32%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 56

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Bill Hader is the "Mr. Hollywood" at the James Franco roast, is still the funniest (bleep) I've ever seen.

Sidenote: I was in attendance at the Bob Saget roast (which was one of Comedy Central's worst, I'd say), and I simply cannot tell you how funny Gilbert Gottfried's entire set was. They heavily edited it for TV, and he absolutely had the audience rolling. Think about what didn't make it to TV, when the TV version has Gottfried railing about how Saget "raped and killed a girl in 1990!", and that's the "clean" part that was deemed OK for television. Gottfried has killed on other roasts, as well.

You saw the legendary Norm set!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

sorry but this one makes me laugh my ass off
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Bill Hader is the "Mr. Hollywood" at the James Franco roast, is still the funniest (bleep) I've ever seen.

Sidenote: I was in attendance at the Bob Saget roast (which was one of Comedy Central's worst, I'd say), and I simply cannot tell you how funny Gilbert Gottfried's entire set was. They heavily edited it for TV, and he absolutely had the audience rolling. Think about what didn't make it to TV, when the TV version has Gottfried railing about how Saget "raped and killed a girl in 1990!", and that's the "clean" part that was deemed OK for television. Gottfried has killed on other roasts, as well.

It sucked. I know, I know: that was the point.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Hefner roast bit of GG's was funny. Ice-T stole his line, remember that?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

It sucked. I know, I know: that was the point.

Lets meet in Temecula.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Gilbert is the best.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Gilbert is the best.

The other "GG" was better. Greg Giraldo.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

Giraldo was very good at the roasts, yes. But Gottfried's crazy, rambling stories--with that voice--I don't know, it just gets me laughing every time. The Joan Rivers roast, with the story about the fabled Joan Rivers (blank). The Roseanne roast, "shut the (bleep) up, I was talking to the sheep!" Dude is a legend.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Saturday Night Live" has fired one of its most recent hires, Shane Gillis, just days after videos of comedian making bigoted comments came to light.

"After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining 'SNL,'" an 'SNL' spokesperson on behalf of Lorne Michaels said in a statement to CNN. "We want 'SNL' to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for 'SNL.' We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard."

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:
"Saturday Night Live" has fired one of its most recent hires, Shane Gillis, just days after videos of comedian making bigoted comments came to light.

"After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining 'SNL,'" an 'SNL' spokesperson on behalf of Lorne Michaels said in a statement to CNN. "We want 'SNL' to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for 'SNL.' We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard."

It would've been funnier to let him squirm in a few non-speaking or single line roles in post-midnight sketches for a season before firing him. Even funnier if he the lone white guy on stage with all non-white cast members every time:

"Shane Gillis as local mall cop at the mall white people used to go to"

"Shane Gillis as white guy who only dates Chinese women trying to order food in Mandarin at restaurant"

"Shane Gillis as white guy at the Kendrick Lamar concert saying the N-word out loud when he raps along with every song"
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Back in 2016, Melissa Villaseñor had some offensive tweets from her past and Lorne Michaels gave her a chance. She was contrite when they talked to her and that may have saved her job.

After Gillis was let go, he couldn’t resist getting in that one last swing by saying he was always a MadTv guy.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Do they do any background checks before hiring? It's not hard.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Back in 2016, Melissa Villaseñor had some offensive tweets from her past and Lorne Michaels gave her a chance. She was contrite when they talked to her and that may have saved her job.

After Gillis was let go, he couldn’t resist getting in that one last swing by saying he was always a MadTv guy.

He did issue the most half-hearted apology ever. Maybe he just doesn't give a (bleep), although Yang says he's reached out to him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Especially since this happens any time a comedian is hired for anything and from the sound of it the guy had quite a reputation in his hometown comedy scene. Poor due diligence on their part. I'm not crazy about the hunt through a comic's past in order to ensure they've never ever said anything offensive. The comments in question are tough to justify from a comedy perspective (what exactly was the joke there?) but SNL continues to employ cast members, performers, and hosts who don't all have perfect track records when it comes to this stuff. The biggest story out of SNL this year is the return of Eddie Murphy as a host. Ever see one of his standup specials? It doesn't help that Gillis' apology was snarky and dismissive, but I imagine he will now be able to better court the type of audience he's best suited to entertain. The kind that will see him as a hero now.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Especially since this happens any time a comedian is hired for anything and from the sound of it the guy had quite a reputation in his hometown comedy scene. Poor due diligence on their part. I'm not crazy about the hunt through a comic's past in order to ensure they've never ever said anything offensive. The comments in question are tough to justify from a comedy perspective (what exactly was the joke there?) but SNL continues to employ cast members, performers, and hosts who don't all have perfect track records when it comes to this stuff. The biggest story out of SNL this year is the return of Eddie Murphy as a host. Ever see one of his standup specials? It doesn't help that Gillis' apology was snarky and dismissive, but I imagine he will now be able to better court the type of audience he's best suited to entertain. The kind that will see him as a hero now.

For most millennials or post-millennials, the audience they have to appease, probably none.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:

Good. Racist bigot shouldn't have even been considered in the first place.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ocho wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

For most millennials or post-millennials, the audience they have to appease, probably none.

Well, one.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:

Asians need to speak up more
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

It'd be really funny if the guy killed himself. The internet would be so confused.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:

Asians need to speak up more

You could make a (bleep) terrorist joke. ISIS joke. Anything else got laughs. But police brutality— the white people were like, ‘Don’t do that. Please don’t do that.’ That’s interesting,” said Gillis. “You throw stuff out there and you get to see them react to things, like yea or nay, what’s funny and what’s not.”

“You can be racist to Asians. That’s what we’re finding out,” Gillis told me.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

LINK

It looks like they've got a great cast to handle the democratic debates.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

The whole Marianne Williamson routine, including the gal who played her, was pretty good.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
LINK

one of the cringiest things I've ever seen on SNL. yikes.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
LINK

one of the cringiest things I've ever seen on SNL. yikes.

You weren't in stitches over the Kamala Harris fake TV plugs? They had a whole summer to work on that, too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: