Lakers in the News 8/11/12: Dwight Howard imitates Kobe Bryant's voice, eager to follow him

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 8/11/12: Dwight Howard imitates Kobe Bryant's voice, eager to follow him

Quote:
Dwight Howard imitates Kobe Bryant's voice, eager to follow him

Is newly acquired All-Star center Dwight Howard, left, destined to become the leader of the Lakers as Kobe Bryant nears retirement? (Reed Saxon / Associated Press; Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

By Mark Medina

August 11, 2012, 11:00 a.m.
Without prompting, Dwight Howard appeared more than eager to bust out another imitation.

This time, Howard didn't mimic the high-shrieked yell from former Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy. Howard didn't break out into his Charles Barkley impression by enunciating the word "turrible." Howard didn't make fun of Shaquille O'Neal's monotone voice, either.

Instead, he relived Kobe Bryant's congratulatory phone call after the Lakers officially introduced Howard at a press conference Friday after acquiring him from the Orlando Magic in a four-team, 12-player trade.

"Hey man, yo yo," Howard said, imitating Bryant's serious and giddy tone during a brief pause for Bryant from the 2012 London Olympics. "L.A is happy to have you. You're on our team now. We're looking forward to getting this ring. I'm happy for you, man. It's all love. I'm happy for you."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-dwight-howard-eager-to-follow-kobe-bryants-lead-20120811,0,824483.story

Last edited by Cha*n on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shaq, Barkley weigh in on Dwight Howard trade

Shaquille O'Neal has a history of taking digs at Dwight Howard. He has called him a fraud and said he should remain with the Orlando Magic and not try to follow in O'Neal's footsteps with the Los Angeles Lakers. He has gone as far as to say that Andrew Bynum, who is leaving the Lakers for the Philadelphia 76ers as part of the four-team trade, is better than Howard, despite numbers to the contrary.

O'Neal tweeted his dislike for the trade as soon as it happened, and the criticism continued.

During an appearance, Shaq was asked this question, according to the Los Angeles Times, "Any comments about the subpar junior Superman coming from Orlando to Los Angeles trying to follow your career path?" (O'Neal, of course, spent the first four years of his career with the Magic before winning three titles in eight years with the Lakers.)

http://www.kare11.com/usatoday/sports/56968994/Shaq-Barkley-weigh-in-on-Dwight-Howard-trade?usatref=sportsmod
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard will have to make adjustments in L.A.

Brian Schmitz, Magic Insider
2:15 p.m. EST, August 11, 2012

And Dwight has to prepare to deal with the pressure of playing with the demanding Kobe, who doesn't suffer fools greatly, and under a big-market microscope.

It's time for him to get more serious about basketball and life than ever.

Howard can almost instantly repair his tattered image by winning a title with the storied Lakers, as LeBron did in Miami.

Nobody except broken-hearted Magic fans will remember the Dwightmare if he wins. That's the way sports works.

Howard has had little choice but to alter his approach. He didn't really want to share the stage with any star after he demanded a trade, which is why he made the Brooklyn Nets his first option.

He certainly didn't want any part of following Shaq's Orlando-to-L.A. path…until he had little choice.

He must embrace it now and check his ego at the door as Kobe commands all the love. This will be the first time since Dwight started playing the game that he's playing with a bigger star than himself.

Dwight has to settle for being the heir apparent. He won't own L.A. until Bryant retires in three or four years.

There's no shared billing on this Hollywood marquee.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-11/sports/os-magic-brian-schmitz-sunday-0812-20120811_1_dwight-howard-kobe-bryant-dwightmare
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject:

I have a busy day so won't be updated till tonight. If anyone would like to post whatever you find and thanks
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' Jerry Buss undergoes undisclosed surgery

Lakers owner Jerry Buss underwent a surgical procedure Thursday, but the team would not provide many details.

"He did have surgery and it went fine," Lakers spokesman John Black said. "He's not home yet, but he's expected to make a full recovery."

Black would not discuss the procedure.

Buss' son, Jim, the Lakers' executive vice president of player personnel, on Friday told Times columnist T.J. Simers that his father got "out of surgery 14 hours ago" when the owner called Friday morning wanting details about the Lakers' acquisition of Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic.

"I was with him [Thursday] night and he was basically incoherent and he was going to be like that for two or three days," Buss told Simers.

Jerry Buss, 78, was hospitalized in July for dehydration. He was also taken to a hospital in December to treat blood clots in his legs, which were attributed to excessive travel.

Buss has owned the Lakers since 1979, when he purchased the team along with the Forum, the NHL's Kings and a 13,000-acre ranch in Kern County for $67 million from Jack Kent Cooke.

Buss has since built the Lakers into one of the top empires in the sports world. The team has won 10 NBA championships under his stewardship and the franchise has been valued at $900 million by Forbes.

In recent years, Jerry Buss has gradually ceded more control of the Lakers to Jim and daughter Jeanie Buss, the team's executive vice president of business operations.

LINK
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm, they might have inserted a vena cava filter to make sure the DVTs don't cause a pulmonary embolus.

Complete speculation on my part though.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
Hmmm, they might have inserted a vena cava filter to make sure the DVTs don't cause a pulmonary embolus.

I actually hope you're right, but I doubt Doc Buss got loopy from an IVC filter placement (per son Jim, I believe he hinted at some post-op confusion).

I'm more worried about why Buss got the DVTs. Not sure it's all from excessive travel. Gotta wonder if maybe there's an underlying malignancy we haven't been told about.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Ken Berger: Joining Kobe, Nash, Gasol in L.A., time for Howard to act like a champion

Quote:
I'm not here to tell you the Magic could've done better for Dwight Howard, because that's not my business. That's theirs. If there's an opinion to be had about the trade that sent Howard to the Lakers on Friday -- other than thanking the basketball gods that this fiasco finally is over –- it has to do with what it means for Howard's future as a ringmaker in L.A.

Not a ringleader, mind you. Not a class clown. A champion.

Howard joining Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol in L.A. means the time has come for him to stop acting like a chump and start acting like a champ.

I'm not even talking about the Dwightmare saga that has unfolded over the past year or so. Howard and his operatives stomped their feet until they got their way, or at least as much of their way as circumstances would allow. That sort of childishness isn't unique to Howard; it's simply the superstar way in the NBA.
celticsblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Ken Berger: Joining Kobe, Nash, Gasol in L.A., time for Howard to act like a champion

Quote:
I'm not here to tell you the Magic could've done better for Dwight Howard, because that's not my business. That's theirs. If there's an opinion to be had about the trade that sent Howard to the Lakers on Friday -- other than thanking the basketball gods that this fiasco finally is over –- it has to do with what it means for Howard's future as a ringmaker in L.A.

Not a ringleader, mind you. Not a class clown. A champion.

Howard joining Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol in L.A. means the time has come for him to stop acting like a chump and start acting like a champ.

I'm not even talking about the Dwightmare saga that has unfolded over the past year or so. Howard and his operatives stomped their feet until they got their way, or at least as much of their way as circumstances would allow. That sort of childishness isn't unique to Howard; it's simply the superstar way in the NBA.

Let's see. The Lakers FO is in disarray. GMs around the league are laughing at them. Jim Buss is ruining the franchise, and the Lakers organization is spiraling out'a control. I remember some clown writing a story with that theme not long ago... can't remember his name, but two buns and beef comes to mind.

Ya, someone is a clown alright. D-bag and a hack.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:

Yo DF...in English for us knuckledraggers.

We not all MD's mang!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Devin Ebanks to re-sign with Lakers on Monday

After taking his physical Monday at the Lakers' training facility, forward Devin Ebanks will sign the Lakers' qualifying offer that entails a one-year deal worth a little more than $1 million, according to his agent, David Bauman.

The deal doesn't exactly elicit the same headlines as the Lakers' acquiring Steve Nash or Dwight Howard this off-season. But it is yet another move the Lakers have made to shore up a bench that finished near the last in the league in scoring.

Ebanks, 23, averaged 4.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in his second season with the Lakers last year, and earned a few unexpected promotions. He started the season's first four games at small forward. Ebanks started five games at shooting guard while Kobe Bryant nursed a left shin injury in the season. And Ebanks started in place of Metta World Peace during his seven-game suspension for elbowing Oklahoma City guard James Harden two games before the playoffs. As a starter, Ebanks averaged 6.4 points on 47.8% shooting and 3.2 rebounds. Bauman said four other unspecified teams made "serious calls" about Ebanks, but sensed he's going to keep developing with the Lakers.

Ebanks "feels they know him now and what he's capable of and can contribute," Bauman told The Times in a phone interview Sunday evening. "He's going to be given a chance to get a role on the team."

LINK
theairofficial
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject:

+1 point for Kupchak for this one. Cant wait to see Ebanks coming off the bench
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: