MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Anyone bought yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Got mine delivered today. This thing is amazing. Everything is so clear. It's better than my real vision.

Blazingly fast too. Absolutely no lag. Lots of apps. Greatest creation of mankind.

It was 3.2 k after taxes. No regrets.

Spending 3000 just for a mac, what a tool....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject:

stevie wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Got mine delivered today. This thing is amazing. Everything is so clear. It's better than my real vision.

Blazingly fast too. Absolutely no lag. Lots of apps. Greatest creation of mankind.

Going through the whole registration process just to tell me something I already knew...

What a fool.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
stevie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
stevie wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Going through the whole registration process just to tell me something I already knew...

What a fool.

It's so idiotic I just had to register.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Lmao
siyanur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject:

stevie wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
stevie wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What a fool.

dude, did you really just register to say that ? really ??

i mean i agree with that, paying 3k for a mac is kinda silly but in this case candy is right too
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject:

stevie wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
stevie wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What a fool.

I had to spend 2 seconds loging in just to bold that part.
siyanur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:

stivi you gonna be legend member of lg

i feel it
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject:

stevie wrote:

So one person invests in a reliable, cutting-edge machine that will last him through college and maybe even grad school, while another person (presumably from HP) decides to lament over losing another customer.

If your company built and supported products like Apple, maybe he wouldn't have to switch in the first place.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:

The screen is better, but seeing as how I dim my macbook pro screen...probably wouldn't be a great investment to pay a premium for the screen.

I'd definitely take it if I had the money or it was included as a regular addition though

3K is steep, but buying any macbook can be considered steep when they are good PC options at around 500-600 (ASUS).
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject:

How are the new MacBook airs in comparison to the last model and the MBPs?
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject:

TheGOATWears#24 wrote:
How are the new MacBook airs in comparison to the last model and the MBPs?

I wouldn't even bother with an Air anymore. I'm telling you, this Retina is absolutely razor thing. My old MacBook, which I use in bed, feels like an outdated relic. I keep measuring the width with my hands, and it's just SO thick in comparison.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
stevie wrote:

So one person invests in a reliable, cutting-edge machine that will last him through college and maybe even grad school, while another person (presumably from HP) decides to lament over losing another customer.

If your company built and supported products like Apple, maybe he wouldn't have to switch in the first place.

It's pricy, but over the long term it evens out.

My 2008 plastic MacBook has now lasted me for fours years with only a marginal decline in performance.

On the other hand, I've gone through two HP desktops. The first just declined so much that it took five seconds to open a page and became unresponsive constantly. The second was built with a faulty motherboard and broke within six months. They oh-so-graciously replaced it after I complained to customer service like ten times. There's a (bleep) warranty for a reason. You don't ask the customer questions and try to refuse them servicing. I googled it and some guys are trying to get a class-action lawsuit going.

And of course, six months later, the same damn issue. Every single time I've called in they claim it's a software issue and refuse to replace it again. One (bleep) even made me reformat my computer and deceived me into thinking that backing it up would allow me to restore it the way it was, when in reality it just gave me a bunch of files on my flash drive. I was pissed.

And now they refuse to replace it, so my dad is just going to use his credit card's warranty to get the money back. I would have done a chargeback just so that crappy and shameful company HP loses money.

It's absolutely disgusting the way those people practice business. They should all be thrown in jail.

Mac customer service, on the other hand? No questions asked. There doesn't even need to be an actual problem for them to replace parts for you, free of charge and within a week. My friend dented his Mac with a bobblehead. Replaced that part of the exterior for him. Took out all of his keys and tried to get a black/white keyboard, backed out and then wanted it back the way it was. Replaced for free.

Hell, he basically got every single part replaced with no questions asked. I'm willing to pay the extra money just for the customer service around, not to mention the user-friendliness and durability over time.

And of course all the insecure PC lovers make the "They require maintenance" argument and whine about how the Retina can't be upgraded or fixed by the owner.

Look, if you have nothing better to do than take your computer apart for fun and (bleep) to Gizmodo, then get a PC.

Everyone else: Get a Mac.

Like, debating is fine and all, but just browsing the web there's just so many bitter PC users who act all condescending because they don't use Macs, probably because they can't even afford one. It's pathetic.

mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject:

I can afford a Mac. I just can't justify dropping that much jing down On a laptop just because it has a pretty screen. It's cool, but like 3D tvs, how many things are truly going to take advantage of it. The retina display of my iPhone 4 was awesome and a revelation . . . For about two days. And then I honestly didn't notice it much anymore and when I got a droid rzr for work the lower image res didn't bother me at all. Glad you're happy with your purchase, but I'll wait until prices drop like they inevitably do to pick up an equivalent unit.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
My old MacBook, which I use in bed.... I keep measuring the width with my hands, and it's just SO thick in comparison.

stevie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject:

siyanur wrote:

i feel it

I've been lurking here for a few years now, but I just had to share that thought.

I'm being politically incorrect here, but the only people that purchase macs seem to be easily swayed by marketing and advertising and are so incompetent in taking care of their own computer, that they'd rather have it be idiot proof and restrictive for 3 times the amount, than take some accountability and learn how to use a proper computer.

PEACE
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
K2 wrote:
stevie wrote:

My 2008 plastic MacBook has now lasted me for fours years with only a marginal decline in performance.

On the other hand, I've gone through two HP desktops. The first just declined so much that it took five seconds to open a page and became unresponsive constantly. The second was built with a faulty motherboard and broke within six months. They oh-so-graciously replaced it after I complained to customer service like ten times. There's a (bleep) warranty for a reason. You don't ask the customer questions and try to refuse them servicing. I googled it and some guys are trying to get a class-action lawsuit going.

And of course, six months later, the same damn issue. Every single time I've called in they claim it's a software issue and refuse to replace it again. One (bleep) even made me reformat my computer and deceived me into thinking that backing it up would allow me to restore it the way it was, when in reality it just gave me a bunch of files on my flash drive. I was pissed.

And now they refuse to replace it, so my dad is just going to use his credit card's warranty to get the money back. I would have done a chargeback just so that crappy and shameful company HP loses money.

It's absolutely disgusting the way those people practice business. They should all be thrown in jail.

Mac customer service, on the other hand? No questions asked. There doesn't even need to be an actual problem for them to replace parts for you, free of charge and within a week. My friend dented his Mac with a bobblehead. Replaced that part of the exterior for him. Took out all of his keys and tried to get a black/white keyboard, backed out and then wanted it back the way it was. Replaced for free.

Hell, he basically got every single part replaced with no questions asked. I'm willing to pay the extra money just for the customer service around, not to mention the user-friendliness and durability over time.

And of course all the insecure PC lovers make the "They require maintenance" argument and whine about how the Retina can't be upgraded or fixed by the owner.

Look, if you have nothing better to do than take your computer apart for fun and (bleep) to Gizmodo, then get a PC.

Like, debating is fine and all, but just browsing the web there's just so many bitter PC users who act all condescending because they don't use Macs, probably because they can't even afford one. It's pathetic.

The ultimate in irony from a guy what wants to be an investment banker. But it figures he has his "daddy's credit card insurance" to bail him out from his bad purchases. Sound familiar?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
K2 wrote:
stevie wrote:

The ultimate in irony from a guy what wants to be an investment banker. But it figures he has his "daddy's credit card insurance" to bail him out from his bad purchases. Sound familiar?

Because everybody involved in finance is a terrible person. And I'm for Wall Street reform. Just because I want to be one doesn't mean I support what they do. If it were up to me, we would take the Iceland route and divide/nationalize the banks. At the very least, bring back Glass-Steagall.

And haha, yeah, consumer protection is totally like credit default swaps! What a brilliant analogy.

You've really never heard of John Corzine? Probably not the best example anymore because of the recent MF Global scandal, but you get my point. There are plenty of liberals in finance.

MiniMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject:

Ordering mine in 2 weeks. Can't wait any longer!

"Come hell or high water, we're going to be there again"

- Kobe Bryant after game 5 loss to the Thunder.
undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:

stevie wrote:
siyanur wrote:

i feel it

I've been lurking here for a few years now, but I just had to share that thought.

I'm being politically incorrect here, but the only people that purchase macs seem to be easily swayed by marketing and advertising and are so incompetent in taking care of their own computer, that they'd rather have it be idiot proof and restrictive for 3 times the amount, than take some accountability and learn how to use a proper computer.

PEACE

SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
My old MacBook, which I use in bed.... I keep measuring the width with my hands, and it's just SO thick in comparison.

for science!
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
stevie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject:

undefeatedAJ wrote:
stevie wrote:
siyanur wrote:

i feel it

PEACE

Good rebuttal bro.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject:

If you're going to use the laptop monitor primarily, I guess it may be worth it, depending on what you're doing, but if you're going to connect it to a dock and use regular monitors it's a wasted cost. Just depends on how you're going to use it.

If you want pre-built PCs that look as good as macs and have a fraction of the cost, check out Vizio. I've read good things about them. They have the same aluminum unibody, and they're the only PC/laptop maker who've worked with Microsoft engineers to basically tailor the system to the OS (Microsoft Signature). No bloatware. No stupid stickers all over the place. And they're much cheaper than macs. And if it's your thing, they're a US company based right here in socal.
akbroker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject:

macbooks look really cool and sturdy. no question about it, the best looking gadgets. so i can't blame anyone who decides to spend that amount on them. having said that, i'd rather spend the same amount of $ on an alienware laptop. and i'm not even a gamer. just curious how spectacular the graphics would be on such a powerful laptop.
undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:

stevie wrote:
undefeatedAJ wrote:
stevie wrote:
siyanur wrote:

i feel it

PEACE

Good rebuttal bro.

I majored in computer engineering. I have a mac. So am I incompetent in taking care of my own computer?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject:

akbroker wrote:
macbooks look really cool and sturdy. no question about it, the best looking gadgets. so i can't blame anyone who decides to spend that amount on them. having said that, i'd rather spend the same amount of $ on an alienware laptop. and i'm not even a gamer. just curious how spectacular the graphics would be on such a powerful laptop.

For mobile gamers, Alienware's pretty much it (other than Sager). I use that as my primary and gaming laptop and my older Macbook Pro from the lab as a lecture/library setup. Both have great customer service and work great anyways. *knock on wood*
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: