Report: Suns Frontrunner For Amar’e Stoudemire

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Report: Suns Frontrunner For Amar’e Stoudemire

Quote:
Source: Sixers Inquired About Amar'e Stoudemire

Last year at this stage of the season, Amare Stoudemire was the toast of New York. Every time he stepped to the foul line during games at Madison Square Garden, Stoudemire was serenaded with, “M-V-P!” chants and was cited as the catalyst for the resurgence of the Knicks.

These days Stoudemire and the Knicks are struggling to a degree that the inevitable trade chatter is beginning to heat up.

According to a league source, the Sixers have inquired about Stoudemire, though it was categorized as “due diligence.” Nothing is said to be imminent or even in the early stages other than just talk, the source said. Nevertheless, in past seasons the Sixers were reportedly discussing trade scenarios with the Phoenix Suns in order to acquire Stoudemire. Whether or not the Sixers can afford Stoudemire, of course, is an issue too. Stoudemire is the ninth-highest paid player in the NBA after signing a five-year, $100 million contract before the 2010-11 season. He earns $18.2 million this season, $19.9 million next season and approximately $45 million between 2013 and 2015.

Incidentally, the Knicks are also paying a similar five-year deal out to forward Carmelo Anthony, a player whose arrival in New York snubbed out those M-V-P! chants for Stoudemire. Since arriving in a trade with Denver, Anthony has maintained his career averages by taking nearly 20 shots per game. The trickle down is there hasn’t been much room for Stoudemire in the Knicks’ offense. This season Stoudemire is scoring just 17.6 points per game on 41.3 percent shooting, down from 25.3 points on 50.2 percent shooting last season. When he arrived in New York, Stoudemire was the focal point of the offense, squeezing off more than 19 shots per game.

This season he is getting a little more than 15 shots per game.

Certainly Stoudemire and Anthony coexisting would not be an issue if the Knicks were winning. At 7-12 heading into Saturday’s action, the Knicks were picked by some pundits to win the Atlantic Division. The acquisition of frontline defender Tyson Chandler was supposed to mask Anthony’s and Stoudemire’s defensive shortcomings, but instead has heightened the team’s flawed offensive approach.

Nevertheless, the Sixers might have the shots Stoudemire needs. Even when center Spencer Hawes and rookie Nik Vucevic are healthy, the Sixers lack a go-to scoring and low-post presence. Plus, when hawes is in the lineup, the Sixers’ half-court offense depends on the big man’s passing ability, though passing the ball is hardly Stoudemire’s strong suit.

Stoudemire, 29, was the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2002-03 and is a six-time All-Star. He also finished in the top 10 in the MVP voting in three of the past four seasons and ranks eighth amongst active players in scoring.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/sixers-talk/post/Source-Sixers-inquire-about-Stoudemire?blockID=640460&feedID=694

Last edited by Lakerfan 4 Life on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:05 am; edited 2 times in total
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Never felt Stoudemire was a max contract player. Good but not great. His elite status was a mirage created by Steve Nash.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
Never felt Stoudemire was a max contract player. Good but not great. His elite status was a mirage created by Steve Nash.

Another player getting exposed when he loses his point guard!!!!
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I think Amare was an elite player. I think people forget about his microfracture surgery. To me, he is no where near the player he used to be. The player who destroyed Tim Duncan in the playoffs. I admire that he can even get back to this level with such a surgery. He used to be just NASTY.
omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Interesting....

This is interesting because is could give the Knicks a third team to work with if the Magic get serious about moving Dwight Howard. 76ers have some young talent in Evan Turner, Thadeus Young, and Elton Brand, who only has one year left on his deal. Still not a better offer than Gasol and Bynum, but potentially gives the Knicks more assets than they have now for a trade.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
I think Amare was an elite player. I think people forget about his microfracture surgery. To me, he is no where near the player he used to be. The player who destroyed Tim Duncan in the playoffs. I admire that he can even get back to this level with such a surgery. He used to be just NASTY.

I have never thought Amare to be an elite player. Difference of opinion, I know. Steve Nash made him everything he was. The minute he left Phoenix - I knew he was done.. he doesn't really have that much one-on-one ability. Like, you can't throw him the ball in the post and tell him to go and make a bucket. He's reliant on point guards getting him the ball in a pick and pop or pick and roll situation to be effective.

His FG percentage while playing with Nash was roughly 50% consistently throughout his tenure there. His FG the past two years in NY? 40%
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Amare is obviously not an elite player; just an above-average scorer. If he were elite, the loss of Steve Nash would not have affected him so greatly. But New York missed out on every other big name free agent, last summer. Amare was a consolation prize for Knicks fans.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I always thought Amar'e wasn't an elite level player, just had a system and a point guard that made him look very good. Although, it still showed he was a below average rebounder for someone with his size and athleticism, and a below average defender on and off the ball.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject:

Yes. I remember in the playoffs they basically iso'd Pau Gasol and let him abuse Amare on the block. I laughed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject:

I'd rather have a Iggy/L.Williams for Pau deal. Philly won't go anywhere using a Brand/T.Young frontcourt to finish games. They need size. We need a SF/PG.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. I wonder what they'd be willing to give up to get Amare, and maybe they'd be interested in Pau if that didn't work?

I'd be down for Igoudala plus Holiday and filler.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
IllegalD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd rather have a Iggy/L.Williams for Pau deal. Philly won't go anywhere using a Brand/T.Young frontcourt to finish games. They need size. We need a SF/PG.

This makes total sense for all concerned. An elite perimeter defender in Iggy who can handle the ball and distribute ala Scottie Pippen. Lou can on occasion stay in front of his player and nail a three, but not too sure about his ability to penetrate. But definitely a leap above anything we got.

I also think this move is enough to show Dwight some forward progress in the Laker organization in preparation for his becoming the man once Kobe slows down.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Amare is just a byproduct of his coach. If he played for someone else other than Pringles he would not be the Allstar he is today.

---George Carlin
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject:

IllegalD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This makes total sense for all concerned. An elite perimeter defender in Iggy who can handle the ball and distribute ala Scottie Pippen. Lou can on occasion stay in front of his player and nail a three, but not too sure about his ability to penetrate. But definitely a leap above anything we got.

I also think this move is enough to show Dwight some forward progress in the Laker organization in preparation for his becoming the man once Kobe slows down.

Honestly, why would the 76ers want Amare's terrible contract coupled with his declining game. At least Pau's contract is several years shorter than Amare, and Pau can play both the PF and C spot. So Philly could conceivably have a lineup of:

PG: Holiday
SG: Meeks
SF: Turner/T.Young
PF: Brand
C: Pau

I think that's a more balanced lineup than the one they have right now where they essentially have Young at the PF and Brand at the C spot. It may be working out in the regular season, but that won't cut it in the playoffs. Amare won't solve that problem either since he's not really a center and would defensively hurt the 76ers.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Amar'e Stoudemire Weighs Buyout Request After All-Star Break

Quote:
Amar'e Stoudemire Weighs Buyout Request After All-Star Break

Marc J. Spears
By Marc J. Spears 2 hours ago Yahoo Sports

Amar'e Stoudemire plans to use the All-Star break to decide whether he will request the New York Knicks for a contract buyout.

"It's not an easy decision to make," Stoudemire said. "Over time, we will see how things pan out. You give yourself a break during the All-Star break. You think about it with your family. …That will give me a good solid week on how to weigh out the rest of the season.

"All possibilities at this point are still open. The door is still open for that. But at the same time, I am with the Knicks now. I got to stay optimistic about things and what we are doing here. I can't really focus on the future because it's not here."

Stoudemire making $23.4 million this season and it is virtually impossible for the Knicks to trade him before the Feb. 19 deadline.

The Los Angeles Clippers, Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers could have interest in Stoudemire if he becomes a free agent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/amar-e-stoudemire--i-ll-decide-during-all-star-break-whether-to-ask-knicks-for-buyout-054810602.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Amare is just a byproduct of his coach. If he played for someone else other than Pringles he would not be the Allstar he is today.

I disagree with that. He was a legit all star before he fell apart. A couple of microfracture surgeries can make a big difference.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

Amare's #1 consideration will be the fashion market scene on his new team.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Report: Suns Frontrunner For Amar’e Stoudemire

Quote:
Report: Suns Frontrunner For Amar’e Stoudemire

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report · Feb 10

Hearing Suns likely front-runner for Amar'e Stoudemire when he gets bought out. He wants back to Phoenix. Suns concerned w/Alex Len's ankle.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/565277757509488642

Quote:
Jordan Schultz ✔ @Schultz_Report

Amar'e Stoudemire buyout depends on how much money he wants to give up, but #Suns are likely front-runners/serious contenders if it happens.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/565280152654209026
png
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

The Mavs are in the equation. -- The Mavs are trying to get Amare....... and still trying to get JO.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

PHX makes a lot of sense. He already played there and they have the best medical staff.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

DALLAS
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject:

Its amazing how all these guys are leaving for Dallas...
Chandler Parsons.
Rajon Rondo.
and now Amare Stoudamire.
It was only a season or two ago when Dallas looked like a long way from being contenders.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Corey78 wrote:

I have never thought Amare to be an elite player. Difference of opinion, I know. Steve Nash made him everything he was. The minute he left Phoenix - I knew he was done.. he doesn't really have that much one-on-one ability. Like, you can't throw him the ball in the post and tell him to go and make a bucket. He's reliant on point guards getting him the ball in a pick and pop or pick and roll situation to be effective.

His FG percentage while playing with Nash was roughly 50% consistently throughout his tenure there. His FG the past two years in NY? 40%

Can't do anything without Nash eh?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B98C4q-IUAEwfCd.jpg:large
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: