!"

There was even a scene where Carol was yelling at Hal ticked off from the training exercise then leaves while trailing with "... I just don't want you... to get hurt." Exit stage, camera pans to Hal feeling guilty, and cut! I mean it's so Broadway or early 50's cinema dialog.

PACING:

The pacing was off. There was a scene where Hal first reveals himself to the public by creating a dragster with a speedway. You would think the people would be like HOLY (bleep), but no, the general public has no reaction aside from being stunned and a girl recording a video on her phone. But you expect maybe after it sinks in the next day, people will get that HOLY (bleep) moment. But no... the next scene was basically back to Hal's apartment where his friend visits him and Hal reveals his identity (trailer). Then the scene abruptly cuts when the friend says the "you're a superhero" line (above example) "don't superheroes get the girl" with an awkward transition to Carol's house in the next scene.

We don't get any public scene again until the end, where we get Parallax now invading the earth, and all the people are looking up like "Ok, what's this, let's start running!" With no build-up at all. It was just basically going from scene to scene with no emotion. Basically like the director going "cut, cut, okay next scene."

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT:

As I mentioned in my earlier review, not to expect deep character developments. I almost totally forgot about the scene with Hal's family (very forgettable scene) where the movie tries to illicit sympathy to the viewers by showing the "human" side of Hal and his family. It was more cheesy than I remembered. They only get 1 scene out of the entire film, and it's forgettable.

The scenes where Hal was talking about fear and courage to the Guardians was uninspiring with more of the screenplay looking like "Ok, the final battle is coming up, so on this scene let's pour out more sympathy to the viewers." And the scene works to a degree, but it's killed by uninspired and over trying dialog again.

Not once did I ever felt sympathy or even cared to root for Hal Jordan. Not once. Nor did I care about poor Hector Hammond, and the abysmal acting of Carol Ferris.

The only sympathy I had was that Kilowog and Toma-re were in the movie for only 7 minutes total.

Like I mentioned in my 1st review, a lot of missed opportunities between Hal and Sinestro, or even Hal and Hector Hammond (shocking).

SPOILER ----- Hammond's demise was unmoving. And Sinestro's heel turn / fall from grace had no emotional impact on me whatsoever; it just looked geeky cool. ----- END SPOILER.

Talk about making a sequel with no emotional pull.

The movie and the characters were just "cool" but they just had no real emotional feelings tied into them.

FINAL BATTLE:

You have the scene near the induction of Hal Jordan where Sinestro informs the thousands of Green Lantern Corps about the impending danger of Parallax. It was a good start for the build up of the gravity of the main villain.

You then see Hal Jordan practice in Oa on how to use his powers. The training lasts only 5 minutes LITERALLY. If you watch the scene it transitions from Toma-re to Kilowog to Sinestro in one full scene with no breaks in between to suggest it was more than just 5 minutes of training. It was LITERALLY just 5 minutes of REAL TIME training, before Hal decides he's not brave enough (illicit sympathy check) and flies back to earth.

Then when Parallax appeared, Hal flies to Oa to get help from the Guardians who basically just gave Hal a silent STFU. So Hal goes to earth and and faces the Parallax, the same Parallax just 50 minutes ago in the movie was, the galaxy's biggest threat that needed all thousands of Green Lanterns to unite and has already killed at least 5 Green Lanterns (told in the backstory + Abin Sur). Hal faces him solo and kills the Parallax all by himself in a scene that lasted basically 5 minutes. Wasted the whole build up in the beginning.

No wonder Hal only needed 5 minutes of "real time" training. And if you've seen the latest WB trailer where Hal saves a woman from the Parallax, that's basically 1/3rd of the whole final battle right there.

RATING:

All in all, seeing the film for a 2nd time was not a good idea. I rated this movie a B- at first. And honestly, looking back it was more of me trying to relate why the movie took the route it took. Also I had a bit of defensive apprehension while I was discussing this with my friend (who gave it a C then later a C+ after discussing it with me). Some of you guys said my initial review was "charitable", and looking back it, it seems that yes, I was.

After my 2nd viewing, I now give this film a "C".

This is a movie that it's hard to enjoy after a 2nd preview, because the issues that you may have missed while you were in awe of the beauty of Green Lantern in the big screen, will now come to light and will basically blind you in the face.

The movie was just not engaging at all.

For a film that talks about the "Rules of Engagement", it just was NOT ENGAGING.

BEST MOMENT:

- When Hal Jordan recited the oath the first time, it was actually well and funny, and when he finally "gets" the oath, it had the "wow" moments.

- The training with the Green Lantern Corps (all 5 real time minutes of it) was way better than every other action scene in the film.

- Scenes in Oa.

- When Sinestro opens his mouth... golden.

LEAST FAVORITE MOMENT:

- Final battle scene that lasted almost as long as Hal's training.

- Most of the earth scenes were boring.

- When Carol Ferris opens her mouth... ugh.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject:

No wonder Warner Bro's just did a round of layoffs. Probably expecting massive losses.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Saw GL tonight, and the movie bored me to (bleep). It was lifeless.

Plus there were these dudes a lot of them at least 10-12 all wearing green Celtics jerseys everywhere in the theater. I feel like I was in Boston and all the Cetlics fan came out to see Green Lantern. Man I hate green and I hated this (bleep) film.
UscAllDay16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject:

I saw it tonight, if you are expecting to be "wow'd" your gonna be disappointed,much like everyone figured, i enjoyed it, its a dumb entertaining movie, luckily i had a groupon, 2 tix for 5 bucks, otherwise i wouldnt have wasted my money on full price tickets.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject:

Saw this from another site.

I don't care if me posting this will SPOIL the movie for some of you, because this will save your hard earned $$$.

Quote:
What I really HATED was the final battle.

Near beginning, you had Sinestro gathering the 3,000 Lantern Corps to prepare to battle the Parallax as the galaxy's greatest threat who has already killed 5-6 Green Lanterns including Abin Sur.

Fast forward 50 minutes later, you have a Rookie Hal Jordan defeat Parallax all by himself in less than 5 minutes movie time by constucting a boxing glove and punching Phallanx into the sun!

That's it. Where the hell were the other 3,000 Green Lanterns!!?

LAME.

Stupid build up for the lamest final battle ever.

Thank God I didn't waste a whole $12 to see this CRAP.

Quote:
Maybe you should use spoiler tags.

Quote:
Trust me, I'm saving you your $12 to watch something else.

And there you have it folks!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
rchanou wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:
The only good D.C. series out there is Batman. Damn Wonder Woman couldn't even get it's Pilot episode on the air. Marvel is kicking ass: X-Men was good, Thor was really cool, and Captain America looks pretty awesome.

I think Marvel is more about quantity. Plus, they have a lot more recognizable characters.

Batman, Superman, The Flash, Incredible Hulk, Green Lantern... All big time characters.

I use the litmus test of my sisters to determine if something has name recognition. They know NOTHING about comics.

Thor..somewhat. The Norse God...Yes. The Comic Book Thor? Nope

Wonder Woman. Yes

SuperMan. Yes

Spiderman. Yes

Batman. Yes

Captain America. Yes

Hulk. Yes

Flash. Yes

Green Lantern. HELL NO!
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject:

It's okay. They'll just reboot the franchise again in a couple of years and that will be the end of it. If that doesn't work, they'll reboot it again and again. This is how hollywood rolls now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I use the litmus test of my sisters to determine if something has name recognition. They know NOTHING about comics.

Thor..somewhat. The Norse God...Yes. The Comic Book Thor? Nope

Wonder Woman. Yes

SuperMan. Yes

Spiderman. Yes

Batman. Yes

Captain America. Yes

Hulk. Yes

Flash. Yes

Green Lantern. HELL NO!

Yeah, Green Lantern is probably a C-list superhero at best.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject:

It was ok. Wasn't expecting much and it would up being an average comic movie, easily better than xmen 3 and spiderman 3 IMO. I just wish a third of the movie wasn't wasted on Hal Jordan's pity party. Can't wait to see more Sinestro in the 2nd one. He was great even though he had such a small part.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
It was ok. Wasn't expecting much and it would up being an average comic movie, easily better than xmen 3 and spiderman 3 IMO. I just wish a third of the movie wasn't wasted on Hal Jordan's pity party. Can't wait to see more Sinestro in the 2nd one. He was great even though he had such a small part.

That's not a compliment.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

That's not a compliment.

I think it's the lowest compliment I can give before it becomes an insult, like saying, "It was as good as Batman & Robin and Ryan Reynolds was just as good as George Clooney in his super hero debut."
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject:

Deadline: http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/green-lantern-makes-3-35m-midnights/

Box Office: Green Lantern BOMBS
Worse than the Celtics losing Game 7 - I just added that for dramatic effect since both love "green"

Quote:
Warner Bros' 3D Green Lantern ($21.6M Friday, dropping -21% for $17.1M Saturday, and only a $53M weekend) underperforms, unable to meet even the studio's lowered expectation for North America despite the higher 3D ticket prices.

Green Lantern had well-known actor Ryan Reynolds playing the superhero, yet won't come near that other non-sequel Thor's recent $65.7M opening weekend for Marvel yet starring a complete unknown. Even though for weeks now, Green Lantern had been tracking better than Thor, which also was tasked with introducing a superhero to moviegoers.

Warner Bros and DC Entertainment began freaking out Friday about the continuing negative buzz around Green Lantern especially the bad reviews. The studio placed an embargo on movie reviews prior to June 16.

The movie went $50 million over budget, and cost Warner Bros over $200 million to produce with an overall $300 million total after marketing.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject:

What's worse is superhero movies make most of their money in the US (other than Europe, only a very select few superheroes like Spider-man are known overseas. Batman isn't even popular in Asia). That puts a lot of pressure on the 2012 Superman production since DC can't seem to get anything off of the ground except Batman.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
That puts a lot of pressure on the 2012 Superman production since DC can't seem to get anything off of the ground except Batman.

Maybe by then they'll have finalized plans to reboot Batman again.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:

Do they not include Sunday as part of the weekend?
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Deadline: http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/green-lantern-makes-3-35m-midnights/

Box Office: Green Lantern BOMBS
Worse than the Celtics losing Game 7 - I just added that for dramatic effect since both love "green"

Quote:
Warner Bros' 3D Green Lantern ($21.6M Friday, dropping -21% for $17.1M Saturday, and only a $53M weekend) underperforms, unable to meet even the studio's lowered expectation for North America despite the higher 3D ticket prices.

Green Lantern had well-known actor Ryan Reynolds playing the superhero, yet won't come near that other non-sequel Thor's recent $65.7M opening weekend for Marvel yet starring a complete unknown. Even though for weeks now, Green Lantern had been tracking better than Thor, which also was tasked with introducing a superhero to moviegoers.

Warner Bros and DC Entertainment began freaking out Friday about the continuing negative buzz around Green Lantern especially the bad reviews. The studio placed an embargo on movie reviews prior to June 16.

The movie went $50 million over budget, and cost Warner Bros over $200 million to produce with an overall $300 million total after marketing.

They need to rake in 600M to break even. What was WB thinking? Huge loss. Execs should be fired.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
PrairieAve wrote:
That puts a lot of pressure on the 2012 Superman production since DC can't seem to get anything off of the ground except Batman.

Maybe by then they'll have finalized plans to reboot Batman again.

We'll see what happens to Batman once Nolan leaves, and they pull another reboot.

Three Words:

Batman and Robin.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject:

The reviews are over-the-top and unjustified.

The acting is solid enough, and the visuals are great. The actions sequences are well done. If anything, though, the script is the weak link. Tons of subplots are added at the risk of jamming as many cliches in it as possible.

Eliminate:

(1) the part with Jordan's nephew,
(2) the shoehorned aspect of Hammond having some out-of-left-filed stalker crush on Ferris, and
(3) the unnecessarily big, gleaming, hi-tech set where they do the alien autopsy scenes...

... and do more to on
(1) GL's training, and
(2) GL saving everyone from the Parallax attack

and it would have been a tighter, better movie.

Campbell's a solid director (Casino Royale, Mask of Zorro), but this was an ENORMOUS production, and I don't think he knew how to rein it in and make the story tighter. On Zorro, he had Spielberg overseeing the whole thing. On Casino Royale, he had the entire Bond production company to keep things in line.

Honestly, I'd have given the movie a B-, because the potential was there.

Of course, Rotten Tomatoes said Roger Ebert, with his 2.5 out of 4 stars, gave a "rotten" review, even though they called other critics' 2.5/4 ratings as "fresh" and media are saying Ebert gave it a fair and positive review, so who knows what they're doing.

MIM
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject:

movie was ok. typical Superhero movie, where good battles evil, and superhero somehow tricks an almost clueless "super evil villain" into the sun.

lol

it was kids movie.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject:

I went into the movie knowing the movie was going to suck, but DAMN! it shocked me how bad the movie was. Even with the free admission I felt robbed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: