Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May 4, 2017)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I thought the trailers looked fun. Not sure how people are thinking B movie based on them.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
I thought the trailers looked fun. Not sure how people are thinking B movie based on them.

Same here. It looks really entertaining.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

B movies primary purpose is to entertain... thus, B movies are entertaining...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject:

Might as well call every summer blockbuster a B movie then.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I think it looks well done and clever. However, I can also see this being a movie that makes the most of it's trailer and has a potential to be a stinker. Given it's pedigree I doubt it will be, but it's certainly possible. I think this is one of those movies that's going to either be really great or hugely bad. I don't think one's going to walk away just thinking, "That was OK".
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

And?

This looks nothing like a B movie.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I'll probably watch it because I love sci-fi, but boy does it looks like it's gonna suck

Ooga chaka, ooga, ooga, ooga chaka!!!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:

I never even heard of GOTG but based on the initial images of the characters when the film was first reported to be under works, I couldn't help but think, "How are they going to pull that off?"

After watching the first trailer, it was obvious that they were going for a more humorous take while trying to showcase personality.

I thought that was a pretty wise move for the average non-comic-geek viewer (although it just could be the result of the way the characters are written in the original series) because the easiest way to engage an audience member is through laughter. Because some of the characters are so outlandish (a tree dude and a fox with attitude, for instance) they're going to have to do some serious work to get folks not in the know caring about the cast.

For me, it's a tough sell and I've watched all the super hero films.

Based on the first trailer, I think I'm more prone to wait and see what the reviews are before deciding to wait for Netflix.
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

Looks great! Super excited about this film and I've never read the comic.

Seems to me like Firefly, Cowboy Beebop and Fifth Element had a threesome and out popped GOTG.

I'm in for sure.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

And?

This looks nothing like a B movie.

it gives you that feel... you know when star wars as a hit... then a lot of movies came out with the same theme... all just trying to be Star Wars...

this movie gives you that feel... all the other movies in Marvel Universe are made to be grand-er... made for box office success... this on the other hand... feels more like a tie-in. a sub-plot.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Loved it. It was hilarious and it seems everyone was perfect for their role. And the music, man, the music was fantastic. Definitely the most enjoyable movie from Phase 2.
Manilathrilla121
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject:

Top 5 Marvel movie, might be top 3, it was fantastic.

Definitely the funniest movie so far in any of the phases, satisfying performances, memorable moments, visually stunning and Andy Dwyer aka Chris Pratt just might be the next face of Marvelverse.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

B-movies are almost analogous to low budget. The emphasis (italics and bold here) on low-budget. Nothing about this movie seems low budget. It might be campy, it might be humorous...I don't know. Definitely not B-movie though. Going to sound dick-ish but sounds like you made up a definition of B movie unto yourself.

I get what you're saying about the Star Wars knock offs but I lived in that era. There were a gajillion knock-offs of Conan (WAY more than Star Wars type knock offs) and only a few could be categorized as B-movie (Barbarian Brothers anyone?). Last Starfighter? Jumped on the band-wagon of the time but most definitely NOT a B-movie. The bottom line, is the low budget, cheesy pieces were B-movies (relative to it's time of course). Entertainment value wasn't relevant. Look/feel of cheapness was (again, relative to it's era).
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

B-movies are almost analogous to low budget. The emphasis (italics and bold here) on low-budget. Nothing about this movie seems low budget. It might be campy, it might be humorous...I don't know. Definitely not B-movie though. Going to sound dick-ish but sounds like you made up a definition of B movie unto yourself.

I get what you're saying about the Star Wars knock offs but I lived in that era. There were a gajillion knock-offs of Conan (WAY more than Star Wars type knock offs) and only a few could be categorized as B-movie (Barbarian Brothers anyone?). Last Starfighter? Jumped on the band-wagon of the time but most definitely NOT a B-movie. The bottom line, is the low budget, cheesy pieces were B-movies (relative to it's time of course). Entertainment value wasn't relevant. Look/feel of cheapness was (again, relative to it's era).

Would you say Sharknado is a B-movie?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Would you say Sharknado is a B-movie?

Modern day B-movie. It practically embraced how cheap/silly some of it's effects/scenes/tropes were. A B-movie staple.

Tell you the truth, the Sci-Fi channel is ground zero for B-movies/shows today. I refuse to call it Sy-Fy channel btw...WAY too lame.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject:

170m cost it make plus ads etc. looks like 170m is the marvel budget. Looks like going to be a hit with the avengers 2 tie in. Will see it this weekend.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

Okay, you guys have my interest.

This, for me, honestly, looked kinda whack.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

All the parts that were meant to be funny had the opposite effect. Used licensed oldies (hits) instead of going with a score, which IMO made the production value drop. Dialogue was written at the level of one of those terrible animated Dreamworks chop jobs. All in all it matched my expectations set by the awful trailers.

I AM GROOT HAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHH SO FUNNY

3/10

and howard the duck? wat.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
All the parts that were meant to be funny had the opposite effect. Used licensed oldies (hits) instead of going with a score, which IMO made the production value drop. Dialogue was written at the level of one of those terrible animated Dreamworks chop jobs. All in all it matched my expectations set by the awful trailers.

3/10

Thanks for this.

These guys had me considering it.

One question ... if your expectations were that low ... why did you bother even watching it?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

One question ... if your expectations were that low ... why did you bother even watching it?

Hope.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Hope.

Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
C M B wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Hope.

Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things.

Yup!

Don't let my distaste keep you from the movie. You might actually enjoy it. And you'll only know for sure if you see it.

Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Don't let my distaste keep you from the movie. You might actually enjoy it. And you'll only know for sure if you see it.

There's an old school cinema (on the facade) that reminds me of the theaters I'd attend when I was a kid that's near my house that has $5 matinees. Decent sound system, stadium seating, etc.

I'll still consider taking it in ... I know everyone's tastes are different. What I needed was balance in the reviews. I've read your previous reviews and can surmise our tastes share some similarities.

I'll take a campy, non-realistic movie (say Army of Darkness) if it's got the goods. So, I'm willing to keep an open mind. But yeah those trailers were a pretty good indication this was one for me to skip.

I can normally walk into a restaurant I've never frequented and pick out the best item or two (for my pallet) off the menu and I'd like to think that I possess a similar skill with movie trailers. I am not without flaw so I like to keep an open mind.

Thanks for the input.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

I love these movies but once Marvel and DC get into these cosmic beings, then it gets too much . Too overpowering , too omniscient. Thanos, Galactus, Living Tribunal, the One,. blahblah.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

3/10

Howard the Duck is in the movie? Did they not learn their lesson the first time he was on screen?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: