Still want Artest?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you still want Artest after he slammed Magic?
No
50%
 50%  [ 46 ]
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 92

startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Still want Artest?

After he slammed Magic hard?
Do you believe this thin skinned man will be good here whie Magic is still a minority owner and a legend?

Obviously.... the answer is,,,
pick one that matters to you....

(If you're going to have a poll and you don't want it locked... then it needs to be a valid one. Edited for you. - JD)

Last edited by startrex on Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I cannot answer,there is no "YES" option.....

For role players,I would pull the trigger,for Lamar,Bynum,Kwame,and of course #8,no I would not.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Never did. Don't now. Never will.
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Tarzan008 wrote:
I cannot answer,there is no "YES" option.....

For role players,I would pull the trigger,for Lamar,Bynum,Kwame,and of course #8,no I would not.

Phil to Artest: "Please concentrate more on basketball than your rap career."

Artest to Phil:"Phil is an idiot. He knew I came here with lots of baggage."
LakersPlayoffBound
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Hey, you need to add a "YES" option.

I read the article. I really don't care what Artest said about Magic. It's Artest's basketball skills, especially on the defensive end, that I like.

Get a third team involved with Lakers and Pacers on this trade. Hold onto Odom, Mihm, and Kwame though.
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject:

LakersPlayoffBound wrote:

I read the article. I really don't care what Artest said about Magic. It's Artest's basketball skills, especially on the defensive end, that I like.

Get a third team involved with Lakers and Pacers on this trade. Hold onto Odom, Mihm, and Kwame though.

Wow...
Unless this "misunderstanding" is first resolved, no way Buss will want to trade for Artest. It will be a hard slap on Magic, his families, and the Lakers. We are so damn low cheap and totally desperate! We'd be the laughing stock of the league!
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:

How can you make a question with a poll with no yes answer? That would've been my answer.
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject:

startrex wrote:

Wow...
Unless this "misunderstanding" is first resolved, no way Buss will want to trade for Artest. It will be a hard slap on Magic, his families, and the Lakers. We are so damn low cheap and totally desperate! We'd be the laughing stock of the league!

It won't be a slap in the face. Magic is a grown-up and knows the NBA is a business. He wants the Lakers to win as badly as anyone and if Dr. Buss and Phil believe that Artest is the way to go, Magic will be onboard.

Believe it or not, deals aren't killed over things like this.
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:

WestCCa wrote:
startrex wrote:

Wow...

It won't be a slap in the face. Magic is a grown-up and knows the NBA is a business. He wants the Lakers to win as badly as anyone and if Dr. Buss and Phil believe that Artest is the way to go, Magic will be onboard.

EVEN IN BUSINESS WORLD, SOME MORAL ETCHICS APPLY.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:

We had Malone 2 years ago. You won't find a much bigger pos than him.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Even before the Magic thing, I didn't want Artest.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm not that concerned by what Artest said, necessarily. What bothers me is the fact that he doesn't learn. He says today that he realizes he shouldn't have demanded the trade the way he did, or knock the coach the way he did, but then he turns right around and says more stupid things to the media about an NBA legend.

He's not even here and there's already a discussion about Artest bashing a Laker - even if it's Magic. I think that answers those who say he'd be different here just because we're the Lakers. Honstly, is anyone home there? Does anyone else not see that the trend will not end with this guy? He is what he is and just doesn't seem to get it.

Also, for the poster who said he only cares about Artest's basketball skills, you're making yourself sound uninformed about the things that are key factors in winning basketball. Chemistry. Trust. Reliability. Accountability. Comraderie. Teamwork. It isn't just about the skills. Yes, the Laker won 3 titles during the whole Kobe-Shaq tension, but Artest isn't Shaq and his impact isn't Shaqlike to the extent that a team could succeed with that type of insanity going on. Not to mention the fact that Shaq at his worst, didn't pull the type of crap Artest does.

Those things do matter if you're seriously interested in winning a title. Heck, Reggie Miller was saying that the lack of those elements on the Pacers team, is a big part of why they couldn't and can't quite win enough.

It matters. Big time.
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Two thumbs up, Lakerjam.
Nobody denies Artest's skills and what he'd mean to the team.
But it's not all about skills. This guy has an IQ of 40 and still thinks he talks smart..
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject:

I voted yes, but if a trade includes getting rid of Kwame, I say no.

Magic is my favorite player of ALL-TIME, but even he isn't above being criticized. Artest is being himself and that is all I expect of him. I respect people who will not change who they are. Sure he needs to mature a little, but at least he is not fake.

For those that think that what Artest said is so unforgiveable, look no further than PJ and the old Bulls. Rodman used to try and HURT MJ and Pippen (along with Salley, Mahorn and the other goons). Did not stop PJ from signing Rodman for 3 titles and Salley with LA for one. Think about that...
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject:

BIG WHOOP!!!!!

ARTEST IS DOING JUST WHAT HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO DO..

He wants the team that is going to get him to know who he is and if they still want him, he will be happy...

I think that this is Ron reaching out to LAL..."will you love me even if I'm crazy??"

The answer remains to be seen...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Sure, I'll still take Crazy. But, it all depends on the price...
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
I voted yes, but if a trade includes getting rid of Kwame, I say no.

Magic is my favorite player of ALL-TIME, but even he isn't above being criticized. Artest is being himself and that is all I expect of him. I respect people who will not change who they are. Sure he needs to mature a little, but at least he is not fake.

For those that think that what Artest said is so unforgiveable, look no further than PJ and the old Bulls. Rodman used to try and HURT MJ and Pippen (along with Salley, Mahorn and the other goons). Did not stop PJ from signing Rodman for 3 titles and Salley with LA for one. Think about that...

It's not about those words being so unforgiveable, it's about the compilation of EVERYTHING HE SAYS AND DOES. You can't ignore all of that. You can't just stick your head in the sand and break it down individually so you can somehow justify or minimize it.

Artest is and has been a horrible cancer to every team he's been on. Each incident, I've found myself feeling bad for him and trying to make excuses, but this that he just did to an Indiana team that stood by him through more than most ever wood, a team that backed him, that refused to trade him in the summer because they believed in him when he said he had changed... to have him then turn around and screw them over like this, is disgusting. Sorry, but there is no scenario where that's okay. The fact that he has followed that up with an encore of more idiocy, only tells the world that the guy lashes out without any thought or regard, and that he isn't changing anytime soon.

We can't win basketball with that type of crap going on. You might not care about that, but many of do. A LOT.
the_natural05
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Yes I still want but will not give up Kwame.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam I care about the Lakers a lot more than you think. I based my argument on the fact that when the Bulls lost to Snaq and the Magic, when they needed a PF to go up against Horace Grant, who did they turn to? None other than Dennis Rodman. When in LA, and PJ needed a "backup" to Snaq with triangle experience, who did they call on? Another "Bad Boy" named Salley.

I agree with you on character / loyalty issues but we don't know what all went on in Indy -- at least I don't -- but the fact remains is I want to see LA win and if Artest can help with that, then I am cool with it. You may disagree with my post and that is your prerogative, but I stand by it.

If MJ and Scottie can forgive Rodman AND PJ can forgive Salley for what they collectively / purposely did to the Bulls, then Magic and the Laker brass can make a business decision and forgive Artest if need be...
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject:

i think ronnies value will go down even more now after this quote gets out. you dont talk about an NBA great like that. this guy is just an idiot and like Jam said up top, he just doesnt learn. just when you think he's turning the page and learning from his mistakes, he'll go out and make another stupid comment. and stop referring to yourself in the 3rd person you tool. i bet his IQ is hovering around 60.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Yes, but only if it doesn't cost us Kobe, Lamar, Kwame, Mihm, or AB.

If Magic did indeed say Artest didn't deserve a 2nd chance in the NBA, then he had it coming. Sorry Magic! NBA Legend or not, you don't mess with a guy's paycheck and not expect some repercussions.

It's never been clear what Magic's role is within the org, but I doubt Magic's hurt feelings would stand in the way if if Phil really pushed management to go after Artest.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Still want Artest?

startrex wrote:
After he slammed Magic hard?
Do you believe this thin skinned man will be good here whie Magic is still a minority owner and a legend?

Obviously.... the answer is,,,
pick one that matters to you....

(If you're going to have a poll and you don't want it locked... then it needs to be a valid one. Edited for you. - JD)

He didn't even slam him that hard. It's clear he felt slighted by Magic cuz
Johnson said he shouldn't be given another chance. Magic was just
making a point that he's made too many mistakes already to be making
more now - but told that by a reporter, Artest took offense and attacked
by actually making a LOGICAL point that Magic was in fact given a second
chance with his marriage.

Where Artest is wrong was that this isn't his "second" chance. It's more
like his 4th or 5th in alot of ways. And he was overreacting by thinking
Magic was calling him out for demanding a trade - while Magic called him
out because of his past otherwise, not cuz of the trade demand.

I doubt this does all that much in terms of Phil wanting or not wanting
Artest. I think he's pretty much as equal to end up here as he was before
(which still is less than probable). And we know the guy's a knucklehead.

Damned right I'd still want him on the team.
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
BIG WHOOP!!!!!

ARTEST IS DOING JUST WHAT HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO DO..

He wants the team that is going to get him to know who he is and if they still want him, he will be happy...

I think that this is Ron reaching out to LAL..."will you love me even if I'm crazy??"

The answer remains to be seen...

I'll say it again that applyying your own logic it must be Magic then who was reaching out to Ron saying "Will you love me now (come to Lakers) after I "slammed" you with "no second chance for you?"
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject:

startrex wrote:
WestCCa wrote:
startrex wrote:

Wow...

EVEN IN BUSINESS WORLD, SOME MORAL ETCHICS APPLY.

<sigh>

Man did you catch me at the wrong time.

I just finished my final on Philosophy 322: Business Ethics

You're right, every business has moral ethics of some type that apply to
them, but for the most part the concensus is that a different set of ethics
apply to "business decisions" than do to personal decisions. The Lakers
front office is well aware of this, as is any front office in the league.

It's the reason players who've brought a team championships and other
great success are shipped off as they get older, and it's the reason why
if Phil wanted Artest prior to his comments about Magic, they'll still want
him. He overreacted, but it's clear he was just being defensive and felt
Magic had attacked him first by saying Artest "doesn't deserve another
chance."

It's a business decision for Mitch and Phil. They aren't going to see the
comments about Magic as changing Artest from a 9 to a 10 on the nutty
scale - they're gonna say, "that's not much compared to what we already
know about him - if we were gonna look past the crazy before, we're
still gonna look past it."
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject:

yes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: