Kobe on ESPN radio: "I think I have 3, maybe 4 years left. As long as I keep wanting to play"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8143446
RMoose
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
I don't think he'll need 4 years to do it. Not if we can make deep playoff runs.

playoff pts dont count.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Always said it, Kobe wants Kareems record. That's something NO OTHER player can attain. Sure Durant or LBJ can target it BUT will they play long enough to do it?
I think KD can get it. LBJ will have to change the way he plays to have the longevity required to do the same IMO.
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Damn. So basically what Kobe meant is that he'd still be playing at the age of 40+ if he wanted to. Wow. I hope Kobe's desire and hunger for rings stay for 10 more years....
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Watson wrote:
It's against CBA rules to be both an owner and player at the same time.

But easily circumvented.

That rule was in existence when Magic, who owned a 5% of the Lakers, came out of retirement in 1995. Magic technically sold his share back to Dr. Buss and bought it back when he retired again. Obviously, it was a paper job to satisfy the league office. I doubt if there was ever an exchange of real money.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject:

At 38-39 minutes per game, I'd worry about Kobe's legs at the end of the next 4 years.

I'm hoping the addition of Nash allows Kobe to keep his scoring in the 25-28 point range, improve his FG%, and allow him to get down to 32-33 min per game during the regular season for the next 3 years. Then perhaps, Kobe will have enough left in the tank to go 6 years and have a realistic chance of blistering the record book and most importantly, win more rings.

If Brown and Mitch screws this up by poor rotations (playing the starters too many minutes) and not building a strong bench, I'll be seriously pissed. I think Mitch will work out his end, but I have less confidence in Brown to hold his side of the deal.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Kobe can break Kareem's record in just 3-4 years. He can average 27-28 points next year and maybe even the year after, but certainly not after that when he turns 36. At this point of his career he's acheived all the individual accolades he could possibly get. Winning a 6th NBA title and 2nd gold medal will do more for his legacy.
kobedagoat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I don't think Kobe can break Kareem's record in just 3-4 years. He can average 27-28 points next year and maybe even the year after, but certainly not after that when he turns 36. At this point of his career he's acheived all the individual accolades he could possibly get. Winning a 6th NBA title and 2nd gold medal will do more for his legacy.

If he plays 5 years the title is his
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe "27.2"

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
That is what Kobe will need to average each season 27.2 pts per game for the next 4 years (assuming he is healthy to play all 82 games) to eclipse Kareem's record of most point - 38,387 career pts.

Can Steve Nash make this a reality?

Discuss

Could easily happen. He averaged 27.9 ppg this year on low FG%. Hopefully Nash will allow him to score easier
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Always said it, Kobe wants Kareems record. That's something NO OTHER player can attain. Sure Durant or LBJ can target it BUT will they play long enough to do it?
I think KD can get it. LBJ will have to change the way he plays to have the longevity required to do the same IMO.

Durant definitely can... He's got 3 scoring titles at age 23... And I agree about LeBron.... relies way too much on pure physical ability. His game will start to diminish as he gets into his early 30's. Durant has a style that's conducive to playing at a high level for a long time.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Durant definitely can... He's got 3 scoring titles at age 23... And I agree about LeBron.... relies way too much on pure physical ability. His game will start to diminish as he gets into his early 30's. Durant has a style that's conducive to playing at a high level for a long time.
not true about durant. his team also is a speed team running up and down the floor like crazy. he wont be moving like that in his 30's. thats for sure. which means he will have to rely on his jumper. because he doesnt have a ton of moves to get to the basket without screens and fast break points. he doesnt have a post game(yet).

kobe had these things very early in his career. he was playing old man basketball like 3 yrs in, while he still had the athletic ability to boot.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
why just 6 rings? i say nash rides off into the sunset with 3, and kobe has 8. and kareem's scoring title.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: