Report: Howard Willing to Sign New Contract with Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I do think the Lakers will wait until September if it means getting Howard. They've been in this for almost a year even when they weren't front runners or sure Dwight would stay. Now Dwight's given that green light and they pull out because Dwight's GM ain't playing ball? I doubt it. Especially since they know they are dealing with a rookie GM who wants to wait, wait, and wait some more to make sure it's the right deal. Mitch worked on the Gasol deal for a year. He is arguably the most patient GM in the league.

Bynum pretty much has to know now that he's part of a 3-way trade to get Howard and plan B is to re-sign him to an extension. I have my doubts Drew even wants to stay with the Lakers after all of this. Especially with word coming out that he's interested in being a Cav next to Irving and being coached by Byron Scott.

The Lakers have already said publicly that they will move on extension talks with Bynum very soon here. Have you ever heard the Lakers say something like that and then not follow through? They don't do that.

They're not waiting until September.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject:

The deal is a 3-way, revgen. LA has been talking to Houston and CLE for a while. Don't think Mitch doesn't know what ORL wants. That's what he's working on to get. After a certain time I'm sure he says okay this guy just isn't interested in making a deal (Hennigan). But I don't think that's now, especially right after Howard said he'll re-sign/extend with LA. Now more than ever I see Mitch being ultra aggressive in getting this done. And Bynum's agent has nothing to do but wait, because like Lopez he is the team's plan B. This is how the NBA works.

Quote:
The Lakers have already said publicly that they will move on extension talks with Bynum very soon here. Have you ever heard the Lakers say something like that and then not follow through? They don't do that.

Of course they will. Like I said, the extension will happen eventually for Drew.

I just don't agree it has to happen or LA will put a limit on themselves by saying it needs to happen by say 1 more week. Especially now with Howard is willing to commit longterm. Now more than ever, they want to get this done. If it takes a few weeks longer, so be it. Certainly I think at some point LA says - this is not happening, Hennigan doesn't want to make a deal before the season. But I don't think they make that decision so fast, they have Bynum on contract and can offer him an extension at any point in July, August, September and even October. The Nets didn't want teams to offer Lopez offer sheets so July 11 or so was their deadline. This is a different scenario, I think LA can afford to wait a bit longer. A month even.

But hey many of you were bashing Dwight saying he was "afraid" to be a Laker. And his back is ending his career. LA just kept on pursuing him. They've wanted this guy for too long to let this go now and put pressure on Hennigan that he has shown he'll pass on (See Nets). While fans go back and forth on Howard, LA has been consistent. They want him and will keep negotiating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject:

I posted this in the big trade thread, but it got lost in all the Twitter hoopla. I figure this is a better place to put it:

I've been waiting for Jarrod Rudolph to chime in since BKN removed themselves from the Dwight sweepstakes. I don't value his analysis, but I do value his insight into Dwight's thoughts and feelings since he appears to be very connected to Howard and his camp. With Dwight establishing the Lakers as his new #1 destination, half the battle is won. However, I'm sure that Hennigan is going to make things as difficult as possible.

It would be great if Howard gets traded to us by the end of the week. However, I think Orlando is going to at least wait until Houston knows what its payroll is going to be before making any serious decisions on where to move Howard. Unless Cleveland gives Orlando an offer it can't refuse, I don't see Howard getting traded any earlier than late next week. Orlando may need to get Houston and Cleveland in a bidding war for Bynum so that the Magic can get the most assets back that it can.

The thing that's tricky is that Cleveland doesn't seem to understand how trades are supposed to work. They've passed up on trades due to an unhealthy esteem for their young players. However, they did give us Sessions for Luke and a 1st, so we might be able to get something done still. Houston, on the other hand, has a lot to be happy about after watching their young guns tear up the summer league. They aren't going to want to give up much especially if they feel they are "settling" for Drew. With that being said, they might be amenable to paying a relatively high price for Drew in exchange for his long-term commitment.

We'll see how this all plays out. I just don't expect things to be wrapped up nicely within the next couple of days. With Howard's mouthpiece claiming that LA is the place Dwight wants to be, I'm pretty sure that Dwight will put enough doubt in Houston's mind that they probably won't risk trading for Dwight. Let's just hope that either Cleveland or Houston appreciates the value of being able to get a center of Drew's caliber for a long period of time.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The deal is a 3-way, revgen. LA has been talking to Houston and CLE for a while. Don't think Mitch doesn't know what ORL wants. That's what he's working on to get. After a certain time I'm sure he says okay this guy just isn't interested in making a deal (Hennigan). But I don't think that's now, especially right after Howard said he'll re-sign/extend with LA. Now more than ever I see Mitch being ultra aggressive in getting this done. And Bynum's agent has nothing to do but wait, because like Lopez he is the team's plan B. This is how the NBA works.

Quote:

Of course they will. Like I said, the extension will happen eventually for Drew.

I just don't agree it has to happen or LA will put a limit on themselves by saying it needs to happen by say 1 more week. Especially now with Howard is willing to commit longterm. Now more than ever, they want to get this done. If it takes a few weeks longer, so be it. Certainly I think at some point LA says - this is not happening, Hennigan doesn't want to make a deal before the season. But I don't think they make that decision so fast, they have Bynum on contract and can offer him an extension at any point in July, August, September and even October. The Nets didn't want teams to offer Lopez offer sheets so July 11 or so was their deadline. This is a different scenario, I think LA can afford to wait a bit longer. A month even.

But hey many of you were bashing Dwight saying he was "afraid" to be a Laker. And his back is ending his career. LA just kept on pursuing him. They've wanted this guy for too long to let this go now and put pressure on Hennigan that he has shown he'll pass on (See Nets). While fans go back and forth on Howard, LA has been consistent. They want him and will keep negotiating.

I hope Hennigan isn't foolish enough to drag this out for another month or even longer. The wildcard in all this is if other teams come out of the wood-works to prevent Howard from getting traded to the Lakers. However, as of right now, we know all the players at the table - Orlando, LA, Houston and Cleveland. It really shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to negotiate and get a deal done.

With that being said, I wouldn't put it past Hennigan to drag this out. However, I do agree that with Dwight's reported commitment to staying in LA if traded here, this likely means that the Lakers are going to stick this out for much longer than originally intended. Before today, I figured the Lakers would withdraw from the Howard talks by no later than the end of next week. Now, I'm not so sure...
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

1) And don't think Mitch doesn't underestimate Bynum's agent. Bynum is likely the one who just wants to sign the extension and not go through FA negotiations. His agent is the one who will push for 5 years and a no-trade clause. If the Lakers refuse to meet with Drew and his agent, his agent will have Drew's ear and attention.

2) And after a certain time Bynum's agent may be able to convince Bynum to forget the extension and head to free-agency, especially if he feels that the Lakers have lost any possibility of getting Dwight.

3) Howard never said that he'd extend with LA. Only that he'd resign at the end of the season. Howard's track record of keeping promises in recent months has been rather lousy. Telling Orlando fans that he wanted to be in Orlando after he opted in and then changing his mind soon after.

4) Mitch can be as super-aggressive as he wants, but I don't see him acquiring the cap-room or draft picks necessary to compete with Houston.

5) Bynum's agent will certainly wait. He'll wait until the Lakers have lost any leverage in the Dwight deal or if Dwight is traded somewhere else. Then he'll try to convince Bynum to wait until the end of the season to shake the Lakers' down for more money than what they could have gotten through an extension plus a no-trade clause.
boloflexus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject:

Kinda curious... assuming the Bulls don't match Asik's contract, (very likely IMO)

1. What is Houston's current cap situation like?

2. If you are Hennigan, what do you demand of Houston and what contracts do you look to send back?

3. Supposing Houston meets Orlando's trade demands, what is Houston's cap situation like going into the 2013 offseason... and what moves can be made to convince Howard to stay beyond that?

I ask these because I don't think Houston will be in any position whatsoever to convince Howard to stay after dealing with the Magic.. since they might be cap strapped by at least two bad contracts from Orlando.. along with J Lin and Asik, who are both overpaid IMO.

Correct me if I am wrong but in my opinion, Houston is pretty much out of the picture unless they want Bynum or truly just want to rent Howard for one year at the expense of a lot of their bright young talent and future assets.

(Dreamshake, feel free to provide some clarity)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject:

malicious_intent wrote:
do you think this time warner deal has anything to do with how aggressive our fo has been?

I think that deal allows them to be more flexible and more willing to venture deeper into the luxury tax. I also believe the front office is willing to take a terrible tax hit for only a couple of years (until Kobe, Pau & Metta's contracts all end in 2 years) if it means they have a fantastic shot at two more championships!
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject:

boloflexus wrote:
Kinda curious... assuming the Bulls don't match Asik's contract, (very likely IMO)

2. If you are Hennigan, what do you demand of Houston and what contracts do you look to send back?

3. Supposing Houston meets Orlando's trade demands, what is Houston's cap situation like going into the 2013 offseason... and what moves can be made to convince Howard to stay beyond that?

I ask these because I don't think Houston will be in any position whatsoever to convince Howard to stay after dealing with the Magic.. since they might be cap strapped by at least two bad contracts from Orlando.. along with J Lin and Asik, who are both overpaid IMO.

Correct me if I am wrong but in my opinion, Houston is pretty much out of the picture unless they want Bynum or truly just want to rent Howard for one year at the expense of a lot of their bright young talent and future assets.

They have about as much chance of keeping Howard as LA would have. They'll have his bird rights and they'll have the advantage of knowing that all major-market teams except Dallas are over the cap. Houston itself is the 4th largest city in the US, so it would count as a major-market. On top of that, they still have a large fanbase from China due to Yao's tenure and with Lin coming aboard which will offer marketing opportunities for Dwight to extend his "brand" around the world, especially to the asian markets.

It's not quite the same as the lifetime Adidas contract he may have gotten if he went to Brooklyn, but it may be enough to keep him in Houston long-term.

Houston's major advantage over LA in this scenario is the draft picks and young pieces. Until we seriously up the ante, we're not going to come close to offering what they can offer to Orlando.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject:

boloflexus wrote:

I answered you in the trade thread, but here's a cliff notes version:

- Before signing Lin and Asik, Houston could have potentially taken Hedo and either JRich or Davis off Orlando's hands.

- Even with Lin and Asik signing, Houston can still take Hedo + a small contract (Duhon, QRich), JRich + Davis or either Davis or JRich + 1 or 2 of the smaller contracts (Duhon, QRich). Houston would only be unable to take on Hedo + either JRich or Davis.

- Still, it's questionable how far Houston will be willing to go in terms of giving up prospects, draftees and picks and taking on bad contracts. I really think Orlando is trying to unload 2 out of 3 amongst Hedo, JRich and Davis. I can't see Houston doing that on their own. Orlando may very well have to engage in a 3-way deal with the Lakers to get this done.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
boloflexus wrote:

They have about as much chance of keeping Howard as LA would have. They'll have his bird rights and they'll have the advantage of knowing that all major-market teams except Dallas are over the cap. Houston itself is the 4th largest city in the US, so it would count as a major-market. On top of that, they still have a large fanbase from China due to Yao's tenure and with Lin coming aboard which will offer marketing opportunities for Dwight to extend his "brand" around the world, especially to the asian markets.

It's not quite the same as the lifetime Adidas contract he may have gotten if he went to Brooklyn, but it may be enough to keep him in Houston long-term.

Houston's major advantage over LA in this scenario is the draft picks and young pieces. Until we seriously up the ante, we're not going to come close to offering what they can offer to Orlando.

I think you're wrong here. Houston may be the 4th largest market in the US, but it certainly doesn't compare to the likes of NY, LA or even Chicago. It simply isn't viewed in the same way as these other cities. I think he's FAR more likely to walk away from Houston than LA based on multiple reasons, but the two biggest would be:

1) Houston's lack of perceived "big market" status

2) The clearly inferior roster that Dwight would be surrounding with in Houston as opposed to what he'd have in LA.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
revgen wrote:
boloflexus wrote:

I think you're wrong here. Houston may be the 4th largest market in the US, but it certainly doesn't compare to the likes of NY, LA or even Chicago. It simply isn't viewed in the same way as these other cities. I think he's FAR more likely to walk away from Houston than LA based on multiple reasons, but the two biggest would be:

2) The clearly inferior roster that Dwight would be surrounding with in Houston as opposed to what he'd have in LA.

1) Houston is not a small market despite the so-called "perception". The addition of the Asian market who have a vested interest in the team due to Yao's tenure and Lin's signing also improves the marketing opportunities for Dwight beyond Houston itself, which you conveniently fail to mention in your rebuttal.

2) LA's superior roster has a small window. If Kobe, Nash, Jamison, and Pau are all gone after 2 or 3 years, what roster will Dwight be playing with? He'll be 29 or 30 years old with scrubs surrounding him. Houston's talent may be young and developing, but at least they have talent and they'll be around for awhile.
boloflexus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject:

The marketing opportunities in Houston would still not compare to what it would be like for Dwight in LA.. I think you are forgetting the hollywood element to all of this.

Marketing aside, Dwight wants to win now rather than be part of a rebuilding effort. If that wasn't the case he would commit to disneyland. If Houston deals for him, I doubt Howard would want to spend the rest of his prime playing with Jeremy Lin as the point guard.

With the kind of contracts Houston takes back if they do a deal with Orlando along with the commitments they have already made to Asik and Lin.. .my biggest question would be, will they have enough room to sign CP3 in addition to Howard?

That question assumes CP3 would like to leave LA and that himself, Dwight and not much else would be enough to win a championship. Longshot IMO.

If Dwight is dealt to Houston, Atlanta becomes a better option for Dwight in 2013.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject:

boloflexus wrote:
The marketing opportunities in Houston would still not compare to what it would be like for Dwight in LA.. I think you are forgetting the hollywood element to all of this.

Marketing aside, Dwight wants to win now rather than be part of a rebuilding effort. If that wasn't the case he would commit to disneyland. If Houston deals for him, I doubt Howard would want to spend the rest of his prime playing with Jeremy Lin as the point guard.

With the kind of contracts Houston takes back if they do a deal with Orlando along with the commitments they have already made to Asik and Lin.. .my biggest question would be, will they have enough room so sign CP3 in addition to Howard?

That question assumes CP3 would like to leave LA and that himself, Dwight and not much else would be enough to win a championship. Longshot IMO.

If Dwight is dealt to Houston, Atlanta becomes a better option for Dwight in 2013.

Dwight definitely would want to be in Hollywood speaking English than speaking Chinese in Houston, but that's not the point.

The point is would he leave Houston at the end of the season and go somewhere else despite Houston's market, the Rocket's reach to the Asian market and the fact that Houston has his bird rights? No. He wouldn't. He'd have to move to a smaller market to get a max offer. All the large markets except Dallas are over the cap. Then again, nothing Dwight does seems to follow logic anyway so you can't be sure.

Houston has the advantage in terms of attracting the Magic with it's ability to take on bad contracts and deliver prospects and picks. LA does not.

If Dwight wanted to go to Atlanta, Jarrod Rudolph would have told us already.
boloflexus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject:

Okay..if I am Orlando... this is the deal I do with Houston (just by speculation)... Lamb, Royce, K Martin, Monte-Jounis (sp), 2013 Toronto 1st pick, 2014 Houston 1st pick

For Dwight, G Davis and J Rich

Now this is the team Dwight has to commit to going forward...

C- Dwight, Asik
F- T Jones, G Davis, M Morris
F- Chandler, Hedo
G- J Rich, ?
G- Lin, ?

Forget marketing to Asians.... can CP3 join us? If not, start acting like a drama queen again and force my way to Brooklyn or LA (for Bynum)...otherwise I move back home to Atlanta with my boy Josh Smith and where there is enough cap space to sign CP3. Worst case, Dallas is also appealing.

If Houston forces him to be somewhere he doesn't want to be, then Houston is in for a loooooong season... whether or not Morey learned anything from Orlando this past season is another story.. but ahhhh well..
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject:

boloflexus wrote:
Okay..if I am Orlando... this is the deal I do with Houston (just by speculation)... Lamb, Royce, K Martin, Monte-Jounis (sp), 2013 Toronto 1st pick, 2014 Houston 1st pick

For Dwight, G Davis and J Rich

Now this is the team Dwight has to commit to going forward...

C- Dwight, Asik
F- T Jones, G Davis, M Morris
F- Chandler, Hedo
G- J Rich, ?
G- Lin, ?

Forget marketing to Asians.... can CP3 join us? If not, start acting like a drama queen again and force my way to Brooklyn or LA (for Bynum)...otherwise I move back home to Atlanta with my boy Josh Smith and where there is enough cap space to sign CP3. Worst case, Dallas is also appealing.

Lin has shown flashes of being an all-star in NY. Especially when paired with a P&R big man (Chandler in NY, Howard in Houston if Dwight goes there), which is what Houston is betting on.

If all goes well, Howard might even stick around if Houston's plan works out.
boloflexus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:

Lin is soooo overrated IMO... I can mention 15 point guards I KNOW are better than him... including Ramon Sessions

I will never forget what Miami did to him before the all-star break... to me he's still a solid back-up point guard at best.. not sure if he has much of a ceiling but I guess time will tell
boloflexus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject:

Oh yeah.. and Lin would only make the all-star team because the whole of Asia voted for him.... on skill level alone... it would never happen!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject:

Hopefully, this will all be resovled by Friday, so we can all enjoy our weekend...!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Let's see if Andrew is a man of his word. He said he'll play anywhere, here's his chance to prove it. He's the one holding up the trade because he won't commit to a long term deal.

It's rumored Dwight has had a change of heart. He sees him options shrinking. Los Angeles is the best deal on the table. I think he'll sign a extention.

He had a chance to sign a extention here. I don' know who stalled the signing but if he was the one he made a mistake.

The Lakers are in the cat birds seat so to speak. They're one of the few left with the means to make the trade happen. They don't hve to submit to Orlands demands. Orlando knows it's running out of options and time.

I think they missed a good deal with NJ with the acquisition of Lopez and three first round picks and contract dumps.

Andrew may be another Aiza, Odom deal gone bad for the player. He'll get paid but no cigar. He left the chance to light up in Los Angeles.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakeshow'80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Let's see if Andrew is a man of his word. He said he'll play anywhere, here's his chance to prove it. He's the one holding up the trade because he won't commit to a long term deal.

It's rumored Dwight has had a change of heart. He sees him options shrinking. Los Angeles is the best deal on the table. I think he'll sign a extention.

He had a chance to sign a extention here. I don' know who stalled the signing but if he was the one he made a mistake.

The Lakers are in the cat birds seat so to speak. They're one of the few left with the means to make the trade happen. They don't hve to submit to Orlands demands. Orlando knows it's running out of options and time.

I think they missed a good deal with NJ with the acquisition of Lopez and three first round picks and contract dumps.

Andrew may be another Aiza, Odom deal gone bad for the player. He'll get paid but no cigar. He left the chance to light up in Los Angeles.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject:

This trade is going to take a longer time than posters have to keep on posting blah, blah, rumors, tweeters, sites, quotes. It can take another 3 or 4 weeks to happen if it does cause Orlando is holding this up so they can dump Richardson or Turkaglue, yes I call him Glue cause he's terrible, if Lakers get anyone with Dwight I'd rather have Richardson.

But for sure Orlando is holding this or any deal up, along with Drew's decision to extend to whatever team he's heading to???

There will probably be 20,000 more posts before this deal gets done???
chahnee
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: So many rumors and news about Dwight Howord

You guys! Check out this site that I made to get live updated news about Dwight, Kobe, and Lakers. I'm pretty sure you will like it.

http://www.sportaku.com/NBA/Player/Dwight_Howard/3872
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
revgen wrote:
boloflexus wrote:

1) Houston is not a small market despite the so-called "perception". The addition of the Asian market who have a vested interest in the team due to Yao's tenure and Lin's signing also improves the marketing opportunities for Dwight beyond Houston itself, which you conveniently fail to mention in your rebuttal.

2) LA's superior roster has a small window. If Kobe, Nash, Jamison, and Pau are all gone after 2 or 3 years, what roster will Dwight be playing with? He'll be 29 or 30 years old with scrubs surrounding him. Houston's talent may be young and developing, but at least they have talent and they'll be around for awhile.

You're reaching big time. I know that Houston isn't a small market, but it doesn't have the perception of being a large market like NY or LA. I bet most people were surprised to find that Houston is the 4th largest market in the US. That state of surprise would exist if Houston was regarded in the same way as LA, NY and CHI.

If I'm Dwight, I'll take the opportunity to play for a championship in my early prime for the next 2-3 seasons rather than waste 2-3 seasons of my prime waiting for Houston to build a contender. In fact, there's no guarantee that Houston will be better than the Lakers in 2015 or 2016.

It sounds like your trying to play the devil's advocate. However, you're going to have to do a lot better to convince anyone that Houston is just as desirable and advantageous for Dwight to play for as opposed to LA. We haven't even brought up the bonus that Dwight would receive from Addidas for playing in a large market (NY, LA, CHI). I don't think Houston is included in that agreement.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
revgen wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
revgen wrote:
boloflexus wrote:

You're reaching big time. I know that Houston isn't a small market, but it doesn't have the perception of being a large market like NY or LA. I bet most people were surprised to find that Houston is the 4th largest market in the US. That state of surprise would exist if Houston was regarded in the same way as LA, NY and CHI.

If I'm Dwight, I'll take the opportunity to play for a championship in my early prime for the next 2-3 seasons rather than waste 2-3 seasons of my prime waiting for Houston to build a contender. In fact, there's no guarantee that Houston will be better than the Lakers in 2015 or 2016.

It sounds like your trying to play the devil's advocate. However, you're going to have to do a lot better to convince anyone that Houston is just as desirable and advantageous for Dwight to play for as opposed to LA. We haven't even brought up the bonus that Dwight would receive from Addidas for playing in a large market (NY, LA, CHI). I don't think Houston is included in that agreement.

1) I'm "reaching", yet you're the one who continues to avoid acknowledging the access to the Asian market that Dwight would have if he moved here. You keep grasping at straws to prove your argument while I present facts to the table.

2) Dwight can't "take" any opportunities. He has no control over where he's traded, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up. He can't choose Hollywood over Houston. Only Orlando can.

3) It sounds to me like you've run out of any substantive arguments to bring to the table so you resort to words like "perception" and "devil's advocate" and "you're reaching big time" to plug up the holes.

Dwight isn't going to come to LA over Houston in 2013 if he's not going to get max money. Simple as that. Houston will have his bird rights and we'll be over the cap in the 2013 offseason. You think he's going to come here for the mini-MLE just because he'll be in Hollywood?

The chances that he goes to a small-market for a max contract in 2013 and leave the opportunities that are available in Houston behind isn't very likely either.
aticusCL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject:

ESPN is reporting the initial reports of him willing to sign an extension are false...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8182883/agent-dwight-howard-sign-extension-team-explore-free-agency
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: