Lakers in the News 9/11/12 & 9/12/12

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 9/11/12 & 9/12/12

Lakers #1 NBA team.

Top 5
1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Heat
4. Magic
5. Spurs

Quote:
Smartest Spenders in Sports

Behold our second annual ranking of how well the 122 franchises in the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB spend their money. We’ve used payroll data (from USA Today, Basketball-Reference.com, NBC Sports, and NFL.com) to calculate how much teams spent per win over the last five seasons. (For baseball, we also include the first half of the current season.) We then compared every team against league average, producing a total score we call the efficiency index. The median score for every league is zero. The lower the score, the less a team spent for its wins.

This year, we’ve added bonuses for the victories that matter most: wins above .500, playoff wins, and championships. Our scale counts regular season wins once, with a half-win bonus for every win over .500. Playoff wins count for 10 percent of a season; championships for half a season. In their Super Bowl winning season in 2011, for instance, the New York Giants got credit for 9 regular season wins, plus a .5 game bonus for their ninth win—the one that put them above .500. Their 4 playoff wins earned them 6.4 more wins. And the Super Bowl victory 8 more, for a total of 23.9 “weighted” wins.

LINK

Last edited by 32 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject:

Magic smart spenders? Overpaying Turkoglu, Nelson, Duhon and Richardson shows otherwise.

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:

George the Greek wrote:
Magic smart spenders? Overpaying Turkoglu, Nelson, Duhon and Richardson shows otherwise.

They are easily the dumbest spenders in the NBA (in NBA history?).
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
George the Greek wrote:

2010 Bobcats are the worst. They went from playoff team to bottom dwellers within a summer.

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject:

George the Greek wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
George the Greek wrote:

2010 Bobcats are the worst. They went from playoff team to bottom dwellers within a summer.

But they didn't spend a lot of money in doing so, did they? Maybe they did, haven't really paid much attention to them
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
George the Greek wrote:

How quickly we forget that the Knicks once had one of the highest payrolls in the NBA while not making the playoffs.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
George the Greek wrote:

How quickly we forget that the Knicks once had one of the highest payrolls in the NBA while not making the playoffs.

Yet they still had millions of fans and at least made some money, although ironically 50% of those "fans" have never watched a game. Same with the yankees. Oh humans, what a species.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Rehabilitating Dwight Howard progresses to first Lakers training session

Kevin Ding column: Dwight Howard, recovering from spinal surgery, went through a promising first training session with the Lakers on Monday.

Now that the Lakers have Dwight Howard, we want to know when they'll really have him.

On the court. In real games.

The Lakers don't know either, but they're starting to get a better idea.

Details are scarce and Lakers spokesman John Black declined to comment, but Howard on Monday had his first hands-on session with Lakers athletic trainer Gary Vitti and head physical therapist Judy Seto at the team's training facility in El Segundo.

Howard is rehabilitating after April 20 spinal surgery, and no one has been ready to commit to a day, week or even month when Howard will make his Lakers debut. But the level of mobility and strength Howard is already showing has to be encouraging for anyone hopeful he'll be jumping for that opening tip-off Oct. 30 against Dallas.

Howard insisted at his introductory Lakers news conference that he will not play until he is truly 100 percent. He also said this:

"Anybody who knows me and knows what I'm about: I would never quit anything and I would never fake an injury. I've never been a quitter. I've always been somebody who pushed through the end. I've had injuries before but I've never said anything about them. I've played through a lot of things."

His history backs him up: He plays when he can play.

And the fact that he can do all the running and sliding and stepping he can – besides other exercises more taxing for his back – with seven weeks until the first game and three weeks until the first practice is certainly reason for optimism. (And for all that he still can't do, Howard has at least been working on his free throws, yes.)

Link to full article

Last edited by 32 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject:

Not interested in rushing Howard into the lineup until hes more than ready to go. Pau can cover the 5 until Howard is completely 100% Its going to take a few for this team to get used to each other and gel, but once they do...this ought to be fun!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers won't make finals, says Robert Horry

America's National Basketball Association (NBA) has showcased players of sublime talent and skill over the last seven decades, but not many of them can stake a claim to be men with the Midas touch. Robert Horry can.

Not since Bill Russell's all-conquering Boston Celtics of the 1960s has there been a player who has been part of seven NBA championship winning teams, except the 42-year-old former forward.

Horry, who is in India for a clinic, is also one of only two people to win titles with three different teams - Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs.

Four years since bringing his 16-year career to a close, Horry has become a keen observer and commentator on the game.

And in his opinion, even with a retooled roster that includes two-time Most Valuable Player Steve Nash and perennial All-Star Dwight Howard in addition to the great Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, the Lakers won't be able to make a title run this year.

"I don't think the Lakers are going to be in the NBA Finals, despite Howard and Nash. To go deep into the play-offs, you need a strong bench, not just a great starting line-up. I still believe (last year's runners-up) Oklahoma City Thunder are the favourites in the Western Conference, and (champions) Miami of course have just gotten stronger with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis.

You pick up history and you'll see the bench that outplays its opponents usually wins," Horry told Mail Today.

The Heat and the Lakers both have rosters that look like fantasy league teams, and Horry believes that it is the general managers, not just the players, who must draw flak for trading their big players away, leading to this polarisation.

LINK
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
George the Greek wrote:

You reviewed the actual study, correct? They are measuring success over a 5-year period. Big picture, the Magic have been one of the most successful teams in the NBA the past 5 seasons. Yes, that may have been mostly due to one player, and yes, they may have overpaid several players, but that's not what the study is measuring. It's measuring bang for the buck, regardless of how it was spent.

You can even play around with how you value regular season wins, playoff wins, and titles. Orlando it a top 5 NBA team pretty no much how you weigh those.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
James Worthy to be Lakers’ studio analyst for Time Warner Cable SportsNet

James Worthy will be bringing his strong opinions on the Lakers more often than ever.

Worthy has agreed to be the Lakers’ primary studio analyst during games this season on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, the Lakers’ new TV home for locally broadcast games.

Worthy, whose No. 42 is one of seven numbers to be retired by the Lakers, has worked on Lakers road pregame and postgame shows for KCAL/9 since 1999. Now he will be working with TWC SportsNet studio hosts Chris McGee and Andy Adler, among others.

The Lakers will have far more extensive preview and wrap-up shows on TWC SportsNet than previously on KCAL/9 and Fox Sports Net. However the team does as it pursues another NBA championship this season, Worthy — who has never been afraid to offer sharp criticism during Lakers rough patches in recent years — will be able offer the perspective of an NBA Hall of Famer who won titles with the Lakers in 1985, ’87 and ’88.

Other members of the TWC SportsNet on-air team besides game broadcasters Bill Macdonald and Stu Lantz will be sideline reporter Mike Trudell and utility reporter/analyst Dave Miller (@CoachDaveMiller on Twitter), who is a longtime basketball coach and has recently offered regular insights for KSPN/710 radio.

TWC SportsNet (and its sister Spanish-language network Time Warner Cable Deportes) will be available for Time Warner Cable subscribers but needs to agree to carriage deals with other cable and satellite providers such as Cox Cable, DirecTV and Dish Network before it can be seen elsewhere. The two new TWC Sports networks will broadcast as north as Fresno, south to the Mexican border and in Hawaii and Clark County (Las Vegas).

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe Bryant works with L.A.'s homeless

LOS ANGELES -- Kobe Bryant spent Tuesday night walking around Los Angeles Mission, a nonprofit organization serving the homeless living on downtown’s Skid Row.

He was walking the streets, looking for answers to the growing problem of homelessness in Los Angeles, which he has tried to tackle for the past year.

“I was trying to hear some of their stories and some of their backgrounds and how they got to this position,” Bryant said. “I wanted to know when that switch went off inside of them and they said, ‘I need help; I want to turn my life around.’ It gave me great perspective.”

While Bryant was there he met a 58-year-old man, who has been in and out of the mission for the past year.

“He was extremely articulate and he had a great life and he made a poor choice and ended up on the streets,” Bryant said. “He came to the L.A. Mission weighing 135 pounds and now he’s healthy and his weight is back up. He’s 58 but he’s in better shape than I am. … You get to hear their stories and you get to find out first-hand what’s going on.

“This issue gets pushed into the backburner because it’s easy to put the blame on those that are homeless and say you made that bad decision and that’s the reason why you are where you are and it’s your fault. We all make mistakes and to just sit back and watch this and to wash your hands of it by saying that’s your fault, that’s not right and it’s not fair.”

On Wednesday Kobe and Vanessa Bryant arrived at My Friend’s Place, a drop-in center for homeless youth in Hollywood, which annually serves about 1,700 individuals between the ages of 12 and 25. They were there to announce the completion of the center’s renovation, which was funded by the Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation.

“This isn’t a popular topic or a popular issue,” Bryant said. “It’s one where you have to get your hands dirty a little bit. It’s not something celebrities easily rally around but this is something that we wanted to change. This something we’re all going to have to fight, it’s going to be a long fight but I’m in it for the long haul.”

Bryant recalls seeing homeless people walking the streets outside the Forum at the beginning of his career and more recently at the Staples Center. He admits the epidemic became like white noise for him before he heard chilling statistics about homelessness in Los Angeles last year. According to a 2011 report from the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, there are 51,340 homeless people in Los Angeles County on a given day.

“It puts things into perspective,” Bryant said. “At the end of the day there’s only so many interviews you can do and stories you can write. You have to do something that carries more weight and has more significance and purpose to it.

“My career is winding down and at the end of it, I want to look back and said I had a successful career because I won so many championships and scored so many points. There’s something else you have to do with that.”

As Bryant looked around the renovated center, he said realizing he was at the end of his playing career and that he had spent half his life in Los Angeles made him want to make a difference in the city he has called home since he was 17.

“Just getting older and slowing down a little bit and taking a step back, I really wanted accomplish more with my career than just scoring points in basketball and winning championships,” Bryant said. “I wanted to do something more and create significant impact.

“I was talking to my sister about this. We were talking about baseball and she’s a Phillies fan and I’m a Yankees fan and I was telling her that it kind of makes sense for me to become a Dodgers fan. I’ve never been in a city for this long. This is 17 years now. Growing up I spent about two years in a particular city and bounced. I spent four years in Philadelphia and then I came out here and I’ve been here for 17 years. I’ve become a Los Angeles-type of person and it kind of suites me well, I think.”

LINK
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject:

*Purple&Gold* wrote:
Not interested in rushing Howard into the lineup until hes more than ready to go. Pau can cover the 5 until Howard is completely 100% Its going to take a few for this team to get used to each other and gel, but once they do...this ought to be fun!

I agree but at the same time if he is cleared and ready it will help the team chemistry from the start. Adding Howard two months after the start of the season will take time to adjust, and believe me those teams that are tight and smooth from the start have the advantage.
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject:

Its a long season, we only need to REALLY gel a month or so before the playoffs. The Laker team that went 15-1 in the playoffs didnt have that great of a regular season...they put it all together at the end and the rest was history. (if its not 15-1...my bad! lol)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: