Mayweather on Lin: "All the hype is because he's Asian"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Most of the hype surrounding Lin comes from the fact that he's pretty damn good. There was very little hype when Yuta Tabuse became the first Asian guard to play in the NBA, because he sucked.
i went to the summer league to see the guy play. just because he was ASIAN. not because he was good. i didnt even know how good he was. i wanted to see an ASIAN guy make it. and beat all the odds. and i'm black like big mouth mayweather.
so sorry, ASIAN came first.

that's just stupid...

where was this hype when Lin was balling in Golden State?

it was no where... Lin is getting attention because he is balling... Mayweather and his clueless crew is just jealous, like he's always been. he is a racist and embodies what is so BAD with many successful athletes today.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject:

icedwhite wrote:
PurpleAndGold24 wrote:
Mayweather such a joke. And I hope he's going to fight Pacquiao. So Pac-man can beat the sh1t outtttt of him.

you can be mad at floyd for what he said, but pac ain't beating floyd. real boxing fans know floyd will pick him apart.

Floyd knows Pac will beat him at their prime... why do you think he's been running the past 3 year?

now, Floyd will fight Pacman when they are older, when Pac is slower and his power is diminished... Floyd is too scared to fight Pac in their primes.

Truth.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
i went to the summer league to see the guy play. just because he was ASIAN. not because he was good. i didnt even know how good he was. i wanted to see an ASIAN guy make it. and beat all the odds. and i'm black like big mouth mayweather.

I believe it. You scare me pnp.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
K2 wrote:
It is an amazing story of someone who's able to disrupt the established perception of what basketball players can do on the NBA level.

To be honest when LGers brought up Lin in 2010 I was extremely skeptical and no thanks in part to Sun Yue's time here which hadn't worked out too well for him.

Just skimmed through the draft discussion and thought if this Jeremy kid can make it, more power to him, but more than likely he's probably going to be like Sun Yue who was a foul machine whenever he got playing time.

Props to the LGers who saw something in him very early, I don't think I've been so glad to be wrong. I haven't been this far off since Hideo Nomo for the Dodgers who created quite a sensation as well.
hey dont talk about my boy the chinese magic. the difference between lin and chinese magic was that lin is normal pg height. C-magic was 6'9. thats very tall to be a pg. he had the game of a true point guard. but wasnt a great scorer. was very thin and wasnt very strong. you cant be that thin and that tall and have to handle the ball alot but cant shoot and really dont look to score. thats a recipe for disaster. i was more or less hoping on a miracle.

Lin being smaller means he's probably more agile. and even though lin is thin. he has a bit more size on him then chinese magic. lin doesnt look like skin and bones. which means he can take a little contact and keep going to the rack. the fact that lin isnt afraid of nba players because he's an Asian AMERICAN =playing with similar guys, growing up with a similar attitude when it comes to the basketball courts. that helps him a lot. if lin was 6'7 with hops.. he would've already dunked on someone and yelled. if the chinese magic got a dunk like that he would probably smile and jog the other way. its a different culture. when you're an american vs when you're coming from somewhere else trying to play ball in america.

Spot on PnP, some of the barriers that might have hindered C-Magic did not apply to Lin who was acclimated to the competition in a gradual way from the earliest days in high school, college, and the pros. For Sun to jump into a situation where the language,culture, level of play, and lack of playing time were factors, it wasn't going to be an easy adjustment at all.
jim93
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

You are incredibly naive. You think that's why Lin is being hyped? Really? You have something to learn about the mainstream. His story is nice, but no one would know about his story if he wasn't doing what he's doing as an Asian-American in the NBA, playing for the New York Knicks. There have been players who have had better stories, players who went on to have big games in the NBA, and you don't see their face plastered over ESPN every single day. This isn't just exclusive to the NBA, Kurt Warner went from bagging groceries to being the Super Bowl MVP and future HOF, and he never got this kind of hype - in a league 3x as popular as the NBA.

Was that all in the same year? Wasnt he also an avid christian like Tebow and Lin?
Sounds like the plot to a movie especially since he wins the superbowl.

This didnt make the news everyday. Warnersation?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Jeremy's a disappointment. Tonight he only got 5 REB 13 AST 10 PTS. He's going to be a bust. He has to stop all the distributing and shoot the ball.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Jeremy wears this vest and this hat to nightclubs. And these shoes.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Most of the hype surrounding Lin comes from the fact that he's pretty damn good. There was very little hype when Yuta Tabuse became the first Asian guard to play in the NBA, because he sucked.

oh man...you're on a roll! Love the honesty!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

He's just saying what EVERYONE is thinking. Yall can lie about it here all you want, but you know it's true. Just like when a dude with a turban gets on a plane with you...you can't honestly say you react EXACTLY the same way as when a blond man in a suit walks in. You can say anything you want, but you know...you were thinking something!

All this uber-sensitivity in this thread shows just one thing for sure...pnp's got more balls than all of us.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

He's just saying what EVERYONE is thinking. Yall can lie about it here all you want, but you know it's true. Just like when a dude with a turban gets on a plane with you...you can't honestly say you react EXACTLY the same way as when a blond man in a suit walks in. You can say anything you want, but you know...you were thinking something!

All this uber-sensitivity in this thread shows just one thing for sure...pnp's got more balls than all of us.

Actually it says more about the way you both think.

And I think that's a conspiracy.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

Nutjobs of a feather flock together.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
The answer is D.) All of the above.
we all agree with that. except for big mouth mayweather. but the real question is if you broke down the causes by percentages. a good 80 to 90% would be "because he's asian or even asian american"

It's so good!! This is my favorite thread of the year now.

pnp...preach, brutha! I love this. We always try to cover our tracks with our politically correct comments. Is it really that bad to just admit what we're all thinking? This isn't a court room, nobody is going to get in trouble here. No need to be sooooooo sensitive. (No offense DB, I'm not criticizing you...I just love pnp's followup )

As Seinfeld says in the very appropriate episode, "The Chinese Woman":
"If I like their race...how can that be racist?"
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
superboy wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

Nutjobs of a feather flock together.

As usual...when you disagree, you resort to personal attacks. Very clever.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject:

In case it's been forgotten, LeBron James, Blake Griffith are not Asian. LeBron's ESPN's poster boy. Blake's lob city's face. they're being hyped also. Whatever sells, selling the NBA 101.

Im not annoyed by the Lin hype. I'm totally turned off by LeBron and Blake being shoved down my throat.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
In case it's been forgotten, LeBron James, Blake Griffith are not Asian. LeBron's ESPN's poster boy. Blake's lob city's face. they're being hyped also. Whatever sells, selling the NBA 101.

Im not annoyed by the Lin hype. I'm totally turned off by LeBron and Blake being shoved down my throat.

It is good to have new hype in a while. I have heard Lebron this and that for 3 years already, and, frankly, I am so tired of it.

This decade is the decade of hype. So I can't expect much because there will be hype.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:

You do realize that there are more people in this country than asians. Of course they are hyped and excited about it, but for everybody else, I don't believe it's 90% because of his descent. The media will hype it of course, and just like Tiger they will ride it, but he story has no legs if the guy doesn't ball. For the Asian Americans, it is very important, but for everybody else, it's the story, and the balling first.

What about Jackie Robinson? Was he a sensation simply because he was black? If you want to be honest, that is partially the case, but not some overwhelming number like you spout. The kid is balling. Period

Last edited by LakerJosh on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe, some of us aren't hyped because he's asian, but because of his story and because of how he is balling in his first 6 starts.

Yeah, sure other guys have come out of the second round. Name another player that wasn't given a college scholarship, went undrafted, got dropped by two teams, was about to be dropped by a third team and then balled like this in his first 7 games with serious minutes?

Can you HONESTLY name another player with that story? PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NAME somebody with a story that good in terms of basketball, not upbringing.

Sure there were guys that had it rough growing up, or got drafted in the second round, but nobody has been in his situation, and just blown away everybody's perceptions quite like Lin. ON TOP of that, he's Asian American. If he were not balling there would be no story here.

If Jackie Robinson weren't a great player, would we revere him as much as we do today for breaking the color barrier? No, he would simply be a footnote in history. You know what he is revered, because he was a fantastic player AND he broke the color barrier.
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:
superboy wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe, some of us aren't hyped because he's asian, but because of his story and because of how he is balling in his first 6 starts.

Yeah, sure other guys have come out of the second round. Name another player that wasn't given a college scholarship, went undrafted, got dropped by two teams, was about to be dropped by a third team and then balled like this in his first 7 games with serious minutes?

Can you HONESTLY name another player with that story? PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NAME somebody with a story that good in terms of basketball, not upbringing.

Sure there were guys that had it rough growing up, or got drafted in the second round, but nobody has been in his situation, and just blown away everybody's perceptions quite like Lin. ON TOP of that, he's Asian American. If he were not balling there would be no story here.

If Jackie Robinson weren't a great player, would we revere him as much as we do today for breaking the color barrier? No, he would simply be a footnote in history. You know what he is revered, because he was a fantastic player AND he broke the color barrier.

If Jackie Robinson wasn't black, would you be bringing him up right now?

Look...none of us WANT this to be about race. But it is. Deal with it. And stop lying to yourself.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:
LakerJosh wrote:
superboy wrote:

Look...none of us WANT this to be about race. But it is. Deal with it. And stop lying to yourself.

IBTL I wonder how many here know who Earl Lloyd is and what he meant to basketball? He was Black but not a great player, he was just the first African American to play in the NBA.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject:

superboy wrote:
LakerJosh wrote:
superboy wrote:

Did you even read his post?

All you got was Jackie Robinson was black?
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject:

EASY QUESTION to end all this BS

If he was african american or w/e..

Is he playing really good basketball for a 2nd year player?

PER 24.67 -- above Kobe

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Look, just because a lot of Asian Americans are really excited to see a fellow Asian American excelling in a sport they love, that doesn't mean it's the reason ESPN and other sports media outlets are hyping Lin. There is a statistical side to the equation i.e. points, assists and, most importantly, wins. Not to mention the underdog "out of nowhere" aspect.
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject:

akgolf wrote:
superboy wrote:
LakerJosh wrote:
superboy wrote:

Did you even read his post?

All you got was Jackie Robinson was black?

I read it. I disagree. I think it's much more about race than any other story angle such as going to Harvard, his upbringing, etc. All the players have some kind of interesting story. Trying to make the point that his story is singular and that's the majority of the reason for the hype doesn't work for me. I can pick any player and find out details about his story that makes him exactly unique...and I can ask the same "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NAME ..." question.

When it's all said and done, Lin is primarily going to be known as the first professional Chinese point guard in the NBA. Why there is anything negative associated with this, I have no idea. Race makes people nervous, so what? We all deal with it every day. You're like the guy who looks at someone who's black or white and says "I don't see race". What does that mean? Like, you can't see that he's a different color than you? If I see a black man, I'm aware that this is a black person. So what? When I see a tall man, I'm aware the person is tall. So what? When I see someone without a mustache, I'm aware that he doesn't have a mustache. So what? But if someone comes up to me and says "Did you notice he doesn't have a mustache?" I wouldn't say "Oh wow...I didn't even notice." That would be a lie.

So if you ask me, is Lin's hype mostly about being Chinese, I would say of course! So what? I know it, my Chinese friends knows it, pnp knows it, his Chinese friends know it. It's like you have some kind of internal brain struggle going on where your brain is trying to reduce the significance of the Chinese angle and lower it to be the same as the unique number of brothers and sisters he has...so you can say, "it's really not about race".
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Are people really missing the reason why he's getting hyped? Chinese Americans, like myself, love him because he's a Chinese American doing well in the NBA, true, but we compose a small minority of the people getting hyped by this guy. The real reason why he's getting hyped by everyone and their mother is because he's doing this on the KNICKS. A team that was supposed to be a super power in the East with Stoudemire and the acquisition of Carmelo Anthony, and then proceeded to fall flat on its face and go 8-15 in their first 23 games heading straight for the lottery. He gets playing time out of pure desperation from D'Antoni against the Nets and he leads the Knicks to victory. Amare and Stoudemire both proceed to miss the next 5 or so games and Lin leads the superstarless Knicks, biggest market in the league, to 6 straight victories.

A complete unknown guy, cut from 2 teams, acquired by a 3rd whose head coach was heard musing that Lin was a waste of a spot and would never get time, was about to get cut again before the coach gave him a shot and he just blew up, saving the season of the supposed power house Knicks. The fact that he's a Chinese American (or Taiwanese American if you want to get picky) is what gets us Chinese Americans hyped, but the rest of the story is what is getting everyone else (and the VAST MAJORITY of NBA fans are not Chinese American or Asian American) hyped and worked up about the kid. Everyone loves an underdog story, and he's been an underdog basically his entire career. He's a great story.
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
EASY QUESTION to end all this BS

If he was african american or w/e..

Is he playing really good basketball for a 2nd year player?

PER 24.67 -- above Kobe

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics

I don't think anybody is claiming that he's not playing some good basketball. It's not like they're exclusive things. You can play good basketball and be first Chinese NBA pg. But without the Chinese part, this thread wouldn't be this long.

This is the exact same thing we went through with jason williams...jayson?? I don't remember...white chocolate, whichever that one was.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: