Can Dallas dump Marion's contract?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Can Dallas dump Marion's contract?

Obviously if they dump Marion, it hurts their chances to win this year, but their chances probably aren't all that great to begin with. However, if they can find a way to dump his contract, or the majority of it, I think it pretty much makes them a lock for both Williams and Howard in the offseason. I think it's obvious they want to play together no matter what, Williams is from Dallas, Cuban would pamper the hell out of Howard and kiss his ass (which is really what he wants,) and they get to play in the WC where they don't have Chicago and Miami in their way.

Would any team be willing to take on Marion's 18 million over the next two years and do Dallas a gigantic favor?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject:

They always have the option to amnesty as well. Amnesty doesn't count against the salary cap in this CBA's version.

They can amnesty Haywood and looking at hoopshype's salaries breakdown (they are not always accurate) Dallas is at 41.4 M or so for next season.

Amnesty Haywood, buy out Lamar, that's around 6 M cut there. Then you have like Rod Beaubois and Jones as cheap rookie K's that can easily be traded since most teams would like to have players like that for bench depth and upside.

Dallas realistically even without Marion trade can get down to 32-33 M. They will have space and once Orlando/Jersey realize that Williams/Howard are gone, they may even be willing to do S+Ts. There should be 25-27 M there to split between Howard/Williams. And Howard/Williams may be willing to take a little less to play with Dirk and play in William's home town of Dallas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I was making the assumption that they would be using amnesty on Haywood because his deal is much longer.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Dallas dump Marion's contract?

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Would any team be willing to take on Marion's 18 million over the next two years and do Dallas a gigantic favor?

Hard to imagine many teams want a 12-6-1 SF who makes $9 million a year. If he was a free agent, he wouldn't get more than MLE. He's on the downside of his career
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject:

that's the dillema for dallas.

they'll want to clear either marion or haywood off the payroll, but also not hurt their curren't team's chances (at least not substancialy).

very tricky to accomplish - especially when you have no 1st rd pick.

if/when they try to make this happen, they'll try to attache beabois to marion to make the package more attractive, but i'm still not sure if they can get it done.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
They always have the option to amnesty as well. Amnesty doesn't count against the salary cap in this CBA's version.

They can amnesty Haywood and looking at hoopshype's salaries breakdown (they are not always accurate) Dallas is at 41.4 M or so for next season.

Amnesty Haywood, buy out Lamar, that's around 6 M cut there. Then you have like Rod Beaubois and Jones as cheap rookie K's that can easily be traded since most teams would like to have players like that for bench depth and upside.

Dallas realistically even without Marion trade can get down to 32-33 M. They will have space and once Orlando/Jersey realize that Williams/Howard are gone, they may even be willing to do S+Ts. There should be 25-27 M there to split between Howard/Williams. And Howard/Williams may be willing to take a little less to play with Dirk and play in William's home town of Dallas.

You don't even need to buy out Lamar. They just won't exercise his option as it's a team option.

Welcome back to LA Lamar!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:

His contract has a 2.5 M or something like that buy out/guarantee clause that means if they don't pick up the option they still gotta pay him that amount.

The 4th year was only partially guaranteed. But the amount that is partially guaranteed, well that amount will count against the cap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Unless Dwight and Deron both take pay-cuts, they wont be able to get them both. I don't see anyone taking Marion.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject:

I'd take Marion + Beaubois for Luke and Blake right now. They'd fill in our gaps quite nicely. If we're not getting an All-Star PG and/or Howard, then why not try to win now, this year, with Gasol and Bynum?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I'd take Marion + Beaubois for Luke and Blake right now. They'd fill in our gaps quite nicely. If we're not getting an All-Star PG and/or Howard, then why not try to win now, this year, with Gasol and Bynum?

Why would Dallas do that?
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
His contract has a 2.5 M or something like that buy out/guarantee clause that means if they don't pick up the option they still gotta pay him that amount.

The 4th year was only partially guaranteed. But the amount that is partially guaranteed, well that amount will count against the cap.

dont' think it's "incidental" that lamar has a 2.5 mil guarenteed amount.

i think the lakers' thinking the whole time when giving him that contract, was that if necessary - they'll be able to trade him to a cap team in the offseason along with 3 mil in cash and some pick - and clear him off the payroll altogether.

i'd be surprized if that's not dallas' plan for lamar.

there'll be teams out there that will not use up their cap space, and would like to get 2.5 mil closer to the league min requirement in exchange for 500k in profit and some sort of draft considerations.

i'd put the hornets on top of that list.

*not to mention - it's not inconcievable that if lamar's play gets just a little more stable, that some cap team out there (or a team with the right size tpe) would actually agree to take him on for 1 year and keep him.

i think the mavs will be able to drop the comittment to odom one way or another.
marion will be the trickier one.
they may even have to settle on taking back less long term money for him rather than get him completely off their cap, although you know they will not hesitate to trade as many future picks as possible in exchange for what should be a good chance at a dynasty.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject:

If the Hornets ended up trading for Lamar, I think the irony just may make my head explode.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Why would Dallas do that?

Paying us back for gifting them LO.
shaqobe2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Dallas dump Marion's contract?

activeverb wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Hard to imagine many teams want a 12-6-1 SF who makes $9 million a year. If he was a free agent, he wouldn't get more than MLE. He's on the downside of his career

you serious? 9 mil/year for the production you described is actually a bargain in today's NBA, don't underestimate his defense skills too. but Marion's age will drive teams away.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: