Should Kobe Have Played In The 4th Quarter????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Kobe Have Played In The 4th?
OF COURSE YES! Could have gotten 80-90!
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
NO! Let the youngsters play!
27%
 27%  [ 24 ]
NO! Kobe would have gotten injured (thank you Laron for taking his injury for Kobe :( We will retire your jersey :P)
19%
 19%  [ 17 ]
YES...he should have been put in just for kicks
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
I don't care...62 pts in 33 mins is the best basketball I've ever seen. Period.
34%
 34%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 87

OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Should Kobe Have Played In The 4th Quarter????

There has been some debate on "Should Kobe Have Played In The 4th?"

For one...Kobe probally would have gotten at least 75-80 points if he had played. He might have even broke 100 if he really tried

Thing is, even though Kobe scored 62...and he could have gotten more, I think it was fair to let the youngsters play. Plus, Profit got injured...that could have been Kobe (not likely...but still...you never know).

In all fairness...I would have LOVED TO SEE KOBE SCORE 80..but what I liked was seeing the youngsters who don't get PT being able to play major minutes.

Your thoughts?
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject:

lol @ the 3rd option
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject:

the second unit needs all the time together they can get. great accomplishment for kobe...great opportunity for the youngsters. laron

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:

I like how he did it.

Kobe showed the world he cares about winning first .

No need for him to play in garbage time like other players

His performance in 3 quarters is enough. 8)
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject:

I guess somebody has to say it...

Jackson was a buzzkill once again last night. Of course Kobe should have played for a few minutes in the fourth. The guy was having a transcendant night out there, a historical night.

Jackson should have put him in at the start of the fourth and told him "I can't leave you out there for long, this thing is a blow out. So you've got a few minutes. Go for it and have some fun." Then he could have let Kobe keep it rolling a little bit more and see if he still had the hot hand and taken him out when he saw fit to another rousing ovation.

But give Kobe his props, he's nothing if not shrewd. Jackson always likes to put the monkey on the back of his players. Kobe was very wise not to accept Jackson's invitation to go back into the game at the 9 minute mark of the fourth. Then it would have been on him, you know Jackson would have blabbed the conversation to the media and then they all would have blasted Kobe for being "selfish" blah blah blah. Kobe stuck the monkey right back on Phil and now Phil looks like the killjoy that he is, although of course the gutless LA media (they only pile on the easy targets) will never call him out on it. Maybe Simers will come thru.

The man was having a record night. Of course he should have been allowed to keep it going a little bit more. The fans deserved to see it too. If the opposition who were busy decapitating Kobe in the third period couldn't do anything to stop it that's their problem.

Regardless, it was a great night. Very happy for No. 8.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:

Actually Kobe prefer it this way, he likes the "what if" factor..
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject:

Hindsight is 20/20. Had he been in the 4th quarter, Laron doesn't get injured.

Back in the day, they would've kept Larry Bird or MJ in to see how many they'd score. I forget where the article is, but Bird mentioned that it had a lot to do with "Killer's mentality."

It was better in the old days. Nobody would've thought of stat padding back then, huh....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject:

Here are 2 sides of the argument over Kobe going for more points in the 4th.

LINK

A nice quote from the pro-side:

Quote:

What if the Philadelphia Warriors had removed Wilt at the end of the third quarter, when he had only 69 points? How would that have been a good thing for fans, or for the NBA? The Warriors won 169-147, so it's not like they needed all 100 points.

If I was Phil I would've let Kobe play the 1st 2 minutes of the 4th, just feel how the Mavs are playing him. One sign of intent to hurt and I pull him out. Of course I may then be a play too late.
But a chance at an 80 point game is just too enticing to pass up.
kewentoot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject:

what if kobe played and he gets a bad injury during the 4th quarter?
if that happens , everyone would blame phil for letting kobe play
Roachman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject:

Is everyone forgetting that they are saving Kobe's 100 Point Game for Shaq's Christmas present?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Roachman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject:

Oops! I ruined the surprise! Don't tell him!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject:

I'm glad Kobe didn't go back in in the 4th quarter. The game was well in hand. Any scoring he would have done from that point forward would have been just classless stat padding.

If you can put up 62 in three quarters in the NBA, you've got nothing to prove.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject:

No, Kobe should not have played. When Kobe told Phil it was up to him, Phil had no choice but to keep him on the bench. If Kobe got injured in the 4th, it would have seriously tarnished Phil's legacy and image. Kobe still has a shot a having one of the greatest games ever, but it's going to have to come during a closer game.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:

Not going back in was pure class by kobe...he proved his point, although I kind of wish the game had been closer, so we could have seen how many he would have gotten...I wanted him to play, but he would have been savaged in the media, and he is our season...no reason to risk injury unnecessarily...Good choice kobe!!!
Mockerfab4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:

Sooooo bummed Laron good hurt. He was a solid bench player. He will be missed.....
*Dante*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:

Kobe showed alot of class just sitting out the 4th quarter. Even the Kobe haters gave him mad props for his night. If it was Iverson I bet he woulda played that 4th quarter but Kobe didnt. Knowing he had 62 points in 3 quarters alone is amazing enough. No ned to be greety i think maybe kobe felt that too...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I'm glad Kobe didn't go back in in the 4th quarter. The game was well in hand. Any scoring he would have done from that point forward would have been just classless stat padding.

Phil should have kept him in, see if his shot was still falling in the fourth. If it was, keep him in to see how far he could go. If it wasn't, take him out right away. You gotta try.

I like that pro-argument by Royce Webb in BSPN. In baseball, if a pitcher has a no-hitter going into the 9th inning with his team up 15-0, do you take him out to rest him or do you see if he can do it?

I'm positive Kobe would have gotten eaten alive by the media and the haters if he played the fourth just to see where he got. But who the hell cares. They never complained about that back in the day, as recently as the 80's and 90's when their beloved Michael Jordan was in his prime. What, nobody cares about individual accolades anymore? Reminds me of that line from the Incredibles, they keep coming up with ways to celebrate mediocrity. If Kobe did reach 80, we can't celebrate if Kobe were to accomplish something only one person has done in the past century? We'd have to analyze how selfish a move it was to death?

(I'm not ranting on you, numero-ocho, I'm ranting about society in general and how we've become a society of cynics. I won't lie, I would bash Iverson as well if he pulled the same thing... But how much you wanna bet the media would fawn over him if he got to 80 in 4 quarters of a blowout but bash Kobe if he did the same thing?)
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:

I think Kobe getting 62 points in 3 Quarters (33 minutes) is a better story, it shows Class, domination, integrity of the players on both sides and above all shows he respects the game.

Kobe would have looked a little out of place with all those bench players out there for both sides, although it would have been sweet to see him break records, it is sweeter to see the organization keep their eyes on the main goal. Making the playoffs Healthy, unfortunately for us we lost a great bench player but I have faith we will recover.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

Superb points, Pokoy. Screw the media and the haters. They're gonna do what they do anyway. Kobe's never going to win with that crowd. And besides, I don't want to see them falling all over each other trying to jump on the bandwagon when Kobe keeps wearing this league out in the years ahead. They've already staked their position. Let them eat it now and in the future.

Last night was the happiest moment of Lakers basketball in a long long time.

There's nothing wrong with a great player doing his thing on a magical night. This whole weird vibe surrounding everything Kobe does emanates from his coach and it always has. The guy is a great basketball player. Jackson has made looking askance at everything Kobe does a national pastime and last night was just a continuation of it in my opinion. I don't think it was done in a mean or nasty way the way some of it was in the past, but I just don't agree with some of the things Jackson does and last night was another one of those times.

It was the game of basketball being played at the highest level by the best player in the game today. It was a joyous display of artistry by a brilliant athlete. Why cut it short? He should have been given at least a brief fourth period curtain call. Yeah, I know "he might have gotten hurt" etc, and that's true. But a guy could get hurt getting out of bed in the morning, too. You can't go thru life worrying about stuff like that all the time. If he was having an average night in a 30 point blow out of course I would advocate leaving him on the bench for the entire fourth period. But last night was anything but average.

I know Jackson has coached nine more NBA championship teams than I have, but that doesn't make him right all of the time. I thought Kobe deserved a few more minutes.
Dakota
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Phil should have kept him in, see if his shot was still falling in the fourth. If it was, keep him in to see how far he could go. If it wasn't, take him out right away. You gotta try.

I like that pro-argument by Royce Webb in BSPN. In baseball, if a pitcher has a no-hitter going into the 9th inning with his team up 15-0, do you take him out to rest him or do you see if he can do it?

I'm positive Kobe would have gotten eaten alive by the media and the haters if he played the fourth just to see where he got. But who the hell cares. They never complained about that back in the day, as recently as the 80's and 90's when their beloved Michael Jordan was in his prime. What, nobody cares about individual accolades anymore? Reminds me of that line from the Incredibles, they keep coming up with ways to celebrate mediocrity. If Kobe did reach 80, we can't celebrate if Kobe were to accomplish something only one person has done in the past century? We'd have to analyze how selfish a move it was to death?

(I'm not ranting on you, numero-ocho, I'm ranting about society in general and how we've become a society of cynics. I won't lie, I would bash Iverson as well if he pulled the same thing... But how much you wanna bet the media would fawn over him if he got to 80 in 4 quarters of a blowout but bash Kobe if he did the same thing?)

I read that article comparing it to a no hitter but I there is one key difference. A pitcher will rest for the next week (4 games or so) before playing again so a few more pitches is unlikely to make much of a difference in his season. Plus, the chance of injury is minimal. For Kobe, his minutes are really adding up, he plays every other day and this was a thirty point blowout. If you put him back in for the 4th with, and against, a bunch of bench players in what will likely be a raggedy "free-for-all" style that garbage time becomes, the risk of injury is simply too great.

Scoring 80 would be sick and I would have loved to see him do it. Had the game been close I would have loved to see him pour it on in the 4th. However, the goal is not to see which Laker/NBA records Kobe can rewrite. The goal is too see how many rings Kobe can wear to his jersey retirement ceremony. Anything that jeopordizes the pursuit of that goal is selfish and irrelevent, IMO.
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Kobe and Phil are party poopers!

Come on! Live a little! Kobe only needed 10 more to break the Lakers record.

Remember the days when they did silly things like decide that Wilt should go for 100 points? The whole team, including his coach, decided to go for it!

Oh, well, I guess it's politically correct to not go for records anymore.
lakers_bling_dynasty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject:

politically correct? The game is in the bag. I don't want Kobe risking an injury. What should be in the history books is that DNP is the 4th quarter.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject:

Ultimately, Kobe and Phil made the right decision. Phil's right, it would not have been within the "spirit" of the game. Kobe showed maturity, respect and trust in Phil by agreeing to sit out the 4th.

However, I would have loved to have seen Kobe play the 4th. Too bad the Lakers had no competition last night.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

No offense taken. I just view it differently. I still enjoying seeing good displays of sportsmanship in this modern age of in-your-face athletics.

A no-hitter in baseball is an uncertainty until the last pitch is thrown. One swing of the bat and it's over. A no-hitter is just about as difficult if the score is 15-0 or if it's 0-0. It's not the same as scoring 12 more points against Dallas' bench players in the 4th quarter of a blowout.

I didn't need to see if Kobe could break David Thompson's 73-point mark, I KNEW he could. There was nothing more to prove from that point forward and certainly nothing mediocre about knowing there was nothing more to prove.
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject:

^^whatever!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: