MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Anyone bought yet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Anyone bought yet?

There's the Apple WWDC thread already, but I figured this should get a new one.

So far, the biggest complaints are about its lack of upgradability and resemblance to a MacBook Air. Others are praising its blazing fast speed and amazing display.

I wish they had a 17 inch version, but it looks like it's worth the close to $3,000 it would cost.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Nope but I did buy a 13" MBP mid 2012. Seems a tiny bit faster than the previous model, and graphics are a little better as well. No other differences.

I was really upset about the price tag of the retina display, I had been waiting for it for 6 months, held off on a MBP turned out to be 500 hundred out of my budget -_-

Last edited by .4 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Nah. Not interested. I'm using a Mac Book at the moment...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Nice laptop, but wow the price....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject:

jsahmad1 wrote:
Nope but I did buy a 13" MBP mid 2012. Seems a tiny bit faster than the previous model, and graphics are a little better as well. No other differences.

I was really upset about the price tag of the retina display, I had been waiting for it for 6 months, held off on a MBP turned out to be 500 hundred out of my budget -_-

You could either get the 13 inch or just save a bit more. May as well at this point. Although it doesn't make sense if you just bough one a month or two ago... (Assuming there was no typo and you didn't mean mid 2010).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Nah, my older MBP is still good enough and I rarely use it anymore outside of traveling.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Nah, my older MBP is still good enough and I rarely use it anymore outside of traveling.

What's your main computer, then? Figured you would only have a laptop since you're a student.

Oh yeah, and link me to the external monitor you have, or another good one for watching movies, etc.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:

What's your main computer, then? Figured you would only have a laptop since you're a student.

Oh yeah, and link me to the external monitor you have, or another good one for watching movies, etc.

I have Alienware m18x. Does everything I want it to. The MBP is just for taking to school and back.

My external monitor was a 32 inch LED TV. My lab workstation used an Apple LED Cinema Display. You can find those on your own.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I have Alienware m18x. Does everything I want it to. The MBP is just for taking to school and back.

My external monitor was a 32 inch LED TV. My lab workstation used an Apple LED Cinema Display. You can find those on your own.

You can fit a 32 inch in your dorm?

Apple offers a 27 inch external monitor for $999 with the MBP. It sounds kind of overpriced, but there has to be some reason for it. How much did your 32 inch cost?

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:

You can fit a 32 inch in your dorm?

Apple offers a 27 inch external monitor for $999 with the MBP. It sounds kind of overpriced, but there has to be some reason for it. How much did your 32 inch cost?

No, that was after I moved into a studio senior year. Plenty of room there. Even then, I'm sure I could've squeezed it since I got a move to DeNeve double instead of the sardine can triple at Helldrick.

Apple tax. And I hope you're not stupid enough to buy Apple products without your educational discounts. You can get anywhere from $50 to $100 off most things, used to be more. I bought it for $599, and a correction, that was the old LCD at UCLA which I sold for almost that much. At UCF, I bought another one for $650.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Of course, I'm not an idiot. It's $200 off. Supposedly if you buy it from the Cornell Store, it's even cheaper, but whatever.

And I didn't know monitors were that expensive. There were 32 inches available for like $300-$400 or so online when I checked before, but the quality probably isn't that great.

And should I get a 27 or 32 inch?

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Of course, I'm not an idiot. It's $200 off. Supposedly if you buy it from the Cornell Store, it's even cheaper, but whatever.

And I didn't know monitors were that expensive. There were 32 inches available for like $300-$400 or so online when I checked before, but the quality probably isn't that great.

You pay for what you get. Back then, it was pretty expensive and I got a Sony TV. The one I bought later was a 3D Panasonic TV.

Depends on your price range and the size of your dorm.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject:

How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

You go to Cornell? Small world.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject:

TheVujacicFan wrote:
How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.

Well, it's more of the "experts" complaining. They're the people who physically take their computer apart and modify it themselves. The parts are glued in and can't be removed. Even the RAM, which is why I'm going to go for the 16 GB option.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject:

TheVujacicFan wrote:

Hard drives are usually easy as all hell...as well as optical drives, I've swapped hard drive caddies into these drives as well as upgraded blu rays etc.

CPU and graphics card are still a bit of a (bleep) to get into. CPU's are easy once you get into it but graphics card...you start having to deal with thermals and chassis design. THAT becomes somewhat complicated.

It's definitely a lot esaier than it was 15 years ago when I started dicking around w these thing
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

Well, it's more of the "experts" complaining. They're the people who physically take their computer apart and modify it themselves. The parts are glued in and can't be removed. Even the RAM, which is why I'm going to go for the 16 GB option.

Generally 4GB of ram is suggested for gaming, 8GB for hyper multitasking, and 16 GB for the super enthusiast.

RAM is cheap though so either way you might as well max it out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

CandyCanes wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

Not being able to self upgrade RAM is a gd joke and the sad part is...a lot of folks will willingly and happily and staunchly defend getting bent over and stuffed up the sphincter. Repeatedly.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

I priced one the other day. Costs around $3000-$4000 depending on what you want on it.

Sorry, I don't think I'll ever buy a laptop that expensive.

I might as well buy the new Mac Air to be honest.

The retina display would cost just way too much.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

Hard drives are usually easy as all hell...as well as optical drives, I've swapped hard drive caddies into these drives as well as upgraded blu rays etc.

CPU and graphics card are still a bit of a (bleep) to get into. CPU's are easy once you get into it but graphics card...you start having to deal with thermals and chassis design. THAT becomes somewhat complicated.

It's definitely a lot esaier than it was 15 years ago when I started dicking around w these thing

Yeah you're right. I was mainly referring to the GPU and CPU when discussing laptop upgradability.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject:

TheVujacicFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

Yeah you're right. I was mainly referring to the GPU and CPU when discussing laptop upgradability.

True that .

Those are the only relevant parts anyways imo. Rest is all dressing.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
I priced one the other day. Costs around $3000-$4000 depending on what you want on it.

Sorry, I don't think I'll ever buy a laptop that expensive.

I might as well buy the new Mac Air to be honest.

The retina display would cost just way too much.

I actually just convinced someone into buying a nice $750 HP laptop for college next year over a Macbook Pro. It was a good deal too, the laptop came with a Core i7, 6GB of ram, and a 750GB hard drive. Oh and the free Xbox didn't hurt either.

The one thing the Mac's do win out on is display quality and graphical ability, but those things don't matter to many especially if you aren't a heavy gamer and don't need super HD screens.

As for me I'm sticking to desktops. I have a crappy laptop for when that sort of thing is needed but don't see myself getting anything fancy soon. Perhaps a tablet is in my future though...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

Not being able to self upgrade RAM is a gd joke and the sad part is...a lot of folks will willingly and happily and staunchly defend getting bent over and stuffed up the sphincter. Repeatedly.

I'm not actually going to use 16 GB of RAM, but once you're at the point where you've spent $2,800 or so, what's another $200 for twice the RAM? And it's then or never, so you might as well.

And HP is a horrible, shady company. Their computers are made to break.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

I'm not actually going to use 16 GB of RAM, but once you're at the point where you've spent $2,800 or so, what's another $200 for twice the RAM? And it's then or never, so you might as well.

And HP is a horrible, shady company. Their computers are made to break.

Not sure why you brought up HP.

Honestly, and I have to talk to so many friends/family/coworkers etc off the spending. Be honest with yourself about what you intend to use with your computer.

They're a commodity these days. Treat it as such and not a $2000-3000 item that in "real" world use, doesn't make ONE OUNCE of difference.

That $3000 computer on a technological level will be a joke in a year. Treat it as a commodity, not a luxury item. You can spend 1/4 of that and replace it every year with current tech that would stomp that.

Of course, it won't have the Apple branding and let's be honest, 99% of what htis about is that label. It's unbelievable how well their marketing department does their work.

It truly is like Bose. Another company that sells a piece of hardware that is a 5, repackages as a 9 and markets it as a 12. Unreal.

Just trying to save you a buck kiddo.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject:

I brought up HP because the guy before me mentioned it. I was responding to him in that part. I also have an HP desktop which is constantly breaking due to "software issues." They refuse to replace it.

And eh... I've just had such bad experiences with PCs that I kind of don't trust them anymore. Maybe if they're custom made, then they would be better, but it's like they're made to break. They start out fine and then just deteriorate over time until they become unbearable.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: