Lakers in the News: 9/1/12 & 9/2/12: Los Angeles Lakers Rumors 2012: Matt Barnes Expresses Desire To Re-Sign With The Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News: 9/1/12 & 9/2/12: Los Angeles Lakers Rumors 2012: Matt Barnes Expresses Desire To Re-Sign With The Lakers

Quote:

Lakers have plenty of reasons to celebrate Shaq

Retiring No. 34 makes even more sense when you consider what center's trade meant to franchise

Ira Winderman
You ask, we (try to) answer.

Q. Why would the Lakers retire Shaq's number when he walked out on them?
— Andy, Santa Clarita, Calif.

A. Did he? Or did the mutual tension with Kobe Bryant simply leave the Lakers at a breaking point, having to make a one-or-the-other decision?

I was there when Shaquille O'Neal made his Staples Center return with the Heat and it was nothing short of a warm embrace, with a rousing ovation amid a video montage of Shaq's career highlights with the Lakers.

The Lakers have proven particularly adept over the years at forgiving and forgetting after sometimes uneasy partings.

The reality is that of all of Shaq's departures, including the ones from the Magic, Heat and even Suns, the Lakers' was the cleanest. They moved on; he moved on. He won a championship without Kobe; Kobe came back and won without him.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48867561/ns/sports-nba/

Last edited by Cha*n on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Old School Lakers Fans: Should Michael Cooper's Number Be Retired? – Fan’s Take
The Los Angeles Lakers Announced Jamaal Wilkes Will Have His Number Retired. Now the Michael Cooper Supporters Are Lobbying for the Same Honor for the Coop
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Andrew Sweat | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 1 hour 0 minutes ago

Email

With the announcement that the Los Angeles Lakers will retire Jamaal Wilkes' number, the surprising response from many Lakers fans has been to yell:

"Cooooooooooooooop!"

That's right, a movement to honor Michael Cooper by retiring his number is gaining momentum.

Just take a look at the comments in my column questioning whether Jamaal Wilkes' career was great enough to have his jersey retired. A few of the comments were advocating retiring Michael Cooper's jersey if Jamaal Wilkes is the new standard.

Here are the reasons for and against retiring Michael Cooper's number.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/old-school-lakers-fans-michael-coopers-number-retired-184800501--nba.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Announce Dates To Honor Shaquille O’Neal, Jamaal Wilkes
Sep 1st, 2012 at 11:32 am by Chris ShellcroftLakers
Home » Lakers » Lakers Announce Dates To Honor Shaquille O’Neal, Jamaal Wilkes
Pin It

Here in Laker Country, unlike Boston, we only honor a select few of our all-time greats with the immortalization that is jersey retirement. Check the rafters in Boston and chances are you’d think an epic game of bingo is going on up there. Do the same in Staples Center and you’ll see a select few names and numbers that represent some of the best to ever play the game.

That’s why having two separate jersey retirement ceremonies in the same season is among the rarest occurrences you’ll see in L.A. City. We already knew Jamaal Wilkes and Shaquille O’Neal were to be honored this upcoming season. We now know exactly when both will occur.

On Thursday of this week the Lakers announced December 28th as the date to honor Wilkes and April 2nd to send Shaq’s #34 to the rafters.

Quite an honor for both men who have achieved so much success during some truly storied hoops careers. For Wilkes his #52 was long overdue to be sent to hoops heaven. A winner at all levels of the game Wilkes was a fixture on the L.A. sports scene having attended UCLA before balling in purple and gold. Wilkes will also enter the Hall of Fame this year this its only right the Lakers show proper respect to one of the game’s greats.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2012/09/01/lakers-announce-dates-to-honor-shaquille-oneal-jamaal-wilkes/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers’ Next Staples Center Statue: Top 5 Most Deserving Candidates
By Michael C. Jones | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 23 hours ago

COMMENTARY | Now that Los Angeles Lakers' legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has a statue featuring his likeness scheduled to be unveiled in front of Staples Center at some point during 2012-2013 NBA season, the speculation can begin as to who deserves to be recognized in such fashion next.

Broadcaster Chick Hearn, Magic Johnson and Jerry West will stand immortalized next to Abdul-Jabbar when his likeness is finished. Given the franchise's great history, who's next in line?

Here are the top five Lakers who deserve a statue, in order.

No. 5, Wilt Chamberlain, C, 1968-1972

Wilt Chamberlain is an NBA legend considering the body of work of his entire career. The Hall-of-Famer joined the Lakers as he was declining, but was still effective in his later years and was an integral part of bringing a championship culture to L.A.

He was the MVP of the franchise's first title in Los Angeles, averaging 14.7 points and 21.0 rebounds per contest in the 1972 playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-lakers-next-staples-center-statue-top-195600889--nba.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Former Lakers G Sasha Vujacic, tennis star Maria Sharapova end engagement

By Ben Golliver | Blogger
August 31, 2012 6:59 pm ET

This beautiful couple is no more. (Getty Images)

How badly would Sasha Vujacic like a time machine that could take him back just two years?

In October 2010, Vujacic was still the cult hero member of the title-defending Los Angeles Lakers known as "The Machine" and recently engaged to remarkably attractive Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova. Now? The Slovenian guard is out of the NBA and officially done with wifey.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Sharapova told reporters at the U.S. Open on Friday that the couple's wedding engagement is off and has been off for some time.

"It's been since the end of spring," Sharapova said. "I was waiting for someone to actually ask me that question. I have never really been the person to announce things. I never announced when we were together or never announced we were engaged. I never have in any of my previous relationships as well."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-lakers-next-staples-center-statue-top-195600889--nba.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard Will Work With Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was not just one of the greatest Lakers, but one of the greatest players in the game of basketball. He's worked as a coach with both Shaq and Andrew Bynum, though he had a rocky relationship with both, and now he's going to work with Dwight Howard.

Howard revealed via Twitter that when he's well, he'll be working with Kareem.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Kareem has a bit of an abrasive personality to people, but Howard seems like a naturally happy person, so it could offset Kareem. He is also willing and eager to learn, despite how man seasons he's had in the NBA, whereas, Bynum didn't feel Kareem had much to teach him after a certain point.

Howard is not quite seven feet, so having some of Kareem's tools in his arsenal could really behoove him, like the sky hook. No one has been able to master it, besides Kareem, but who knows what Howard is capable of learning.

While there's no telling how their personalities will mesh, it certainly can't hurt to have Kareem there giving Howard some championship-winning pointers.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Dwight-Howard-Will-Work-With-Kareem-AbdulJabbar-Blog-54364
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers to pay homage to three purple-and-gold greats

September 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM by AHN · Leave a Comment

4E Sports Staff

Los Angeles, CA, United States (4E Sports) – The Los Angeles Lakers are set to pay tribute to three of their greatest players who ever donned purple-and-gold, retiring the jerseys of Jamaal Wilkes and Shaquille O’Neal and erecting a statue of six-time MVP Kareem Abdul Jabbar. The team announced Friday.

The Lakers plan to retire the no.52 jersey of Wilkes during halftime of a regular-season game against the Portland Trail Blazers on December 28. Wilkes, four-time NBA champion and three-time NBA All-Star, was recently inducted to the 2012 Basketball Hall of Fame in April.

O’Neal’s iconic no.34 jersey will also be lifted to the rafters of Staples Center during halftime of Lakers-Mavericks game on April, 2.

O’Neal, perhaps the most dominant center in the history of the NBA, will become the ninth former Laker to have his jersey retired, joining Wilkes (No. 52), Wilt Chamberlain (No. 13), Gail Goodrich (No. 25), Elgin Baylor (No. 22), Johnson (No. 32), James Worthy (No. 42), Abdul-Jabbar (No. 33), and West (No. 44).

The Lakers are also scheduled to pay homage to Abdul Jabbar, who will have a life-sized monument outside the Lakers home arena on November, 16

http://gantdaily.com/2012/09/01/lakers-to-pay-homage-to-three-purple-and-gold-greats/
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject:

No disrespect to Coop, but he was a role-player. A damn good role-player, but a role-player nonetheless. If the Lakers start retiring guys of Coop's stature, they really might run out of numbers at some point.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I love Coop, if he gets into the hall of fame his jersey can go in the rafters
PepsiShine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:

im still wondering why jamaal wilkes is up there. he was a more consistent robert horry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject:

PepsiShine wrote:
im still wondering why jamaal wilkes is up there. he was a more consistent robert horry

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
On April 2, 2012, Wilkes was announced as a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame induction class of 2012.

Quote:
1977–1985 Los Angeles Lakers
4× NBA champion (1975, 1980, 1982, 1985)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject:

PepsiShine wrote:

Horry Career highlights and awards
7× NBA champion (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2007)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (1993)
Career statistics
Points 7,715 (7.0 ppg)
Rebounds 5,269 (4.8 rpg)
Blocks 1,035 (0.9 bpg)

Wilkes Career highlights and awards
4× NBA Champion (1975, 1980, 1982, 1985)
3× NBA All-Star (1976, 1981, 1983)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1975)
2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1976–1977)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1975)
Career statistics
Points 14,644 (17.7 ppg)
Rebounds 5,117 (6.2 rpg)
Assists 2,050 (2.5 apg)
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes also had an amazing performance in game 6 of the '80 finals. He got overshadowed by Magic's 42 points, but I believe Wilkes had 38 himself... in a closeout game without Kareem.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject:

PepsiShine wrote:
The Lakers now make it a practice to retire the numbers of all their former players who are elected to the basketball HOF. Wilkes is in. Cooper is not. Horry is not.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers Rumors 2012: Matt Barnes Expresses Desire To Re-Sign With The Lakers

The Los Angeles Lakers have underwent a complete makeover this off. They've lost long-time center Andrew Bynum, along with a few role players, but at this point the team doesn't seem to be planning on any other major additions to fill roster spots.

Free agent small forward Matt Barnes played two seasons for the Lakers and fans were generally disappointed with his performance. Barnes was an excellent shooter and defender for the Orlando Magic, but for some reason he could not transfer that success to the Lakers.

Read more at http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/4774/20120902/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-2012-matt-barnes-los-angeles-lakers-rumors-2012-matt-barnes-expresses-desire-to-re-sign-with-the-lakers.htm#JbHDGjEvj3xtWcJe.99
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
]Dwight Howard says he loves Orlando in newspaper ad
Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
— posted by Josh Robbins on September, 2 2012 12:05 AM
Discuss This: Comments(63) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

Dwight Howard is professing his love for the city of Orlando and its fans.

Howard purchased a full-page ad in today’s Orlando Sentinel to convey the message.

In that ad, which appears on Page C7, Howard said, “To play the game of basketball in the NBA is a blessing and to have had the opportunity to play before the Orlando fans for eight years was truly a privilege and an honor.

“Words cannot express the love that I have for Orlando. With your support we have done great things in this city from hanging banners to impacting our youth.

“Although my career with the Magic has come to a close, my love for the city and the people that make it beautiful will never end.”

Howard, who had requested a trade, was sent by the Magic to the Lakers on Aug. 10 in a complex four-team trade.

Here’s the ad:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2012/09/dwight-howard-thanks-orlando-fans-in-newspaper-ad.html
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Old School Lakers Fans: Should Michael Cooper's Number Be Retired? – Fan’s Take
The Los Angeles Lakers Announced Jamaal Wilkes Will Have His Number Retired. Now the Michael Cooper Supporters Are Lobbying for the Same Honor for the Coop
By Andrew Sweat | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 1 hour 0 minutes ago

Email

With the announcement that the Los Angeles Lakers will retire Jamaal Wilkes' number, the surprising response from many Lakers fans has been to yell:

"Cooooooooooooooop!"

That's right, a movement to honor Michael Cooper by retiring his number is gaining momentum.

Just take a look at the comments in my column questioning whether Jamaal Wilkes' career was great enough to have his jersey retired. A few of the comments were advocating retiring Michael Cooper's jersey if Jamaal Wilkes is the new standard.

Here are the reasons for and against retiring Michael Cooper's number.

Jamal is on the Hall of Fame, Coop isn't and DFish won't be - hence their numbers won't be retired - the Lakers' standard.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/old-school-lakers-fans-michael-coopers-number-retired-184800501--nba.html
indigenous
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject:

So I get it, he stabbed the Lakers the least out of all his former teams, so he should get his jersey retired? I seems to recall him donning the green uni which is a deal breaker for me, but maybe it is just me that's funny that way, hating the green is part of me.
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject:

indigenous wrote:
So I get it, he stabbed the Lakers the least out of all his former teams, so he should get his jersey retired? I seems to recall him donning the green uni which is a deal breaker for me, but maybe it is just me that's funny that way, hating the green is part of me.

I agree on hating green but sometimes you have to take into account the situation. Shaq obviously was only trying to extend his career and wore whatever jersey would give him a paycheck. You can't fault a man for putting bread on his enormous table. Had he left the Lakers by choice and taken less money to go, then it would be different.....I would definitely root for him less.

When he enters the Hall, he'll be in the Purple & Gold, and for that and all that he did for the Lakers, he deserves to be on the Wall of Great.
aticusCL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:

cheetos82 wrote:
indigenous wrote:

I agree on hating green but sometimes you have to take into account the situation. Shaq obviously was only trying to extend his career and wore whatever jersey would give him a paycheck. You can't fault a man for putting bread on his enormous table. Had he left the Lakers by choice and taken less money to go, then it would be different.....I would definitely root for him less.

When he enters the Hall, he'll be in the Purple & Gold, and for that and all that he did for the Lakers, he deserves to be on the Wall of Great.

AGREED.
indigenous
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
PepsiShine wrote:

Horry Career highlights and awards
7× NBA champion (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2007)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (1993)
Career statistics
Points 7,715 (7.0 ppg)
Rebounds 5,269 (4.8 rpg)
Blocks 1,035 (0.9 bpg)

Wilkes Career highlights and awards
4× NBA Champion (1975, 1980, 1982, 1985)
3× NBA All-Star (1976, 1981, 1983)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1975)
2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1976–1977)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1975)
Career statistics
Points 14,644 (17.7 ppg)
Rebounds 5,117 (6.2 rpg)
Assists 2,050 (2.5 apg)

But Horry threw a towel at Ainge, that alone should get a jersey retired.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject:

indigenous wrote:

But Horry threw a towel at Ainge, that alone should get a jersey retired.

How about we retire his towel, and hang it in the rafters?
socalraider70
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject:

Some of you dont remember Silk but let me tell you he was all that! Magic in to Kareem back magic back kareem out to the corner to wilkes SWOOSH! ugly shot that would go in dont ask me how.He was the second and or third options every night on the lakers.People forget Magics game early in his carreer was assists and penetration.It wasnt until later he started shotting jumpshots.Kareem and Jamal Wilkes carried the scoring also Mcadoo.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject:

NO TO BARNES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:

With the new lineup and the new superstars, this might be motive enough for Barnes to kick it up a notch. Give him a workout and see. There were times throughout the yr. where he provided allot of energy off the bench and lifted the team, it just wasnt consistant, but thats what the case was with our entire bench. Its worth a look.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: