Lakers in the News 8/22/12: Is Kobe Bryant really worth $27.8 million? Yes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Ai> Kobe
Penny> Kobe
Vc> Kobe
Tmac> Kobe

The list goes on, all the media hate toward Kobe.
At 34 years old , he is still going strong.

Why did you compare Kobe to those bums?

More like

Kobe>MJ
Kobe>Magic
Kobe>Bird
Kobe>Wilt
Kobe>Russell

I didn't compare those, media did
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Behind L.A.'s Scouting Staff

The youngest sibling of the first family of Los Angeles basketball is Jesse Buss, 24, the Lakers Scouting Coordinator and D-Fenders Director of Scouting.

Buss joined us to describe his role for the team his father Dr. Jerry Buss bought in 1979, and has led to the playoffs in all but two seasons while earning 10 NBA championships. Jesse detailed the intricate scouting process he oversees, showed us how he uses an iPad application to organize the operation, explained what he and the organization looks for in prospects and more:

MT: How would you describe your role with the organization?
Buss: With the Lakers, my role is to watch prospects, send reports in to (Executive VP of Player Personnel) Jim (Buss), (GM) Mitch (Kupchak) and (Director of Scouting/Consultant) Bill Bertka and so on. It's also a job of mine to help schedule our scouting staff, and make sure we see all the prospects we hope to see. There's a group of about 10-11 people in basketball ops who scout college and international games regularly — and are in the war room for the Draft — so I help organize the schedules for our college scouts in addition to scouting players myself. With the D-Fenders, I help coordinate the draft along with (Lakers Assistant GM, D-Fenders GM) Glenn Carraro, (D-Fenders CEO) Joey (Buss), (D-Fenders) Coach Musselman and his staff. I also help with trades and waiver pick ups for the D-Fenders.

MT: How do you go about coordinating everything to make sure you as a staff are seeing every prospect?
Buss: It's definitely a whole process. There are several early season tournaments that we divy up between our front office. Since the teams participating in these tournaments are often traveling away from where they normally play, it's a good chance for someone like Irving Thomas, who lives in Miami, to see schools from the west in a tournament like the Puerto Rico tip-off. We go where the prospects are. During the season it gets a little tougher when conference play opens. I try to make it as efficient of a trip as possible when our scouts are on the road. What I mean by that is that I want our guys seeing the best possible games with the most prospects. We'll try to have five to seven day trips where we'll see several teams. Sometimes we drive from school to school in a trip where every day we are driving for several hours to get to our next stop. Other times our scouts will take five or six flights in one trip. What we try to ensure is we are seeing the best games possible and that we don't have the same guys at the same games. Efficiency is the key.

MT: To ask a simple question about what must be a complicated answer, how do you keep track of everything?
Buss: If I were a geography major it'd certainly help. But I have different tools that I use. I actually have an app that on my Ipad that has a map of where every university or college is located. It also has a feature that allows you to select a university and see how close it is to surrounding universities. I made it color coordinated depending on how important it is for us to see that school. For example, a red colored school would be classified as MUST SEE, a blue school would be one to keep an eye on, etc. Ultimately a key for me is to have every one of our scouts see all the prospects that we need to see and travel all around the country rather than just staying in a certain region. Chaz might go scout in Kansas City/Midwest area and be in New York the next week. Ryan and I spend a lot of time in the midwest/south/west coast and occasionally go to the east coast as well. It's just about figuring out what works for our scouts and if they feel like these are games of high importance.

MT: What is the main directive or point of emphasis for you when you're scouting prospects?
Buss: The question I like to ask myself is 'Will this prospect play in the NBA?' And if so, what does he project to be? In one year? Five years? Ten Years? He could be an All-star all the way down to the 15th man on the roster. Sometimes a late first round pick is a 15th guy on your roster, sometimes he's an All-Star. Every team is different on what they need, of course, and talent evaluators look for different things. Some teams want players who can play right away, some are rebuilding and want a guy to develop for down the road. Still others draft to fill in a hole at a position. And even that changes year-by-year with free agency and potential trades, and influences what you're looking for when scouting.

Editor's Note: As an example of what Buss does in his role as scouting coordinator, he took out a chart that showed how many players in each draft class dating back to 1996 remained in the NBA, year by year. So for the 2005 draft class, it showed the following: 2005-06 – 48 in the NBA for that season; 2006-07: 48; 2007-08: 39; 2008-09: 38; 2009-10: 34; 2010-11:35; 2011-12: 32.

MT: What have you learned from growing up in a basketball family, particularly from your father and older siblings?
Buss: I've been going to Laker games since before I can remember. I loved playing as a kid, and my dad would let me play at the practice facility and at the Forum when he owned it. Fast forward to when I first started working for the team, when I was about to turn 19, and Jimmy really took me under his wing. He told me what I should look for in players. I've also been lucky to have Bill Bertka and Mitch Kupchak helping me along the way. Bertka gave me the advice that you should never try to stretch on any player or force the issue with a guy; sometimes you just don't see what you need to see. Don't fake it. Glenn Carraro has also been a big help. I started as a basketball ops assistant doing projects for Glenn on statistical analysis and things like that. But as far as family goes, my father and I used to watch the games growing up and he'd always have things to say. It's been more Jimmy – through several scouting trips and in general – who took me under his wing since I've become a professional.

MT: If you see a player you like, what's the process like to get that information up the ladder to Kupchak and Jim?
Buss: We fill out our scouting reports and every time we come back from a trip, we may have 40 or 50 of them to enter into a database. First and foremost, Mitch will look at our reports, and maybe he'll see something that stands out. We then can pull the prospects up in meetings when we all discuss players.

MT: What is the most difficult thing about scouting? The most fun?
Buss: The travel is difficult, but I enjoy traveling so it doesn't bother me as much. It's certainly a lot of fun to attend some of the best college basketball games in the country, especially in the arenas with great atmospheres. With that said, evaluating the prospects is definitely a tricky thing. Nobody is 100% right every time. Jerry West used to say that if you get even half of your picks right you're doing a great job. Picking late in the second round - as we have typically done – is difficult, unless someone falls to you, in terms of finding guys that have the ability to play legit minutes.

MT: Any good stories about travel struggles?
Buss: Someone in basketball personnel told me that they were going to watch a player in Europe, and they had to take two flights to get to a small city in Italy, then drive two hours to get to a gym in the middle of nowhere. The guy ended up not playing in the game, so they literally only saw him warm up. Stuff like that happens. I was going to Oklahoma a few years back to see Blake Griffin, and he ended up having a concussion, so I missed him.

MT: And you have all the games to watch on TV as well…
Buss: Of course, I'm constantly recording games on my DVR to watch, and we use Synergy as one of our main tools as well so we can watch players on our laptops either before or after the game. I like to watch tape on a player both before and after the game to first know what I'm watching for, and then re–watch to make sure I recognize what is in front of me.

MT: What's a limiting factor for you that occurs while scouting?
Buss: It's hard to watch how good a defender is on the ball sometimes because of how many teams play zone. Syracuse for example: it's hard to see everything the individual players can do on D. And they're not playing against NBA offenses.

MT: How much do you rely on statistical evaluation compared with seeing players on film or in person?
Buss: Stats help in the sense that they confirm what you're watching. There are places where stats and scouting conflict, however, where if a guy has an ugly stroke and is shooting 40 percent from three, is it a fluke? But certain things stand out, like if you're seven feet tall and only average a few rebounds per game. Or if you are a point guard and only average two assists a game, or a lengthy center that doesn't block shots. Efficiency also comes into play in terms of shooting percentages and turnovers. Two of the most important statistics I look are are games played and minutes played. It really depends on how much a player is bringing to the floor to help contribute. Obviously, numbers can look ugly when a guy only plays ten minutes a game, but if he's doing really well in those ten minutes you start to think, 'Well what would he do if he played 36?' So I definitely use stats, but I never let any single thing govern my decisions one way or another.

MT: How many flights do you average per year to scout players? What's your favorite place to go?
Buss: I'll take about six flights a month during the season (Nov. - June), and probably about 40-50 flights a year. There are a lot of short flights to places like UNLV or (schools in Northern California). North Carolina was probably my favorite trip, with the chance to scout UNC, NC State, Duke and Wake Forest. Those crowds are wild, especially at Cameron Indoor and Dean Smith Center. At UNC, they have names on the bricks when you're walking into the arena, and I took a picture of Mitch's.

MT: We have to get that on Lakers.com. Thanks for the time, Jesse.
Buss: My pleasure.

LINK
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
NO,Kobe at this stage in his career is not worth 27.8mil,he makes 10mil more than Lebron that's crazy.Anybody who says yes is a clear homer.

He's been in the league a lot longer and has accomplished a hell of a lot more. Lebron won't make as much as Kobe in his 17th season because frankly, he won't be one of the top players in the league at that time. Once he can no longer bulldoze over defenders he'll just be another undersized 4.

Yeah you are a Kobe homer.

Now you can predict the future?

I was expecting that response.

Now you're gonna argue Lebron is as skilled as Kobe? Or are you going to overrate his post-up game like the rest of the Miami fans?
OMG Lebron has more skills than Kobe,the only thing Kobe has over Lebron is a better jumpshot,and he is a born closer,other than that Lebron has Kobe beat in everything else.

I can't argue with Kobe homers,because they always think they are right.It's just like in the other thread people saying Kobe is better than Dwight right now,I just SMH and laugh to myself.

Of course Kobe is the better player than Lebron as far a career acheivements but you act like Lebron can't get any better when he's only 27 yrs old.

Prime Kobe absolutely destroys prime Lebron and it's not even close. The fact that it's pretty close right now is RIDICULOUS considering the mileage and injuries Kobe has fought through. Lebron might have a slight edge right now, but it's only because of the current slopes their careers are at right now, Kobe is in his twilight ( owns any other player @ 17 years in ) and Lebron has been injury free @ 27. So what's the point of making the argument? It means nothing. And it's still really close!! 17 years in and he's still this ridiculous! Kobe doesn't need homers anymore he's reached that level.
Kobe homers are out strong today,so prime Kobe would eat prime Lebron alive and it wouldn't be close.lmao I guess Kobe is the greatest player that ever lived also?

We'll see you in a few days.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:

^ I knew that was coming.
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
peanut wrote:
NO,Kobe at this stage in his career is not worth 27.8mil,he makes 10mil more than Lebron that's crazy.Anybody who says yes is a clear homer.

Do you have any idea how much Kobe puts into the pockets of the owners? Obviously not because If you did you wouldn't have said what you did. Kobe is one of the few mega stars in the league, maybe the biggest one, and his play has barely dropped at 34 years old. If anything his couple percentage points in shooting has more to do with the wrist injury he had than age. Worth every penny

Yeah I know Kobe is box office,but he still is not worth 28mil a year at 34yrs old,I know it's the CBA but the Lakers overpaid Kobe.

Like I said I can't argue with Kobe homers,because you can't tell them anything about Kobe.Im a Lakers fan over Kobe,and no player is bigger than the franchise period.

You have missed the point of the article...this debate about the skills of the players is misguided, besides one of you is arguing skill and one is arguing current effectiveness, but this isn't the point AT ALL. The point is how much Kobe makes for the team...international superstar that brings in fans and money. The article suggested that ridiculous TV deal they got wouldn't have been possible without him.

Recognizing that Kobe makes far more for the team than he takes in salary, isn't homerism, it's understanding the business side, it's also recognizing that Kobe helps get those other players here, its not just the Lakers, I watched those game in the 90s. Kobe is NOT bigger than the Lakers, he also has generated all the money is has and will be paid.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks 32.

Biggest talk about the Lakers today is Mark Cuban saying Dallas almost traded for Kobe in 2007. I don't feel like posting the brats talk.

Here's the google link for any Mav's fans that might be lurking here, lol

https://www.google.com/news?ncl=drHnbTgn6iv30sMSL1Kz9WJuxpsYM&q=lakers&lr=English&region&ned=us&hl=en
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject:

As for Kobe's salary, is that worth a Championship? Of course.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

He's been in the league a lot longer and has accomplished a hell of a lot more. Lebron won't make as much as Kobe in his 17th season because frankly, he won't be one of the top players in the league at that time. Once he can no longer bulldoze over defenders he'll just be another undersized 4.
amen !
st3vo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject:

lebron gave up cash to go play in miami. not sure how much, but i remember hearing/reading that he gave up a little so he could play w/ his pals in miami.

you can argue that anyone is overrated and not worth their contract.

in my opinion, no sports athlete should be paid that much. it's all about the market and how high the standards have been set. the standards were pretty high when kobe got that deal. i think KG was still getting like $20-something mil and Arenas' bogus contract.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:

peanut wrote:
Kobe is overpaid to me,I don't care what anyone says(Kobe homers),but I don't care because it's not my money,so I will continue to root for Kobe and my Lakers.

Lakers Nation baby.

"Knibb High football rules!"
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe Bryant's 5 Healthy Habits

Today we’re focusing on smart ways to adopt healthy habits and we have some great advice from a guest writer -- basketball phenomenon and father Kobe Bryant. While I was in London leading the US Delegation to the Olympics, I had the thrill of seeing Kobe and Team USA play France, and I met with Kobe and the whole team after the game to say congratulations. As everyone knows, Kobe is an extraordinary athlete, and he has all kinds of great tips and insights on how to become healthier. Part physical and part mental, I hope his advice inspires you to make some changes you can stick with! - Michelle Obama

Let me start by saying it is a great honor to be a part of this week’s living healthy conversation on iVillage. I've had the privilege of meeting the first lady, the president and their two beautiful daughters, Sasha and Malia, on several occasions, and I am very excited to help with this initiative in any way that I can. Plus, having two daughters of my own has really elevated the significance of living healthy for me. Leading by example is always the best way for kids to learn.

When it comes to healthy living there are certain habits that come naturally to me and others I've had to struggle with and that continue to be a challenge to this day. Sure I want to live healthy, but I've found that just keeping my eye on the healthy goal is not going to get me through a late night craving for sugar cookies! (My fave!) But I'm a competitive person so instead, I look inward for a game of one on one. Sometimes I win (I dropped 16 pounds in preparation for the Olympics) and other times those darn sugar cookies kick my butt . For me, the trick is to focus on the next swing of the ax and not to focus on how many swings it will take to bring down that massive tree in front of you.

With that being said, I want to share with you my list of five healthy habits that have helped me over the years. Some are physical; others are mental and spiritual. Hope you find them useful and best of luck on your journey towards being healthy!

My 5 Healthy Habits

Exercise
We all know the significance of staying active. The hard part is finding the time to do it. The key here is to find a routine. I take my kids with me to the track sometimes and they enjoy running, walking or just laughing at my agony. LOL. But carving out a set time so that your body gets used to it will help exercise find and keep a place in your schedule as well as help your body adapt to the soreness from your activity.

Nutrition
My Achilles heel! I only started really focusing on my nutrition a few years ago. I started experiencing low energy and was feeling bloated. Then it hit me: 'Kobe you’re not 25 anymore' (I once had pepperoni pizza before scoring 81 points). It was time to adjust, so the struggle began. Lots of veggies, fruits, fish and lean meats. Portions were small and I found myself craving a snack every two hours!! So I would dig through the pantry searching for anything to munch on to hold me over to the next healthy meal time. Recently I changed my outlook and it really helped. Instead of viewing my new way of eating as a diet, I looked at it as a way of life. Balance was the key. I didn't want to feel like I was punishing myself. Now, though it's still difficult, I enjoy the veggies much more knowing that if I have an occasional cookie I'm not a failure

Help others
Sounds simple I know, but the amount of good energy and inspiration YOU feel when you help someone else achieve their goals is infectious. You will also be less stressed if you’re not constantly critiquing the person in the mirror. Looking beyond that mirror gives you a broader life context and puts whatever challenges you may be facing in perspective.

Decompress
We all have bad days. They happen. It's life. Instead of bringing that heavy energy to those around you it's important to decompress. Find a space where you can be alone and let your mind settle. Whether it's meditation, painting, piano or just reading a book, finding that space to simply listen to your mind and body is critical. It doesn’t have to be for a big chunk of time, but be sure you do it!

Don't forget to LIVE
I think too much sometimes and forget to simply enjoy the blessings around me. So I have to remind myself to see the beauty in life, look for the good in people, laugh and cry, be angry, get frustrated, be happy and BE MYSELF. These are all important parts of the ups and downs of life. Live to learn. Learn to live!

LINK
sgtpepper1972
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
peanut wrote:
Just because he makes more than Lebron doesn't mean he isn't worth his pay. Lebron is underpaid.

Lebron chose to...to win a ring.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers center Robert Sacre was the only one without a number at the NBA’s rookie photo shoot

It's got to be tough enough for rookie Robert Sacre that he's still unsigned nearly two months after the Los Angeles Lakers chose him with the final pick in June's 2012 NBA draft, especially since he knows he's unlikely to see any shot at minutes in the middle thanks to the trade for Dwight Howard and the re-signing of free agent Jordan Hill, and especially since L.A.'s got the rights to 16 players for 15 roster spots (or, as Darius Soriano recently noted at Forum Blue and Gold, more probably 14 spots), putting him very squarely on the chopping block in the months before the start of the season.

But man, did the Lakers have to send the former Gonzaga Bulldogs big man to the NBA's rookie photo shoot in Tarrytown, N.Y., on Tuesday without a number?

Well, um, look on the bright side, Robert — since every other rookie present actually had a number, you definitely stand out. That counts for something, right?

There's an explanation for the number-free kit, and according to ESPN.com's Lynn Hoppes, it revolves — as all things Laker-y do nowadays — around the Howard trade:

Sacre, who averaged about 11 points and six rebounds at Gonzaga, showed up at the 2012 NBA rookie photo shoot on Tuesday with no number on his jersey.

"Dwight took my No. 12 that I was wearing in the Summer League. I can't argue with that. That's what happens when you have seniority," said Sacre, who has agreed to switch to No. 6 for the Lakers. "I'm OK with all of this. I just want to get back on the court." [...]

And Sacre said he knows he'll get his number when he heads to Los Angeles to start training camp in a few weeks.

Provided, of course, this isn't just a really, really bad omen.

If it's not, here's hoping the Lakers spring for a new set of press shots pronto. If it is, well, then at least Sacre suffered it with a smile. Doing so might not make him as proudly hirsute as Quincy Acy or as Conanic as Kyle Singler, but looking on the bright side for posterity still makes him a photo-shoot champ in my eyes.

LINK
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

Now you're gonna argue Lebron is as skilled as Kobe? Or are you going to overrate his post-up game like the rest of the Miami fans?

"skill" can be debated in numerous, biased ways. But Lebron was the clear MVP of the regular season and Finals. Is Kobe's superior footwork or pump faking or whatever (which still has him shooting 10% less in FG% than Lebron) worth 10 extra million a year?
sirronstuff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:

peanut wrote:

One does not necessarily gauge value in comparing only. Perhaps Lebron is underpaid in the NBA even though he earns more off the court? Possible, but it doesn't mean Kobe isn't worth every dime he's paid to the Lakers and the NBA.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Lol @ people. Kobe brings in hundreds of
Millions by himself.

/thread.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject:

peanut wrote:

Excuse me, but Kobe generates 2-3 times his salary for the Buss family, which means he dam well IS worth his salary.
adtz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
peanut wrote:

Excuse me, but Kobe generates 2-3 times his salary for the Buss family, which means he dam well IS worth his salary.
this!!! Not only kobe skill deserve the salary, if off court also help generate $$$. I can't said LBJ don't, just that he still cannot compare to kobe currently.
Somemore kobe salary is before CBA, and most importantly, LBJ take a pay cut(correctly me if I am wrong) to be the super team of miami with Bosh and wade.

And to certain point, for a 34 years old to get 29m and 30m at 35 is definitely alot, but I can live with it as it not my $$ directly and I still get to support kobe while he is in the team, and this is definitely good enough, and buss willing to spend, not like kobe here hinder our process.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
peanut wrote:

"skill" can be debated in numerous, biased ways. But Lebron was the clear MVP of the regular season and Finals. Is Kobe's superior footwork or pump faking or whatever (which still has him shooting 10% less in FG% than Lebron) worth 10 extra million a year?

He's a physical freak like the world has never seen before. Props to him for using what he has. Let's see what happens once he loses that battle against father time. As of right now, he doesn't have the skill set to carry him beyond that point where he's no longer physically superior to the rest of the league.

But like I said, Kobe got what he deserved at the time. He earned it. And the great thing about Kobe is I don't ever have to wonder whether he's doing everything in his power to live up to his contract. I know his mind is right here in L.A., doing whatever possible to bring another championship home. Not on a fake injury in the playoffs or making plans with friends on other teams.

As a fan, the only time I care about what a player is earning is when it handcuffs the team from competing for a championship. The ownership has proven that isn't the case. Kobe gets what he deserves, fans watch their team play for a championship, and ownership STILL rakes in the dollars. Everyone wins.

One could argue the only person that has done more for the Laker organization than Kobe Bryant is Jerry West. Comparing statistics is really way too simplistic and short-sighted. The man has given the city 5 championships and wants a 6th as badly as the 1st. I just don't understand how anyone can say they're a Laker fan and then say Kobe is overpaid. I don't get that.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject:

It's a tough argument because really, Kobe brings in way more money than he's paid. Yes he's absolutely worth 27 million considering what he brings in....but the other side is, is Kobe worth half the salary cap at the age of 33?

I don't get the "it's for past accomplishments" angle because Kobe has always been among the highest paid players in the NBA. He has never been underpaid. He's been a max player basically since his first post-rookie contract.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
It's a tough argument because really, Kobe brings in way more money than he's paid. Yes he's absolutely worth 27 million considering what he brings in....but the other side is, is Kobe worth half the salary cap at the age of 33?

I don't get the "it's for past accomplishments" angle because Kobe has always been among the highest paid players in the NBA. He has never been underpaid. He's been a max player basically since his first post-rookie contract.

All you need to know is that if the Lakers were presented with a "get out of jail card" right now, and could void Kobe's contract, they'd scoff at the notion.

But I do get your point. I mean, with that salary, how do the lakers expect to bring in any talent around him?
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Even now, kobe is the biggest international brand in the NBA. The NBA only releases US data... But they acknowledged Kobe's international supremacy.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-21/lakers-kobe-bryant-has-top-selling-nba-jersey-internationally

Just to give perspective... I live in Europe and people are reverant about Kobe. lebron was a distant second during the Olympics. Everyone wanted to see Kobe's last international competition. When you say NBA, the first person anyone mentions is Kobe.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

All you need to know is that if the Lakers were presented with a "get out of jail card" right now, and could void Kobe's contract, they'd scoff at the notion.

But I do get your point. I mean, with that salary, how do the lakers expect to bring in any talent around him?

Touche. I never expected the Busses to foot the exorbitant tax bill they've got coming next year. Major, major kudos to them.
indigenous
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's jersey third best selling in the US, first overall worldwide, first in China(Where they are not known for buy real jerseys).
Lakers consistently either the best travelling team or second best in terms of attendance, Lakers has the highest average ticket price in the NBA, also about to begin the TW 150+ million dollars a year deal. While some of these are not all about Kobe, he plays a large part, liked or disliked, he is the single player that NBA fans will pay money to watch perform.
So is he worth 27 million dollars for the Lakers? More than worth his weight in gold for the Lakers both on and off the court!!!
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Hell Yes!
the only reason it looks so bad is because of the CBA. Other players would be making similar money
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: