Which is better for the team? Scorer Kobe or Playmaker Kobe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is better for the team?
Scorer Kobe?
41%
 41%  [ 28 ]
Playmaker Kobe?
58%
 58%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 67

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Which is better for the team? Scorer Kobe or Playmaker Kobe

I was just wondering which Kobe would have yielded the most results and progress...

1. LBJ-type performance where he looks to dish more than to score...

Let the teammates learn to produce in the triangle and work more on teaching on the court than getting Kobe shots...this would have yielded a rougher start but a lower learning curve as players would have been free-er to make mistakes and learn from these mistakes early on...

It is much easier to teach a player how to work well in a system if you can guarantee him some latitude in the beginning and give him some room to shine in the offense...

2. AI-type performance that is just dominating shots and scoring with the team treated more as an extension of the star, not as teammates...

This approach gives the team a sense of pecking order, chain of command...this ensures that no role player oversteps his boundary but it is hard to get any of them to step up when they know they always walk the thin line...it cuts down on turnovers but it discourages creativity also...the ball will always find it's way to the best (read franchise) player in this approach, sometimes placing him in precarious situations...

Teaching takes backstage to order...learning is stunted to promote discipline...the triangle execution is exploited in certain areas and the scoring load is forced upon the shoulders of a few...the team ultimately becomes subservient to the whims of the coach and the featured scorer...

This approach ultimately relies on the team being able to put enough points so that Kobe's 30 ppg puts them over...

3. There is a 3rd option which I'm not a fan of...it's the Kobe that takes quarters and pretends to do one or the other, score or make plays...of course, that is not the best thing for the team...it's just presented here for discussion's sake...

I don't pretend to know the future or the intentions of Phil Jackson...I don't know what he did to get MJ and his Bulls ready to compete at an elite level...

I have my opinion of what Kobe's role should be...as Kobe goes, so does the Lakers...
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I want kobe to the playmaker for the frst 3 quarters. Then when we have a comfortable lead.. I want Kobe to finish it and be the scorer.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
I want kobe to the playmaker for the frst 3 quarters. Then when we have a comfortable lead.. I want Kobe to finish it and be the scorer.

me too. some people tend to forget that we were up 18 points with kobe being passive. If Kobe would have been unleashed in the final quater, we would be a 500 team right now.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Kobe the scorer is fine if he shoots near 50%.

If he's off though, definitely the playmaker.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject:

i want him to be a shut down defender and high scorer. What that means? I dont know, but his defense is a far bigger problem right now. Its clear him putting up shots is a byproduct of our inept supporting cast on a consistent basis. Our youngens are learning regardless of Kobes shots so the worry of stunting their growth shouldnt be an issue
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Option 4. All around Kobe like in the T-Wolves game.

Penetrate and dish, take any uncontested shot within 15 feet.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Play maker.

He usually does this after each and every all star break.
He comes out and dominates at every end of the court.. triple doubles left and right.

If kobe could play as a playmaker for the first 3 qtrs then take over in the 4th this team would make some serious strides.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Remember when Shaq was hurt to begin the season about four years ago (the year we went something like 8-19 to start the year)? Kobe was playmaker Kobe with an even worse supporting cast, and still he started the season with a couple of triple doubles. I mean, look at this game log, and take note about the beginning of the year. I remember him getting hurt sometime later.

This year, his supporting cast should be better than the one he had back then w/o Shaq, if only for the facts that (1) we were the champs back then and always had a big target on our back when we played and (2) the team was built around Shaq. Granted, we had a lot of veterans; but I think our team now has a lot more potential growth than the team Kobe was "stuck" with before.

I'm all for putting Kobe back in playmaker position just to let the responsibility of getting everyone else some shots fall on his shoulders. He was pretty damn good at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:

Well said. There needs to be an option on the poll for "In-between Kobe"

He needs to look to set up teammates more, but he still also needs to take things in his own hands at times - just more selectively.

It's kind of like on one of the other threads, where someone was pointing out trends in how many shots he takes versus how often we win. We actually have a better record when he takes 30+ shots than when he takes fewer - but when you look at the "fewer" portion, you notice that those two games where he took 16-18 shots, and tried to set the table TOO much for everyone else - we lost both games.

He still needs to hover around the mid-20's for his shot attempts IMO, because that's when we tend to be successful, and allows him to be the clear first option without too much imbalance in the offense.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Remember when Shaq was hurt to begin the season about four years ago (the year we went something like 8-19 to start the year)? Kobe was playmaker Kobe with an even worse supporting cast, and still he started the season with a couple of triple doubles. I mean, look at this game log, and take note about the beginning of the year. I remember him getting hurt sometime later.

This year, his supporting cast should be better than the one he had back then w/o Shaq, if only for the facts that (1) we were the champs back then and always had a big target on our back when we played and (2) the team was built around Shaq. Granted, we had a lot of veterans; but I think our team now has a lot more potential growth than the team Kobe was "stuck" with before.

I'm all for putting Kobe back in playmaker position just to let the responsibility of getting everyone else some shots fall on his shoulders. He was pretty damn good at it.

Yeah pokoy... that is incredible. He could do that and they would be better off.
As shown in that game log, he can still score while passing/rebounding and setting people up.
The proof is right there.

He just needs to make some mental adjustments. It will happen sooner or later.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:

But those guys knew the triangle. They knew how to run it, so Kobe just needed to facillitate that. This team DOESN'T know the triangle. So, as of right now, they need Kobe to be more scorer Kobe. They're still learning the triangle, so that's not a concern. Once the others learn the Triangle, we'll be fine.

Until then though, be prepared for the A.I.-like Kobe.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I think that Phil is letting Kobe have his way to start...

Once his team STINKS, he will be a more receptive student...
sishirraj
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is least of our problems, yet people keep creating threads over threads about his bad play in a few games after years of dazzling and consistent play.

I hope that Lakers coaching staff don't buy the wrong reasons for Lakers' current state and instead focus on real problems such as inconsistent agression level of Lamar, inconsistent play of Mihm, Cook, and Smush etc.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Option 4. All around Kobe like in the T-Wolves game.

Penetrate and dish, take any uncontested shot within 15 feet.

bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
I think that Phil is letting Kobe have his way to start...

Once his team STINKS, he will be a more receptive student...

The problem is that Kobe has bailed us out and thats something that he embraces. As long as there is a game winner still at stake there are no problems in his mind
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject:

sishirraj wrote:
Kobe is least of our problems, yet people keep creating threads over threads about his bad play in a few games after years of dazzling and consistent play.

I hope that Lakers coaching staff don't buy the wrong reasons for Lakers' current state and instead focus on real problems such as inconsistent agression level of Lamar, inconsistent play of Mihm, Cook, and Smush etc.

Lamar is who he is...he is not as great as some have hyped him up to be but he's not a bad player either...

Every player not named Kobe is expendable...with Kobe as the initiator, it gives Phil and Mitch a GOOD idea of who will work on this team and who won't...it forces others to recognize and adjust their game to make the whole TEAM lethal...

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link...you don't make the chain stronger by hiding the weak link by putting most of the pressure on the strongest link!

You seek to alter the existing link (develop your players) or you find a way to remove and replace the existing link with a stronger one (trade/get their trade value up)...

With Kobe at the intiator or facilitator, we can get these players to play better and get their trade value up or just dump any player that doesn't fit...
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject:

We need Kobe to score more efficiently. He probably won't do that until he starts moving the rock better. That also means that the other players must cut at the right time/place or be in the right spots. More crisp ball movement will do wonders for this team.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
pokoy wrote:

But those guys knew the triangle. They knew how to run it, so Kobe just needed to facillitate that. This team DOESN'T know the triangle. So, as of right now, they need Kobe to be more scorer Kobe. They're still learning the triangle, so that's not a concern. Once the others learn the Triangle, we'll be fine.

More reason for Kobe to play facilitator again. If the players believe Kobe'll take the shot every time he touches the ball, they'll quit running the offense as soon as he gets it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:

No, because when if we win the title again, it'll be with Kobe as the number one option. And he can't be the number one option AND be a facillitator too. He'd have to dominate the ball then.

Kobe should play as the scorer. Let the rest play their role. THEY'RE the ones who have to learn THEIR roles and spots on the floor. Having Kobe play as the initiator, WOULD be hiding ALL of this team's problems. Kobe shouldn't have to play initiator ever again. He's too good at scoring to waste his talents as we did for the first 8 years of his career. Passing out of the double teams should be all he has to worry about, as far as passing goes.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
pokoy wrote:

More reason for Kobe to play facilitator again. If the players believe Kobe'll take the shot every time he touches the ball, they'll quit running the offense as soon as he gets it.

This will help us win short term, but I believe one of our biggest long term goals is to have someone (Lamar / Luke / Sasha / player traded for) become the Facilitator. Having Kobe Facilitate will prolong that process.

Kobe is a scorer who is experienced at facilitating. Once we have a facilitator experienced at facilitating we will be better off, unless we can add someone who can score as well as Kobe.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Not to be a snot but how about "Kobe the winner"?, or "Kobe should do what the defense dictates"?
Lamar, Luke, Sasha, and Smush also are "playmakers" at least part of the time. Yet they, like Kobe, can score under the right circumstances.

I prefer to use the term "creator". Someone who creates for the team by creating mismatches/advantages/better opportunities for the team. This is done for a teammate or oneself, whichever is better for the team. He MUST shoot less and play more under control, which I think he's doing the last few games.

Magic Johnson was the ultimate creator. When Bobby Knight saw Damon Bailey for the 1st time in the 8th grade, he raved that he was a 'creator'.

Unfortunately, Kobe has rarely played w/ excellent 'converters' (other than Shat, who is an anomaly) so he's learned some bad habits. Think about it, the very streaky DFish is probably the best outside shooter that Kobe has ever played extended minutes with, and other than Glen Rice it's a giant dropoff to the next level of Kobe's teammates. (Horry, Fox, Payton, Eddie, Elden, etc. were all AT BEST mediocre catch and shoot converters-don't believe me, look at their %s-and that's with Shat and Kobe getting them cleaner looks than anybody in the league)

It's kind of sad that Cook and Sasha are two of the best shooters to ever play w/ Kobe.
Also,IMO the pick and roll is counterproductive w/ Kobe. It just clogs up his area w/ more people and unless it's with a guy who can shoot well (Cook) it's stupid. Yet Mihm, Kwame, and Bynum continually try to set screens 20+ feet away.
I prefer Kobe just taking his man off of the dribble (which he is incredibly good at) without screens. If the defense rotates to stop him, simply hit the open guy. The key is the ball must eventually find an open converter in a preferred spot. Sasha, Smush, Cook, Mihm, and Walton are all finally becoming reliable converters from certain spots. And once they learn the system they will continually improve.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Kobe can play facillitator as long as there is another player that is a true 2nd option. We don't have that. LO is never going to be a consistent scorer, nor is Smush, Mihm, Cook, Sasha, any of em. So, until we get a TRUE 2nd option, Kobe has to be THE scorer. To give us a fighting chance.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
pokoy wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
pokoy wrote:

This will help us win short term, but I believe one of our biggest long term goals is to have someone (Lamar / Luke / Sasha / player traded for) become the Facilitator. Having Kobe Facilitate will prolong that process.

Kobe is a scorer who is experienced at facilitating. Once we have a facilitator experienced at facilitating we will be better off, unless we can add someone who can score as well as Kobe.

Exactly what I'm saying!!!
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I want him to be just the way he is, with a more concerted effort to pass when necessary.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

it all depends on how far you are shooting in the future. as far as team development. right now if you want a win. kobe shooting(he just needs not to miss). in the future kobe as decoy scorer aka playmaker). but i dont want him taking odoms job. unless odom is going to give me 25 a night with a super high FG%.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: