Depends on the host
32%
 32%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 56

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Whenever I do happen to catch SNL, it's very rarely funny. I have enjoyed some of the political cold opens (Matt Damon as Kavanaugh comes to mind), but beyond that, yeah, it's almost always a miss when it comes to their sketches.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Not funny since Al Franken was forced out.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Whenever I do happen to catch SNL, it's very rarely funny. I have enjoyed some of the political cold opens (Matt Damon as Kavanaugh comes to mind), but beyond that, yeah, it's almost always a miss when it comes to their sketches.

Whenever I catch it (only clips), it's an exercise in seeing how they will somehow shoehorn in a Kate Mckinnon impression into a sketch that didn't need one.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Not since the 70's and 80's...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

I thought there were a lot of great castmembers in the 90's, with Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Will Ferrell, David Spade, Kevin Nealon, Rob Schneider, Molly Shannon, Tracy Morgan, and Cheri Oteri coming to mind. And many of those were in the same cast together, or overlapped. Chris Rock wasn't featured enough in the early 90's, and I also liked Rachel Dratch in the late 90's.

Of course, if one wanted to argue that the desperately unfunny Horatio Sanz wipes away all of that, I might not have a good counter-argument.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I thought there were a lot of great castmembers in the 90's, with Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Will Ferrell, David Spade, Kevin Nealon, Rob Schneider, Molly Shannon, Tracy Morgan, and Cheri Oteri coming to mind. And many of those were in the same cast together, or overlapped. Chris Rock wasn't featured enough in the early 90's, and I also liked Rachel Dratch in the late 90's.

Of course, if one wanted to argue that the desperately unfunny Horatio Sanz wipes away all of that, I might not have a good counter-argument.

I agree with your entire list but disagree that Sanz was unfunny. Some of his characters made me wheeze. Ana Gasteyer is probably the funniest SNL female.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I agree with your entire list but disagree that Sanz was unfunny. Some of his characters made me wheeze. Ana Gasteyer is probably the funniest SNL female.

I'm not sure I ever laughed at (or with) Sanz once. I did overlook Gasteyer, yes, she was quite good.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I'M CRAZY PROTRACTA BEARD!!! NOW GIMME DA CANDY!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

Ana Gasteyer is probably the funniest SNL female.

Jan Hooks
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

The year leading up to Presidential elections is usually when I watch.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I agree on the late 80's/early 90's era being exceptional. Rock has admitted he wasn't funny then because he was "too busy trying to get laid". Morgan just never fit, IMO.

I think Bill Hader's probably the best cast member in the last 20 years. Maybe Ferrell, but that stuff really skewed to slapstick. Plus his Bush impression was lazy.

Sanz filled the unfunny fat guy requirement, of course, later passed to Bobby Moynihan.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I agree on the late 80's/early 90's era being exceptional. Rock has admitted he wasn't funny then because he was "too busy trying to get laid". Morgan just never fit, IMO.

I think Bill Hader's probably the best cast member in the last 20 years. Maybe Ferrell, but that stuff really skewed to slapstick. Plus his Bush impression was lazy.

I've always maintained the early 90's cast as being 2nd only to the originals (some might switch them around). Look at the individual success of that cast. It's ridiculous. To be fair though, IIRC, I always thought of Cheri Oteri and Will Ferrell to be the next wave after the Carvey/Meyers/Hartman era. But yeah, the drop off after that crew is substantial.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2018/11/17/which-saturday-night-live-cast-delivers-the-best-ratings-in-44-seasons/#46e5bb6467ac
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

As Lorn Michaels said on Norm MacDonald's Netlix show, everyone's favorite cast is when they were in high school. I think there's truth to that, since it's when you have the most time to watch and are learning what adult humor looks like.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
As Lorn Michaels said on Norm MacDonald's Netlix show, everyone's favorite cast is when they were in high school. I think there's truth to that, since it's when you have the most time to watch and are learning what adult humor looks like.

I'm sure that's true to an extent (early 90's were my formative years), but is there anyone from the 80's longing for the days Charles Rocket and Joe Piscopo?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Well son of a gun...that definitely applies to me and ChickenStu!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Ha, true.

I do agree with an earlier statement that Bill Hader was great, by the way, especially as Stefon. "New York's hottest club is..." Watching him always lose it during his Stefon appearances was fantastic.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Ha, true.

I do agree with an earlier statement that Bill Hader was great, by the way, especially as Stefon. "New York's hottest club is..." Watching him always lose it during his Stefon appearances was fantastic.

In terms of his facial expressions and how he emotes, Bill Hader is right there with Jim Kerry imo. He's so good.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Ha, true.

Celebrity Jeopardy will always be one of my favorites. Of course Christopher Walken's "I need more cowbell" is legendary as well.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Ha, true.

Celebrity Jeopardy will always be one of my favorites. Of course Christopher Walken's "I need more cowbell" is legendary as well.

Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery always made Celebrity Jeopardy for me. "I'll take 'Letits Now' for $800." "That's 'Let It Snow'." "No it's not! It's a French expression. 'Pardon me, mademoiselle, I'd like to see Letits now!'"
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think Bill Hader's probably the best cast member in the last 20 years.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

That was my first time watching that. That was good!
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

That was my first time watching that. That was good!

Definitely one of the highlights from this past season, it was great to see the return of Bill Hader (John Mulaney hosted that night).
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject:

Bill Hader is the "Mr. Hollywood" at the James Franco roast, is still the funniest (bleep) I've ever seen.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject:

Bill Hader is great
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Bill Hader is the "Mr. Hollywood" at the James Franco roast, is still the funniest (bleep) I've ever seen.

Sidenote: I was in attendance at the Bob Saget roast (which was one of Comedy Central's worst, I'd say), and I simply cannot tell you how funny Gilbert Gottfried's entire set was. They heavily edited it for TV, and he absolutely had the audience rolling. Think about what didn't make it to TV, when the TV version has Gottfried railing about how Saget "raped and killed a girl in 1990!", and that's the "clean" part that was deemed OK for television. Gottfried has killed on other roasts, as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: