MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Anyone bought yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 9824

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject:

I'd consider it if it was closer to $1500 or something. There's no way I'll spend $3000 on a laptop.
_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Apr 2001
Posts: 2286
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject:

Coworker picked one up and we were playing with it at the office. It's very nice. Watched some 4k vide on it that was . Some apps, like photoshop for instance, are not yet set up for retina specs so resolution is not as crisp. But the machine looks and feels awesome. It's by far the best laptop experience you can have. Everything was super fast, it has a surprisingly thin form factor due to the solid state drive. I recommend everyone pick one up, and make sure to max out the specs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject:

TheVujacicFan wrote:
How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.


Yea, I just don't see CC lugging a desktop around. He weighs about as much as a standard tower. Plus, who knows what kind of living option he gets though I doubt it'd be as small as the desks at UCLA where a desktop pretty much takes up 2/3 of your space. I tried my gaming tower the first 2 weeks but I got fed up with having to move the thing every time I wanted to open a book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
.4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 689

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jsahmad1 wrote:
Nope but I did buy a 13" MBP mid 2012. Seems a tiny bit faster than the previous model, and graphics are a little better as well. No other differences.


I was really upset about the price tag of the retina display, I had been waiting for it for 6 months, held off on a MBP turned out to be 500 hundred out of my budget -_-


You could either get the 13 inch or just save a bit more. May as well at this point. Although it doesn't make sense if you just bough one a month or two ago... (Assuming there was no typo and you didn't mean mid 2010).
I did just get the 2012 13 inch non retina display. I ordered it the day it came out because I was really in need for a new one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Jun 2002
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I brought up HP because the guy before me mentioned it. I was responding to him in that part. I also have an HP desktop which is constantly breaking due to "software issues." They refuse to replace it.

And eh... I've just had such bad experiences with PCs that I kind of don't trust them anymore. Maybe if they're custom made, then they would be better, but it's like they're made to break. They start out fine and then just deteriorate over time until they become unbearable.


PC requires certain maintenance to run optimally. If you download/install lots of software, it will bog down eventually. I like Macs, but for the price, its expensive in comparison. Like other people here, can buy a cheaper PC and change it every couple of years.

Can also buy refurbish macs too, they are not bad.
_________________
The journey to 17 begins...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 83813
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Of course, I'm not an idiot.
This statement has the makings of an excellent thread...
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28970
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Says the guy who didn't even graduate from college and sells fruits/vegetables for a living...
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Says the guy who didn't even graduate from college and sells fruits/vegetables for a living...


Says the guy who got rejected from almost all the schools he applied to...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 13043
Location: MDC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Says the guy who didn't even graduate from college and sells fruits/vegetables for a living...


U MAD BRO?
_________________
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) ʕʘᴥʘʔ (⌐ ͡■ ͜ʖ ͡■) (┛◉Д◉)┛( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 3519
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject:

if you want to stand out at Cornell, get a Toshiba laptop.

besides, its gonna cost you $200 to replace a new MBP battery:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/
_________________
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject:

SP_Fever wrote:
if you want to stand out at Cornell, get a Toshiba laptop.

besides, its gonna cost you $200 to replace a new MBP battery:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/


I dunno. I've had issues with Toshibas. Outside of HP, they're the most common laptops that needed repairs or had significant performance drops in my experience. Lenovo, ASUS, Alienware, and the higher end Dells have been the most reliable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28970
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:
How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.


Yea, I just don't see CC lugging a desktop around. He weighs about as much as a standard tower. Plus, who knows what kind of living option he gets though I doubt it'd be as small as the desks at UCLA where a desktop pretty much takes up 2/3 of your space. I tried my gaming tower the first 2 weeks but I got fed up with having to move the thing every time I wanted to open a book.


Desks are extremely small. I have a single. Here's what mine will probably look like:

http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campuslife/housing/undergraduate/upload/Dickson-single.mov

Barely enough room to even walk around. Desktop would take up all the desk space, even though I'll be studying in the library anyway. Can't study in claustrophobic environments.

And yeah, why is HP such a crappy company? Everything I've ever bought from them has had problems.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 3519
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:

don't forget to get a Lumia 900 also, then you'll be the hippest freshman on campus
_________________
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:
How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.


Yea, I just don't see CC lugging a desktop around. He weighs about as much as a standard tower. Plus, who knows what kind of living option he gets though I doubt it'd be as small as the desks at UCLA where a desktop pretty much takes up 2/3 of your space. I tried my gaming tower the first 2 weeks but I got fed up with having to move the thing every time I wanted to open a book.


Desks are extremely small. I have a single. Here's what mine will probably look like:

http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campuslife/housing/undergraduate/upload/Dickson-single.mov

Barely enough room to even walk around. Desktop would take up all the desk space, even though I'll be studying in the library anyway. Can't study in claustrophobic environments.

And yeah, why is HP such a crappy company? Everything I've ever bought from them has had problems.


Looks almost the same as my dorm at UCLA. Except 2 people sharing the same size. You didn't want a roommate or two? We'd love to hear the bullying stories. If you got a white hockey or lacrosse player, that'd be interesting.

HP's model is mediocrity and sloppiness when it comes to computers. Their servers and printers are run much better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28970
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject:

^
How did you fit TWO people in a room that size? There's barely enough space for one person to fit inside. Do you think I could fit in a television?

And they ran out of doubles, so they gave me a single The guy I was going to room with is neighbors with Mike Breen. Same city as Bill O'Reilly, too. Just like me, except white and from the East Coast.

I'm already friends with a 290 pound Offensive Tackle, so if anyone "bullied" me, I would probably just have him beat them to a pulp. I wasn't bullied in high school, except for random idiots calling me a "chink" or occasionally spitting in my direction. The same garbage everyone gets.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MiniMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 382
Location: Irvine, CA / St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully will have one around Late July/Early August.
_________________
"I'm not fading into the shadows. I'm not going anywhere. We're not going anywhere"

"Come hell or high water, we're going to be there again"

- Kobe Bryant after game 5 loss to the Thunder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
^
How did you fit TWO people in a room that size? There's barely enough space for one person to fit inside. Do you think I could fit in a television?

And they ran out of doubles, so they gave me a single The guy I was going to room with is neighbors with Mike Breen. Same city as Bill O'Reilly, too. Just like me, except white and from the East Coast.

I'm already friends with a 290 pound Offensive Tackle, so if anyone "bullied" me, I would probably just have him beat them to a pulp. I wasn't bullied in high school, except for random idiots calling me a "chink" or occasionally spitting in my direction. The same garbage everyone gets.


It's one of the drawbacks of an urban college, you have to live in a sardine can or else pay a lot of money. I think you can squeeze a 32 inch maybe on top of the drawer if you don't knock it over while sleeping.

Offensive linemen may not be smart, but I'm sure they won't get involved in physical altercations just for someone unless you're paying him for protection. Though I never really got any of that, even in freshman football, where you'd expect hazing. Any derogatory word pretty much was said when I was with a group and in passing. And nothing like spitting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28970
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
^
How did you fit TWO people in a room that size? There's barely enough space for one person to fit inside. Do you think I could fit in a television?

And they ran out of doubles, so they gave me a single The guy I was going to room with is neighbors with Mike Breen. Same city as Bill O'Reilly, too. Just like me, except white and from the East Coast.

I'm already friends with a 290 pound Offensive Tackle, so if anyone "bullied" me, I would probably just have him beat them to a pulp. I wasn't bullied in high school, except for random idiots calling me a "chink" or occasionally spitting in my direction. The same garbage everyone gets.


It's one of the drawbacks of an urban college, you have to live in a sardine can or else pay a lot of money. I think you can squeeze a 32 inch maybe on top of the drawer if you don't knock it over while sleeping.

Offensive linemen may not be smart, but I'm sure they won't get involved in physical altercations just for someone unless you're paying him for protection. Though I never really got any of that, even in freshman football, where you'd expect hazing. Any derogatory word pretty much was said when I was with a group and in passing. And nothing like spitting.


Yeah, it happens to me in passing too, from random punks I don't even know. Spitting has only happened like twice, it's almost always "chink," "f***ing Asian," or "Ching chong ling long." I used to just ignore it, but since that whole affirmative action debacle it's really started to piss me off.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 31690

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Teamof2000 wrote:
Coworker picked one up and we were playing with it at the office. It's very nice. Watched some 4k vide on it that was . Some apps, like photoshop for instance, are not yet set up for retina specs so resolution is not as crisp. But the machine looks and feels awesome. It's by far the best laptop experience you can have. Everything was super fast, it has a surprisingly thin form factor due to the solid state drive. I recommend everyone pick one up, and make sure to max out the specs.


Maxing out the specs, it would cost close to about $4000 after tax.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28970
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:

^
With the way I want mine, it's going to cost 3.55 k. Ouch.

But (bleep) it, I'm already burning 200 k on tuition/housing over four years. Might as well.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Posts: 36822

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
TheVujacicFan wrote:
How could a Macbook Pro be criticized for lack of upgradability? All laptops are pretty much self-contained non-modular units that cannot be edited in any way besides the ram usually (unless you're a pro at taking apart your laptop I guess...).

Still haven't found a reason to hop aboard the mac bandwagon yet. The standard desktop PC still provides the most modularity and options for the techie and gamer, and laptops are still $500 cheaper than their Macbook equivalent.


Well, it's more of the "experts" complaining. They're the people who physically take their computer apart and modify it themselves. The parts are glued in and can't be removed. Even the RAM, which is why I'm going to go for the 16 GB option.
you dont need 16gb of ram. unless you're playing some serious memory hog games or you are 3d rendering/multi channel recording/producing music/video.
16gb is over kill.
_________________
LAL4K3RS wrote: He(Kobe) is the white haired kung fu master that you realize is older than dirt but can still kick your arse when in a sitting position drinking a nice herbal tea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28970
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:

What about 512 GB of flash storage? Is that enough, or should I upgrade to 768?

Anyway, with ICloud, a lot of my stuff isn't even going to be stored on the actual computer.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28970
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Got mine delivered today. This thing is amazing. Everything is so clear. It's better than my real vision.

Blazingly fast too. Absolutely no lag. Lots of apps. Greatest creation of mankind.

It was 3.2 k after taxes. No regrets.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Oct 2005
Posts: 1857
Location: Burbank/Westwood, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I got the retina display MBP a couple of days ago and am in love with it. It's pretty much base except the upgrade to 2.6gHz i7 processor. I stuck with the 256gb flash drive (all my past laptops have been 128gb or under and I've never had a problem with space for my purposes) and 8gb RAM. I do use some graphic software for photo editing, but I don't see myself needing 16gb at any time over the next few years. As a dental student, I use my laptop nearly every minute that I'm not in sim/clinic and it's important for me to have a crisp display and responsive processor. As long as I can have Word, PowerPoint, iTunes, and an internet browser with multiple tabs open without slowdown, I'm happy. This machine does this EASILY!
Total cost for me after the student discount and including 3 year AppleCare, $100 iTunes giftcard, and tax was $2500.

It's a great investment if you have the funds in my opinion!
_________________
Dude wrote:
The Lakers are God's franchise.

Amen to that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Feb 2002
Posts: 14876
Location: Reseda, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Imagine the PC you could build with 3k. Like 100x more powerful than the Macbook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB