Hank Williams Jr. aka Mr. "Are you ready for some football?!?!" singer pulled from MNF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

It seems like Williams fits in pretty nicely with the culture of the NFL.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
As I said my relative said ESPN tries to seem liberal. Are they really? Does the article carry any weight? I think I'm being objective, leaving the door open for positive proof, no speculation.

No, the blog piece is silly. We live in an age of conspiracy theories. Just apply Occam's Razor.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
As I said my relative said ESPN tries to seem liberal. Are they really? Does the article carry any weight? I think I'm being objective, leaving the door open for positive proof, no speculation.

No, the blog piece is silly. We live in an age of conspiracy theories. Just apply Occam's Razor.

Well I guess that's according to your glasses. Mine are multi prism. I see what ESPN is saying and also what you call a silly blog having some validity.

It's difficult for me to digest their bringing back such a controversial celebrity, one they fired for lewd remarks, to boost their ratings.

Optics scream another not so biased by stance more suitable. Especially at this time when such remarks are so polarizing.

That's the reason I query, Why is it the right time? IMO his name calling makes his return checkered.

Applying the theory using conspiracy don't they weight even? One saying fans will come back for a legendary singer who they fired for controversial spoutings to boost ratings the other attempting to reverse the misguided perception that the network has a liberal agenda.

After talking to someone who works at ESPN, I'm leaning toward the latter.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:
If you listen to ESPN’s explanation, it’s simply reuniting one of the most famous sports anthems with the prime-time event with which it’s forever linked. The real reasoning, in all likelihood, is to reverse the misguided perception that the network has a liberal agenda. In fact, ESPN has spent much of this year going out of its way to prove it’s not liberal.

Exactly. Like I said. this is about ESPN looking to increase it's appeal by attracting the kind of people who agree with HW's attitude and views now that Trump has legitimized such divisive sentiment.

I wonder what merchandise the corporations will come up with to profit off of his return..
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Absolutely true. Williams was kicked out and brought back for the exact same thing. The climate just changed.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Well I guess that's according to your glasses. Mine are multi prism.

If you have multi-prism glasses, you need to go to the optometrist. Your vision is not clear. Your political biases are causing you to imagine things that just are not there. This is a common affliction in the current political climate.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If you have multi-prism glasses, you need to go to the optometrist. Your vision is not clear. Your political biases are causing you to imagine things that just are not there. This is a common affliction in the current political climate.

What political biases? Where is politics relevant? This is about a person fired, rehired.

The reasons for his firing haven't changed. HW in fact has fortified his position on Obama being a Muslim and his opinion of gays.

My query Why is it the right time? hasn't been satisfied. ESPN spokesperson said the time is right without a explanation for why the time is right. What's changed to make the time right?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What political biases? Where is politics relevant? This is about a person fired, rehired.

The reasons for his firing haven't changed. HW in fact has fortified his position on Obama being a Muslim and his opinion of gays.

My query Why is it the right time? hasn't been satisfied. ESPN spokesperson said the time is right without a explanation for why the time is right. What's changed to make the time right?

If you don't think that politics are part of what you are talking about, I don't know what to say.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If you don't think that politics are part of what you are talking about, I don't know what to say.

In my mind politics aren't involved. If they are in your opinion, we're not on the same page.

My focus is on HW being fired, rehired but not showing any changes in his stances on Obama and gays. I need an explanation as to why "now is the time."

You say "That's where we are as a culture." What do you mean by that?

Point me to how you came to your conclusion as to why I should think politics should be involved.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

I say there is still a Lot of issues with the cultural timing.. fine.. don't blame Trump but he emboldened the NRA/NASCAR/NFL loons with all of his hateful rhetoric

That opened up the possibility of slipping in music from some guy who thinks like the people up^^ there.. Great marketing idea but ONCE AGAIN.. something regressive imho
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It seems like Williams fits in pretty nicely with the culture of the NFL.

That was never up for debate its whether he fits with the left leaning ESPN
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: