How should the Lakers adjust to Dwight Howard's possible absence?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: How should the Lakers adjust to Dwight Howard's possible absence?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-how-should-the-lakers-adjust-to-dwight-howards-possible-absence-20120828,0,7214863.story?track=rss
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject:

Mark Medina wrote:
3. Start Jordan Hill at power forward: He may not be the more talented player, but he may provide more of what the Lakers' starting lineup would actually need.

They already would have offensive firepower from Bryant, Gasol, Nash and even Metta World Peace. They would just need Hill to provide all the other things lacking in Howard's absence, such as defense, gobbling up rebounds and making hustle plays.

Because Hill offers those abilities, very little of his game would be compromised playing with the starters. Meanwhile, the Lakers bench would still have a reliable scoring option in Jamison.

Verdict: There's no other way to put it. Gasol will have to play more minutes. But unlike past seasons, the Lakers have more frontcourt depth so that the burden shouldn't fall solely on his shoulders.

In that case, Hill seems to be the best option to start because the Lakers would have a greater need in mitigate any defensive drop-off they would experience in Howard's absence. Meanwhile, they would have plenty of offensive options so that Howard's absence in the low post wouldn't be as troublesome.

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:
Kamenetzky Brothers: PodKast w/Jordan Hill (@Jordan Hill): Why he re-signed w/the Lakers, his role and his hair. http://es.pn/Nk20cR

“I mean, like I said, you got Kobe Bryant. You got Andrew Bynum. Pau Gasol. ‘Metta. You got scorers. You got Steve Nash, now. You got scorers. I know that I can score whenever. But you know, I’m the tough guy. I want to fight for rebounds. I want to run the floor. I just want to defend hard, and block shots. That’s good. That’s MY main focus, on especially a team like the Lakers, because like I said, you already got scorers. I just want to do the things that help MY team win, and help ME get better, while I’m on the floor. That’s what you need on a team, on every team, a guy that just go out there and leave it all out there on the floor every night.”

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:

I'd start Jamison, but I'd give Hill more minutes off the bench during D12's absence.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject:

ForrestHump wrote:
I'd start Jamison, but I'd give Hill more minutes off the bench during D12's absence.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject:

Start Jamison at the 4 and Pau at the 5.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I'd definitely start Jamison for the following reasons:
1. He has a lot more starting experience, you plug him in at PF then let Gasol play at C
2. This allows you to use Hill as a backup at either PF or C spot depending on the rotation.
3. Jamison can't play backup C, making Hill the more likely choice to get those minutes.

Although an unlikely candidate for some early season minutes is Earl Clark, who knows, maybe he gets some PT at the 4 spot.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Comment removed.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I bet he'll be ready for the first game of the reg season.
Weapon 6
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I think the team is already prepared, with all the games Bynum missed. The only difference now is Jamison instead of Odom. The team will be fine for a small stretch.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Just do 3 man c-pf rotation where Pau plays center exclusively with Jamison at PF while Hill covers at both.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
I bet he'll be ready for the first game of the reg season.

I agree.
9-0-9
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born in Redlands,California but Reside in Houston,TX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Me personally...when he got his start vs OKC...that's when he really started to show what he can do...I say start him and ket Jamison be that captain on the 2nd unit with Jodie and let em thrash and crash
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject:

No worries... we have Phil as coach. Wait a minute....
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
I'd definitely start Jamison for the following reasons:
1. He has a lot more starting experience, you plug him in at PF then let Gasol play at C
2. This allows you to use Hill as a backup at either PF or C spot depending on the rotation.
3. Jamison can't play backup C, making Hill the more likely choice to get those minutes.

Although an unlikely candidate for some early season minutes is Earl Clark, who knows, maybe he gets some PT at the 4 spot.
they would suck defensively.

pf: pau 18 | jamison 30
c: hill 32 | pau 16
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject:

Did Kenyon Martin end up signing with anyone yet? If not, I would look at the overall roster and consider if it's worth dropping someone to make room for him. Gasol-Hill-Jamison-Kmart would definitely get it done while Dwight heals up. 1 year vet min deal for a guy that gives you everything he has on D and gets nice streaks with his shot at times. Yeah, he's a thug. But, it's not as if he's been some massive cancer that has blown up locker rooms, either.

Once Dwight returns and can play consistent minutes, we can always start looking at potential trades to bring in PG improvement if Blake/Duhon are not doing a decent job spelling Nash's minutes.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:

Have AJ play a Odom role, and just let Kobe drop 30+ ppg. I frankly think that lienup is just as good, if not better, as the 2008-2010 squads.
Watson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:

I predict Hill will get the start over Jamison, because he is the better defensive player. Just how when Meta was out, Ebanks was getting the start last year instead of Barnes.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject:

ForrestHump wrote:
i wouldnt. and its for one reason only. i want jamison to get acclimated to coming off the pine for us.

its not the same as starting. not at all. its not the same as playing with, nash, kobe, etc. i need him to be ready to play good ball playing with blake at the pg spot, meeks at the sg spot. and perhaps gasol in the game with him at times.

leave jamison on the bench. even if you extend his mins. start Jhill . jhill's game doesnt change no matter where he is in the lineup starter or bench. same game. we dont need him to score at a high rate like we do jamison. hill is a hustler and thats all we need from him anything else is icing. gasol needs a banger next to him to keep him from wearing down. hill is that guy. jamison is not. jamison with gasol at the same time is asking for layup line when we're talking about us going up against other guys starting lineups.
Lakers Center
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject:

I would start Hill. He's the most similar to Howard (though obviously not nearly as good) so that would provide some continuity, as well as keeping Jamison as our 6th man.
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject:

If you don't pay attention to those trying to get ratings, the indications are that Howard is going to be ready opening night. If he is not, it's not going to be long. In the ten percent chance he is not ready.

Start Hill at center Pau at PF sub out Hill, slide Pau to C and bring Jamison in.
This is the way it should be with Howard, so that it gets the team ready.
Having said that, you can't go wrong with Pau at center.
st3vo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject:

i prefer Jordan Hill. keep Antawn as the Sixth Man, early sub for Hill, then when Pau needs a breather, sub in Hill for Pau.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers Center wrote:
I would start Hill. He's the most similar to Howard (though obviously not nearly as good) so that would provide some continuity, as well as keeping Jamison as our 6th man.
yep, i agree
Hmms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject:

i rather have Hill at C rather than PF and him starting
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject:

First unit

Sg Bryant
PG Nash
C Gasol
PF Jamison
SF MWP

Second unit

PG Duhon
G Meeks
C Hill
SF Ebanks

This is a deep team. You still have Goudelock amd a few untested waiting in the wings. We'll be able to weather the storm until Howard's 100%.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I would never start hill... Just someone else you can sag off because the paint is the only place he can do anything.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: