Lakers in the News 8/22/12: Is Kobe Bryant really worth $27.8 million? Yes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 8/22/12: Is Kobe Bryant really worth $27.8 million? Yes

Quote:
Is Kobe Bryant really worth $27.8 million? Yes

Amid economic uncertainty and a more restrictive labor deal, one thing remains unchanged.

NBA superstars still make a ton of money. According to Hoopsworld, Kobe Bryant's $27.8 million salary in the 2012-13 season will make him the highest paid NBA player. So too do the players behind him, including Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki ($20.9 million), New York forward Carmelo Anthony ($20.4 million) and New York forward Amare Stoudemire ($19.9 million). The Lakers will also pay top dollar to other players next season, including Dwight Howard ($19.5 million) and Pau Gasol ($19 million).

Considering the high unemployment rate and stagnant wages, it's easy to moan about such high salaries. It also opens up a discussion about society's valuing entertainers and athletes over more basic services, such as police officers, firemen, teachers. But from a pure market standpoint, these superstars deserve every penny.

The recent collective bargaining agreement curbed high spending on players. But those were ones who either severely dropped off in their play or convinced front offices to pay them more then their worth. But the ones who still make max contracts have managed to produce and thread the needle on their respective franchises.

Bryant's obviously cemented himself as one of the league's greats with his five championships, and it's fair to argue the Lakers wouldn't have secured a lucrative deal with Time Warner Cable without his presence. Lakers fans may wonder if Gasol will ever regain consistency, but it's arguable the Lakers wouldn't have made three consecutive NBA Finals appearances and won championships in 2009 and 2010 without him. And even if Howard has lots of maturing to do, his arrival to L.A. excited the fan base and sent ticket prices through the hoop.

How the Lakers manage these finances moving forward could be interesting.

Bryant has a two-year, $58-million contract set to expire after the 2013-14 season, and he's publicly indicated he may retire by then. But Bryant may feel he has both the energy and supporting cast around him to squeeze out more titles. Gasol's two-year, $38-million contract expires at the same time. The Lakers may have valued him enough to keep him now despite persistent trade talks, but how much will they value him then when they know they can trim payroll? If the Lakers have it their way, Howard will immediately re-sign with them after this season to a five-year, $117.9-million contract, as opposed to a maximum four-year, $87.6-million deal with another team.

Considering the Lakers have a $100-million payroll, it's likely they'll have to pinch money elsewhere. But they've done that so far as peripheral issues, such as signing bench reserve Antawn Jamison to a veteran's minimum ($1.4 million) and refusing to spend the $3 million mini mid-level exception.

Lakers fans shouldn't be offended that Bryant, Gasol and Howard make so much money. They should simply be grateful that the Lakers understand that's the price they have to pay to ensure a championship-caliber team.

LINK
peanut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject:

NO,Kobe at this stage in his career is not worth 27.8mil,he makes 10mil more than Lebron that's crazy.Anybody who says yes is a clear homer.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject:

Kobe earned his contract. Whether he's playing like a $28M player isn't the issue. He got paid what he was worth at the time. Not to mention he's currently the most recognized baller on earth. He's worth it.

I agree it's a lot of money to pay a basketball player, but if the front office is willing to pay him, and still put out a championship caliber team, why should I care as a fan? The last few years I thought Jim Buss was tightening the wallet, but that wasn't the case. He was just more patient than most of us.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject:

Mark Medina wrote:
They should simply be grateful that the Lakers understand that's the price they have to pay to ensure a championship-caliber team.

$40 million back court (Bryant and Nash)
$40 million front court (Howard and Gasol)

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
NO,Kobe at this stage in his career is not worth 27.8mil,he makes 10mil more than Lebron that's crazy.Anybody who says yes is a clear homer.

He's been in the league a lot longer and has accomplished a hell of a lot more. Lebron won't make as much as Kobe in his 17th season because frankly, he won't be one of the top players in the league at that time. Once he can no longer bulldoze over defenders he'll just be another undersized 4.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
Now you can predict the future?

Kobe (Age 27): $15,946,875
Lebron (Age 27): $16,022,500

Lebron is on his second to last contrast.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

He's been in the league a lot longer and has accomplished a hell of a lot more. Lebron won't make as much as Kobe in his 17th season because frankly, he won't be one of the top players in the league at that time. Once he can no longer bulldoze over defenders he'll just be another undersized 4.

Yeah you are a Kobe homer.

I was expecting that response.

Now you're gonna argue Lebron is as skilled as Kobe? Or are you going to overrate his post-up game like the rest of the Miami fans?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:

Kobe at 26 years old should make 50 mil, u can argue that Kobe was part of the reason la live was built.
Nba is a business, we pay Kobe by his value not solely on his skills,and he is underplayed for most of his career because of cba.
Jordan made 30 mil at age 35, but I think he made like 5 mil when he was 28.
Lebron may worth 50 mil now, but they can't pay him that because of cba
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Lebron may worth 50 mil now, but they can't pay him that because of cba

That’s the reason why there are “Super Teams”.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:

Do you have any idea how much Kobe puts into the pockets of the owners? Obviously not because If you did you wouldn't have said what you did. Kobe is one of the few mega stars in the league, maybe the biggest one, and his play has barely dropped at 34 years old. If anything his couple percentage points in shooting has more to do with the wrist injury he had than age. Worth every penny
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject:

Comment removed.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
peanut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:

evetssteve10 wrote:
peanut wrote:

Do you have any idea how much Kobe puts into the pockets of the owners? Obviously not because If you did you wouldn't have said what you did. Kobe is one of the few mega stars in the league, maybe the biggest one, and his play has barely dropped at 34 years old. If anything his couple percentage points in shooting has more to do with the wrist injury he had than age. Worth every penny

Yeah I know Kobe is box office,but he still is not worth 28mil a year at 34yrs old,I know it's the CBA but the Lakers overpaid Kobe.

Like I said I can't argue with Kobe homers,because you can't tell them anything about Kobe.Im a Lakers fan over Kobe,and no player is bigger than the franchise period.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

Now you're gonna argue Lebron is as skilled as Kobe? Or are you going to overrate his post-up game like the rest of the Miami fans?
OMG Lebron has more skills than Kobe,the only thing Kobe has over Lebron is a better jumpshot,and he is a born closer,other than that Lebron has Kobe beat in everything else.

I can't argue with Kobe homers,because they always think they are right.It's just like in the other thread people saying Kobe is better than Dwight right now,I just SMH and laugh to myself.

Of course Kobe is the better player than Lebron as far a career acheivements but you act like Lebron can't get any better when he's only 27 yrs old.

Kobe at age 27 was the best scorer I ever seen. Besides passing he has better skills than Lebron in every way possible. Lebron is great because of his freak built. Strong like a bull, quick like a cat.
Kobe was very athletic, but no where near Lebron.
Not arguing who is the better player now, but from skill stand point, Kobe is better than Lebron.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
Yeah I know Kobe is box office,but he still is not worth 28mil a year at 34yrs old,I know it's the CBA but the Lakers overpaid Kobe.

Kobe is the reason why the Lakers have that $5 billion deal with Time Warner.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

OMG Lebron has more skills than Kobe,the only thing Kobe has over Lebron is a better jumpshot,and he is a born closer,other than that Lebron has Kobe beat in everything else.

I can't argue with Kobe homers,because they always think they are right.It's just like in the other thread people saying Kobe is better than Dwight right now,I just SMH and laugh to myself.

Of course Kobe is the better player than Lebron as far a career acheivements but you act like Lebron can't get any better when he's only 27 yrs old.

Prime Kobe absolutely destroys prime Lebron and it's not even close. The fact that it's pretty close right now is RIDICULOUS considering the mileage and injuries Kobe has fought through. Lebron might have a slight edge right now, but it's only because of the current slopes their careers are at right now, Kobe is in his twilight ( owns any other player @ 17 years in ) and Lebron has been injury free @ 27. So what's the point of making the argument? It means nothing. And it's still really close!! 17 years in and he's still this ridiculous! Kobe doesn't need homers anymore he's reached that level.
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
peanut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

Kobe at age 27 was the best scorer I ever seen. Besides passing he has better skills than Lebron in every way possible. Lebron is great because of his freak built. Strong like a bull, quick like a cat.
Kobe was very athletic, but no where near Lebron.
Not arguing who is the better player now, but from skill stand point, Kobe is better than Lebron.
Wow you win,im done debating.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
Just because he makes more than Lebron doesn't mean he isn't worth his pay. Lebron is underpaid.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject:

Comment removed.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
peanut wrote:

Like I said I can't argue with Kobe homers,because you can't tell them anything about Kobe.Im a Lakers fan over Kobe,and no player is bigger than the franchise period.

Don't call people homers just cos u don't have a point
Players are paid by his value, not solely on the basketball court performance, we don't pay players by how many pts he scored or how many rebounds he grabs, we pay players by how much money they can make for ur franchise. If that is the case, Kobe has been underpaid for most of his career even this year.
I am not here to argue who is the better player
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

Prime Kobe absolutely destroys prime Lebron and it's not even close. The fact that it's pretty close right now is RIDICULOUS considering the mileage and injuries Kobe has fought through. Lebron might have a slight edge right now, but it's only because of the current slopes their careers are at right now, Kobe is in his twilight ( owns any other player @ 17 years in ) and Lebron has been injury free @ 27. So what's the point of making the argument? It means nothing. And it's still really close!! 17 years in and he's still this ridiculous! Kobe doesn't need homers anymore he's reached that level.
Kobe homers are out strong today,so prime Kobe would eat prime Lebron alive and it wouldn't be close.lmao I guess Kobe is the greatest player that ever lived also?

When someone uses the term homers as much as you do it usually means their argument is garbage and they don't really have much to say.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

Kobe homers are out strong today,so prime Kobe would eat prime Lebron alive and it wouldn't be close.lmao I guess Kobe is the greatest player that ever lived also?

If you need an education on how good Kobe was/is you don't deserve to watch basketball. Like I said his career speaks for itself at this point and if you don't see that then I feel bad for you
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject:

Ai> Kobe
Penny> Kobe
Vc> Kobe
Tmac> Kobe

The list goes on, all the media hate toward Kobe.
At 34 years old , he is still going strong.
peanut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject:

Kobe is overpaid to me,I don't care what anyone says(Kobe homers),but I don't care because it's not my money,so I will continue to root for Kobe and my Lakers.

Lakers Nation baby.
peanut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Ai> Kobe
Penny> Kobe
Vc> Kobe
Tmac> Kobe

The list goes on, all the media hate toward Kobe.
At 34 years old , he is still going strong.

Why did you compare Kobe to those bums?

More like

Kobe>MJ
Kobe>Magic
Kobe>Bird
Kobe>Wilt
Kobe>Russell
madmax1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject:

Kobe, you wrote this?

Our man ain't worth 27.8m ON THE COURT, but off the court? Now that's a different story

China, anyone?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: