Dwight's Back, General Info (Great Recap of Interview w/Dr. Klapper on ESPN 710)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Here is a study from 2010 on NFL players:

Quote:
Performance-based outcomes following lumbar discectomy in professional athletes in the National Football League.

CONCLUSION:

The data in this study suggests that even though a lumbar discectomy has career-threatening implications, a large percentage of NFL athletes return to play at competitive levels. Despite the general opinion of many NFL general managers, players who are able to complete the rigorous rehabilitation required to return to play after lumbar discectomy can expect excellent performance-based outcomes after surgery.

LINK

We will not know if Dh will have a full and complete recovery until he actually plays, there is a chance that, not to be pessimistic but to be realistic that DH will not have a full recovery.
This is the type of injury that even if it is completely healed physically does not mean the mind is completely healed. This could be a long process...From reading material provided in this thread it seems that certain athletes make a quick recovery and other take longer to recovery depending on the type pf procedure. Only tme will tell!
SWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject:

He also defended Andrew Bynum to a point. Said as a surgeon he saw a guy who wasn't inconsistent with effort but his health. Said games he was taking off was likely because his knees were not feeling well, had trouble getting up and down the court....
lakerfan2012
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject:

I have a question. I'm not too familiar with this medical stuff, but if they say it's a 1 inch incision, does that mean Dwight will be 1 inch shorter after the surgery?
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
32 wrote:
Here is a study from 2010 on NFL players:

Quote:
Performance-based outcomes following lumbar discectomy in professional athletes in the National Football League.

CONCLUSION:

The data in this study suggests that even though a lumbar discectomy has career-threatening implications, a large percentage of NFL athletes return to play at competitive levels. Despite the general opinion of many NFL general managers, players who are able to complete the rigorous rehabilitation required to return to play after lumbar discectomy can expect excellent performance-based outcomes after surgery.

LINK

We will not know if Dh will have a full and complete recovery until he actually plays, there is a chance that, not to be pessimistic but to be realistic that DH will not have a full recovery.
This is the type of injury that even if it is completely healed physically does not mean the mind is completely healed. This could be a long process...From reading material provided in this thread it seems that certain athletes make a quick recovery and other take longer to recovery depending on the type pf procedure. Only tme will tell!

I think when he trains and gets in the court is really up to his doctor. When his doctor based on his examination says; Howard you can start training and having physical contact then that is when he will get started. The Lakers expect nothing more or nothing less. This is not so much about Howard's mind it's about medical facts.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
55 wrote:
It could've come from the Lakers. It was best to make everyone think that he's currently worse off and will miss a part of the season (negotiation).

I personally believe that Howard is in on it. He's more ahead of schedule than he can lead on. He was very evasive with his answers at the PC as to when he'll return. "I'll wait to get cleared by the doctors" means he has no clue and waiting for the doctor to decide (oh sure).

Sounds like a remarkable strategy by the Lakers.

Yep. With the benefit of actual medical knowledge and standard of care regarding this type of injury, his response does ring a bit false.

As a surgeon, I know for a fact that I would tell my patient a general timeline for recovery. That's just basic doctoring 101. You don't promise anything but this sort of information is important for ANYONE, let alone the best f'ing center in the NBA.

I'm 100% sure Dwight knows that he is lights out for 4 full months. He must know that at the end of that time period, if he is okay he'll be cleared for full contact.

As for those rumors way back when about recovery going slower than normal, come on . . . how bad can a one inch incision be? They didn't even cut through any muscle!! The guy is a 26 year old physical specimen.

Just . . . no.

Let's wait a few weeks, we should be hearing about him going full contact and lifting in 2 weeks max.

Been shooting and running all week. It's a miracle
Your 2 week suggestion might be exact.
chinaurge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject:

A taste of greatness...
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject:

chinaurge wrote:
A taste of greatness...

Pretty nice and smooth, who says he doesn't have any offense? The dude is quite a physical specimen.
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
chinaurge wrote:
A taste of greatness...

Pretty nice and smooth, who says he doesn't have any offense? The dude is quite a physical specimen.

He's a quick learner, look how well he imitated those moves.

Hakeem could probably play in the NBA til he was 60, those moves are automatic lol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject:

lakerfan2012 wrote:
I have a question. I'm not too familiar with this medical stuff, but if they say it's a 1 inch incision, does that mean Dwight will be 1 inch shorter after the surgery?
what?

lol it means they only cut a 1 inch slice to access his back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject:

chinaurge wrote:
A taste of greatness...

This video just goes to show how agile Dwight is. It's truly remarkable when you think about it. I can't wait to see it in purple and gold.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:

chinaurge wrote:
A taste of greatness...

Hakeem for the vet min.

DO IT MITCH!

!...
Wagyu Kobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Hakeem still looks pretty darn good.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
55 wrote:
It could've come from the Lakers. It was best to make everyone think that he's currently worse off and will miss a part of the season (negotiation).

I personally believe that Howard is in on it. He's more ahead of schedule than he can lead on. He was very evasive with his answers at the PC as to when he'll return. "I'll wait to get cleared by the doctors" means he has no clue and waiting for the doctor to decide (oh sure).

Yep. With the benefit of actual medical knowledge and standard of care regarding this type of injury, his response does ring a bit false.

As a surgeon, I know for a fact that I would tell my patient a general timeline for recovery. That's just basic doctoring 101. You don't promise anything but this sort of information is important for ANYONE, let alone the best f'ing center in the NBA.

I'm 100% sure Dwight knows that he is lights out for 4 full months. He must know that at the end of that time period, if he is okay he'll be cleared for full contact.

As for those rumors way back when about recovery going slower than normal, come on . . . how bad can a one inch incision be? They didn't even cut through any muscle!! The guy is a 26 year old physical specimen.

Just . . . no.

Let's wait a few weeks, we should be hearing about him going full contact and lifting in 2 weeks max.

Thanks bro . . . called it

Running is actually a pretty big deal. Good sign that he is cleared to do it.

Next up, full contact, jumping, weights, etc.

Let's see how much of the "real" Dwight can be achieved by opening night. I say 80% or so.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
55 wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
55 wrote:

Just . . . no.

Let's see how much of the "real" Dwight can be achieved by opening night. I say 80% or so.

Here's another interesting quote from the big thread...

Quote:
Below are the highlights of my conversation with the Orlando Sentinel's Magic reporter Brian Schmitz on everything surrounding Dwight Howard getting traded to Los Angeles:

On why Orlando was reluctant to take Andrew Bynum: "He's going to be a free agent and the Magic didn't want to go through the same thing as they did with Dwight in not knowing whether the guy would just leave ...They did research on Bynum's physical stature and they don't believe his knees are going to hold up much longer. You can see that Bynum's going to Germany to get the same knee procedure as Kobe Bryant and Alex Rodriguez had. The other thing, as Laker fans are well aware of, Bynum is immature at times. It just haunts the team and could've provided a distraction."

= "damaged goods"
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I read that.

Big men with knee and foot problems have had a bad history in the league. There is so much weight to support and when your feet are bad it spells the end.

Can't help but think of poor Bill Walton.

All that being said, I would be a LOT more worried about Brooke Lopez and his bad feet and Bynum with his knees than Howard and his acutely herniated disc.

Glad the orthopedic surgeons out there agree . . .
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
55 wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
55 wrote:

Just . . . no.

Appreciate your posts df. What I don't get is everyone's impatience. I for one wouldn't mind if Dwight is not suited up game 1 or even by game 20. We are deep enough to win without him, and the most important thing is not our regular season record, but melding as a team, finding roles for players, working on our new system, and peaking by the playoffs. Dwight can do this with say 50 games under his belt before the post season starts. I just want him to be healthy, and ready to go once he is ready. The worst thing that can happen is a Derrick Rose like re-injury by returning too soon.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject:

No one wants to hurry him.

I'm just saying that the NATURAL course of recovery should have him ready to play by the season opener.

Right now, he's just slowly building up his strength and physique again.

With no setbacks, he should be ready to engage in basketball activities by the time training camp opens.

He won't be as strong or as athletic as he normally would be of course but that's just a consequence of 4 months of inactivity, not the result of the injury or surgery.

As he continues to work out and exercise day after day, he'll eventually return to pre-surgery form and strength.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
No one wants to hurry him.

I'm just saying that the NATURAL course of recovery should have him ready to play by the season opener.

Right now, he's just slowly building up his strength and physique again.

With no setbacks, he should be ready to engage in basketball activities by the time training camp opens.

He won't be as strong or as athletic as he normally would be of course but that's just a consequence of 4 months of inactivity, not the result of the injury or surgery.

As he continues to work out and exercise day after day, he'll eventually return to pre-surgery form and strength.

First of all thanks for your imput....question....what would be a setback and is there a chance of DH having chronic back problems?
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject:

A setback can be anything that prevents Dwight from returning to full strength on the basketball court. That could be something as minor as sore muscles which require a bit more rest to the most serious which is a re-herniated disc which would require significantly more downtime or even another surgery.

The chances of a reherniation is very small and is the main reason he has been restricted from running or heavy physical activity for a full 4 months after surgery.

There is obviously no guarantee what will happen in the future but the nature of his injury is considered ACUTE and a full recovery with no loss of strength, agility, and athleticism is expected.

CHRONIC back problems is a rather non-specific phrase that can encompass a wide variety of complaints with very little to do with each other. Certainly if you are thinking about the chronic back issues that plaqued T-Mac or Larry Bird, then Dwight's injury and treatment is completely different from that.

According to most reputable orthopedic surgeons, the only thing he'll need to worry about is a bit more stress and pressure placed on the other vertebra surrounding the one with the small herniation which over a long period of time may slightly shorten his career. Whether it will or not will depend to a large extent on how he takes care of his body and weight as well as the size of the herniation itself (which I hear is very small).

Hope that helps.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject:

On the Dwight Howard L.A. Lakers Facebook page, shot of him in the weight room. So we are definitely on schedule if not slightly ahead.
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
On the Dwight Howard L.A. Lakers Facebook page, shot of him in the weight room. So we are definitely on schedule if not slightly ahead.

Do you have a link? I can't find their facebook page, or official one at least. Ton of fan made ones.

I didn't know he was working out already??
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject:

It's not his facebook page. It's a fan page. But the workout pic is real. Here's another one from the same day:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/217694_256806501104961_647110761_n.jpg

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/UCLA-Womens-player.jpg
42lakers42
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject:

chinaurge wrote:
A taste of greatness...
i posted this in the dwight works out at ucla thread... glad the other members will get to see the one you posted seeing i can't make new post yet... i hope they hook up to train after d-12 get's all the way back. if dwight develops a back to the basket game like the dream....the rest of the league is in huge trouble!!!!
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I get the feeling it's sort of a one-off.

Kobe and Lebron have done similar visits but it's not like they hired Hakeem to be their personal trainer or something.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Dwight work with Kareem on a few things so that as he gets older and his athleticism becomes a smaller advantage, he'll have a more reliable set of post moves to fall back on.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I'll tell you one thing, he's a much better post player than Lebronze

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: