Mayweather on Lin: "All the hype is because he's Asian"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Spike sticking up for Lin on twitter:

Floyd Mayweather Sounds Like Rush Limbaugh When He Talks About Jeremy Lin Saying He's Only Getting Attention Because He's Asian.WAKE UP YO.

Floyd Mayweather I Hope You Watched Jeremy Hit The Gamewinning 3 Pointer With .005 Seconds Left.Our Guy Can BALL PLAIN AND SIMPLE.RECOGNIZE.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject:

icedwhite wrote:
PurpleAndGold24 wrote:
Mayweather such a joke. And I hope he's going to fight Pacquiao. So Pac-man can beat the sh1t outtttt of him.

you can be mad at floyd for what he said, but pac ain't beating floyd. real boxing fans know floyd will pick him apart.

I absolutely can't stand Floyd, but I'm afraid this is too true. Before Manny's fight with Márquez, I thought he might be able to win depending on the situation but after that god awful performance I don't see how he can beat a guy who is faster and better than Márquez. That's why I still don't understand Floyd's logic in not taking the fight? What exactly is he afraid of.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Didn't you see his example he used? Monta Ellis.

Yes, Monta Ellis scoring big is the same as this.

Yes, exactly the same. The only thing different is the race of the players involved.

He's already chosen to ignore every single one of those aspects and respond with one thing. It's his race!!! It's just...it just has to be!!!

How can you possibly argue with that?

Again, there are plenty of guys who score and dish like him sure. Then again, none of those guys went undrafted, cut by two teams, almost cut by a third and then went absolutely nuts with star like numbers in their first 5 starts. Mona Ellis did this? How is that the same at all.

Use some sense people. Sure race is a part of the story, but I like to believe it's because of his actual accomplishments. Considering that nobody has ever done what he's done since the merger, that's pretty damn good.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject:

some more responses on twitter:

Chris Rock @chrisrock
Somebody needs to tell mayweather that bibby , shumpert, and Douglas are black .

Charles Oakley @CharlesOakley34
Great win tonight @nyknicks ! Lin look like Manny Pacquiao in the ring. Another KNOCKOUT! Smile Mayweather!

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject:

Pow Gasol wrote:
some more responses on twitter:

Chris Rock @chrisrock
Somebody needs to tell mayweather that bibby , shumpert, and Douglas are black .

Charles Oakley @CharlesOakley34
Great win tonight @nyknicks ! Lin look like Manny Pacquiao in the ring. Another KNOCKOUT! Smile Mayweather!

Those are awesome.

---George Carlin
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers: At this point you've gone so far out of your way to ignore the circumstances of what has made this such a remarkable story, including snipping the quotes out of posts, that I can't tell if you know you're licked and don't want to admit it or if your issues with race run deeper than originally thought. I'm not sure how much more mileage this conversation can have when you refuse to respond to the thesis of what I'm trying to say, going as far as to eliminating my quotes when responding. I'm also less than enthused moving forward if the crux of your argument seems to be "it's his race cuz I said so. It's obvious. You're naive. It's his race. I mean I can't back it up in any real way, but it's his race. I swear."

Most people understand this story, even if you don't. Lin's teammate Tyson Chandler described it last night:

Quote:
“It’s one thing if this is Kyrie Irving,” Chandler said. “Or John Wall. There’s expectations. Coming in, you think, ‘Wow, this kid is going to be special.’ You don’t see this coming. Undrafted, gets cut from Golden State, cut in [Houston], and probably days away from being cut by the New York Knicks. And then all of a sudden … ”

Most of my friends aren't into sports, so some have been asking me about Lin because they know I'm a big NBA fan. I'm able to describe why it's a big story without mentioning that Lin is Asian, and they get it. I'm sad for you that you don't. You should check out Adrian Wojnarowski's column this morning on last night's game and Linsanity in general. Lin's race is mentioned 0 times.

LINK
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But we only care because hes asian RT @TommyBeer: LeBron scored 84 points in his first 5 career starts. Iverson, 107. Kobe, 80. Lin has 136

G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
But we only care because hes asian RT @TommyBeer: LeBron scored 84 points in his first 5 career starts. Iverson, 107. Kobe, 80. Lin has 136

There's a difference. LeBron and Iverson's first 5 career starts were also their first 5 career games. And LeBron came straight from high school.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject:

I think race plays a role but it's not the major role. I think being in NY and getting hyped beyond measure by their media plays the major role. Didn't we see this exact same thing in 2003 with Flip Murray (came out of nowhere, ballin)? Go look at his 1st ten games that season subbing for Ray Allen. Vernon Maxwell came out of nowhere and helped us win a title.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject:

I don't think Floyd's remarks are off base, it's the messenger not the message.

Of course Lin's ancestry plays a role in the attentions he getting. Not to recognize that, to me, is to posses a ostrich mentality. His size is too a factor. He's no Yao.

I'm on the Linsanity wagon. I'll admit the attraction is because of his lineage. I'm pleased with his success regardless of his descent.

I'll also admit to being drawn to him by his religion. I was surprised when asked about his game winning shot he said "I want to first thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ".

I assumed he was connected to religion by a Asian practice. I now see him and others of Asian decent in a different light. I was ignorant to Christianity being widely practiced by Asians. I hope I'm not labeled as a racist, I admit to being ignorant.

We need a PG......DO IT MITCH

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject:

G wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

There's a difference. LeBron and Iverson's first 5 career starts were also their first 5 career games. And LeBron came straight from high school.

LeBron came from high school with huge expectations. All those players had huge expectations.

Lin was a guy that didn't even get a scholarship to a Div I school. He didn't even get drafted. He was a guy sitting at the end of the bench and got cut twice this year.

He was so low down the totem pole that he was barely allowed to even practice with the team during his short time in Houston.

And you're trying to insinuate that somehow the situations are similar to other players?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Of course Lin's ancestry plays a role in the attentions he getting. Not to recognize that, to me, is to posses a ostrich mentality. His size is too a factor. He's no Yao.

I'm on the Linsanity wagon. I'll admit the attraction is because of his lineage. I'm pleased with his success regardless of his descent.

I'll also admit to being drawn to him by his religion. I was surprised when asked about his game winning shot he said "I want to first thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ".

I assumed he was connected to religion by a Asian practice. I now see him and others of Asian decent in a different light. I was ignorant to Christianity being widely practiced by Asians. I hope I'm not labeled as a racist, I admit to being ignorant.

His race only plays into it in the sense that he is breaking stereotypes. He is exceeding expectations that people even unintentionally have set based on his ethnicity.

Being an Asian male isn't something that anyone can point to in this country as something that makes you popular. Therefore, Mayweather's insinuation that his hype is only because he's Asian is pretty dumb.

If being Asian was enough to get you a lot of hype for just doing what everyone else is doing, then where are all the highly hyped Asian actors? The highly hyped Asian anything?

The real draw of Lin is the underdog story. He has overcome a lot. And one of the many things he has overcome is the stereotype that is associated with Asians and sports. But it isn't the only thing he's had to overcome.

And most people love that. Even if they unintentionally hold some stereotypes themselves, they love to be proven wrong. They love to see someone humble come up and succeed when everyone expects them to fail.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Floyd was sitting at his computer and thinking, "Hmm I haven't reminded anyone lately that I'm a gigantic prick. To the Twitter feed!"

If Floyd wants to make a list of undrafted black players who were cut by multiple teams before going on a scoring tear like this I'd love to read it.

The hype is quite strong, nonetheless.

I mean, CNN is running Lin-promotional segments routinely this morning. Yesterday, on my way home, John Ireland was giving Lin updates every 10 minutes as if someone was pitching a no-hitter in a playoff game or getting close to finishing the season batting over .400.

It's a great story, no doubt about it. But yeah ... put me in the let's-not-get-ahead-of-ourselves Kobe vantage point crew.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I don't think anyone denies there's a role it plays. It's the people that make it out to be the ONLY reason. That, I'll have a problem with.

With that said...we need a PG. Free Goudelock.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject:

Jeremy Lin is Asian-American.

It seems a small percentage like Mayweather are just focusing on the Asian part - forgetting this is an American story unfolding.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss

Last edited by DonMagicWand on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject:

This is also a kid who went to Harvard on an Academic scholarship. Seriously who in the NBA can be pointed to as a potential role model from an academic perspective? The large majority of these guys barely got through high school and never graduated college.

With sports having so many bad stories between criminal activity, marital infidelity, financial irresponsibility, and general bad behavior it's nice to hear a good story.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I don't think anybody thinks his race isn't a factor. The problem with the statement by Floyd is that he believes it is the major, if not only factor in all the buzz. That is simply racist. Let me illustrate.

Larry Bird only gets buzz because he's white.

Jackie Robinson only gets hyped because he's black.

Obama only got voted in because he's black.

These are akin to the statements made by Floyd and they are ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is, that he is playing at an extremely high level and doing amazing things for anybody. Not to mention his story. Everybody knows the details about where he came from basketball wise so they don't bear repeating.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:

Of all people.. why would an african american want to disparage a mans accomplishments based on his race?
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
Of all people.. why would an african american want to disparage a mans accomplishments based on his race?

Because he has proven himself a horrid individual with practically no redeeming qualities as a human being other than his skill in the ring.

By the way, he's a P#ssy in the ring anyway. Guy is constantly running. One punch and back off. Hardly any combos I swear. His work rate sucks.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:

LINK

Stern has to love Jeremy Lin. He's brought a new audience. I'm guessing the Asian community viewers has at least doubled.
Quote:
In just one week, Lin has become a basketball and cultural phenomenon. People who never cared about the NBA are paying attention.

What Lin means to the Asian-American community and its NBA fan base cannot be understated. Danny Chau, an Asian-American basketball blogger at Hardwood Paroxysm, put it best in his post, "What I See In Jeremy Lin."

He's a new commodity that's bringing attention to the game and that's money.

For what ever reason Lin's good for the game of basketball.

Side note: Read Danny Chau's imbedded article.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
This is also a kid who went to Harvard on an Academic scholarship. Seriously who in the NBA can be pointed to as a potential role model from an academic perspective?

Quite a few actually. Start with the players who went to Duke, and then work your way down to other schools that require their athletes to be solid students. They aren't all dummies.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LINK

Stern has to love Jeremy Lin. He's brought a new audience. I'm guessing the Asian community viewers has at least doubled.
Quote:
In just one week, Lin has become a basketball and cultural phenomenon. People who never cared about the NBA are paying attention.

What Lin means to the Asian-American community and its NBA fan base cannot be understated. Danny Chau, an Asian-American basketball blogger at Hardwood Paroxysm, put it best in his post, "What I See In Jeremy Lin."

He's a new commodity that's bringing attention to the game and that's money.

For what ever reason Lin's good for the game of basketball.

Side note: Read Danny Chau's imbedded article.

I bet Stern and the NBA owners are loving this...Arenas that used to be half filled when the Knicks came to town are now hot tickets for out of town visitors. Especially ones from Asia who might be spending money on hotels, restaurants and other accommodations. Plus he basically brought back general interest from the public in Asia when Yao retired. Sure there are still lots of Kobe fans in Asia, but some people who don't have an general interest in basketball over there will now pay attention once again.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
This is also a kid who went to Harvard on an Academic scholarship. Seriously who in the NBA can be pointed to as a potential role model from an academic perspective?

Quite a few actually. Start with the players who went to Duke, and then work your way down to other schools that require their athletes to be solid students. They aren't all dummies.

If he was going to be paying tuition after UCLA/Stanford turned him down, he may as well pay for an Ivy League education at Harvard (no scholarship offered either). While Duke and Stanford are not in the Ivy League, they're up there academically with the best in the nation, Shane Battier, Grant Hill (father went to Yale), Mark Madsen, and Landry Fields seem to stand out.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject:

Most of the hype surrounding Lin comes from the fact that he's pretty damn good. There was very little hype when Yuta Tabuse became the first Asian guard to play in the NBA, because he sucked.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers: At this point you've gone so far out of your way to ignore the circumstances of what has made this such a remarkable story, including snipping the quotes out of posts, that I can't tell if you know you're licked and don't want to admit it or if your issues with race run deeper than originally thought. I'm not sure how much more mileage this conversation can have when you refuse to respond to the thesis of what I'm trying to say, going as far as to eliminating my quotes when responding. I'm also less than enthused moving forward if the crux of your argument seems to be "it's his race cuz I said so. It's obvious. You're naive. It's his race. I mean I can't back it up in any real way, but it's his race. I swear."

Most people understand this story, even if you don't. Lin's teammate Tyson Chandler described it last night:

Quote:
“It’s one thing if this is Kyrie Irving,” Chandler said. “Or John Wall. There’s expectations. Coming in, you think, ‘Wow, this kid is going to be special.’ You don’t see this coming. Undrafted, gets cut from Golden State, cut in [Houston], and probably days away from being cut by the New York Knicks. And then all of a sudden … ”

Most of my friends aren't into sports, so some have been asking me about Lin because they know I'm a big NBA fan. I'm able to describe why it's a big story without mentioning that Lin is Asian, and they get it. I'm sad for you that you don't. You should check out Adrian Wojnarowski's column this morning on last night's game and Linsanity in general. Lin's race is mentioned 0 times.

LINK
WITH ALL THAT said. the biggest part of the story is because he's asian.

ask most asians. they will say the same. ireland and co. were on 710 the other day asking the same question. they had nothing but asian callers. and guess what their response was? 90% is because the guy is ASIAN. this is what you heard straight from the asian commutties mouth, american born asians, and non american born asians. they asked chinese, taiwanese, koreans, and filipinos. same answer they all agreed that the hype was 90% due to him being asian.

ASIAN=smart guy=harvard= non baller
Asian= (usually- shorter then nba players)= can't make it in the nba. though he's 6'3 listed. lol.

Asian decent, american born.-thats a combo the nba has never seen.

All the asians in america and outside of america are rooting for this kid.

the fact he's asian and there are no under 6'10 asians in the nba. means he's going to be looked at as a person who cant play. if he was a small 6'2 black guy. people would assume he probably could play. why? because the nba is made up of mostly black guys.

so basically he's the underdog because he's ASIAN.

sleeping on his brothers couch is the icing on the cake. the fact that he's playing for the KNICKS is the icing on the cake. the fact that the knicks are winning games now, is more icing on the cake. the fact that he's putting up crazy numbers to boot is about 9% of the reason for the hype.
90% asian, 9% production, 1% icing stuff above.

if he was playing for the bucks. and he was balling. it would be for the same reasons. and he would still be a household name.

now is that why mayweather said something? NO. mayweather has a big mouth. and likes to stir the pot. and bam he got us talking about it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: