Lakers in the News 9/21/12: Fisher to Return to the Lakers? - Howard not ready to sign
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 9/21/12: Fisher to Return to the Lakers? - Howard not ready to sign

Quote:
Derek Fisher works out with the Lakers
By Royce Young | Blogger
September 19, 2012 11:29 am ET

12 | Comments

Derek Fisher still doesn't have an NBA home, but he'll always have a home with the Lakers, evidently.

The five-time champion and current free agent doesn't have a team yet, but via CBS Los Angeles, worked out with the Lakers on Tuesday.

Training camp is still two weeks away, but the Los Angeles Lakers held an informal workout Tuesday in El Segundo for their newcomers.

Derek Fisher, who is a free agent, was also in hand along with 1st-year Laker Steve Nash for these pre-training workouts.

Fisher's exit from the Lakers last season was a bit contentious as he was traded to the Rockets at the deadline. He was then waived by them and latched on to Oklahoma City's bandwagon for the final half of the season. But Fisher wasn't exactly thrilled with his unceremonious departure from the Lakers, essentially being traded for scraps.

He's 37 and not attracting much attention on the market. It doesn't seem that the Lakers were necessarily working him out for a roster spot as much as Fisher was working out with them.

Fisher was linked to a few teams like the Heat, Thunder and Bulls this summer but it appears he might have to wait until midseason again if he wants to hitch up with a contender. Otherwise, he might be looking at signing with a younger team.

Obviously the question is begged: Could the Lakers be interested? Unlikely seeing as they're especially deep at point guard currently and have a full roster. Also there's that Fisher can't re-sign with the Lakers until March, because of trade and re-sign rules.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20246856/derek-fisher-works-out-with-the-lakers

Last edited by Cha*n on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Which Lakers reserve is most crucial to team's productivity? (Poll)

Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison should make the Lakers bench much more productive.

Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison should make the Lakers bench much more productive. (Elsa / Getty Images; Mark Duncan / Associated Press) / September 20, 2012)
By Mark Medina

September 20, 2012, 2:20 p.m.

Soon enough, the Lakers will see whether their once unreliable bench could suddenly become a key strength.

The Lakers feature a bench this season with strong secondary scoring (Antawn Jamison), outside shooting (Jodie Meeks), playmaking (Steve Blake) and hustle (Jordan Hill). Even if the general public has nothing to judge beyond what's on paper, it's still safe to presume the reserve unit will top last season's. Then, the Lakers finished last in the NBA in total offense (20.5 points per game), 20th in shooting percentage (21.8%) and 28th in efficiency (27.2).

But as the Lakers' Oct. 1 Media Day approaches, which ingredient will prove most instrumental in improving this year's bench? I size up each candidate below.

Jamison's scoring: It took a season to find it, but the Lakers may have located a worthy replacement for Lamar Odom. Jamison has averaged 17.2 points and 6.3 rebounds in his career, and has proved capable as both a starter and reserve. Jamison's points won't just significantly enhance the Lakers' scoring output but should also produce trickle-down effects.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lat-which-bench-reserve-most-crucial-to-teams-identity-poll-20120920,0,1593121.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
20 signs you're ready for the Lakers' 2012-13 season

Will Laker fans get to have another championship parade this season?

Will Laker fans get to have another championship parade this season? (Don Bartletti / Los Angeles Times)

By Mark Medina

September 21, 2012, 9:13 a.m.

The anticipation's only going to increase as training camp approaches.

But hardly a day goes that Laker fans aren't thinking about the 2012-13 season. They felt irritated when the Lakers lost in five games to the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference semifinals. They felt anxious as to whether the Lakers could significantly upgrade their roster despite the limited trade assets and bloated payroll. They felt elated when the Lakers somehow managed to do it again by securing Steve Nash and Dwight Howard.

The Lakers have their media day on Oct. 1 and then start training camp the next day. But that's just making Laker fans more restless. Here are 20 signs that suggest, for the sake of your sanity, you're ready for the season to start today.

1. You've made daily trips to Dwight Howard's Beverly Hills hotel and Newport Beach residence in hopes you run into him. Your hope is that your lone conversation with Howard will convince him to stay after this season.

2. You've already started camping out on Figueroa Street so you have a secure spot for the Lakers' championship parade.

3. You've written over 1,000 thank-you letters to Lakers' owner Jerry Buss, General Manager Mitch Kupchak and executive vice president of player personnel Jim Buss for assembling such a great roster. You've also sent Jim Buss countless apology letters for all the criticism you heaped on him over the years.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lat-20-signs-youre-ready-for-the-lakers-201213-season-20120921,0,1011517.story?track=rss
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:

Bleacher Report but published by the L.A. Times.

Quote:
Derek Fisher to Return to the Los Angeles Lakers?
By
Michael Rios
(Contributor) on September 21, 2012

This past Tuesday, former Laker great and five-time NBA champion Derek Fisher returned to the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo, CA to take part in an informal workout session.

According to CBS 2 News in Los Angeles, the point guard worked out with some of the newest Laker acquisitions two weeks before the the beginning of the Lakers training camp.

There is no word yet on whether or not the Lakers are interested in bringing Fisher back to Los Angeles for a third and probable final stint, but the move has sparked a lot of interest among fans.

Fisher was among the most popular figures on the Lakers before being traded to Houston last season for forward Jordan Hill. Fisher was eventually let go by the Rockets and he signed a one-year deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder where he ultimately made his eighth trip to the NBA Finals.

Fisher averaged 5.6 PPG and 2.7 APG on 37 percent shooting last season as a member of the Lakers and Thunder. He did not re-sign with the Thunder this summer and is still a free agent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1342926-derek-fisher-to-return-to-the-los-angeles-lakers
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard says he'll decide about his Lakers future after the season

By Royce Young | Blogger
September 21, 2012 10:42 am ET

Dwight Howard isn't in a hurry to make a decision. (Getty Images)

On the surface, it appears the Dwightmare is over. Dwight Howard got his wish, got out of Orlando and landed on a contending, big-market spotlight team.

But he's still under contract only through this season and is set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013. And though it seems like it's extremely likely Howard will remain in Los Angeles, he told Fox Sports that decision is on hold until after the season.

“I think the best thing to do is talk about it at the end of the year,” Howard said confidentially despite seeing his basketball mortality up close a few months ago with the spinal surgery. “We just went through that last season, basically, and I don't want to go through it again or see anyone have to go through it.

“This is going to be my decision, and I'm going to wait till the end of the year. But I'm happy to be in L.A. This is a great place. I love the coaching staff, and I love the organization for everything they've done for me since I got traded here.

“Hopefully I'll have a long career here in L.A.”

The chances that Howard re-signs with the Lakers are somewhere between extremely high and really super high. He doesn't want another public-relations nightmare, doesn't want what's remaining of his good name to be dragged through the mud anymore, doesn't want to go through the stress and strain of the will-he-won't-he all over again.

And the Lakers wouldn't have made the deal for Howard without a pretty good idea that he's intending to re-sign with them. No way the Lakers would take Howard on a one-year rental where he's going to miss a number of games because of back surgery.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lat-which-bench-reserve-most-crucial-to-teams-identity-poll-20120920,0,1593121.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard not ready to commit to Lakers

The Sports Xchange

First posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 01:37 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 21, 2012 01:54 PM EDT
Los Angeles Lakers centre Dwight Howard speaks during a press conference at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo, California, August 10, 2012. (REUTERS) Los Angeles Lakers centre Dwight Howard speaks during a press conference at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo, California, August 10, 2012. (REUTERS)

The Dwightmare begins again.

Despite a complicated trade that landed superstar center Dwight Howard with the Los Angeles Lakers, Howard isn’t willing to commit to Hollywood beyond this season.

While the August deal ended two years of stressful speculation for the Orlando Magic, questions regarding what Howard will do in the summer of 2013, when he will become an unrestricted free agent, have already surfaced.

Howard gave no answers.

“I think the best thing to do is talk about it at the end of the year,” Howard told Fox Sports. “We just went through that last season, basically, and I don’t want to go through it again or see anyone have to go through it.

”This is going to be my decision, and I’m going to wait till the end of the year. But I’m happy to be in L.A. This is a great place. I love the coaching staff, and I love the organization for everything they’ve done for me since I got traded here.“

He did provide a carrot.

”Hopefully I’ll have a long career here in L.A.“

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/21/lakers-howard-not-ready-to-commit-to-lakers
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject:

what a stupid headline (not you guys, the source)

Howard hasn't said anything negative about LA, he loves the fans and he loves being in L.A,his decision will be based on team chemistry and health (if he's having problems, our FO wouldn't give out the max).
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Bleacher Report but published by the L.A. Times.

Quote:
Derek Fisher to Return to the Los Angeles Lakers?
By
Michael Rios
(Contributor) on September 21, 2012

This past Tuesday, former Laker great and five-time NBA champion Derek Fisher returned to the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo, CA to take part in an informal workout session.

According to CBS 2 News in Los Angeles, the point guard worked out with some of the newest Laker acquisitions two weeks before the the beginning of the Lakers training camp.

There is no word yet on whether or not the Lakers are interested in bringing Fisher back to Los Angeles for a third and probable final stint, but the move has sparked a lot of interest among fans.

Fisher was among the most popular figures on the Lakers before being traded to Houston last season for forward Jordan Hill. Fisher was eventually let go by the Rockets and he signed a one-year deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder where he ultimately made his eighth trip to the NBA Finals.

Fisher averaged 5.6 PPG and 2.7 APG on 37 percent shooting last season as a member of the Lakers and Thunder. He did not re-sign with the Thunder this summer and is still a free agent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1342926-derek-fisher-to-return-to-the-los-angeles-lakers

Goes to show you how stupid Bleacher Report is. fisher CANNOT return until March 2013...so he's not going to be a Laker this year. Idiots.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: LAL Scrimmage Notes: 9/21/12

Quote:
LAL Scrimmage Notes: 9/21/12

With training camp rapidly approaching, more and more Lakers players have been working out at the team’s facility, going through individual drills, lifting and now getting some 5-on-5 run in.

On Friday morning, veterans like Metta World Peace, Antawn Jamison, Jordan Hill and Steve Blake joined youngsters such as Darius Morris and Darius Johnson-Odom for a full court scrimmage.

We took some notes:

- Metta World Peace is in absolute peak shape. Much was made last season about how MWP came in out of shape and didn’t find himself until halfway through the season due in part to injuries he wasn’t able to treat during the lockout. But he says he’s 15 pounds lighter than he was last fall, and from watching him play, he’s not lying. We interviewed Antawn Jamison after the scrimmage, and he couldn’t stop raving about how great MWP looks and is playing. With attention focused on Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard, this could spell trouble for opponents.

- Speaking of Antawn Jamison, you can see almost immediately why he’s averaged 19.5 points per game for his career. The guy just has a knack for the bucket, whether it’s utilizing his unique array of floaters and leaners, or finding the space in the half court to get himself open for a jumper. He told us how excited he is about the team vibe he’s already feeling, with new/hungry blood from himself, Nash, Howard and Jodie Meeks* joining the likes of Bryant with a championship in mind. Jamison can’t stop smiling as he walks around the facility.

*Meeks was also in the building, but did not scrimmage.

- Steve Blake looked good for the Lakers late last season and in the playoffs, earning many of the crunch time minutes over Ramon Sessions, and earning the trust of his coaches and teammates in the process. Several assistant coaches mentioned how consistent Blake has been in workouts this summer, and noted that he played for Eddie Jordan his first two seasons in the league for Washington. That he and Jamison are familiar with Jordan’s system is a nice benefit for the Lakers.

- Darius Morris has improved his jumper over the summer, not to mention his physique, thanks to leading all Lakers in time spent at the team’s facility. His hard work looks to be paying off so far, with the test to come in training camp when he’s matched up against Nash or Blake.

- Jordan Hill looked very good in the scrimmage. While watching him dunk, rebound and even hit some face up jumpers, assistant coach Darvin Ham said he expects Hill to have a fantastic year off L.A.’s bench, backing up Howard and Gasol with his constant energy and activity at both ends that earned him playoff minutes last season.

- Darius Johnson-Odom was described by one coach as “bouncy,” and you’ll agree when watching video of the scrimmage. The rookie was flying all over the court, even treating us to a version of J.R. Rider’s “Eastbay Funk” afterwards. DJO is the type of player that plays better when those around him are better (Las Vegas Summer League wasn’t his type of atmosphere), and his defense and athleticism stood out in the run.

- Derek Fisher, a free agent, was in the building to work on his game, permission granted by GM Mitch Kupchak. Fisher is of course not on the roster, but it’s not uncommon for free agents or players on different rosters* to play at other team’s facilities before camp starts.

*Thunder guard Lazar Hayward was also in mix, often chatting up his college teammate at Marquette DJO.

- Big men Robert Sacre and Jeff Somogyi showed themselves capable of playing with the more experienced bigs on L.A.’s roster, and will have a chance to show what they can do in training camp. Each 7-footer did some scoring, some boarding and some blocking in the scrimmage. Making the roster isn’t going to be easy for any of the younger players, but the opportunity will be there.

LINK

Last edited by 32 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 6 times in total
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:

thanks!
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Blake, who shot the ball well from deep in the playoffs, looks sharp; remember he played for Eddie Jordan in Wash (1st 2 years).

yawn.. expecting another donut year
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject:

Awesome updates. I kinda hoped the pictures had turned out better, but awesome nonetheless.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject:

I want to see what Morris has to offer. This is obviously a very important year for him.
AboveTheRim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the great updates! Can't wait even for preseason games!!!
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Dwight Howard not ready to commit to Lakers

The Sports Xchange

First posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 01:37 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 21, 2012 01:54 PM EDT
Los Angeles Lakers centre Dwight Howard speaks during a press conference at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo, California, August 10, 2012. (REUTERS) Los Angeles Lakers centre Dwight Howard speaks during a press conference at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo, California, August 10, 2012. (REUTERS)

The Dwightmare begins again.

Despite a complicated trade that landed superstar center Dwight Howard with the Los Angeles Lakers, Howard isn’t willing to commit to Hollywood beyond this season.

While the August deal ended two years of stressful speculation for the Orlando Magic, questions regarding what Howard will do in the summer of 2013, when he will become an unrestricted free agent, have already surfaced.

Howard gave no answers.

“I think the best thing to do is talk about it at the end of the year,” Howard told Fox Sports. “We just went through that last season, basically, and I don’t want to go through it again or see anyone have to go through it.

”This is going to be my decision, and I’m going to wait till the end of the year. But I’m happy to be in L.A. This is a great place. I love the coaching staff, and I love the organization for everything they’ve done for me since I got traded here.“

He did provide a carrot.

”Hopefully I’ll have a long career here in L.A.“

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/21/lakers-howard-not-ready-to-commit-to-lakers

I guess everyone EXCEPT desperate writers understand why he's NOT going to re-sign?
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I want Mike Trudell's job

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Let Kobe and Pau take as much time off as possible until camp officially breaks in 2 weeks, they already had their offseason workouts representing their countries. Nash because of his age and resume should chill as well.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Howard in LA but won't commit to Lakers
Dwight Howard got his wish to escape from Orlando, but how long will he be in LA? (Jayne Kamin-Oncea-US PRESSWIRE)
Joe McDonnell

September 21, 2012

L.A.'S LEADING MEN
The Lakers have had a lot of great players. Here's our top five.
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- It's a little over a week before training camp begins and the Lakers' newest in a long line of superstar centers can't get the smile off his face.

"It's just a great feeling to be here," Dwight Howard said Thursday afternoon at the Lakers practice facility. "It's the happiest I've been in a long time. This is an amazing opportunity for me and I'm very blessed to be here and be with this organization.

"I'm so thankful for this and I'm going to do the best I can to show the fans, the city and the organization my gratitude."

George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O'Neal are all Laker centers and Hall of Famers. It's certainly not a long stretch to imagine Howard — acquired in a four-team trade that cost the Lakers' center Andrew Bynum — joining them in Springfield, Mass., one day. There is, however, one thing that separates Dwight from the others — he hasn't yet earned an NBA title.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/09/21/12/Howard-in-LA-but-wont-commit-to-Lakers/landing_lakers.html?blockID=793677&feedID=3657
PrestoDone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Man i really Want Darius Morris to do well, not just because hes a Laker, but because i am a fan of his.

Xbox360 Gamer Tag: PrestoDone
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Where's Meeks?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:

As for Morris; I'm pulling for him too. I read elsewhere that he chiseled up to a very in-shape 215, I'm not surprised to hear the comments from Trudell today.

Based on summer league and what I've read since, I'll bet he's better in traffic, going to the rim, and running the transition ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up with a better jump shot as well, however I will be very surprised if he suddenly starts organizing an offense in the half court.

Then again with Eddie Jordan coming in that might not be as big a liability as it appeared to be in SL.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Where's Meeks?

This - and Glock?? Was he mentioned? With DJO coming in 'bouncy' Glock better show up quick!
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Where's Meeks?

*Meeks was also in the building, but did not scrimmage.

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/09/21/lal-scrimmage-notes-92112/
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Meeks is on twitter everyday '
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers‏@Lakers

Quote:
Had a little East Bay Funk out at practice today courtesy of @KingMe_DJ1 (rookie Darius Johnson-Odom) http://instagr.am/p/P2g4snrO3c/

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: