Kobe's Legacy... could that be Dante Exum?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaqman55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Kobe's Legacy... could that be Dante Exum?

If Mitch and Jim draft him, what better way to end a career then to graft your assasin mentality into a willing learner who has the physical and mental tools to do so? I see it as yet another thing Kobe can put on his list of contributions to the Lakers and the NBA... Exum is the only guy who's put himself out there with the desire to work under Kobe's wing and get molded into a killer... Lakers need to take a hard look at this and for Kobe, he could claim somthing none of the other all time greats claimed: that he forged an heir to his throne... He created a split of himself to carry on into the future.

Quote:
Bryant has never made a secret of his desire for a sixth championship ring. There are other ways to burnish his legacy, however, such as helping his team to transition to a new era—an era that will no longer include him in body, but could carry on his spirit.

And if two generations that seem so closely combined can win a championship together? That would be the best of both worlds.

Come draft night, Lakers fans may be hoping for an Australian miracle. Bryant, meanwhile, may be hoping for a chance to pay his legacy forward.

Link Bleacher Report

Exum just moved to L.A. this week. He will be working out and preparing for the draft... Also assuming he'll be with Pelinka and eventually Kobe will be working with him soon.

If Kobe, Jim and Mitch learned anything from Jerry West and Dr Buss , they better be taking a look at this kid and meeting with him.
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

You can't teach the fire that burns inside great ones.

You're just born with it. All kobe can do is teach dante but he will never be able to teach "why". Kobe knew "why" he had to work so hard to get to the point where he is now.

Hopefully dante or the prospect we select will have a burning desire to win just like kobe.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

That is definitely a way to be further immortalized. It's something I get really excited about when thinking about potentially drafting Exum. All I want to see from these potential prospects is their willingness to work, and Exum has definitely given off that impression. Not only does he want to work, but he wants to work with Kobe. If Kobe trains Exum, and Exum is a willing student, I have no doubt he will be a superstar in the league.

Kobe has something to gain from it as well, not just Exum. In the scenario we draft Exum, the better he is, the better chance Kobe has at ring #6.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:

I promise you if our pick is wide open, willing to listen/learn/and work hard. he will end up being a top tier player. because kobe will show him the way. now will he be kobe good? who knows.
Vinny4Lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Embidd or Exum?
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

^ Exum.....we have MDA, no centers allowed lolol
Seriously either would be great but Exum with Brooks, Swaggy, Wesley, and Bazemore.....crazy athleticism!!!
mugwump
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Vinny4Lakers wrote:
Embidd or Exum?

Neither. Exum with that weak Australian league floater/layup -- that won't do it in the NBA.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

mugwump wrote:
Vinny4Lakers wrote:
Embidd or Exum?

Neither. Exum with that weak Australian league floater/layup -- that won't do it in the NBA.

I think I'm going to compile quotes from all of the Exum doubters. It will prove funny to look back at in a few years I think. "Australian league floater/layup" - have you even watched the kid? His fundamentals are off the charts - he's going to be a star.
T3R
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the Jedi midichlorian count was evaluated by Kupchak in Australia.
lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
mugwump wrote:
Vinny4Lakers wrote:
Embidd or Exum?

I think I'm going to compile quotes from all of the Exum doubters. It will prove funny to look back at in a few years I think. "Australian league floater/layup" - have you even watched the kid? His fundamentals are off the charts - he's going to be a star.
He also said no to Embiid
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

mugwump wrote:
Vinny4Lakers wrote:
Embidd or Exum?

Yep, I haven't been impressed with what I have seen of Exum.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
mugwump wrote:
Vinny4Lakers wrote:
Embidd or Exum?

I started this already.
TAKAHIRO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

this guy should be the last choice. Pretty much a high schooler, you know wesley johnson probably looked that good in high school.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

The greats are different, they have something inside that separates them from the rest. I don't see anyone in this draft that stands out as another potential great, but time will tell.
InstinctualGenius
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
The greats are different, they have something inside that separates them from the rest. I don't see anyone in this draft that stands out as another potential great, but time will tell.

From what I've seen and heard, from among this draft only Exum's desire and will to win are comparable to Kobe's. He has the intangibles to be not just great, but a leader for years to come.

Embiid makes sense for basketball reasons, but Exum makes sense for the long haul.

Born in a foreign land as the son of an expatriate father. Taught fundamentals from an early age with a crazy desire and will to win to go along with great athleticism. Looking to bring his talents to the NBA at an early age and establish himself as a leader on a franchise with a history of championship level expectations.

Does that remind you of anyone?

Lakers 2012/13
Shaqman55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

InstinctualGenius wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

From what I've seen and heard, from among this draft only Exum's desire and will to win are comparable to Kobe's. He has the intangibles to be not just great, but a leader for years to come.

Embiid makes sense for basketball reasons, but Exum makes sense for the long haul.

Born in a foreign land as the son of an expatriate father. Taught fundamentals from an early age with a crazy desire and will to win to go along with great athleticism. Looking to bring his talents to the NBA at an early age and establish himself as a leader on a franchise with a history of championship level expectations.

Does that remind you of anyone?

Quote:
That persistence showed in a strength and conditioning session during the first day of filming. After a hard hour, Dante was prepping for a short recap segment when he said, smiling, "Can you hold on one sec? I have to spew," Australian slang for puke. He said he had too many ribs—his favorite food, along with steak and salad—the night before.

Dante described what he had to do in the bathroom so calmly that you wouldn't have thought he was dealing with any discomfort. After a few minutes taking care of business, he came back, smiled, shared a few words for the camera and then went right back to a few more intense exercises. Just like that, without letting up.

LINK

Does that not remind you of somebody??

I don't care what your physical limitations are (by the way this kid doesn't have very many) but if you work out like that, you are going to be successful.

I mean even if it was somehow an act for the camera crew... that type on maniacal attention to detail and perception is the exact stuff Kobe is made of. He has a feel for the moment... You can't teach that. I don't see it in anyone else in this draft... Not Parker or Wiggins or Embiid or anyone else other than maybe Smart...but he's also limited in other areas
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

Exum seems the least questionable of all the projected top picks. Embiid has a ton of potential as well as Wiggins and Parker, but I think Exum has that X factor, that spark that sets him apart from those that are merely talented.

More specifically, I worry about Embiid being able to stay healthy. He's already showing signs of breaking down a bit just from playing a college schedule, which is nothing compared to the NBA. Sure, if he's available and Exum isn't you take him, but with our training staff and bad mojo as far as injuries go, that would be a concern.
The Fever
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

I think the best opportunities in order are:

1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Jabari Parker
3. Dante Exum
4. Marcus Smart

I don't see how Embiid can be #1, the game has changed. I also agree that his health is a concern as it is with all bigs.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

If Exum's first words to Kobe are: "I can beat you one on one," Mitch will certainly pick him first.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

Exum is a good player but i like Wiggins better.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
mugwump wrote:
Vinny4Lakers wrote:
Embidd or Exum?

Yep, I haven't been impressed with what I have seen of Exum.

hey but he idolizes Kobe and hired the same agent as Kobe, so he must be Kobe 2.0. at least this is what some fans here think about Exum. i was kind of on his boat earlier under the impression that he plays for a small college here in the States, but little i know he hasn't even played any NCAA ball, just go by some video clips from Australia. and the more him and his camp dishing out praises for Lakers and Kobe, the more it seems insecure on Exum's part to get drafted by Lakers, kid, let your game do the talking, these off court love affair stuff can only win you "fans", not contracts.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Exum is more like an ariza than a kobe. Exum will be a good role player. Embiid has the most potential. Wiggins looks like another Michael carter...none of these guys will be the next kobe. The next kobe wears 24 on Indiana. Develop the prospect, hype him up, and trade for Paul George.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: