Playground ball. Which type of players do you hate the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
C M B wrote:
Australian Blackjack

Sometimes there aren't enough players to run a game but there are 3 or 5 of you on the court who want to get some burn.

"Y'all wanna play 21?"

21 it is, you all agree. But one of these guys is either (bleep) nuts or grew up playing some completely alien game of 21. Some of his rules sound totally improvised and zany, and the perpetrator usually states provisions throughout the course of play that make everyone scratch their heads.

"Are we playing tip-outs?" (Rule where if you tip in someone's missed shot, they go back to 0)

"5 and out or 3 and out?" (Caps the number of freethrows after a made basket. When the F is it ever FIVE and out?!)

"If you go over 21 you go back to 15."

"First freethrow is 4 points, first three pointer is 5 points!"

"The person closest to the ball guards the ball!"

"If you miss this 21 shot you outta the game."

I've played "tip-in"(we called it that instead of tip-out) with my cousins and some friends when I was young. It was more about killing time throughout the summer though. I'd never suggest playing it with stranger .

Tip-ins are stupid. Heavily favors big men, and everyone not actively guarding the ball congregates around the basket waiting for the shot to go up. Unless someone hits a hot streak and can't miss, it's almost impossible for anyone to win.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject:

The guy who takes a pick up game at 2 PM on a tuesday at the local rec center waaaay to seriously. He will usually stop the game about once every 5 minutes and argue the score for a good 6 or 7 min with his counterpart on the other team.
LOGoods7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject:

Supa wrote:
The guy who refuses to pass the ball unless there's cutters:

This guy usually wants the ball on every possession, and if he can't score himself he'll hold the ball the whole possession yelling "Cut!". He usually can't dribble, break down defenses, or do anything creative. He will just end up jacking up a bad shot if he doesn't find a teammate making the perfect cut to the basket. Expect your offense to constantly stall when playing with this guy. Also, don't be surprised when he doesn't run back on defense.

The thing is though, a lot of people don't truly cut enough when they could get an easy layup, open jumphot or good opportunity to drive. I usually play in the post and although it's not like I'm Kareem down there I can still score if I get good position or a mismatch. People don't double team me but a lot of the times they completely lose vision of their man but my teammates don't punish them by moving into an open spot and making themselves open for an easy pass. They just stand in the same spot where if I try to pass it to them it can easily be stolen by their man who can't see them at all.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject:

LOGoods7 wrote:
Supa wrote:

This guy usually wants the ball on every possession, and if he can't score himself he'll hold the ball the whole possession yelling "Cut!". He usually can't dribble, break down defenses, or do anything creative. He will just end up jacking up a bad shot if he doesn't find a teammate making the perfect cut to the basket. Expect your offense to constantly stall when playing with this guy. Also, don't be surprised when he doesn't run back on defense.

The thing is though, a lot of people don't truly cut enough when they could get an easy layup, open jumphot or good opportunity to drive. I usually play in the post and although it's not like I'm Kareem down there I can still score if I get good position or a mismatch. People don't double team me but a lot of the times they completely lose vision of their man but my teammates don't punish them by moving into an open spot and making themselves open for an easy pass. They just stand in the same spot where if I try to pass it to them it can easily be stolen by their man who can't see them at all.
^^This. which is why that write up about the "CUT" guy some what exposes a lot of pick up ballers. they have never been told or trained to cut. so they never do. so it irritates them to be constantly told something they have never done in their lives. "CUT "

lol
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LOGoods7 wrote:
Supa wrote:

^^This. which is why that write up about the "CUT" guy some what exposes a lot of pick up ballers. they have never been told or trained to cut. so they never do. so it irritates them to be constantly told something they have never done in their lives. "CUT "

lol

Communication is key to having good team chemistry but a lot of people won't listen to some random guy shouting orders because of pride; they don't want people thinking they need direction.

Having said that, there still are black holes who do this. They just camp in the paint all game and when they get the ball they hold, hold, hold and never look to pass.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
LOGoods7 wrote:
Supa wrote:

lol

Communication is key to having good team chemistry but a lot of people won't listen to some random guy shouting orders because of pride; they don't want people thinking they need direction.

Having said that, there still are black holes who do this. They just camp in the paint all game and when they get the ball they hold, hold, hold and never look to pass.
this is true. i remember growing up. some random old guy would tell me "cut young buck, cut" and i would listen and cut. received the pass. make the basket and think "wow, that was easy. maybe i should do that again."
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:

21 rules I grew up with:

1st free throw is worth 2, rest are 1
no 3's, no fouls.
after you make it to 21, you then have to shoot a 3 pointer. If you miss, you go back to 15.
Tips, just depends on if other people want to play tips or not. A game with tips can go on for a long, long time.

Cheating is accepted as long as it's against family.
KingKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LOGoods7 wrote:
Supa wrote:

lol

There's a difference between knowing how to play basketball, and thinking that screaming for people to cut means you know how to play basketball.

"We're all surrounded by idiots." - Kobe Bryant
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LOGoods7 wrote:
Supa wrote:

lol

Meh, most people don't know how to pass the ball to cutters. I cut on almost every play, and get found occasionally for the easy basket. The other day I played with a guy that passed me the ball on every cut. It was insane how we chopped up the defense with ease. This is not a typical day though, unless you're coming out and playing with guys you know regularly.

This guy I mentioned wasn't some idiot who demanded the ball, and held it with no intention of passing to anybody but a cutter. That's the one that annoys me. If you don't know what to do with the ball just swing it to somebody who does. Basketball is not supposed to be a forced game. If you're trying to force it to a cutter, you're already cluing in the defense on what you're doing, and most likely it will result in a turnover or bad shot. Ideally you let the game flow naturally. The best connections on cuts to the basket are the ones the defense doesn't expect and/or can't react quick enough to.

The ironic thing is that when I get passed the ball, the first thing I do is actually look for cutters. But, if I see nothing develop, I won't just hold on to the ball like an indecisive idiot.

Here's a link for you.

Now who's exposed!
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Here's a new description since the last one was maybe insufficient.

The Barber -

This guy usually wants the ball on every possession. If he can't score himself he'll purposelessly hold on to the basketball screaming at his teammates to "CUT!", as if it's the only course of action, and as if he's the only one who is allowed to deliver the pass that leads to the basket. He himself usually can't dribble, drive, break down defenses, or do anything creative. Since the defense is set up and already clued in that he's looking to pass to a cutter, he will either end up forcing a horrible pass to a cutting teammate that rarely scores (often getting stolen, deflected, or flying out of bounds), or he will jack up a desperation shot. He will then blame his teammates for the failed possession. Expect your offense to constantly stall when playing with this guy. Also, don't be surprised when he doesn't run back on defense due to his "frustration".

George Karl takes exception to "The Barber".

(Assist to KingKobe for naming this player)

Note - I do believe players should always try to make effective cuts to the basket. I agree with "The Barber" in this sense. Where we disagree is the method. Being a ball-stopper, not trusting your teammates, and forcing the game is not the solution!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Georgie boy at his finest!
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject:

my rules for 21 (we call it taps here)

three pointers are three, all other shots are two. free throws are one. if you hit three in a row, you take the ball at the top of they key.

a one hand tip you go back to zero, two hand tip you lose two points.

once you get 21, you need to hit a three to win. if you miss, you go to 13. if go over 21, you go back to 13.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject:

^ Sounds like tip-in.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ Sounds like tip-in.

maybe it is, but i never heard it referred to as tip-in. we call it taps or 21 around here.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
C M B wrote:
Australian Blackjack

Sometimes there aren't enough players to run a game but there are 3 or 5 of you on the court who want to get some burn.

"Y'all wanna play 21?"

21 it is, you all agree. But one of these guys is either (bleep) nuts or grew up playing some completely alien game of 21. Some of his rules sound totally improvised and zany, and the perpetrator usually states provisions throughout the course of play that make everyone scratch their heads.

"Are we playing tip-outs?" (Rule where if you tip in someone's missed shot, they go back to 0)

"5 and out or 3 and out?" (Caps the number of freethrows after a made basket. When the F is it ever FIVE and out?!)

"If you go over 21 you go back to 15."

"First freethrow is 4 points, first three pointer is 5 points!"

"The person closest to the ball guards the ball!"

"If you miss this 21 shot you outta the game."

I've played "tip-in"(we called it that instead of tip-out) with my cousins and some friends when I was young. It was more about killing time throughout the summer though. I'd never suggest playing it with stranger .

Tip-ins are stupid. Heavily favors big men, and everyone not actively guarding the ball congregates around the basket waiting for the shot to go up. Unless someone hits a hot streak and can't miss, it's almost impossible for anyone to win.
there is no such thing as "tip ins" in 21. thats some house rule made up stuff. lol at "tip ins"

there's only two kinds of 21, thats "21" and "hunch" same basic rules. i THINK, dont quote me on this. hunch is where you can keep shooting from the top of the key on the freethrow(after a made basket) and get 2 points). i think thats the only difference. i may be wrong.

but simple 21 rules are. and this is state to state, world wide, lol.

you have to CLEAR the ball after someone else misses a shot(ft or regular). clearance = 15 ft away all the way around the rim. so if you drew a semi circle from the baseline on the left side back around to the right side of the basket. that would be your invisible clearance line. you dont have to go beyond the 3pt line. but most people do so just to be safe.

ever made basket is worth 2 points. not 1, not 3. not even if you hit a college 3. its only worth 2 points. even the first one.

now when you hit a shot, you get to shoot 3 ft's. BUT on your first FT attempt. if no one else has made a single FT. if you step back to the top of the key(college 3). and hit that shot. thats worth 2 points instead of 1 like the normal ft's from the ft line. after you hit that one shot, you only have 2 more ft's left at the regular line. if you hit all 3 fts. you have to take the ball out at the top. and attempt to score. the guy who guards you is the last person who guarded you when you made the last shot. IF you're the one that misses a shot, you have to guard the person who gets the rebound. thats how it works.

the only way you can win 21. is if you are at 19 pts, and you hit that top of the key (college 3) shot. which is worth 2 pts only on a game winning 21 shot.

here's the trick. if you choose to take the ft instead to get to 20. thats fine. but you cant win by shooting regular ft's all the way up to 21. the last shot has to be a 2 pter. the problem is, if you have more then 19, and you dont hit that game winner. and someone else scores. they can put you back to 15 points. thats why smart guys get to 19 and chuck the big shot to win the game. if they miss you cant put them back. until they score a regular shot again which technically is 21. but you cant win it all until you hit the BIG SHOT. ** now this rule is a house rule to an extent and it depends on if everyone agrees. some people may want to play straight up to keep the games going."

now ya know. so no more of these fake rules "tip ins " lol
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Tip-in and 21 are two separate games just like "hunch" is a separate game from 21.

My only disagreement with your rules is that I always play first to hit 21(or higher) and then you take the 3 for the win. The 3 for the win is to end the game or if you miss and someone else scores, knock you down to 15. I've never played where that shot counts towards your total points.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Tip-in and 21 are two separate games just like "hunch" is a separate game from 21.

My only disagreement with your rules is that I always play first to hit 21(or higher) and then you take the 3 for the win. The 3 for the win is to end the game or if you miss and someone else scores, knock you down to 15. I've never played where that shot counts towards your total points.

I play that way too, except if you miss the 3, you drop back to 15 immediately, even if no one else scores.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I play that way too, except if you miss the 3, you drop back to 15 immediately, even if no one else scores.

Yeah, come to think of it, I think that's the way most of the guys at the gym play.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
The black hole (mix of and1 and pg with no BBIQ)

As a guy who has a strength advantage over most people in the post, I find it extremely frustrating not to get the ball when I'm constantly fighting for post position. I hate all these dudes trying to go iso every damn possession.

Just yesterday I played and we lost the first game 11-6 when I wasn't getting touches offensively and kept watching them throwing up bricks. Then I tell them to feed me in the post for the second game. What happens? We start the game on a 7-0 run with me getting 5 dimes(passing out of the double) and 2 buckets. Amazing how simple it is but some people just have to be the "star" and forget that it's a team game.

I played with an and1 joker once. He was trying to use all kinds of ridiculous and1 dribbles (carries and double-dribbles) and got indignant when people called him for his violations. He finally got frustrated that none of the people at the court were going to let him get away with that nonsense in a game and left.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject:

The black hole.

People who don't talk and get their teammates killed on screens.

People who don't know how to move around the court and create proper spacing.

The turnover prone black hole.

Everything is a foul.

The constant fouler.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject:

The whiner who takes the game so seriously he swears he's an nba player. Doesn't seem to realize its a pick up game.

I play to have fun. Its not a damn nba playoff game, relax. Some players literally think they're michael jordan out there and have the attitude to go with it. Its not that serious.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

here's the trick. if you choose to take the ft instead to get to 20. thats fine. but you cant win by shooting regular ft's all the way up to 21. the last shot has to be a 2 pter. the problem is, if you have more then 19, and you dont hit that game winner. and someone else scores. they can put you back to 15 points. thats why smart guys get to 19 and chuck the big shot to win the game. if they miss you cant put them back. until they score a regular shot again which technically is 21. but you cant win it all until you hit the BIG SHOT. ** now this rule is a house rule to an extent and it depends on if everyone agrees. some people may want to play straight up to keep the games going."

now ya know. so no more of these fake rules "tip ins " lol

If it seems like that is the court rule, I go with it, but I never understood why you didn't have to go all the way to 21.

I figured it was something a guy came up with one day to take the win without having to hit a second "big shot", and somehow it caught on around the globe.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject:

the point guard. jack ass.
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject:

akbroker wrote:
and the one player i absolutely love to play with is this short dude who everyone thinks has no game. but sometimes as an act of kindness (or often the need for numbers) they ask him if he wants to join. he willingly accepts and on the first fast break play, catches everyone by surprise. this dude who was practicing his set shots earlier, just shooting by himself with no fancy dribbling etc, actually plays similar to derrick rose.

and that's one thing i learned on the playground. that is to never judge a book by its cover. dudes who look like they can dunk between the legs, turn out to be terrible. while the quiet and unpretentious kid ends up schooling everyone.

I've done that before.

I was 14 and I was around 6ft 2. A bunch of high school kids were looking for a filler, just a body so the numbers were equal. I don't know what the hell was wrong with me that day, I was still a scrub back then, but I was blocking shots, scoring mid range and scoring on the post, everybody was looking at me like I was the next Michael Jordan.

I still sucked though.

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject:

Re: 21
I've always played where...
- Regular FGs are 1 point. 3-pointers are 2 points.
- No fouls (to an extent)
- No out-of-bounds.
- If you miss a shot, you guard the guy who gets the board.
- Double-teams are fine.
- Clear everything (except your own miss) to the 3-point line (or 15-feet away in any direction, like PnP said), not just to the top of the key.
- Free backs (no defense is played after a rebound on the way to clearing it)
- The very first FT made of the game (after the 1st score of the game) is 2. The rest are 1.
- You have to end on 21. You can't go over. If you go over, back to 15.
- After you reach 21, you have to "prove it" by hitting a 3. If you hit it, you win. If you miss, and someone else scores (after it's been cleared, so no tip-ins) back to 15.

Mike@LG wrote:

People who don't know how to move around the court and create proper spacing.

This.
Spacing, spacing, spacing. The game is so much more fun when you play with people who understand spacing.
It's funny - in basketball, the majority of time is spent playing without the ball - yet so few people are aware of what to do when they don't have it (for example, setting off-ball screens on the weakside).

You can always tell who the smart players are because they know what to do when they don't have the ball.

Dominator wrote:

I played with an and1 joker once. He was trying to use all kinds of ridiculous and1 dribbles (carries and double-dribbles) and got indignant when people called him for his violations. He finally got frustrated that none of the people at the court were going to let him get away with that nonsense in a game and left.

That happened to me too...

I was playing with about 20 guys on the regular, then one morning, some And1 dude shows up and the very first time he touched the ball, he immediately started doing this ridiculous carying/traveling/dribbling thing. We all looked at each other and just busted out laughing at him! I mean, it was beyond ridiculous stuff, but he was dead serious. He got so mad! He yelled out "Venice All-Stars, be-yatches!" and stormed off the court! One of the funniest bball moments ever.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: