Dwight's Back, General Info (Great Recap of Interview w/Dr. Klapper on ESPN 710)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Dwight's Back, General Info (Great Recap of Interview w/Dr. Klapper on ESPN 710)

Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.

2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 04/20/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.

7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.

8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.

The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.


Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.

Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.


Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.

That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.

When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.

Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 11302

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject:

i just hope the same "doctors" that "helped" karl malone, don't touch dwight howard
_________________
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Comparing MDA to Phil is like comparing poop to a BMW. There's just no comparison.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
UAdevil
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Surgery? He should have just gone with acupuncture.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 23173

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Really nice read!

Thanks for the info.

Too excited and can't wait to watch this new team now more than ever!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dood23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 7725

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Just come back healthy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Voices
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2006
Posts: 7428
Location: Oxnard, Ca.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject:

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.
_________________
.....
.....
ALTHOUGH HE STANDS 6 FEET 2 INCHES, JIM BUSS ATTENDED JOCKEY SCHOOL WHEN HE WAS 20.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mr. Zero
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 3429

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Missed it. Thanks for the recap.
_________________
Phil Luke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 40062
Location: Coming soon and striking at your borders.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwight's Back, General Info

dfchang813 wrote:


4. He had surgery 04/20/2012



Oh, well then he got the best kind of treatment possible.
_________________
The long road back...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
shaqobe2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 1899

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject:

LOL at comments on Bynum's knee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BlakeJay
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Dec 2011
Posts: 1269

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwight's Back, General Info

City_Dawg wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:


4. He had surgery 04/20/2012



Oh, well then he got the best kind of treatment possible.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
12
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 6774

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:

thurloly wrote:
Really nice read!

Thanks for the info.

Too excited and can't wait to watch this new team now more than ever!


+1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Posts: 8704

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject:

This is what I've been talking about every since he LA rumors in the summer came back up, I told my fellow Laker fans that he will be fine once he finishes rehabbing.

Dwight has been taking things VERY SLOWLY, his injury is nothing big but it has that small chance of coming back IF not treated right.

Let's not forget this is the 21st century, there are hundreds of millions at stake.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 4085
Location: North LA County

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:

EFF YOU BRENDAN HAYWOOD WITH THAT BUSH LEAGUE CRAP !!!!
_________________
"Now we're so happy we do the dance of joy."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 41103

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks dfchang813.
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.


Last edited by 32 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
enemy_territory
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 698
Location: Miami,FL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Hey dfchang do you know how many of his discs were herniated and where along the spine they were located?
_________________
Rob Lowe
Also good to know that #NBA commissioner #DavidStern is against the free market. Hey Dave, move to China. #Lakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 17558

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.


This concerns me a little bit. I'm sure he will be fine, but back pain doesn't just go away with surgery. Its alleviated, but it isn't 100% gone. Saying that he will not feel the same, but will still play the same is somewhat of a contradiction imo. Hope he takes all the time he needs and gets that back 110% before coming back.
_________________
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."-The Greatest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 14302
Location: SFV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that great recap. I wasn't sure where the doctor was talking and where you were interjecting your thoughts but it was a very informative post. Thanks.
_________________
-Most people learn by saying mother, numb, horse, angry... I learned mine by saying Lakers, add gas. - HRD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 17430

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I listened to the interview as well, and that's a phenomenal recap. Great stuff. Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
markjay
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 2370
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Great info. Thanks.

I am so glad that we have both Jamison and Hill signed. That means there will be no need for Dwight to rush back to play heavy minutes early on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Posts: 8704

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Voices wrote:
6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.


This concerns me a little bit. I'm sure he will be fine, but back pain doesn't just go away with surgery. Its alleviated, but it isn't 100% gone. Saying that he will not feel the same, but will still play the same is somewhat of a contradiction imo. Hope he takes all the time he needs and gets that back 110% before coming back.



I'm pretty sure it means his body will need some time to adjust.


Hell, I broke a finger playing basketball (I guess not that big of a deal) and it took me 3 months to get back in rhythm (jumper, dribble).
Finger looks worse than Kobe's, I can only move it half way
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 11520
Location: Somewhere watching a Laker game

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks OP. This thread should be stickied for Laker fans like me who don't get the 411 like SoCal Laker fans. This is very reassuring indeed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 17430

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Thanks OP. This thread should be stickied for Laker fans like me who don't get the 411 like SoCal Laker fans. This is very reassuring indeed.


Good idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 9013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Can Dwight park in the handicap spaces until his back is fully rehabbed?
_________________
If you spend your time talking to the people who don't listen to the things that you are saying, who do you think's gonna hear? Kris Kristofferson, "To Beat the Devil"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Posts: 36822

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwight's Back, General Info (Great Recap of Interview w/Dr. Klapper on ESPN 710)

dfchang813 wrote:
Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.

2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 04/20/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.

7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.

8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.

The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.


Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.

Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.


Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.

That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.

When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.

Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.
wow good post until the last part. why is bynum hunting your dreams? because he admitted when he needed to play better instead of giving the same boring non answers like every bball player. lol.

bynum helped win you a ship ON ONE LEG. NEVER forget that. no matter how IN LOVE with dwight you become. give the kid his due. he did that on one leg. he didnt have to. he could've shut it down like most guys would've done. respect him for that.

and i heard both good doctors today on the radio on my way to home depot. so i can vouch for this rehash.
_________________
LAL4K3RS wrote: He(Kobe) is the white haired kung fu master that you realize is older than dirt but can still kick your arse when in a sitting position drinking a nice herbal tea.


Last edited by postandpivot on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 1585

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Voices wrote:
6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.


This concerns me a little bit. I'm sure he will be fine, but back pain doesn't just go away with surgery. Its alleviated, but it isn't 100% gone. Saying that he will not feel the same, but will still play the same is somewhat of a contradiction imo. Hope he takes all the time he needs and gets that back 110% before coming back.


I don't think he meant it as "he will feel different = he will feel pain." I think he was referring to the psychological aspect of knowing that you've had an operation performed on you and how that might affect the way you feel about the situation mentally. It's why some guys come back from surgeries and rehab physically nearly identical to what they were pre-surgery, but feel different mentally knowing that they had a procedure done and so they may lack some previous explosiveness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB