Would you trade Bynum and George for Artest?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade Bynum and George forArtest?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 34 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 59 ]
Total Votes : 93

JediRekal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Would you trade Bynum and George for Artest?

I would! I know Bynum has the "P" word, but still has about 3 years to develop. Kobe is not getting younger. Imagine a line-up of...

Mihm
Kwame
Odom
Kobe
Artest

Who the hell is Tony Parker or Steve Nash gonna guard?
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Artest, Lakers fined by NBA for comments
December 15, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Ron Artest's trade request will cost him $10,000, and the NBA also fined the Los Angeles Lakers $25,000 Thursday for coach Phil Jackson's comments about Toronto forward Chris Bosh.

Artest was penalized for "making public statements detrimental to the NBA." He expressed his desire to be traded from the Indiana Pacers in a Dec. 11 story in the Indianapolis Star, and said he wanted to play for either the New York Knicks or Cleveland Cavaliers.

LINK
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

It's almost like asking, before the draft this year...

"Ok kids, you each have your favorite. Some like Charlie V,
some like Granger, some of you like Bynum, etc...
How about if I told you we can send our #10 pick, Devean
George and Miami's (likely very low) draft pick for next-
year's watered-down no-high-schoolers draft for Ron Artest???"

I have a feeling alot of us woulda been ok with that deal
just before the draft - and we pretty much knew how nutty
Artest was then too
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject:

this is one of thoes questions you should have a quick answer to. Problem is, I don't. I really, really, really, really don't want to see Bynum dealt. When it comes down to it, I wouldn't make it. I'd put together the best package I could that didn't involve Kobe or Bynum and dare Indy to find a better offer. Notice I didn't mention Odom. If Indy put the right package together (Foster, Granger, ect..) I honestly don't think Lamar is untouchable. Love his game and stats, but how much does Indy value him?
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
Artest, Lakers fined by NBA for comments
December 15, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Ron Artest's trade request will cost him $10,000, and the NBA also fined the Los Angeles Lakers $25,000 Thursday for coach Phil Jackson's comments about Toronto forward Chris Bosh.

Artest was penalized for "making public statements detrimental to the NBA." He expressed his desire to be traded from the Indiana Pacers in a Dec. 11 story in the Indianapolis Star, and said he wanted to play for either the New York Knicks or Cleveland Cavaliers.

LINK

Yeah we've all heard who he first said he wanted to play for.

Then we've all also heard that he said hours later that he was fine with playing for "any of the 29 other teams in the league," and just wants out of Indiana.

And the link you just posted already has an entire thread dedicated to it from earlier this morning, just so ya know.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
this is one of thoes questions you should have a quick answer to. Problem is, I don't. I really, really, really, really don't want to see Bynum dealt. When it comes down to it, I wouldn't make it. I'd put together the best package I could that didn't involve Kobe or Bynum and dare Indy to find a better offer. Notice I didn't mention Odom. If Indy put the right package together (Foster, Granger, ect..) I honestly don't think Lamar is untouchable. Love his game and stats, but how much does Indy value him?

Yeah I've said it before, but...

Kwame + Miami's 1st = Artest

Odom = Artest + Danny Granger

Odom = Artest

I'd rather keep Kobe (obviously), Odom and Bynum if at all possible.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
And the link you just posted already has an entire thread dedicated to it from earlier this morning, just so ya know.

Thanks!
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject:

I'll easily do the deal. Getting Artest without giving up any starters or bigmen in the regular rotation. Bynum is a strong talent, but with Artest we will contend NOW.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
I'll easily do the deal. Getting Artest without giving up any starters or bigmen in the regular rotation. Bynum is a strong talent, but with Artest we will contend NOW.

How do you fugire the team could contend? Who would guard the PFs? Who would guard Duncan, KG, Amare, etc.

People are getting carried away with Artest.

The more I think about it, the less I like the suggestions being made. People are seriously wanting to overpay for him.

SGH
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Charles wrote:

How do you fugire the team could contend? Who would guard the PFs? Who would guard Duncan, KG, Amare, etc.

People are getting carried away with Artest.

The more I think about it, the less I like the suggestions being made. People are seriously wanting to overpay for him.

SGH

Odom moves to PF. Simple as that. He played there last year and posted virtually identical numbers to what he's posting now - and if you noticed, he played PF a good part of our 5-1 road-trip.

Kwame's best value is his post-defense anyways. So if you have Mihm at center, Odom at PF and Kwame backing them both up depending on which is on the bench - you can guard the KG's and Duncan's of the league every bit as well as you can right now.

Artest would play SF, Kobe SG and Smush PG. Rotate in Sasha at the point, Luke and DG (if he's not part of the trade) at the 2 and 3.

I'm not sure I get why you're asking, "who would cover Duncan, KG, Amare" - when you quoted someone saying he wants to give up Bynum. Bynum doesn't get minutes at this point anyways - so we'd be able to guard opposing bigs just as well.

Still not saying I wanna send Bynum out, but not sure I get your question.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject:

This is only Bynum (totally unproven) and George (easily replacable) for Artest. Easy decision. Maybe the Lakers have a lot of faith in Bynum, but a lineup of Parker/Kobe/Artest/Odom/Kwame is easily a title contender. That's great defense 4 out of 5 positions. Kwame switches from 5 on offense to 4 on defense, and Odom guards the centers.

Based on what they did on the recent roadtrip adding Artest makes them a contender. And not just a contender this year but for at least the next 3 years, and possibly as long 6 or 7 years if they resign Artest and Odom. That's far more certain than taking a chance on Bynum.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:

This is only Bynum (totally unproven) and George (easily replacable) for Artest. Easy decision. Maybe the Lakers have a lot of faith in Bynum, but a lineup of Parker/Kobe/Artest/Odom/Kwame is easily a title contender. That's great defense 4 out of 5 positions. Kwame switches from 5 on offense to 4 on defense, and Odom guards the centers.

Based on what they did on the recent roadtrip adding Artest makes them a contender. And not just a contender this year but for at least the next 3 years, and possibly as long 6 or 7 years if they resign Artest and Odom. That's far more certain than taking a chance on Bynum.

Dude, Kwame is better to guard a center than Odom without a blink. Not to mention we'd still likely start Mihm, and use Kwame off the bench at backup C (and backup PF filling in for Odom in spots).

Kwame's last two games where he's played well have come as a backup center off the bench. And there's just no way you have Odom defend centers as your first option.

Still, as I said a couple posts ago, losing Bynum and DG isn't gonna hurt us against opposing bigs anytime soon.
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject:

No....Brown and Mihm? yes
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:

You would have to trade Bynum and George for Artest. With that lineup and perhaps Spree (to have the all attitude team), we can compete for the finals
showtimelakers04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Bynum wont be ready for at least another 3 or 4 years. I want to see us become title contenders ASAP. With artest, we will be 1 step closer
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject:

No, I'd rather see 15 years of Bynum than WCF exits in '07 and '08
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Dude, Kwame is better to guard a center than Odom without a blink. Not to mention we'd still likely start Mihm, and use Kwame off the bench at backup C (and backup PF filling in for Odom in spots).

The center spot in the contemporary National Basketball Association is beyond pathetic, from a quicks standpoint or skills standpoint. Easily the weakest it has ever been in the history of the league. The Suns have proven that recently with Boris Diaw able to guard centers for a weeks now because they're so incredibly inept. Certainly Odom could do it.

Quote:
Kwame's last two games where he's played well have come as a backup center off the bench. And there's just no way you have Odom defend centers as your first option.

Save for Yao Ming and Shaquille O'Neal, there's no reason to believe you can't have Odom switch onto centers for long stretches where Kwame has to guard PFs.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Oh, no doubt in my mind. I'd do George and Bynum for Artest.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

15 years of Elden Campbell would be OK then? Because Bynum may not be any better than Campbell, no one here knows otherwise. Artest on the other hand is a sure-thing.
the_natural05
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm torn about this. I don't wanna see Kobe's prime years being wasted with goals of the 7th or 8th seed, but Bynum is definitely something you don't want to regret later on. IDK man, I'd do it.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

15 years of Elden Campbell would be OK then? Because Bynum may not be any better than Campbell, no one here knows otherwise. Artest on the other hand is a sure-thing.

Actually, no one here knows that Artest won't quite on us.
No one here knows that Artest will subjugate his game the way Kobe does to run the Tri.
No one here knows we would make it out of the first round with Artest.
But we all have our own projections based on what we've seen.
lakerfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject:

That trade would never ever never happen. eva nevvvvvva
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject:

paraphrasing LakersRGolden wrote:
No, I'd rather have the potential of 15 years of Bynum than the logical likelihood of WCF exits in '07 and '08
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Actually, no one here knows that Artest won't quite on us.

Artest has never "quit" on a team in his life, so you can apply this to any player in the league.

Quote:
No one here knows that Artest will subjugate his game the way Kobe does to run the Tri.

True. Then again, we also didn't know if Kobe or Shaq could do the same thing before the 1999-2000 season. And, well, that turned out pretty well.

Quote:
No one here knows we would make it out of the first round with Artest.

I do. We will make it out of the first round with Artest. Unless we face the Spurs.

Quote:
But we all have our own projections based on what we've seen.

And based on what I've seen Mihm and Kwame haven't done anything noteworthy in their careers, so trading them for a DPOY who happens to also be able to score 18-20 ppg consistently is a pretty easy choice.
mitch&kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject:

Sure !!

But I will miss Geroge !!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: