NBA and BSPN trying to hype up Jeremy Lin in order to fill the hole left by Yao Ming
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaqobe2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: NBA and BSPN trying to hype up Jeremy Lin in order to fill the hole left by Yao Ming

they want to create a phenomenon that will attract interests from the big Chinese market, but they forget one thing, Lin was born here in the U.S. and his parents were from Taiwan. as if you don't know, people in China (PRC) don't give a rat a** about a Taiwanese guy. Yao Ming was one of their own, Jeremy Lin? not so much.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject:

LOL, you must not know about asian stars in entertainment. They have plenty of crossover potential that is bigger than a countries borders. If the guy is good enough, he will have no trouble attracting followers in both China and Taiwan. Considering his family has links to both China and Taiwan I have no doubt he will have a following.
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject:

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
They have plenty of crossover potential that is bigger than a countries borders.

Crossover of talent from the film and television industry has been embraced on both sides of the strait especially in recent years, so they'll support him as well if he continues to do well. He instantly gained a bunch of new fans there when he said he'd consider playing for the Chinese national team.
shaqobe2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
They have plenty of crossover potential that is bigger than a countries borders.

Crossover of talent from the film and television industry has been embraced on both sides of the strait especially in recent years, so they'll support him as well if he continues to do well. He instantly gained a bunch of new fans there when he said he'd consider playing for the Chinese national team.

he said that? if he did he probably meant Taiwan national team (Republic of China)
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Actually, ESPN don't hafta put any stank on it. Dude is doing this in the number one market in this country - so the hype is already there. New Yorkers will make damn sure of that. And the fact that he's a little guy (even though he's 6'3", 200), in NYC and Asian, you can't help but be drawn to that especially in a sport that's dominated by African-Americans. Yeah, you don't wanna put race into it but unfortunately it is. If he were a brotha or white, I don't think you'd see as many Asian-Americans in the stands with signs and Lin Jerseys. Dude is a breath of fresh air for the league and you can't help but root for the dude.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Wow. People around here will find any reason to bash ESPN. Lin is a great story get and they are covering it.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Wow. People around here will find any reason to bash ESPN. Lin is a great story get and they are covering it.

right on point .....
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject:

shaqobe2000 wrote:
K2 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

he said that? if he did he probably meant Taiwan national team (Republic of China)

Well, he was in China (PRC) when he answered the question very carefully in English.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Also, the NBA always tries to hype the Knicks. Carmelo and Amare have stunk up the joint, and now you have this compelling Lin story to fill the void.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject:

What came first? Performance or hype? I posted this in a similar thread to, but it is ESPN's JOB to promote and hype. The NBA and ESPN are closely tied together, profit for one leads to profits for the other it's really simple. How does this come a surprise to you? Benchwarmer starts balling his ass off, of course there will be hype. He dropped almost 40 on the Lakers and made it look easy. They hype is well deserved, he has earned it. He also proved he isn't a one hit wonder. So hype away ESPN and NBA, milk that cash cow as much as possible.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LOL, you must not know about asian stars in entertainment. They have plenty of crossover potential that is bigger than a countries borders. If the guy is good enough, he will have no trouble attracting followers in both China and Taiwan. Considering his family has links to both China and Taiwan I have no doubt he will have a following.

This.

The OP doesn't seem to have much knowledge of Chinese/Taiwanese singers/actors/famous people. Ton of crossover popularity among them.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Make that money Lin, I aint mad at ya.

!...
shaqobe2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

This.

The OP doesn't seem to have much knowledge of Chinese/Taiwanese singers/actors/famous people. Ton of crossover popularity among them.

i'm a Chinese American, i grew up with the "Famous Four" in Hong Kong of the 90s. and im a big Jay Chou fan. but to me, sports is different than entertainment, singers sell themselves, but sport stars need promotions and hype.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Lin has EARNED every ounce of hype he has right now.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject:

shaqobe2000 wrote:

sport stars need promotions and hype.

He's doing alright in the hype department, he's been immortalized in one of those animation sequences:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2012/02/knicks-guard-jeremy-lin-immortalized-with-taiwanese-animation
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
shaqobe2000 wrote:
K2 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Well, he was in China (PRC) when he answered the question very carefully in English.

Without going into politics, PRC consider Taiwan part of China, but some "native" Taiwanese think it's an insult if you consider them Chinese. But Jeremy Lin is a smart guy, of course he's going to endear himself to mainland China, a market with a billion people buddy, endorsement heaven.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
K2 wrote:
shaqobe2000 wrote:
K2 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Without going into politics, PRC consider Taiwan part of China, but some "native" Taiwanese think it's an insult if you consider them Chinese. But Jeremy Lin is a smart guy, of course he's going to endear himself to mainland China, a market with a billion people buddy, endorsement heaven.

It's smart for him to maximize his earning potential and from an NBA perspective, he would be a great ambassador to promote the game as he's already done so with many trips to both China and Taiwan.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:

shaqobe2000 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

This.

i'm a Chinese American, i grew up with the "Famous Four" in Hong Kong of the 90s. and im a big Jay Chou fan. but to me, sports is different than entertainment, singers sell themselves, but sport stars need promotions and hype.

That's fair. I don't know, I guess we'll see. Lot of my family that are Chinese/Viet (Vietnamese born Chinese) are all up in the Jeremy Lin hype.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Lin's skills must be fake ones. ESPN and Stern worked together to fool NBA audiences.

Some tools said Lin was a byproduct of NY Coach's system.

FISHER NOW KNOWS WHERE TO GO TO BECOME THAT GRRRREAT BYPRODUCT.

BE PATIENT NEWYOORKER. FISHER, THE 5 TIME NBA CHAMPION POINT GUARD, WILL BE YOUR NEXT GREATEST BYPRODUCT UNDER D'ANTONI'S SYSTEM.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Guys, it's a great story. But it's only been 4 games.

GMs, scouts, etc. of numerous teams decided he wasn't all that great. Heck, even the Knicks themselves at one point, said they were leaning toward releasing him, just barely 2 weeks ago.

I really hope he succeeds. But it's only been 4 games. He went 8-for-24 tonight and obviously, teams will start focusing on him. Let's see how well he does when teams are gunning to stop him.

FWIW, it's a great story and I hope he succeeds. Undrafted Asian Harvard guy that's so unsure whether he'll stay as a NYK he sleeps in his brother's sofa, then scores the most points of any NBA starter's first 4 games since the ABA/NBA merger back in '76? Wow.
chipotleattack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject:

composite wrote:
Guys, it's a great story. But it's only been 4 games.

GMs, scouts, etc. of numerous teams decided he wasn't all that great. Heck, even the Knicks themselves at one point, said they were leaning toward releasing him, just barely 2 weeks ago.

I really hope he succeeds. But it's only been 4 games. He went 8-for-24 tonight and obviously, teams will start focusing on him. Let's see how well he does when teams are gunning to stop him.

FWIW, it's a great story and I hope he succeeds. Undrafted Asian Harvard guy that's so unsure whether he'll stay as a NYK he sleeps in his brother's sofa, then scores the most points of any NBA starter's first 4 games since the ABA/NBA merger back in '76? Wow.

I agree about the short term nature of the Lin phenomenon, but GMs are publicly stating it was a mistake not keeping him. He was on fire in the 1st half today with something like 15 points. Then he went 1 for 13 in the 2nd, but he was more winded, rather than the defense locking him down. He's the real deal. The real test is when Melo and Amare come back. And then next season if he's not with the Knicks, we'll have to see how he works in another system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject:

They has every right to hype him... it's a business and Lin is making the Knicks, the NBA, and ESPN money. If you ran any of those organizations/companies, you'd do the same thing. Yao Ming or not, the NBA is wildly popular in China and Taiwan. For the longest time, Iverson was the most popular player, even more popular than Yao at times. The current hype has little to do with Yao, and more to do with a compelling story. Even if he flames out at some point, it will have been a ride that few of us will forget. And that is good for the NBA - finding something positive to look at after the lockout and the trade fiascos. So once again, if it were Stern, I'd be wearing T-Shirts with Lin puns too.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject:

chipotleattack wrote:

I agree about the short term nature of the Lin phenomenon, but GMs are publicly stating it was a mistake not keeping him. He was on fire in the 1st half today with something like 15 points. Then he went 1 for 13 in the 2nd, but he was more winded, rather than the defense locking him down. He's the real deal. The real test is when Melo and Amare come back. And then next season if he's not with the Knicks, we'll have to see how he works in another system.

Yeah he looked winded, it's been quite a week for him and today Rubio was shadowing him everywhere. By the 2nd half, Lin got blocked a couple of times, tweaked an ankle, turned the ball over 6 times, and got muscled around after Blake did a number on him the previous night. D'Antoni should have rested him, but probably wanted to keep that ankle from stiffening up and win again.

Not sure how long everything will last for the kid, but major props for what he's done w/ the opportunity. Hope it can continue with the regulars coming back. Truly a great story, I had for the most part been skeptical about his chances since draft day, but he does have a real future in the league with some team... hopefully with purple & gold colors.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject:

It's pretty crazy going from almost no playing time to 30+ min a game as the main engine of the offense. He's definitely trying to play his way into shape right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: