Mayweather on Lin: "All the hype is because he's Asian"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MvP24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2009
Posts: 824
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Mayweather on Lin: "All the hype is because he's Asian"

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather is not going all Lin.

The outspoken boxer who once told rival Manny Pacquiao, a Filipino, to "make some sushi rolls and cook some rice" has retained the title of heavyweight champion of insensitivity by claiming New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is getting national attention for his race rather than his game.

"Jeremy Lin is a good player," Mayweather tweeted Monday, "but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."

Black players outscore Kobe Bryant every night? Black players who went undrafted rack up at least 20 points and seven assists in each of their first four career starts? Black players go from D-League DNPs to leading the Knicks to five straight wins?

Yes, Lin being Asian is a big part of the story. He's the first American-born player of Taiwanese or Chinese descent to play in the NBA. That's different, and therefore newsworthy. There would probably also be a lot of hype if, say, a black golfer came out of Stanford and started winning golf majors. Or if, just hypothetically, two black sisters from Compton dominated the world of tennis.

But "Money" probably never thought of that.

Mayweather's comments are ignorant, but what's also disturbing is that there really aren't too many Asian voices to shout bigotry down. Jason Whitlock should have been fired for his awful joke about Lin's anatomy, but don't look for that to happen. What Floyd said isn't nearly as bad, but clearly the half-baked theories that demean Asian-Americans in this country are not as curtailed or chided as they should be. That's in part because there haven't been too many Asian voices in sports media. There haven't been too many respected Asian coaches in the major sports. And let's face it, there haven't been too many outspoken Asian superstars anywhere in American pop culture. Pacquiao, ironically, is one of the most celebrated Asian athletes of our time.

Maybe at some point he'll have a chance to reply to Floyd with his fists.


Source
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAKERSCMXCIX
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 16063

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:

obviously mayweather never heard of lebron james when he was drafted.

in any case... Floyd is an idiot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 35613

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Floyd was sitting at his computer and thinking, "Hmm I haven't reminded anyone lately that I'm a gigantic prick. To the Twitter feed!"

If Floyd wants to make a list of undrafted black players who were cut by multiple teams before going on a scoring tear like this I'd love to read it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jim93
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Apr 2009
Posts: 3661

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayweather on Lin: "All the hype is because he's Asian"

MvP24 wrote:
Quote:
Floyd Mayweather is not going all Lin.

The outspoken boxer who once told rival Manny Pacquiao, a Filipino, to "make some sushi rolls and cook some rice" has retained the title of heavyweight champion of insensitivity by claiming New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is getting national attention for his race rather than his game.

"Jeremy Lin is a good player," Mayweather tweeted Monday, "but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."

Black players outscore Kobe Bryant every night? Black players who went undrafted rack up at least 20 points and seven assists in each of their first four career starts? Black players go from D-League DNPs to leading the Knicks to five straight wins?

Yes, Lin being Asian is a big part of the story. He's the first American-born player of Taiwanese or Chinese descent to play in the NBA. That's different, and therefore newsworthy. There would probably also be a lot of hype if, say, a black golfer came out of Stanford and started winning golf majors. Or if, just hypothetically, two black sisters from Compton dominated the world of tennis.

But "Money" probably never thought of that.

Mayweather's comments are ignorant, but what's also disturbing is that there really aren't too many Asian voices to shout bigotry down. Jason Whitlock should have been fired for his awful joke about Lin's anatomy, but don't look for that to happen. What Floyd said isn't nearly as bad, but clearly the half-baked theories that demean Asian-Americans in this country are not as curtailed or chided as they should be. That's in part because there haven't been too many Asian voices in sports media. There haven't been too many respected Asian coaches in the major sports. And let's face it, there haven't been too many outspoken Asian superstars anywhere in American pop culture. Pacquiao, ironically, is one of the most celebrated Asian athletes of our time.

Maybe at some point he'll have a chance to reply to Floyd with his fists.


Source



Other thread did it
Lin Thread
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 2698
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Best response I've read came from this guy:

https://twitter.com/#!/Coach_D_Antoni/status/169306105825083393

"@Coach_D_Antoni
Floyd Mayweather thinks Jeremy Lin is overrated, which is funny because Jeremy Lin has managed to be undefeated without ducking anybody."

Of course this isn't the real Coach D'Antoni but it's funny nonetheless.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAKERSCMXCIX
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 16063

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Floyd was sitting at his computer and thinking, "Hmm I haven't reminded anyone lately that I'm a gigantic prick. To the Twitter feed!"

If Floyd wants to make a list of undrafted black players who were cut by multiple teams before going on a scoring tear like this I'd love to read it.


exactly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 13029
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Race does play a part in it ..... it's apart of the story. If it was Jeremy Jones, we wouldn't see Taiwanese Flags in the stands. When you really look at it, it's not like Floyd is lying to a certain extent. I think the Lin story is awesome and race is like the icing on the cake. It's just like when Jason Williams burst on the scene. A flashy, country, West Virginia white kid who had style, savvy and flash. Next thing you know, he leading the league in jersey sales and most people couldn't find Sacramento on a map.

I also think the fact that size plays a huge part in it as well. Yao is a big dude. Many already knew he would pan out and he did. Lin and Williams were closer to us in many ways. The smallest guy on the court doing the damn thing. It sad that you can't just look at a player for his skills without looking at his skin tone.

Hell, golf didn't get the attention it has because of the current guys on the tour. It shot to meteoric proportions because a cat of Thai and African-American decent dominated a sport with a brutal history involving race. I think if Tiger was a white guy, golf wouldn't have the numbers they would especially when he's in the hunt. Before Tiger, most black folks I know, my family included, weren't even paying any attention to golf. Soon as Eldrick got on the scene, Saturdays and Sunday (especially after church) were an event.

Just the way of the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 15437

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject:

He's actually right. I'd say it's 90% race, 9% New York, and 1% actual play. Look at Monta Ellis, he gets nowhere near the hype, though he dropped 48 points on the NBA leading Thunder the other night. Give Lin credit for his play, but let's be honest, the hype machine is currently being driven by race, that's glaringly obvious. If it was a black player with the same Harvard history and same draft background and everything, he would be getting nowhere near the hype.

But it's not a problem for me. I've been on the Lin bandwagon ever since it started. #Linning!
_________________
A banana is killed every time a terrible thread or post is made. Save the bananas. Stop creating terrible posts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Apr 2001
Posts: 25928
Location: out there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Ocho.. "That guy" (Floyd Mayweather) is just a giant prick wanting his name in the headlines..

There has always got to be "That guy"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2001
Posts: 14485
Location: Winchester, California

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Floyd needs to deflect the fact that him and 50 cent are closet homos and rumors are out their they are butt buddies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 13388

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
He's actually right. I'd say it's 90% race, 9% New York, and 1% actual play. Look at Monta Ellis, he gets nowhere near the hype, though he dropped 48 points on the NBA leading Thunder the other night. Give Lin credit for his play, but let's be honest, the hype machine is currently being driven by race, that's glaringly obvious. If it was a black player with the same Harvard history and same draft background and everything, he would be getting nowhere near the hype.

But it's not a problem for me. I've been on the Lin bandwagon ever since it started. #Linning!


It's a part but not 90%., Maybe to you it is.

There's also the Harvard thing.

There's the cut by two teams thing.

There's the almost got cut again by NY thing.

There's the undrafted thing.

There's the living on his brother's couch thing.

It's an underdog story. The asian thing is just the icing like doughboy said.

Everyone loves an underdog. EVERYONE.

If he was a black dude from a basketball nowheresville like Cal Poly Pomona that was eating Ramen to get by and came out of nowhere, I GUARANTEE the story would be huge. The asian crowd that's creaming over themselves might not be around but that's only a fraction of the people jumping all over this storyline.

The biggest factor is that it's just a ridiculous underdog makes it story. They make MOVIES with more believable plots than what's playing out.


Last edited by jonnybravo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 13029
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Race in sports can be a good thing. Can also really suck asscakes. The fact that Lin was the California Player of the Year in high school in 2006, yet most major Division I schools passed on the kid is very suspect. UCLA had no problem signing Russell Westbrook but asked the Lin to "walk-on."

That's crazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 12828

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Jackie Robinson only got the hype he got because he was black.
_________________
Think about how stupid the avg. person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

---George Carlin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2275

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Race definitely plays a part, but I'm pretty sure the story would still be huge if it were a black, white, or whatever player. For one thing, it really is an amazing fairy tale story. For another thing, it's NY, where they hype everything ridiculously despite the franchise being a joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 35613

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
He's actually right. I'd say it's 90% race, 9% New York, and 1% actual play. Look at Monta Ellis, he gets nowhere near the hype, though he dropped 48 points on the NBA leading Thunder the other night.


It's a genuine shame that guys like you and Floyd are so consumed with Lin's race that you've missed entirely why this is a story in the first place.

Are you aware of Wang Zhizi? He played from 2000-2005. Remember him getting as much attention as Lin? How about Sun Yue, who played for us? What about Ha Seung-Jin? How about Yi Jianlian, who has played in the league since 07 and currently plays for Dallas? Asian people playing in the NBA is hardly a new phenomenon or a novelty act. The reason the Lin story is getting so much attention is because he was undrafted, cut by two teams, and he was about to be cut by his current team before he scored more points in his first couple starts than any player in history has. This is a big story because IT NEVER HAPPENS. Only in sports movies. Hell, most DRAFTED players never amount to anything. Can you name another undrafted player who went on to have success like this? Who was cut by multiple teams? There have been a number of undrafted players to go on and have success in the league (Ben Wallace comes to mind), but they've been role players. Lin is showing flashes of actual star potential. It doesn't help that his game is really fun to watch. Your failure to understand this story because all you see is his race is not a problem everyone has, and your assumptions aren't "obvious" to anyone who has been paying attention.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 15437

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
He's actually right. I'd say it's 90% race, 9% New York, and 1% actual play. Look at Monta Ellis, he gets nowhere near the hype, though he dropped 48 points on the NBA leading Thunder the other night.


It's a genuine shame that guys like you and Floyd are so consumed with Lin's race that you've missed entirely why this is a story in the first place.

Are you aware of Wang Zhizi? He played from 2000-2005. Remember him getting as much attention as Lin? How about Sun Yue, who played for us? What about Ha Seung-Jin? How about Yi Jianlian, who has played in the league since 07 and currently plays for Dallas? Asian people playing in the NBA is hardly a new phenomenon or a novelty act. The reason the Lin story is getting so much attention is because he was undrafted, cut by two teams, and he was about to be cut by his current team before he scored more points in his first couple starts than any player in history has. This is a big story because IT NEVER HAPPENS. Only in sports movies. Hell, most DRAFTED players never amount to anything. Can you name another undrafted player who went on to have success like this? Who was cut by multiple teams? There have been a number of undrafted players to go on and have success in the league (Ben Wallace comes to mind), but they've been role players. Lin is showing flashes of actual star potential. It doesn't help that his game is really fun to watch. Your failure to understand this story because all you see is his race is not a problem everyone has, and your assumptions aren't "obvious" to anyone who has been paying attention.


You have no idea what you're talking about. Your post was filled with more assumptions about me than I can count.

First off, You are incredibly naive to think that he'd be receiving this much hype if he wasn't Asian. His play has a lot to do with it, but he's not doing anything that hasn't been done before. I give him credit, but don't fool yourself into thinking that race isn't driving the hype machine. Players have literally came from poverty, and became stars in the NBA, doesn't become a big story. If you swapped him with a black dude(where everything else was exactly the same), he wouldn't be receiving anywhere near the hype.

Secondly, all I see is race? Really? How did you arrive to that conclusion? I'm on the Lin bandwagon just as much as the next guy, but I'm not blind to the point where I can't see it for what it is. I give credit to his great play, but if you're asking me what's driving the hype train, I'll be real, it's clearly race. Keep your blinders on keep thinking it's about his background. He's not a poor kid who was raised in the projects of Watts, surrounded by gangs and thugs, raised by a deadbeat dad and a drunk for a mother. I respect him for overcoming his circumstances, but get real.

Now, race driving the hype train isn't a bad thing. Why does it have to be bad? He's an Asian-American NBA player, in a league that doesn't have any. He can be Jackie Robinson-super-lite, not just paving the way for other players of his ethnicity, but changing the way teams evaluate players, people like him that were looked over and never really given a chance. Not just in the NBA, but the NFL and MLB, all major sports. Stop being offended by people stating the obvious. It's not actually a bad thing at all.
_________________
A banana is killed every time a terrible thread or post is made. Save the bananas. Stop creating terrible posts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 23192

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
He's actually right. I'd say it's 90% race, 9% New York, and 1% actual play. Look at Monta Ellis, he gets nowhere near the hype, though he dropped 48 points on the NBA leading Thunder the other night.


It's a genuine shame that guys like you and Floyd are so consumed with Lin's race that you've missed entirely why this is a story in the first place.

Are you aware of Wang Zhizi? He played from 2000-2005. Remember him getting as much attention as Lin? How about Sun Yue, who played for us? What about Ha Seung-Jin? How about Yi Jianlian, who has played in the league since 07 and currently plays for Dallas? Asian people playing in the NBA is hardly a new phenomenon or a novelty act. The reason the Lin story is getting so much attention is because he was undrafted, cut by two teams, and he was about to be cut by his current team before he scored more points in his first couple starts than any player in history has. This is a big story because IT NEVER HAPPENS. Only in sports movies. Hell, most DRAFTED players never amount to anything. Can you name another undrafted player who went on to have success like this? Who was cut by multiple teams? There have been a number of undrafted players to go on and have success in the league (Ben Wallace comes to mind), but they've been role players. Lin is showing flashes of actual star potential. It doesn't help that his game is really fun to watch. Your failure to understand this story because all you see is his race is not a problem everyone has, and your assumptions aren't "obvious" to anyone who has been paying attention.


You have no idea what you're talking about. Your post was filled with more assumptions about me than I can count.

First off, You are incredibly naive to think that he'd be receiving this much hype if he wasn't Asian. His play has a lot to do with it, but he's not doing anything that hasn't been done before. I give him credit, but don't fool yourself into thinking that race isn't driving the hype machine. Players have literally came from poverty, and became stars in the NBA, doesn't become a big story. If you swapped him with a black dude(where everything else was exactly the same), he wouldn't be receiving anywhere near the hype.

Secondly, all I see is race? Really? How did you arrive to that conclusion? I'm on the Lin bandwagon just as much as the next guy, but I'm not blind to the point where I can't see it for what it is. I give credit to his great play, but if you're asking me what's driving the hype train, I'll be real, it's clearly race. Keep your blinders on keep thinking it's about his background. He's not a poor kid who was raised in the projects of Watts, surrounded by gangs and thugs, raised by a deadbeat dad and a drunk for a mother. I respect him for overcoming his circumstances, but get real.

Now, race driving the hype train isn't a bad thing. Why does it have to be bad? He's an Asian-American NBA player, in a league that doesn't have any. He can be Jackie Robinson-super-lite, not just paving the way for other players of his ethnicity, but changing the way teams evaluate players, people like him that were looked over and never really given a chance. Not just in the NBA, but the NFL and MLB, all major sports. Stop being offended by people stating the obvious. It's not actually a bad thing at all.


Complaining about 1 Asian dude in a sport that is Black dominance.

Who in this league that is in his rookie, first time playing any NBA games, can do what Lin does in this stretch and only for 800k?

Don't make up stuff that you can't prove. Name me a few please?

Kobe and MJ are praised like Gods in Asian. And yet none Black players are praised the same?

Such shameful, ignorant statement.

Black players in NBA are paid millions.

Floyd fears that the Asians are taking over Black jobs or something? Or Blacks players should get more attention because, if not, it is due to other races are racist against the Black? Whatever his bs meaning is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 8836

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject:

LMAO at Floyd Mayweather. Guy is a grade A idiot and prick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2002
Posts: 2656
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Suck it Mayweather!

Lin just sank a game winning 3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 20723

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
Best response I've read came from this guy:

https://twitter.com/#!/Coach_D_Antoni/status/169306105825083393

"@Coach_D_Antoni
Floyd Mayweather thinks Jeremy Lin is overrated, which is funny because Jeremy Lin has managed to be undefeated without ducking anybody."

Of course this isn't the real Coach D'Antoni but it's funny nonetheless.





Floyd is everything that's BAD in sports.
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2002
Posts: 2656
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject:

He also had the game tying And-1 conversion over Amir Johnson right before that. I want Jeremy Lin to be the best basketball player ever just to put it in Floyd's face.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 20723

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Obama won because he was black too?


_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SemperMalum
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 597

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
He also had the game tying And-1 conversion over Amir Johnson right before that. I want Jeremy Lin to be the best basketball player ever just to put it in Floyd's face.


And the Game-winner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 16832

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Mayweather such a joke. And I hope he's going to fight Pacquiao. So Pac-man can beat the sh1t outtttt of him.
_________________
You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 35613

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, I didn't think it was possible to literally ignore every single point I made in my previous post and not answer a single question asked. Well done?

USCandLakers wrote:

First off, You are incredibly naive to think that he'd be receiving this much hype if he wasn't Asian. His play has a lot to do with it, but he's not doing anything that hasn't been done before.


You mean like scoring more points in his first three starts than any other player EVER?? The record for most points held in their first three starts is held by Jeremy Lin. Not Michael Jordan. Not Kobe Bryant. Not LeBron James. A guy who was about 24 hours away from his 3rd pink slip in 2 years, who only started because of injuries to other players. You honestly don't think that's why this is a big deal? What do you see when this happens? That he's Asian. By the way, he very well could have expanded that record, but I was unable to find the stat now that he's started more games.

USCandLakers wrote:
I give him credit, but don't fool yourself into thinking that race isn't driving the hype machine. Players have literally came from poverty, and became stars in the NBA, doesn't become a big story. If you swapped him with a black dude(where everything else was exactly the same), he wouldn't be receiving anywhere near the hype.


Ah now this is a dodge that would possibly trip up a 3rd grade debate club participant. Nobody has said Lin comes from poverty, or used his upbringing as a reason for giving him national media attention. Nobody has focused on his upbringing at all because....his upbringing isn't the story here. You just want to make it about that because it feeds into your argument that the only thing that matters here is race, race, race. This isn't about his upbringing, or his race.

USCandLakers wrote:
Secondly, all I see is race? Really? How did you arrive to that conclusion?


The fact that you cited it as the driving force behind a story that has nothing to do with race.

USCandLakers wrote:
I give credit to his great play, but if you're asking me what's driving the hype train, I'll be real, it's clearly race. Keep your blinders on keep thinking it's about his background. He's not a poor kid who was raised in the projects of Watts, surrounded by gangs and thugs, raised by a deadbeat dad and a drunk for a mother. I respect him for overcoming his circumstances, but get real.


At this point I can't tell if you're seriously just not familiar with the Lin story at all. You keep thinking it's about his childhood, and the connections to his race. It has absolutely nothing to do with any of that. It's the story of a guy who was facing his third cut in two years, who only got a shot because of injuries, and actually scored more than any star in NBA history.

USCandLakers wrote:
Now, race driving the hype train isn't a bad thing. Why does it have to be bad? He's an Asian-American NBA player, in a league that doesn't have any. He can be Jackie Robinson-super-lite, not just paving the way for other players of his ethnicity, but changing the way teams evaluate players, people like him that were looked over and never really given a chance. Not just in the NBA, but the NFL and MLB, all major sports. Stop being offended by people stating the obvious. It's not actually a bad thing at all.


Ahh, this is the portion where you've spent the entire time talking about his race...but it's a good thing! I do give you credit for not including "I have tons of Asian friends!" in that sentence

By the way, Lin had 27 points, 11 assists, and the game winning 3 tonight after leading his team from 12 behind in the 4th quarter. Since this is nothing that hasn't been done before, can you please provide us with a list of players who were cut twice in two years who put up these numbers? Should be easy. Happens all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB