Any guess on a point guard the Lakers will try to aquire once the season begins?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrg
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Any guess on a point guard the Lakers will try to aquire once the season begins?

I don't think the Lakers will try to go after Deron Williams, as his salary is so huge and they'd have to give up too much (though I think he'd be a great fit for the team chemistry). Chris Paul is, in my opinion, the best point guard in the league, but I think he'd mesh with Kobe the same way Gary Payton did...not very well. If the Lakers could land Mo Williams that would be great. I think he'd fit right into the team's plans, but they'd probably have to mortgage Darius Morris and/or Andrew Goudelock, and I DON'T want to see them traded. They could be special in one or two years.

Steve Blake has shown flashes that he could be an all-star point guard. His skills and passing talent are extremely high, but there seems to be a hurdle in his mind that he needs to get over. For example, he thinks too much and steers his shot when he's wide open in the lane. He's got great talent and makes terrific passes, but it's a mental block that keeps him from excelling to a higher level.

Right now I think the Lakers should trade Blake and Walton, picks and cash for Mo Williams. Blake would be a better fit with the Clippers than Williams and would make Blake Griffin even better than what he is.

Any other ideas?
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject:

Hell no to Mo

---George Carlin
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Derek Fisher and Steve Blake.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

probably
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

probably

Don't forget Darius Morris!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
checkitmyles
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: seriously?

hrg, for real? First of all, how in the hell would the Lakers even acquire D-Will or CP3? I mean, forget about how they would fit with the Lakers. How on earth could we even get them?

Blake, Walton, picks and cash for Mo Will? Let me put it this way: no team in the NBA will trade for Luke. It is possible that he is the worst player in the NBA, and he is severely overpaid. He is stuck on the Lakers. Blake also just went through the worst statistical season of his career, so right now he has no trade value either. No way will either one of those players be traded now.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Gilbert Arenas

Amnesty cut that signs for cheap in order to come back home to LA and chase a championship. He's already going to get paid close to 20 mil this season, and I doubt there will be a long list of suitors for him. A 1 or 2 year contract in the $2 mil or less range should do.

I think its worth a small gamble that he can regain some of his old form and be at least a very good rotation guy. It would be nice to have a guard that can get his own shot when Kobe is on the bench. There is obviously more upside if he can really find his old mojo. Arenas/Kobe up top and Pau/Drew down low sounds niiiice.
checkitmyles
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
Gilbert Arenas

Amnesty cut that signs for cheap in order to come back home to LA and chase a championship. He's already going to get paid close to 20 mil this season, and I doubt there will be a long list of suitors for him. A 1 or 2 year contract in the $2 mil or less range should do.

I think its worth a small gamble that he can regain some of his old form and be at least a very good rotation guy. It would be nice to have a guard that can get his own shot when Kobe is on the bench. There is obviously more upside if he can really find his old mojo. Arenas/Kobe up top and Pau/Drew down low sounds niiiice.

That's a really good idea. Last year the Lakers took 82.4 field goals per game. Kobe took 20, Pau 14, LO 11, Peace/Brown/Bynum 8, DFish 6 and Barnes 5.

Now Arenas shot the ball 8 times per game in around 8 less minutes than DFish played. That means that given Fish's minutes, Arenas would probably shoot 5 more times per game. So who's getting less touches? We going to dump it in the post less? Is Kobe not going to touch the ball every possession? Is LO, coming off a career year, going to suddenly not get touches? Are we going to risk angering a crazy player like Peace by not passing him the ball?

Arenas is the last point guard the Lakers need. What the Lakers need is someone like Kyle Lowry, JJ Barea, or Mario Chalmers. An athletic point guard who can defend, shoot the open jumper, dribble penetrate when needed, but most importantly, give the ball to Kobe/LO/Pau/Bynum and get out of the way.

Is getting any of those players realistic? Not really. But that's the type of player the Lakers need.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject:

checkitmyles wrote:
DoubleClutch wrote:
Gilbert Arenas

That's a really good idea. Last year the Lakers took 82.4 field goals per game. Kobe took 20, Pau 14, LO 11, Peace/Brown/Bynum 8, DFish 6 and Barnes 5.

Now Arenas shot the ball 8 times per game in around 8 less minutes than DFish played. That means that given Fish's minutes, Arenas would probably shoot 5 more times per game. So who's getting less touches? We going to dump it in the post less? Is Kobe not going to touch the ball every possession? Is LO, coming off a career year, going to suddenly not get touches? Are we going to risk angering a crazy player like Peace by not passing him the ball?

Arenas is the last point guard the Lakers need. What the Lakers need is someone like Kyle Lowry, JJ Barea, or Mario Chalmers. An athletic point guard who can defend, shoot the open jumper, dribble penetrate when needed, but most importantly, give the ball to Kobe/LO/Pau/Bynum and get out of the way.

Is getting any of those players realistic? Not really. But that's the type of player the Lakers need.

The perfect Lakers PG you described sounds a lot like Steve Blake, but nobody seems to be real happy with him right now.

I guess I should have been a little more clear in that I really see Arenas as a combo guard that would be more of a backup to Kobe initially, as well as someone that can play point if needed. If he really starts balling you can expand his role.

Last year Shannon Brown played 19 minutes and put up 8 shots per game. Arenas played about 25 mpg and put up 10 fga's. That's roughly the same amount of shots per minute. Since Shannon is likely leaving in free agency, those shots will be available and the Lakers need someone to take them. That second unit can get bogged down sometimes when you are running a lineup of Blake, Barnes, Odom and Bynum. Having a shot creator and someone that can break down a defense off the dribble will help that unit be more productive. Arenas can also dish it out better than most of the players on our team. Last year he averaged 3.9 assists while Shanon was at 1.2.

Assuming Shannon is gone, we are going to need to sign a backup for Kobe. Picking up Arenas on the cheap to fill that role seems like a no-brainer. Even last year when he played a lackluster, injury plagued season he was still better than Brown. If he gets it together and returns to playing anywhere close to what he once was you've got a complete steal and a nightmare for other teams to defend.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I hadn't thought of Arenas.
checkitmyles
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject:

Okay, Arenas as a backup for Kobe makes much more sense.

I think a player like Blake is a good fit for the Lakers. However, the problem is Blake wasn't the player he usually is. His shooting and defense were god-awful, those are strengths we need at the PG spot. So 2011 Blake was not the PG we needed, but previous years was much better.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject:

so what some of you are saying is Arenas/Howard for Bynum and LO?
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject:

B.Diddy from the amnesty cut!
checkitmyles
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject:

B Diddy is even worse than Arenas... at least Arenas can shoot... Baron can't even shoot but he still chucks like he can.

In the last 3 years (Davis/Arenas)

3PT Made (262/365)
3PT Attempted (863/1092)
3PT% (30.3%/33.4%)

Also, Davis shot the ball 12 times in 28 minutes per game, whereas Fish shot the ball 6 times in the same amount of minutes. Once again, we don't need our PG taking shots away from Kobe/LO/Pau/Bynum. Since Arenas could serve as a backup SG, he'd be taking Brown's minutes, but Davis can't do that. Also, Davis sucks without the ball in his hands. So now we're also getting a ball dominant PG when we need the ball in Kobe/LO/Pau/Bynum's hands. No thanks.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject:

People saying Arenas takes a lot of shots should consider one thing. He could also take the minutes that Shannon had last year as well as filling in at the point, meaning more shots and looks.

Arenas can make plays, for cheap it'd be a good move, i know for sure that you couldn't get someone as talented for the price it'd likely be if he got cut.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
checkitmyles
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Like I said in my post above, Arenas can play backup SG and take Brown's minutes. B-Davis can't do that, however. So Arenas would make a decent amount of sense either as a backup 2nd PG or a SG, but not as a primary PG, especially if he's out there with the first team. Either that or he'll ahve to understand that he's in a reduced, 4th option in the offense role
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject:

chris paul.

hornets HAVE to trade him, and with new york waiting, i dont' see him willing to be traded anywhere else but possibly here.
if the "extend and trade" is still allowed - i think it's a very realistic scenario.

might even get more interesting in whether the lakers pull the trigger on a paul trade should it become available, if they know there's still some chance at howard ?...
Crème de la Crème
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

might even get more interesting in whether the lakers pull the trigger on a paul trade should it become available, if they know there's still some chance at howard ?...

Bynum+Odom for D12 and Hido
Gasol for CP3
checkitmyles
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Pipe dreams. Besides, that wouldn't improve us that much. Now we're looking at

CP3/Kobe/Peace/???/Howard

Who are you starting at PF now? I'm guessing Hedo? Now we go from having a good size team to being way too small and only able to guard one post player, whereas teams like Memphis now will destroy us, simply cause we only have one post defender.

Also that would leave us with a bench of

Blake/Barnes/Fisher/Goudelock/Morris/Walton

Since Brown is most likely gone, and we won't have any money either since Howard/CP3/Hedo make just as much as Odom/Bynum/Pau. I don't think these trades make us that much better, simply because we are losing depth and size.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any guess on a point guard the Lakers will try to aquire once the season begins?

hrg wrote:
..... but they'd probably have to mortgage Darius Morris and/or Andrew Goudelock, and I DON'T want to see them traded. They could be special in one or two years.....Any other ideas?

My idea is that Darius and Goldielocks will not even be on the Laskers two years from now..
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject:

checkitmyles wrote:
Pipe dreams. Besides, that wouldn't improve us that much. Now we're looking at

CP3/Kobe/Peace/???/Howard

Who are you starting at PF now? I'm guessing Hedo? Now we go from having a good size team to being way too small and only able to guard one post player, whereas teams like Memphis now will destroy us, simply cause we only have one post defender.

Also that would leave us with a bench of

Blake/Barnes/Fisher/Goudelock/Morris/Walton

Since Brown is most likely gone, and we won't have any money either since Howard/CP3/Hedo make just as much as Odom/Bynum/Pau. I don't think these trades make us that much better, simply because we are losing depth and size.

If you have a chance at CP3/Kobe/Dwight you dont pass it up..Wade/LeBron/Bosh just made it to the Finals and they dont even fit together..CP3/Kobe/Dwight would be a great fit

With that said..I agree its Pipe to say the least
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject:

it does not hurt to dream, but where is the 2011 - 2012 season going to begin already?
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject:

Magic Johnson?
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject:

Here's the thing, Baron and Arenas both grew up Lakers fans. So, the Lakers should be able to get one of these guys for cheap (like the vet minimum of 1.5 million or so). I mean, it would be a once in a life time for these guys and I think the Lakers could get some serious bang for their buck. They would get a chance to play in their home town and with great players. Idk which one they would prefer. I would lean toward Arenas since he is doesn't dominate the ball as much as Baron, has the ability to play the two and three and is a better perimeter shooter. Baron is a much better passer and IMO a better defender. Baron is probably less of a head case, I would feel re comfortable as Phil being the head coach with Metta World Peace and Agent Zero on the same team. It would be interesting. I think the Lakers should maybe put their trade exception to good use and absorb Daniel Gibson from Clevland. They still have two other PGs in Irving and Sessions. Gibson is still young and is a decent defender and lights out shooter. He plays off th ball, which would go perfect with the ball dominate Kobe.
lakeshow'80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject:

I think Howard comes to The Lakers with new PG...Gilbert Arenas.

Starting line-up...

Arenas
Kobe
Howard
Pau
Metta...hopefully we can trade him and Luke for Iggy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: