Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Wire

FYI the Wire has been remastered in HD

http://hbowatch.com/the-wire-being-remastered-rebroadcast-in-hd-by-hbo/

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
stojan wrote:
Quote:
24 wrote:
stojan wrote:
depressing...... such a complete series, the time span allowed us to divulge into the characters personal lives and be able to see each part of the communities views throughout each season (as each one focused ona different part) .... just complete has to be right up the top with sopranos as best series' ever

I love the Sopranos. Truly great series. But once I saw the Wire, there was no comparison. That's how good the Wire is. It makes other great shows look as bad as they make bad shows look by comparison.

I would argue that stojan was, as Bubbles would say, equivocating like a mother (bleep).

okay okay you got me ill admit, freamon sways my vote, dam love that guy, has ot be best character on that so bar none

Well, that's another difference between that show and the Sopranos. Everyone is going to have their favorite characters, but if you ask people who the best performed, most valuable character in the Sopranos was, that's a short list. Ask Wire fans, and you'll get a huge list, because even minor characters were so central and well written/acted. If you watch the show again, pay attention to the small characters. They have backstories and complete, 3 dimensional natures. You have to look real hard to find a character thart is just there to advance the story. The Sopranos has great central characters, but tons of bit players you never care about, or even know much about. You know everybody in the Wire, and that, IMO, is its crowning achievement.

My personal list of the most important Wire characters, in no particular order:

McNulty- The conscience of the show in many ways, and also the object lesson that even the conscience is deeply flawed and can be its own worst enemy.

Omar- brilliant move to make a stone killer the moral center of the story. The only character who both has a moral code, and unfailingly follows it. His death is also the centerpiece of the entire message of the show, the randomness and ignominy of it all.

Stringer Bell- The "man without a country", symbolizing the fact that the worlds of the good guys and bad guys are defined by politics, but that they are no different in many ways.

Chris Partlow- the "gentle" killer who takes no pride or pleasure in what he does, but does it anyway, even trying to make the evil he must do humane for the victim. The only true emotional savagery he commits is against a child abuser he kills as a favor.

Bunk and Landsmen- no way a show like this resonates without counterbalancing the tragedy with a sense of humor, and these guys nail it.

Bubbles- The humanity of the show, in all its painful glory.

Freamon- represents both the good of the police, and the failure of the system.

Wow, I have to stop, because I have about 10 more on my list, and as I write one down, I think of 2 or 3 more...

That's exactly it. I mean, seriously, "The Wire" has at least 30 GREAT characters. Nothing ever like it. Not possible to have that many GREAT characters, but there it is and there it does. And line after line of impossible to forget dialogue. The series captures ALL of it, the good, the bad, the ugly, the profane, the glory, the compromise, It is simply the greatest show I have ever witnessed. For me, nothing even comes close.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kontrast wrote:
akk7 wrote:
I just didn't like how Avon was totally cut out from everything after season 3, but I guess that's how it goes when you're in jail.

What season was your favorite? I don't know yet, but I think I'm leaning towards season 1, but really it's too hard to choose.

For me:

4, 3, 1, 2, 5

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Wire

C M B wrote:
FYI the Wire has been remastered in HD and HBO will broadcast it this month.

Best . . . news . . . ever!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
akk7 wrote:
C M B wrote:
My favorite was season 3. Since season 1 I was rooting for *spoiler* to get killed and he finally got it at the end of the season.

At first I hated season 4 because of how little McNulty was in it but after viewing it a second time, it was more apparent that those kids put on better performances than most A-list actors.

Then comes 5, 2, 1.

I loved *spoiler* Such a unique character. Just business, just business.

Favorite characters:

1.) McNulty
2.) Omar
3.) Lester
4.) Bubbles
5.) The Bunk
6.) Prezbo
7.) Duquan (Dookie)
8.) Herc
9.) Cutty
10.) Levy
11.) Jay

BTW Remember little Wallace? ("Where the (bleep) is Wallace?!")

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNTMyNjMyMjE5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEwMjM0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

Come on man, no Bodie?

That scene alone should have won him an emmy.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
A subtle but powerful scene in the show: When Bunny Colvin took the 3 f-up class students to Ruth's Chris and the culture shock stole their excitement and their appetites.

And something probably nobody but me in the World noticed. When they were driving up, Bunny's radio in the car was playing Billie Holiday singing "I cover the Waterfront," a tune she wrote.

Billie is far and away my favorite singer of all time and she was from Baltimore.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Wire

C M B wrote:
FYI the Wire has been remastered in HD and HBO will broadcast it this month.

When I finished watching season 3, I didn't want to watch season 4 because I didn't think there was any way Television could ever be better than that. Then Season 4 came and blew season 3 out of the water.....

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject:

Avon is the most underrated character on the show with the possible exception of Lester Freeman who I have only behind Omar on the list.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject:

My fave show ever. Hard for me to re-watch though but I plan on doing so one of these days.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

The more I think about my list, the more I realize that this isn't a top 3 show for me anymore; it's my #1. Although I think this and Breaking Bad will always switch places as 1 and 2 for me.

I'll definitely be rewatching the HD episodes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
C M B wrote:
akk7 wrote:
C M B wrote:
My favorite was season 3. Since season 1 I was rooting for *spoiler* to get killed and he finally got it at the end of the season.

At first I hated season 4 because of how little McNulty was in it but after viewing it a second time, it was more apparent that those kids put on better performances than most A-list actors.

Then comes 5, 2, 1.

Favorite characters:

1.) McNulty
2.) Omar
3.) Lester
4.) Bubbles
5.) The Bunk
6.) Prezbo
7.) Duquan (Dookie)
8.) Herc
9.) Cutty
10.) Levy
11.) Jay

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNTMyNjMyMjE5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEwMjM0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

Come on man, no Bodie?

I love all the "main" guys, but it is the smaller characters that really get me:

Bodie (More than McNulty, he's the true protagonist in a lot of ways, as his arc essentially follows that of the show, or vice versa)

Snoop & Chris (two of the more terrifying villains in all of TV or movies, Snoop for her matter of fact amorality and Chris for his almost gentle way of dispatching those who have to go)

Kima (along with Omar the show's moral center--which is very cool since both are black and gay)

Michael (the heartbreak of reality)

Sydnor (rock solid straight man for the tragicomedy going on around him)

Carver (really love his arc and his flaws, very humanized, sort of the flip side to Bodie)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Yeah that character kind encapsulated the tragedy of it all, as well as the "cycle."
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah that character kind encapsulated the tragedy of it all, as well as the "cycle."

Even more than Michael, I think Randy was the most tragic.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
C M B wrote:
akk7 wrote:
C M B wrote:

Then comes 5, 2, 1.

Favorite characters:

1.) McNulty
2.) Omar
3.) Lester
4.) Bubbles
5.) The Bunk
6.) Prezbo
7.) Duquan (Dookie)
8.) Herc
9.) Cutty
10.) Levy
11.) Jay

Come on man, no Bodie?

I love all the "main" guys, but it is the smaller characters that really get me:

Bodie (More than McNulty, he's the true protagonist in a lot of ways, as his arc essentially follows that of the show, or vice versa)

Snoop & Chris (two of the more terrifying villains in all of TV or movies, Snoop for her matter of fact amorality and Chris for his almost gentle way of dispatching those who have to go)

Kima (along with Omar the show's moral center--which is very cool since both are black and gay)

Carver (really love his arc and his flaws, very humanized, sort of the flip side
to Bodie)

Nice breakdown. And yet, you could take several names and replace them as the vehicles of the show. That's what's so amazing. A character like Bodie, takes a few minutes before he comes up. Yet, as you say, could really be the very personification of the arc of the show. I often use him as an example of why the show is so amazing. When he was introduced, you really did hate him. And yet by his final episode, you loved and admired him. Now he did grow, as one would expect given his age, but ultimately, you grew to love him and cried when he died not because he changed, but because events unfolded that revealed who he really was, all of it. You weren't manipulated into loving him ala Steven Spielberg, the story was so masterful and the writing, directing and most of all the acting just humanized every single character in that show. There were no filler characters except for perhaps some of the news big wigs in season 5.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Even more than Michael, I think Randy was the most tragic.

Randy was always weak, and always bound to be used. Michael is strong, and has the opportunity to escape, but in the end, the game is the game.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
C M B wrote:
akk7 wrote:
C M B wrote:

Then comes 5, 2, 1.

Favorite characters:

1.) McNulty
2.) Omar
3.) Lester
4.) Bubbles
5.) The Bunk
6.) Prezbo
7.) Duquan (Dookie)
8.) Herc
9.) Cutty
10.) Levy
11.) Jay

Come on man, no Bodie?

Carver (really love his arc and his flaws, very humanized, sort of the flip side
to Bodie)

Nice breakdown. And yet, you could take several names and replace them as the vehicles of the show. That's what's so amazing. A character like Bodie, takes a few minutes before he comes up. Yet, as you say, could really be the very personification of the arc of the show. I often use him as an example of why the show is so amazing. When he was introduced, you really did hate him. And yet by his final episode, you loved and admired him. Now he did grow, as one would expect given his age, but ultimately, you grew to love him and cried when he died not because he changed, but because events unfolded that revealed who he really was, all of it. You weren't manipulated into loving him ala Steven Spielberg, the story was so masterful and the writing, directing and most of all the acting just humanized every single character in that show. There were no filler characters except for perhaps some of the news big wigs in season 5.

Even though most people overlook Season 2, it had one of the best characters on the show in Frank Sobotka. Loyal to a fault, blue-collar, did anything and everything to make life better for his people. And to think, a stained-glass window painting was eventually what did him in.

There was a recurring theme in the show, basically along the lines of "snitches get stitches". Anyone who informed to the police ended up dead or worse. William Gant (the maintenance guy who was an eye witness to a D'Angelo murder), Frank Sobotka, Orlando the strip club owner, D'Angelo, Stringer Bell, Bodie, Omar to an extent (but his death wasn't connected to his informing). And Randy was a snitch and had his life turned upside down. Now I know why Carmelo (who grew up in Baltimore) came out with that DVD a few years ago, stop snitchin'!
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Even though most people overlook Season 2, it had one of the best characters on the show in Frank Sobotka. Loyal to a fault, blue-collar, did anything and everything to make life better for his people. And to think, a stained-glass window painting was eventually what did him in.

There was a recurring theme in the show, basically along the lines of "snitches get stitches". Anyone who informed to the police ended up dead or worse. William Gant (the maintenance guy who was an eye witness to a D'Angelo murder), Frank Sobotka, Orlando the strip club owner, D'Angelo, Stringer Bell, Bodie, Omar to an extent (but his death wasn't connected to his informing). And Randy was a snitch and had his life turned upside down. Now I know why Carmelo (who grew up in Baltimore) came out with that DVD a few years ago, stop snitchin'!

Frank is definitely one of the best characters in the show. I love his quote in the scene near the end of the season that went something like "the problem is we used to build (bleep) in this country, now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket." Yeah, it was anything but subtle, but it was oh so true.

Another one of my favorite characters is Slim Charles. The guy goes from being regular muscle to running the whole connection. Guy played the game to perfection ... definitely one of the "smart pawns who became queen" as D'Angelo said in Season 1.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Ted wrote:

Frank is definitely one of the best characters in the show. I love his quote in the scene near the end of the season that went something like "the problem is we used to build (bleep) in this country, now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket." Yeah, it was anything but subtle, but it was oh so true.

Another one of my favorite characters is Slim Charles. The guy goes from being regular muscle to running the whole connection. Guy played the game to perfection ... definitely one of the "smart pawns who became queen" as D'Angelo said in Season 1.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I always found season two to be highly underrated by most. It is a vital part of telling the decay of Baltimore, and society at large, and the rest of the story does not hold up without it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject:

The Wire is so good. I honestly have it as my second favorite all time TV series behind Breaking Bad.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I always found season two to be highly underrated by most. It is a vital part of telling the decay of Baltimore, and society at large, and the rest of the story does not hold up without it.

It's problem is that it faces the other seasons and characters as competition. If it were a stand alone series season, it would be hailed. But as mentioned previously, it's most compelling character was Frank Sabotka and he wasn't as compelling as 20 or so other characters on the show.

Still, within the story arc and the ultimate goal of the show, it was as essential as any of the other seasons. But it didn't have anywhere near the incredible moments as the other seasons.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The Wire is so good. I honestly have it as my second favorite all time TV series behind Breaking Bad.

I need to watch BB. Gonna find the time one day.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Breaking bad is very good, but it doesn't even aspire to the literary heights of The Wire, much less hit them. If the wire is Kobe, breaking bad is ray Allen.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I need to watch BB. Gonna find the time one day.

My advice is do it so you have access to all the episodes and can watch them when you want. It is so good, I know you will like it if you like The Wire even though it is a totally different concept and style.

The Wire is still so underrated though, it was an epic TV show.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

okay.. I tried to give the wire a chance.. couldn't do it. I watched til season 2 end.. and it just didn't work for me. i was so bored.

breaking bad on the other hand gripped you from the get go and didn't let go. it was a masterpiece.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: