Lakers in the News 8/6/12: NBA Rumors: Lakers Looking to Sign Kenyon Martin, Jodie Meeks or Leandro Barbosa?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 8/6/12: NBA Rumors: Lakers Looking to Sign Kenyon Martin, Jodie Meeks or Leandro Barbosa?

Quote:
Kobe Bryant open to playing in Europe after Lakers retirement
The United States' Kobe Bryant slips past Lithuania's Jonas Valanciunas in the second half of a London Olympics basketball game. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times / August 4, 2012)

By Mark Medina

August 6, 2012, 9:09 a.m.
At some point in the near future, the Lakers and Kobe Bryant will officially part ways. The Lakers will hold a retirement ceremony in honor of one of the best players in the organization's history. Laker fans will express appreciation for a superstar who managed to maximize his superb talent through a litany of injuries, heavy basketball mileage and contemporaries eager to surpass his play. And Bryant will gush over it all, enjoying that his career resume will include at least five NBA championships, at least a fifth place on the NBA's all-time scoring list and recognition as the Laker franchise's leading scorer.

That may mark the end of Bryant's time in Los Angeles with the Lakers. But it won't necessarily mean he'll have finished playing. Bryant recently told Yahoo! Sports that he'd consider playing at least a season in Europe once he ends his NBA career.

"It would be natural for me to go do it," Bryant said in the article. "It wouldn't be a stretch at all. I grew up" in Europe.

That's one of many reasons why such a possibility might happen. His father, Joe Bryant, played in Italy for several years while Kobe was a child. He speaks Italian and Spanish. Bryant's a huge fan of soccer, particularly of FC Barcelona and his favorite player, Lionel Messi. Bryant often vacations in Europe during the off-season. The Italian League's Virtus Bologna and Bryant discussed possibly acquiring his services during last year's NBA lockout, though a deal never took place. During that time though, Bryant still visited Italy as part of his Nike tour. While he pursues his second gold medal in the 2012 London Olympics, Bryant appears to be receiving the warmest reception among members of Team USA.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-kobe-bryant-open-to-playing-in-europe-after-retirement-20120806,0,5754225.story

Last edited by Cha*n on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers’ Kobe Bryant may finish career in Europe

Kobe Bryant left open the possibility of finishing his career in Europe, where he dad played professionally. (Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images)

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, who spent part of his childhood in Europe while his dad played basketball professionally in Italy, may finish his career overseas, he told Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski.

Bryant has two years left on his current contract with the Lakers. After that, he has said he would consider retirement. But in his interview with Wojnarowski, he left open the possibility of playing a year in Europe.

“It would be natural for me to go do it,” Bryant told Wojnarowski. “It wouldn’t be a stretch at all. I grew up here.”

…”You’d have to look at the market and what’s going on in terms of the level of basketball being played,” Bryant said. “I understand there’s a high level of competitive basketball in Turkey now. They might have the best league in Europe. Spain has obviously been one of the top leagues for a long time.

“And Italy is a place that’s dear in my heart, I grew up there, but the level is not where it used to be. When I was growing up over there, that was the best league in Europe.”

http://tracking.si.com/2012/08/06/lakers-kobe-bryant-finish-career-europe/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Kenyon Martin Considering Nets, Lakers

By Dylan Murphy

Kenyon Martin, Dime #3

Kenyon Martin has bounced around the League (and the world) the last couple of years, going from Denver to China and then to the Clippers in 2012. Martin is a free agent once again this offseason, hoping to find a home and some consistent playing time after helping the Clippers reach the second round of the playoffs. Now it seems Martin has narrowed his choices down two, with only the Lakers and Nets in the mix. Here’s more from SI‘s Sam Amick:

“Kenyon Martin, meanwhile, isn’t so lucky. The 12-year veteran was a key reserve for the Clippers, his impact going way beyond his marginal numbers (5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds) for a team that reached the second round of the playoffs for the second time in franchise history. But sources said the 34-year-old power forward is holding up this later stage of the hiring process for frontcourt free agents, with the Lakers and the Nets among the teams he’s considering and negotiation leverage seemingly gone because so many of his colleagues seem willing to take minimum deals.”

http://dimemag.com/2012/08/report-kenyon-martin-considering-nets-lakers/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Report: Kenyon Martin talking to Nets, Lakers

Kurt Helin

Aug 6, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT

Things haven’t really changed that much on the Kenyon Martin front — he wants to get paid, not the league minimum but real money. And that’s not out there.

The Knicks might want him back at the minimum, but that’s not who Martin is talking to, according to Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.

Kenyon Martin, meanwhile, isn’t so lucky. The 12-year veteran was a key reserve for the Clippers, his impact going way beyond his marginal numbers (5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds) for a team that reached the second round of the playoffs for the second time in franchise history. But sources said the 34-year-old power forward is holding up this later stage of the hiring process for frontcourt free agents, with the Lakers and the Nets among the teams he’s considering and negotiation leverage seemingly gone because so many of his colleagues seem willing to take minimum deals.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/report-kenyon-martin-talking-to-nets-lakers/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Pau Gasol: Hay que ponerse las pilas, desde el primero al último del equipo

04:47 pm 06-Ago de 2012|EFE

El ala-pívot afirmó que España jugó un partido "muy inconsistente" y que volvió a compaginar momentos "de gran dominio y juego" con otros en los que parecían "no estar en ninguna parte"

Los hermanos Gasol en Londres 2012 | AFP

Pau Gasol hizo autocrítica tras la derrota de este lunes frente a Brasil y dijo que todos los jugadores de la selección española de baloncesto, "desde el primero hasta al último", deben "ponerse las pilas" en vistas a la fase decisiva del campeonato olímpico.

Preguntado por Efe acerca de cómo se explica la actuación del equipo en el último periodo, donde encajó un parcial de 16-31 tras ir por delante el resto del partido, el jugador de Los Ángeles Lakers dijo: "Cómo se explica eso, cómo se explican un par de cuartos contra Rusia, el último contra Gran Bretaña, el primero contra China... Esto no es algo puntual y me preocupa".

"Estamos en un punto crucial del campeonato y hay que ponerse las pilas desde ya, desde el primero al último del equipo", añadió.

Sobre la intensidad con la que se disputó el choque, indicó: "No sé, esto no es una coincidencia. No sucede porque sí. Es un poco decepcionante que esto sea así a estas alturas. Hay que intentar corregirlo porque ahora empieza realmente la fase decisiva del campeonato. Hay que ser positivos, un poco críticos también, y tratar de jugar nuestro mejor nivel".

http://www.el-nacional.com/noticia/45638/2/pau-gasol-hay-que-ponerse-las-pilas-desde-el-primero-al-ultimo-del-equipo.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Editorial comment:

Kenyon Martin + Metta World Peace = Kaboom!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Rumors: Lakers Looking to Sign Kenyon Martin, Jodie Meeks or Leandro Barbosa?
By Alex Groberman, Mon, August 06, 2012

In an effort to make their already solid bench even deeper, the Los Angeles Lakers are looking into signing Kenyon Martin, Jodie Meeks or Leandro Barbosa.

It was widely reported last week that L.A. was also taking a serious look at C.J. Miles, however, the former Utah Jazz swingman decided to go in a different direction and ink a deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

You’ll recall, when this summer first began, the Lakers got absolutely destroyed by everyone for their admittedly awful bench. What a difference a couple of months can make, though.

The league’s most underrated front office executive, Mitch Kupchak, somehow managed to turn the weakest reserve group around into one of the deepest while nobody was paying attention.

By re-signing Jordan Hill and Devin Ebanks, and then adding Antawn Jamison, Kupchak was able to address all of L.A.’s bench weaknesses without really spending an insane amount of cash. Everyone got good deals, but good deals that will be off the books when Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash call it quits.

The only thing this team lacks right now is a three-point shooter off the bench, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to see how they can fill that void. Brandon Rush re-signed with the Golden State Warriors, Rashard Lewis inked a deal with the Miami Heat, and Jodie Meeks, while still available, didn’t really have the greatest three-point shooting year in 2011-12. Technically, he’s a shooter – but he’s a shooter who shot 37 percent from behind the arc last year. That’s a noticeable decline from the 40 percent he shot just one season earlier.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nba/nba-rumors-lakers-looking-sign-kenyon-martin-jodie-meeks-or-leandro-barbosa
ADKLaketrout
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Editorial comment:

Kenyon Martin + Metta World Peace = Kaboom!

Yup.
reika-zu
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Kenyon Martin? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There's few players I would absolutely detest having on the Lakers.

One of them is Kenyon. Dumber than a box of rocks.
9-0-9
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born in Redlands,California but Reside in Houston,TX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject:

In order of who'd I'd rather have

Barbosa
Martin
Meeks

I say Barbosa because we DESPERATELY need some backup for Kobe. I believe that if Barbosa would sign with us, he'd give us that help. Meeks I'd rather do without. Martin falls 2nd because Hill,Martin,Jamison,Ebanks,Blake/Glock isn't so bad of a 2nd unit...
utcahoop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
NBA Rumors: Lakers Looking to Sign Kenyon Martin, Jodie Meeks or Leandro Barbosa?

In an effort to make their already solid bench even deeper, the Los Angeles Lakers are looking into signing Kenyon Martin, Jodie Meeks or Leandro Barbosa.

It was widely reported last week that L.A. was also taking a serious look at C.J. Miles, however, the former Utah Jazz swingman decided to go in a different direction and ink a deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

You’ll recall, when this summer first began, the Lakers got absolutely destroyed by everyone for their admittedly awful bench. What a difference a couple of months can make, though.

The league’s most underrated front office executive, Mitch Kupchak, somehow managed to turn the weakest reserve group around into one of the deepest while nobody was paying attention.

By re-signing Jordan Hill and Devin Ebanks, and then adding Antawn Jamison, Kupchak was able to address all of L.A.’s bench weaknesses without really spending an insane amount of cash. Everyone got good deals, but good deals that will be off the books when Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash call it quits.

The only thing this team lacks right now is a three-point shooter off the bench, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to see how they can fill that void. Brandon Rush re-signed with the Golden State Warriors, Rashard Lewis inked a deal with the Miami Heat, and Jodie Meeks, while still available, didn’t really have the greatest three-point shooting year in 2011-12. Technically, he’s a shooter – but he’s a shooter who shot 37 percent from behind the arc last year. That’s a noticeable decline from the 40 percent he shot just one season earlier.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nba/nba-rumors-lakers-looking-sign-kenyon-martin-jodie-meeks-or-leandro-barbosa

umm...I don't think that is correct at this time. We still need 1-2 bench players
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:

utcahoop wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

umm...I don't think that is correct at this time. We still need 1-2 bench players

Did you read the next paragraph?
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Barbosa playing very well in Olympics at the moment. Definitely worth to go after. Then again, can Lakers afford him?

And if Laker add K-Mart, wouldn't the front court get overloaded? Does this inevitably lead to a trade?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Barbosa would be outstanding.

Best bench guard we would have had since Brown left the team. He's replace a lot of that, with better shooting and less dumbass plays. Although Barbosa has aged, he's not the explosive speed guy he used to be. He's still very effective as a bench guy IMO.

But I doubt we'd get him for a vet min. Has to be 2-3 M a year, I'm thinking. If it were up to me, I'd have left Hill walk and used the MMLE on a guard like Barbosa or whomever else was available. A combo guard like Barbosa is valuable because he could come in for Kobe or Nash. You could run a very fast lineup with Nash, Barbosa, Bryant, Jamison, Gasol. There's a lot of options with a move like this. I don't really get why we signed Hill, already having McRoberts for depth after Bynum/Gasol/Jamison and passed on using the MMLE. But Mitch knows best, I guess. They could have high hopes for Hill. Still I would think using the MMLE on the bench at SF-SG-PG makes more sense than adding a 5th big to the roster.

Thanks for the news, Ch*an.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject:

Kmart? We don't have room for him. But say yes to Barbosa !!!!!
utcahoop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
utcahoop wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

Read it all and its quite a contradiction from one paragraph to the next. Refering to our "awful" bench from last year when we entered the playoffs:
Blake, Glock, Ebanks, Barnes, Murphy & Hill

and now we have replaced Barnes & Murphy with Jamison. An upgrade I do agree but still suspect at best...
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Barbosa would be outstanding.

Best bench guard we would have had since Brown left the team. He's replace a lot of that, with better shooting and less dumbass plays. Although Barbosa has aged, he's not the explosive speed guy he used to be. He's still very effective as a bench guy IMO.

But I doubt we'd get him for a vet min. Has to be 2-3 M a year, I'm thinking. If it were up to me, I'd have left Hill walk and used the MMLE on a guard like Barbosa or whomever else was available. A combo guard like Barbosa is valuable because he could come in for Kobe or Nash. You could run a very fast lineup with Nash, Barbosa, Bryant, Jamison, Gasol. There's a lot of options with a move like this. I don't really get why we signed Hill, already having McRoberts for depth after Bynum/Gasol/Jamison and passed on using the MMLE. But Mitch knows best, I guess. They could have high hopes for Hill. Still I would think using the MMLE on the bench at SF-SG-PG makes more sense than adding a 5th big to the roster.

Thanks for the news, Ch*an.

I agree, if we want someone of Barbosa's talent level, we are going to have use our MMLE.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Nothing new under the sun that I can find today. Hope we sign Barbosa too wolf and others.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject:

First, stop with the McCants rumors media. This kid hasn't played in NBA for 2 years now!!! Second, we don't need K-Mart, he needs us more...

Jodie Meeks is only signable if they offer MLE, he is too young & capable 3 pt shooter to settle for less.

Barbosa is only 29 & with a hot Olympic showing could go elsewhere for more once they are over. Lakes need to offer the MLE if they want a good back up under the age of 30.

I just don't want any old players like Bibby or even Fisher back...

I wouldn't mind if McGrady joined us for vet min. just for Kobe's back up if no Meeks & Barbosa, but he's no reliable starter if needed...
SunshineMan89
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Would love to get Barbosa or Meeks--either would give us quite a strong bench.

I can't stand K-Mart, though--one of my least favorite players. Plus, he would presumably take playing time away from Jamison, Hill, and Ebanks. That's not really where our weakness is--we need help in the backcourt.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject:

barbosa or tmac and try to trade for anthony morrow
LakersJ
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:

I would rule out tmac, Barbosa, is good for the min, Meeks, Kmart for the min, is actually not bad because even though Mcbob is great for energy he doesn't specialize in anything not a good rebounder or, scorer. We could trade him for one of our real needs. A sf, I think Pietrus would fit good.
sandeezy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject:

utcahoop wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
utcahoop wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

Read it all and its quite a contradiction from one paragraph to the next. Refering to our "awful" bench from last year when we entered the playoffs:
Blake, Glock, Ebanks, Barnes, Murphy & Hill

and now we have replaced Barnes & Murphy with Jamison. An upgrade I do agree but still suspect at best...

Nah, our bench during the playoffs was just 4 of those guys. Brown never played Glock during the playoffs (stupid IMO), and luckily never played Murphy. Our bench was just sucky ass Blake, Ebanks, Barnes, and Hill.

I really really wish we would just get rid of Blake. He's such a horrible player.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: