MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Anyone bought yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject:

I'd consider it if it was closer to $1500 or something. There's no way I'll spend $3000 on a laptop.
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject:

Coworker picked one up and we were playing with it at the office. It's very nice. Watched some 4k vide on it that was . Some apps, like photoshop for instance, are not yet set up for retina specs so resolution is not as crisp. But the machine looks and feels awesome. It's by far the best laptop experience you can have. Everything was super fast, it has a surprisingly thin form factor due to the solid state drive. I recommend everyone pick one up, and make sure to max out the specs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject:

TheVujacicFan wrote:
How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.

Yea, I just don't see CC lugging a desktop around. He weighs about as much as a standard tower. Plus, who knows what kind of living option he gets though I doubt it'd be as small as the desks at UCLA where a desktop pretty much takes up 2/3 of your space. I tried my gaming tower the first 2 weeks but I got fed up with having to move the thing every time I wanted to open a book.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jsahmad1 wrote:
Nope but I did buy a 13" MBP mid 2012. Seems a tiny bit faster than the previous model, and graphics are a little better as well. No other differences.

I was really upset about the price tag of the retina display, I had been waiting for it for 6 months, held off on a MBP turned out to be 500 hundred out of my budget -_-

You could either get the 13 inch or just save a bit more. May as well at this point. Although it doesn't make sense if you just bough one a month or two ago... (Assuming there was no typo and you didn't mean mid 2010).
I did just get the 2012 13 inch non retina display. I ordered it the day it came out because I was really in need for a new one.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I brought up HP because the guy before me mentioned it. I was responding to him in that part. I also have an HP desktop which is constantly breaking due to "software issues." They refuse to replace it.

And eh... I've just had such bad experiences with PCs that I kind of don't trust them anymore. Maybe if they're custom made, then they would be better, but it's like they're made to break. They start out fine and then just deteriorate over time until they become unbearable.

PC requires certain maintenance to run optimally. If you download/install lots of software, it will bog down eventually. I like Macs, but for the price, its expensive in comparison. Like other people here, can buy a cheaper PC and change it every couple of years.

Can also buy refurbish macs too, they are not bad.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Of course, I'm not an idiot.
This statement has the makings of an excellent thread...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Says the guy who didn't even graduate from college and sells fruits/vegetables for a living...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Says the guy who didn't even graduate from college and sells fruits/vegetables for a living...

Says the guy who got rejected from almost all the schools he applied to...
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

U MAD BRO?
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject:

if you want to stand out at Cornell, get a Toshiba laptop.

besides, its gonna cost you $200 to replace a new MBP battery:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject:

SP_Fever wrote:
if you want to stand out at Cornell, get a Toshiba laptop.

besides, its gonna cost you $200 to replace a new MBP battery:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

I dunno. I've had issues with Toshibas. Outside of HP, they're the most common laptops that needed repairs or had significant performance drops in my experience. Lenovo, ASUS, Alienware, and the higher end Dells have been the most reliable.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:
How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.

Yea, I just don't see CC lugging a desktop around. He weighs about as much as a standard tower. Plus, who knows what kind of living option he gets though I doubt it'd be as small as the desks at UCLA where a desktop pretty much takes up 2/3 of your space. I tried my gaming tower the first 2 weeks but I got fed up with having to move the thing every time I wanted to open a book.

Desks are extremely small. I have a single. Here's what mine will probably look like:

http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campuslife/housing/undergraduate/upload/Dickson-single.mov

Barely enough room to even walk around. Desktop would take up all the desk space, even though I'll be studying in the library anyway. Can't study in claustrophobic environments.

And yeah, why is HP such a crappy company? Everything I've ever bought from them has had problems.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:

don't forget to get a Lumia 900 also, then you'll be the hippest freshman on campus
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

Desks are extremely small. I have a single. Here's what mine will probably look like:

http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campuslife/housing/undergraduate/upload/Dickson-single.mov

Barely enough room to even walk around. Desktop would take up all the desk space, even though I'll be studying in the library anyway. Can't study in claustrophobic environments.

And yeah, why is HP such a crappy company? Everything I've ever bought from them has had problems.

Looks almost the same as my dorm at UCLA. Except 2 people sharing the same size. You didn't want a roommate or two? We'd love to hear the bullying stories. If you got a white hockey or lacrosse player, that'd be interesting.

HP's model is mediocrity and sloppiness when it comes to computers. Their servers and printers are run much better.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject:

^
How did you fit TWO people in a room that size? There's barely enough space for one person to fit inside. Do you think I could fit in a television?

And they ran out of doubles, so they gave me a single The guy I was going to room with is neighbors with Mike Breen. Same city as Bill O'Reilly, too. Just like me, except white and from the East Coast.

I'm already friends with a 290 pound Offensive Tackle, so if anyone "bullied" me, I would probably just have him beat them to a pulp. I wasn't bullied in high school, except for random idiots calling me a "chink" or occasionally spitting in my direction. The same garbage everyone gets.

MiniMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully will have one around Late July/Early August.

"Come hell or high water, we're going to be there again"

- Kobe Bryant after game 5 loss to the Thunder.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
^
How did you fit TWO people in a room that size? There's barely enough space for one person to fit inside. Do you think I could fit in a television?

And they ran out of doubles, so they gave me a single The guy I was going to room with is neighbors with Mike Breen. Same city as Bill O'Reilly, too. Just like me, except white and from the East Coast.

I'm already friends with a 290 pound Offensive Tackle, so if anyone "bullied" me, I would probably just have him beat them to a pulp. I wasn't bullied in high school, except for random idiots calling me a "chink" or occasionally spitting in my direction. The same garbage everyone gets.

It's one of the drawbacks of an urban college, you have to live in a sardine can or else pay a lot of money. I think you can squeeze a 32 inch maybe on top of the drawer if you don't knock it over while sleeping.

Offensive linemen may not be smart, but I'm sure they won't get involved in physical altercations just for someone unless you're paying him for protection. Though I never really got any of that, even in freshman football, where you'd expect hazing. Any derogatory word pretty much was said when I was with a group and in passing. And nothing like spitting.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
^

It's one of the drawbacks of an urban college, you have to live in a sardine can or else pay a lot of money. I think you can squeeze a 32 inch maybe on top of the drawer if you don't knock it over while sleeping.

Offensive linemen may not be smart, but I'm sure they won't get involved in physical altercations just for someone unless you're paying him for protection. Though I never really got any of that, even in freshman football, where you'd expect hazing. Any derogatory word pretty much was said when I was with a group and in passing. And nothing like spitting.

Yeah, it happens to me in passing too, from random punks I don't even know. Spitting has only happened like twice, it's almost always "chink," "f***ing Asian," or "Ching chong ling long." I used to just ignore it, but since that whole affirmative action debacle it's really started to piss me off.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Teamof2000 wrote:
Coworker picked one up and we were playing with it at the office. It's very nice. Watched some 4k vide on it that was . Some apps, like photoshop for instance, are not yet set up for retina specs so resolution is not as crisp. But the machine looks and feels awesome. It's by far the best laptop experience you can have. Everything was super fast, it has a surprisingly thin form factor due to the solid state drive. I recommend everyone pick one up, and make sure to max out the specs.

Maxing out the specs, it would cost close to about $4000 after tax.....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:

^
With the way I want mine, it's going to cost 3.55 k. Ouch.

But (bleep) it, I'm already burning 200 k on tuition/housing over four years. Might as well.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:

Well, it's more of the "experts" complaining. They're the people who physically take their computer apart and modify it themselves. The parts are glued in and can't be removed. Even the RAM, which is why I'm going to go for the 16 GB option.
you dont need 16gb of ram. unless you're playing some serious memory hog games or you are 3d rendering/multi channel recording/producing music/video.
16gb is over kill.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:

What about 512 GB of flash storage? Is that enough, or should I upgrade to 768?

Anyway, with ICloud, a lot of my stuff isn't even going to be stored on the actual computer.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Got mine delivered today. This thing is amazing. Everything is so clear. It's better than my real vision.

Blazingly fast too. Absolutely no lag. Lots of apps. Greatest creation of mankind.

It was 3.2 k after taxes. No regrets.

LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I got the retina display MBP a couple of days ago and am in love with it. It's pretty much base except the upgrade to 2.6gHz i7 processor. I stuck with the 256gb flash drive (all my past laptops have been 128gb or under and I've never had a problem with space for my purposes) and 8gb RAM. I do use some graphic software for photo editing, but I don't see myself needing 16gb at any time over the next few years. As a dental student, I use my laptop nearly every minute that I'm not in sim/clinic and it's important for me to have a crisp display and responsive processor. As long as I can have Word, PowerPoint, iTunes, and an internet browser with multiple tabs open without slowdown, I'm happy. This machine does this EASILY!
Total cost for me after the student discount and including 3 year AppleCare, $100 iTunes giftcard, and tax was $2500.

It's a great investment if you have the funds in my opinion!

Amen to that!
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Imagine the PC you could build with 3k. Like 100x more powerful than the Macbook.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: