Could Phil be returning in a consultant or coaching role?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Could Phil be returning in a consultant or coaching role?

According to Ramona on 710 ESPN today, they offered Phil a consultant role in the past.

Mason asked When does Phil return to the Lakers?

"The Lakers informally offered Phil a consultant role in the past. However, the Lakers believe Phil can be a real asset to help the Lakers recruit players. A concept similar to Jerry West in Golden State. There is a concept that the Lakers realize that Phil needs to be more of an asset to the Lakers going forward. I think it would be pretty foolish not to have him as one of the guys you use to recruit. Phil has made it clear he's marrying into this family and organization. Phil is a Laker."

Is there actual conversations or is there a concept?

"They all know Phil is sitting on the sidelines and wants to help and if there's a way he can help they want him to help. They know he needs to be more of a fixture moving forward. They know Mike Dantoni is the transition guy and the question remains when do they make the transition. Everything is in flux. Everything depends on the Lottery and then Free Agency.

I know they're optimistic about the summer. The question is how much pain are they willing to endure. They don't want to patch things together like the New York Knicks. I think there is a well though out plan. A lot depends on what happens with New York or if Miami wins a title"

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Jury's still out on Phil's ability as a consultant. He was a special consultant to the Pistons during their coaching search and eventually the now-fired Cheeks became the head coach. Even though Dumars took credit for that hire (lol) at the time, some said Phil helped during the process.

Phil's often at his very best when he has control of the situation, still think he'd be able to coach if the right situation ever came along.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

How many more luke waltons do we need
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. This gives me the impression that he comes back as head coach. I guess something like this could go down:

1. Draft Exum with 3rd pick

2. Make a serious run at LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony

3. Bring back Pau Gasol and Nick Young since we have their bird rights

PF-James
SF-Bryant
C-Gasol
PG-Triangle PG
SG-Meeks
SG/SF-Young
PG-Exum
PF-Kelly
C-Sacre
Coach Slick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Mason has become so irritating the past few weeks that it's become a chore to listen to him. Constantly treats everyone like crap (particularly Ramona), whines about having to do shows without Ireland, and vents these increasingly delusional fan sentiments about Phil that not even Kellerman is able to top.

Last edited by Coach Slick on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Consultant, and then when we fire MDA, draft Embiid and sign Melo, step down to become the head coach, and then when they finally overthrow Jim Buss, he then becomes the team president.

Phil is in that Frank Underwood mode right now. Get em Phil. They passed on you for secretary of..err I mean Head Coach, now it's time to aim higher and get your hands dirty.

Last edited by USCandLakers on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

The monthly thread.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Consultant, and then when we fire MDA, draft Embiid and sign Melo, step down to become the head coach, and then when they finally overthrow Jim Buss, he then becomes the team president.

Phil is in that Frank Underwood mode right now. Get em Phil. They passed on you for secretary of..err I mean Head Coach, now it's time to aim higher and get your hands dirty.

Who is China? Houston?

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I thought he was already a consultant
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Interesting. This gives me the impression that he comes back as head coach. I guess something like this could go down:

PF-James
SF-Bryant
C-Gasol
PG-Triangle PG
SG-Meeks
SG/SF-Young
PG-Exum
PF-Kelly
C-Sacre

I'm pretty sure we don't have Young's bird rights
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Who is China? Houston?

LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I think Phil in a consulting role won't help much. I mean yes he will be able to recognize talent in ways that others on that team may not see, but the only way I see Phil making a difference is as a coach.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Having a top draft pick and Phil as head coach isn't a good combination.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Having a top draft pick and Phil as head coach isn't a good combination.

Was a great combination for Bynum.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Phil practically went on a media frenzy questioning the motives for Dwight to stay. Without a specific amount of investment in Phil, he won't do this. Sure maybe he would help out as part of a video package, make a phone call. But he won't go out of his way. It's sort of like what he did with Dwight. On the book tour he just trashed practically every reason for Dwight to stay, and then when FA hit he tweeted Dwight to stay.

If they want to have his say mean something and him actually put forth a real effort a) he needs to be paid serious $$$ and b) there needs to be some power in his role where he has real influence.

West got ownership, BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

@USC

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/house-of-lakers-what-if-frank-underwood-were-the-los-angeles-gm/

lakersfan909
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I know there are some on this message board that seem to think Jim Buss does a fine job running the team. I wholeheartedly disagree, but I think something that everyone can agree on objectively is that to a marquee free-agent, someone like Phil Jackson holds a lot more gravitas than Jim Buss. In fact, whether or not this is fair, Jim Buss' reputation might even be a detriment to recruiting top-tier free agents. There needs to be changes in the front-office ASAP in order for this team to begin rebuilding/retooling and moving forward.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

PF-James
SF-Bryant
C-Gasol
PG-Triangle PG
SG-Meeks
SG/SF-Young
PG-Exum
PF-Kelly
C-Sacre

I'm pretty sure we don't have Young's bird rights

And even if we did, can't use up all the cap and then sign your own guys. They have cap holds.
Vinny4Lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West succeeding in GS, Pat Riley winning in MIA, the only option is Phil Jackson taking the reigns of Lakers FO and hiring Thibs, Jeff Van Gundy, maybe Byron Scott. Furthermore, what if Magic was our GM, would he do a good job ?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

just turn the page already. Phil is not Jerry West, who mastered the GM role for couple decades before moved on to the consultant role. Phil is still new to front office game. as far as players respect him, sure they admire his rings, but i wouldn't say he's a better pitch man than Pat Riley and Jerry West. but Magic on the other hand would be the perfect person to hire as free agent recruiter.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject:

if phil was already offered this and didnt accept what makes you think he would later?
secondly, he doesnt want to be a consultant, he wants to run things. he wants it to be his baby, not be a high paid advice guy. riley has full control of miami. he hand picked spoelstra, decided to fire van gundy and put himself in, as consultant phil wouldnt have that power let alone any.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
I think Phil in a consulting role won't help much. I mean yes he will be able to recognize talent in ways that others on that team may not see, but the only way I see Phil making a difference is as a coach.
yes, Phil who wanted to trade a prime Kobe for Kidd and Marion, and who think Luke should start ahead of Ariza.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject:

It's pretty funny that a guy who did his damnedest to antagonize front offices would want to have a front office position.

!...
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Vinny4Lakers wrote:
Jerry West succeeding in GS, Pat Riley winning in MIA, the only option is Phil Jackson taking the reigns of Lakers FO and hiring Thibs, Jeff Van Gundy, maybe Byron Scott. Furthermore, what if Magic was our GM, would he do a good job ?
Magic was our coach for a while, how did that turn out? So you would put a guy with absolutely no FO experience in charge, and have Mitch Kupchak, who've build championship teams, work under him?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
It's pretty funny that a guy who did his damnedest to antagonize front offices would want to have a front office position.

Yup. Great coach, but part of his shtick was to turn the team against everyone, including the brass. Burned every bridge in CHI and LA with owners and management. Specifically tried to marginalize and abuse the current head guy. Drove a wedge between the two main owners, one of whom he lives with.

If I thought Phil brought value as anything besides a consultant in the FO (not talking about coaching here), I'd urge Jim to bury the hatchet, be the bigger man, and do what needs doing. But given there's no sound basketball reason to give Phil any power, and every personal and professional reason not to want this in the hierarchy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: