Is it time to make some moves?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should the Lakers do?
trade Odom for Peja and Skinner
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
trade Odom and George for Francis and Battie
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
trade Mihm for Nene
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
No need to panic now!
64%
 64%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 34

Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Is it time to make some moves?

Well this is a very frustrating start indeed. All of our key players are playing below potential, our frontcourt is weak, and it seems like the only person who can consistently score on this team is Kobe, and he needs over 30 shots to do this.

On the other hand, Phil's offense takes some time to learn, and so perhaps a slow start is to be expected.

Still, the big question: is it panic time?

and if so, what REALISTIC moves could we make to better this team?

I don't think getting KG qualifies here guys, sorry...

So here's a few trade possibilities (all of which work out on realgm), some of which have been discussed before... just curious what you all think is the best move.

The options (and feel free to add your own):

1. Odom to the Kings for Peja and Skinner.... this is the one that tempts me most. Peja would give us a real scorer and would spread the floor for Kobe. Skinner would give us some much needed depth up front. Odom still intrigues me with his potential, but how long do you wait for it to really materialize? Also, I think that the Kings would do this, since they could very well lose Peja in a couple years anyways, and since they could certainly use a multi-talented distributor like Odom on a team that does actually have more than one other person who can put the ball in the hoop.

Bottom line: I wouldn't do this now, but if the next month finds us not making any progress, then I say go for it...

2. Odom and George for Francis and Battie... like the last trade this one is predicated on the idea that Lamar just can't cut it as the 2nd option. I'd think that Orlando would do this, and we would get a real scorer plus a decent front court player...
Bottom line: don't be fooled by this one... Francis and Kobe sounds like a recipe for disaster, and yes guys, things can actually get worse... even if Lamar never progresses, I think that a proposed trade such as this suggests that there are even worse alternatives...

3. Mihm to Denver for Nene... you may ask, SAY WHAT? But hear me out here... If Denver seems like they could get their act together and make a serious run to go deep in the playoffs, they could really use a player like Mihm to shore up their front court... and they will probably lose Nene anyway.. so this seems like a no brainer for them. For us... well I certainly wouldn't do this now, but if by the trade deadline it looks like we have little to no chance to make the playoffs, then I would make this move for the future. Nene is a significantly better front court player than Mihm, and in the long term this would be a steal. Bottom line: if we continue to suck, make this move for the future!

4. No major moves... this team just needs time to gel.

Bottom line: this is my recommendation for right now, but if we don't seem to at least tread water over the next month, then I say its time to make some moves!!!
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:

no...this team is steadily on the rise.
Wags_16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Well if they trade Mihm make sure it's not for someone that's not out for the rest of the season. I think they should wait until the end of December and then reevaluate the situation.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Aside from the 1st qtr against the spurs.... and the melt down vs UTAH (which was self inflicted by a certain person) the team execution has been on the rise.
Guys are maintaining proper spacing..in the correct spots and making the right passes...
They are taking what the defense gives.

Should be interesting to see how it all unfolds once Kobe starts playing better, Kwame comes back and George can supply a spark off the bench.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:

We need to find a player who is more intelligent than Kobe and at least has some sort of Basketball IQ... dude is stunted .. .jacking up shot after shot after shot after.. you get my point..

What has he done for this franchise lately anyways..
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe should be traded for a ball of yarn and a ham sandwich. Preferable with mustard.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject:

jmnluvr wrote:
Kobe should be traded for a ball of yarn and a ham sandwich. Preferable with mustard.

I don't want mustard, but I will take extra onions.

As stupid as many elite basketball analysts on LG think Kobe is I doubt he would even be worth a cheap hot dog.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm picking up what you're laying down...question is, is anyone else?
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject:

5. None of the above.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject:

lo for peja and skinner. In a freaken heartbeat
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Start Magic at the point, Kareem at center and Worthy at PF.

With Kareem at center we can play small at PF with Worthy. We have 4 legit scoreres, perfect for Odom, so we hang on to him.

Our lineup should look like this:

PG- Magic
SG- Kobe
SF- Odom
PF- Worthy
C- Kareem

It's a bit of a stretch I know, but does anyone have a better idea?
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Odom for Artest. Odom for Boozer. I don't want francis or marbury. Mihm for Nene?? A blown out knee for a heartless player. Pretty even trade. I don't see much chance of really being able to make a move that is more than lateral.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
Odom for Artest. Odom for Boozer. I don't want francis or marbury. Mihm for Nene?? A blown out knee for a heartless player. Pretty even trade. I don't see much chance of really being able to make a move that is more than lateral.

I'm afraid I agree with you that we are unlikely to vastly improve the team through a trade...

I threw the Mihm for Nene in as something of a desparate afterthought... if my worse fears come true and this is really another season out of the playoffs, we might as well make a trade like this for the future (presuming Nene can fully recover).

I am glad to see that most of those who responded here agree with me that it is not yet panic time... though I fear it might be soon. Come on Phil, work your magic!

By the way... the post above about Magic, Kareem and Worthy is interesting because as the Lakers struggle more and more, I find myself longing for the real glory days. In fact I have two different teams on my PS2... one basically the current Lakers and the other with the great showtime Lakers and without any of the current Lakers. These days I find myself playing only with Magic's team...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: