Hank Williams Jr. aka Mr. "Are you ready for some football?!?!" singer pulled from MNF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Yeah, Hank says Obama's a Muslim who hates cowboys, hates cowgirls, hates fishing, hates farming, loves gays. That's what makes “It was the right time. We discussed it internally and it was just the right time to bring him back.” so difficult to understand. Why is the time right now? Is it due to the current president?

So in order for someone to be acceptable to perform the intro song for MNF, they must conform to your political beliefs? This is contemporary America in a nutshell. Everyone's offended, especially if other people get offended by them being offended.

Nice try. This isn't a simple matter of political differences . . . but you know that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject:

Not a fan of his comments, but, I'm also not a fan of the politicalization and socialization of business and in particular, sports.

I can't really tell you where the line should be drawn, but I feel like we are entering some fairly dangerous territory where it seems to be a matter of whether you like who or what someone is.

Perhaps it has always been this way to a degree, and the primary difference is that we have the technology now to actually prove the things that were said and done whereas in the years past, it was generally hearsay.

My general preference, to again some degree, is that we act upon those who act, not those who think, and even then, try to allow the market to dictate the course of action.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

I agree with that. I think this is a product of social media and the 24 hour news cycle. The only example of anything like this the pre-internet era, at least that I can remember, is Jimmy the Greek, but he was an actual on-air personality who made actual bigoted comments. Maybe Jane Fonda, though that was a different matter. I'm sure there were a handful of others. It certainly took a lot more than it does now.

So Hank Williams, Jr. is going to perform the intro song for MNF. Clearly, ESPN is condoning racism because he once said (probably sarcastically) that Obama is a Muslim. That's where we are as a culture.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Yeah, Hank says Obama's a Muslim who hates cowboys, hates cowgirls, hates fishing, hates farming, loves gays. That's what makes “It was the right time. We discussed it internally and it was just the right time to bring him back.” so difficult to understand. Why is the time right now? Is it due to the current president?

So in order for someone to be acceptable to perform the intro song for MNF, they must conform to your political beliefs?
This is contemporary America in a nutshell. Everyone's offended, especially if other people get offended by them being offended.

NO Where in the post is there anything political? It begs to answer Why is the time right now? It asks is it due to the current president, not meant to be political, it goes to his views.

I won't say I'm offended by Hanks remarks. I think them lewd and inappropriate. He has the right to say what he said, I have the right to not like what he said.

My query is, Why is the time right now?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Read the full statement by the ESPN rep.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

I read the statement.
Quote:
“I think it’s a return to our past in that it’s such an iconic song associated with football,” said Stephanie Druley, ESPN’s senior vice president of events and studio production.

“It was the original," Druley told The USA TODAY NETWORK-Tennessee. "It belongs to Monday Night Football. It really is about returning to what fans know. It’s a Monday night party and that’s what we’re all hoping to get back to.”
It doesn't answer "Why the time is right." It's been what, 6 years since they parted ways? Why is the time right now? Optics.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I agree with that. I think this is a product of social media and the 24 hour news cycle. The only example of anything like this the pre-internet era, at least that I can remember, is Jimmy the Greek, but he was an actual on-air personality who made actual bigoted comments. Maybe Jane Fonda, though that was a different matter. I'm sure there were a handful of others. It certainly took a lot more than it does now.

So Hank Williams, Jr. is going to perform the intro song for MNF. Clearly, ESPN is condoning racism because he once said (probably sarcastically) that Obama is a Muslim. That's where we are as a culture.

Where we are as a culture is this: A company terminated their relationship with a guy because he said some inappropriate things and they felt strongly enough about it to take action. Several years later, after the culture had shifted and comments and actions that had formally been viewed as inappropriate were now suddenly emboldened by a leadership based on aggressive division based on ethnicity, gender, religion and sexual orientation, previously egregious behavior is now acceptable and the man that was previously terminated is reinstated because hey, those comments are ok now and should just be accepted.

THAT is where we are as a culture at this point. And that is a critical distinction even if you choose to gloss over it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

Maybe we could ask Hank Williams Jr what his thoughts are on

Trump
Trump meeting the King of Saud

Why can't they experiment with a new song? Greed trumps decency?

Trump was recorded saying he likes to use his power to sexually assault women..AND America voted for him to be their leader.

Something is very wrong in the mind of our citizens.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Trump

Trump was recorded saying he likes to use his power to sexually assault women..AND America voted for him to be their leader.

SOME our citizens, and less than half of those who actually choose to participate in the process that determines such things.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I read the statement.
Quote:
“I think it’s a return to our past in that it’s such an iconic song associated with football,” said Stephanie Druley, ESPN’s senior vice president of events and studio production.

“It was the original," Druley told The USA TODAY NETWORK-Tennessee. "It belongs to Monday Night Football. It really is about returning to what fans know. It’s a Monday night party and that’s what we’re all hoping to get back to.”
It doesn't answer "Why the time is right." It's been what, 6 years since they parted ways? Why is the time right now? Optics.

Yes, it does answer your question, and in fact quite clearly.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I read the statement.
Quote:

No it doesn't. It says why they're bringing him back. It doesn't address my query, Why is the time right now? You say That's where we are as a culture. Are you saying our culture has backslid and because it has the time is right now? If so is it because our present leadership has condoned the backslide?

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Trump

SOME our citizens, and less than half of those who actually choose to participate in the process that determines such things.

oops 0:-)

But I see a further problem in that our disconnectedness and miserable education system are by choice..mine too

I still say it is the duty of our education system to inform our future citizens that Politicians and Creditors/Bankers will do anything to take advantage of you and you need to do all you can to protect yourself, your family, your neighbors and your country from them.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I read the statement.
Quote:

$$$?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I don't think Hank gave too much room for doubt about why he dislikes Obama.

It is due to ESPN losing money and having to lay people off. HW is popular in many parts of the Country, bringing him back makes financial sense for ESPN.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

It is due to ESPN losing money and having to lay people off. HW is popular in many parts of the Country, bringing him back makes financial sense for ESPN.

Especially now that being a racist, redneck moron is fully endorsed by by every branch and department of our federal administration.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I read the statement.
Quote:

“It was the original," Druley told The USA TODAY NETWORK-Tennessee. "It belongs to Monday Night Football. It really is about returning to what fans know. It’s a Monday night party and that’s what we’re all hoping to get back to.

No it doesn't. It says why they're bringing him back. It doesn't address my query, Why is the time right now? You say That's where we are as a culture. Are you saying our culture has backslid and because it has the time is right now? If so is it because our present leadership has condoned the backslide?

My comments about our culture have nothing to do with why ESPN brought back Hank Williams, Jr. I highlighted the relevant passages. If you are unable to comprehend the explanation, the problem lies with you, not ESPN.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I read the statement.
Quote:

$$$?

Of course.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Especially now that being a racist, redneck moron is fully endorsed by by every branch and department of our federal administration.

Or just being racist by naming a group of people rednecks.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Read this It kind of debunks loss of revenue being the crux.
Quote:
If you listen to ESPN’s explanation, it’s simply reuniting one of the most famous sports anthems with the prime-time event with which it’s forever linked. The real reasoning, in all likelihood, is to reverse the misguided perception that the network has a liberal agenda. In fact, ESPN has spent much of this year going out of its way to prove it’s not liberal.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

no.

Or just being racist by naming a group of people rednecks.

Yeah . . . no.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Quote:
If you listen to ESPN’s explanation, it’s simply reuniting one of the most famous sports anthems with the prime-time event with which it’s forever linked. The real reasoning, in all likelihood, is to reverse the misguided perception that the network has a liberal agenda. In fact, ESPN has spent much of this year going out of its way to prove it’s not liberal.

Exactly. Like I said. this is about ESPN looking to increase it's appeal by attracting the kind of people who agree with HW's attitude and views now that Trump has legitimized such divisive sentiment.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I read the statement.
Quote:

“It was the original," Druley told The USA TODAY NETWORK-Tennessee. "It belongs to Monday Night Football. It really is about returning to what fans know. It’s a Monday night party and that’s what we’re all hoping to get back to.

My comments about our culture have nothing to do with why ESPN brought back Hank Williams, Jr. I highlighted the relevant passages. If you are unable to comprehend the explanation, the problem lies with you, not ESPN.

As said previously. I understand the reasons they SAY they're bringing Williams back, however, that doesn't address my original question Why is the time right now? Something they said in the original comments,“It was the right time. We discussed it internally and it was just the right time to bring him back.” underlined left out of the equation in your responses.

You're also disregarding this
Quote:
You're glossing over it, why? I ask you the same question. Do you have an answer? Why now? Not what they say. If you will please answer to my question. The implied reasons are to ambiguous. I'm looking for further explanation.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
[/i] You're glossing over it, why? I ask you the same question. Do you have an answer? Why now? Not what they say. If you will please answer to my question. The implied reasons are to ambiguous. I'm looking for further explanation.

I already answered your other question several times. As for this one, I could really care less what some blogger thinks.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, Williams said far worse things about Obama in the months and years after the incident that got his song pulled. Like Ted Nugent, he's made a point of it in his concerts, where he displayed the fact that he thinks saying someone is a Muslim or likes gay people is an insult, among other things. He's a proud bigot by his own statements.

This is nothing more than a "freedom fries" kind of move to draw in a particular brand of football fan.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:
[/i] You're glossing over it, why? I ask you the same question. Do you have an answer? Why now? Not what they say. If you will please answer to my question. The implied reasons are to ambiguous. I'm looking for further explanation.

I already answered your other question several times. As for this one, I could really care less what some blogger thinks.

I think that's being selective. I'm not disregarding the possibility of boosting ratings. I'm also not throwing out the possibility of what the "blogger" implied.

As I said my relative said ESPN tries to seem liberal. Are they really? Does the article carry any weight? I think I'm being objective, leaving the door open for positive proof, no speculation.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: