Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/kobe_says_fire_lin_doubters_JG8lCqeWiGuVJ1w5C2EMOO#ixzz1p13yb2aS

Quote:
It’s a good thing Kobe Bryant doesn’t own the Warriors or Rockets. He would be looking to fire the front office for giving up on Jeremy Lin after their close-up looks.

The Lakers star, one of the early victims of Linsanity, said the fairy tale is as much about the ineptitude of some league executives as it is Lin’s meteoric rise to an All-Star caliber point guard.

“The biggest thing to me is how everybody missed it,’’ Bryant said yesterday before the All-Star Game’s practice session. “They all would be fired if I was owning a team. I hear this stuff, ‘It came out of nowhere.’ I think it’s a load of [garbage]. You can’t play that well and just come out of nowhere. There has to be something there and everybody missed it. So heads would roll [if I was owner].’’

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject:

Uh... check the date.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject:

So does this mean Kobe would hire me and the 2 or 3 other LGers that liked Lin during the draft?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Uh... check the date.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject:

chickenstew
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject:

... what have you done for me lately ?
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject:

Actually the Rockets GM claims part of the reason he did the CP3/Gasol trade was to get rid of Drag... so he could keep Lin... he claims he knew Lin had potential... but post veto they had Flynn, Drag, and Lowry... so he became expendable.

I sort of believe him in that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject:

Hey I haven't heard about this yet.

Anyway, does that also mean that Kobe would fire GM's that saw talent in guys like Smush or Kwame?

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Hey I haven't heard about this yet.

Anyway, does that also mean that Kobe would fire GM's that saw talent in guys like Smush or Kwame?

If referring to my post... it was on the BS report (simmons) when he interviewed the Rockets GM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:

I guess Kobe would fire Mitch for preferring Sean May over Bynum.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:

Oh wait! Kobe would have to fire Kobe! Kobe wanted to "ship his ass out."
Mamba3301
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:

This is from all-star weekend but I loved his comment, taking a shot at the Lakers for passing on Jeremy Lin. Hah.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:

I've seen people taking this quote out of context all the time. Didn't Kobe mean to say when a player of Jason Kidd 's caliber came along , it was a no-brainer to "ship his ass out (for kidd)". Looking back it wasn't a bad trade after all considering Bynum didn't really contribute much to the last two championship runs. With the addtion of Kidd, they might have won another last season.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject:

Mamba3301 wrote:
This is from all-star weekend but I loved his comment, taking a shot at the Lakers for passing on Jeremy Lin. Hah.

I think he was taking a shot at the other teams that actually had him on their squads, not Lakers.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin

Clark Kent wrote:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/kobe_says_fire_lin_doubters_JG8lCqeWiGuVJ1w5C2EMOO#ixzz1p13yb2aS

Quote:
It’s a good thing Kobe Bryant doesn’t own the Warriors or Rockets. He would be looking to fire the front office for giving up on Jeremy Lin after their close-up looks.

The Lakers star, one of the early victims of Linsanity, said the fairy tale is as much about the ineptitude of some league executives as it is Lin’s meteoric rise to an All-Star caliber point guard.

“The biggest thing to me is how everybody missed it,’’ Bryant said yesterday before the All-Star Game’s practice session. “They all would be fired if I was owning a team. I hear this stuff, ‘It came out of nowhere.’ I think it’s a load of [garbage]. You can’t play that well and just come out of nowhere. There has to be something there and everybody missed it. So heads would roll [if I was owner].’’
i'm usually not with KB when he's on a tirade. but i'm with him on this one. heads would roll.

because there are only two reasons you passed on this guy assuming you dont have cp3 or dwill as your starting pg. and thats only if You truly couldnt see the talent. and if thats the case YOU SUCK as a person who talent evaluates talent. which means you need to lose your job.

or #2. you REFUSEd to see the talent since he was asian.

again, if you're only looking at stereotypes and not actual talent. then you should be fired.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:

What have we learned today? Hope Kobe is never your boss. Iron fist.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin

postandpivot wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:

Quote:

i'm usually not with KB when he's on a tirade. but i'm with him on this one. heads would roll.

because there are only two reasons you passed on this guy assuming you dont have cp3 or dwill as your starting pg. and thats only if You truly couldnt see the talent. and if thats the case YOU SUCK as a person who talent evaluates talent. which means you need to lose your job.

again, if you're only looking at stereotypes and not actual talent. then you should be fired.

Leave race out of it. Rockets have Lowry/Dragic. Proven starting PG and a PG that has shown he can do it as a backup in limited minutes. Lin can play but his numbers are inflated in a D'Antoni offense.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin

Clark Kent wrote:

Quote:

It's easy to say this when you're just a player with no responsibility to draft or select the roster. But then you look at all the All-Time 50 and Hall of Fame guys who go on to be coaches or GMs and just suck at it.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject:

kobester wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:

I've seen people taking this quote out of context all the time. Didn't Kobe mean to say when a player of Jason Kidd 's caliber came along , it was a no-brainer to "ship his ass out (for kidd)". Looking back it wasn't a bad trade after all considering Bynum didn't really contribute much to the last two championship runs. With the addtion of Kidd, they might have won another last season.

Even so, Kobe would have to fire himself for taking Kidd over Bynum.
Mamba3301
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:

Why is Bynum dragged into every thread? Ugh get a life.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin

OC Lakerfan wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:

Quote:

Leave race out of it. Rockets have Lowry/Dragic. Proven starting PG and a PG that has shown he can do it as a backup in limited minutes. Lin can play but his numbers are inflated in a D'Antoni offense.
numbers can be inflated. but the guy was putting up Zeus numbers in those games. that aint all d'an. thats here's the keys, drive the porche. dont wreck it. and not only did he not wreck it. he won darn near every street race by 3 car lengths. aint no way you didnt see that talent unless you are a BAD TALENT scout. OR you had race in your mind and figured "asian guy...nahhhh.. next"
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin

activeverb wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:

Quote:

It's easy to say this when you're just a player with no responsibility to draft or select the roster. But then you look at all the All-Time 50 and Hall of Fame guys who go on to be coaches or GMs and just suck at it.
but its different when you're a laker player. look at our greats. look at our history of putting together great teams and finding hall of famers. we do this like no other. so kobe being around this for his entire career has possibly made him into a different specimen.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe says he would Fire GMs that didn't see Talent like Jeremy Lin

postandpivot wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:

Quote:

numbers can be inflated. but the guy was putting up Zeus numbers in those games. that aint all d'an. thats here's the keys, drive the porche. dont wreck it. and not only did he not wreck it. he won darn near every street race by 3 car lengths. aint no way you didnt see that talent unless you are a BAD TALENT scout. OR you had race in your mind and figured "asian guy...nahhhh.. next"

Being an Asian American myself I disagree.

The Rockets he didn't get a chance. Before then? Perhaps he hadn't developed. Physically or mentally. I didn't see his practices so I don't know.

But me thinks you conspiracy theorist a bit too much, from referees, NBA, and now to asian guy neeeext.

If Morey didn't think he wasn't a worthy candidate because he was Asian, he would have never been on the team in the first place. Keep in mind, this is the same team that had Yao Ming? Ya dig?

New York was the perfect fit and time for him. They were struggling, players were hurt, and D'Antoni has a fast paced, up and down system. He didn't yank him at the first opportunity like other coaches would. How many coaches would yank a PG with a high amount of TOs?

Another example is out of college he was a very skinny, weak guy, his High School coach said it himself. I forgot what his exact weight was, but he definitely wasn't physically ready. That's one reason a lot of European Players are good in the International play against NBA players (other than the rules) and not as good over here in the U.S.. A lot of them do not have a NBA body and can handle the wear and tear of a long NBA season vs. much more physical players.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject:

Also Asian-American, and I think the bias angle is bit of a stretch and a half as well. Plenty of Asian players had shots in this league, some successful (Yao Ming), many unsuccessful (Yue Tabuse), and some just kind of in the middle (Yi Jianlan).
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject:

^ like your sig fifth. ha!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: