Can someone explain to me why lawrence tanter is considered the best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
you guys are going to the extreme. i would never want a guy like that moron in detroit. he's over doing it. just someone who can ask the crowd to make some noise, or something.

and yes, ideally the team should pump up the crowd, but the whole point of a PA guy isn't to just call out names of people who score, it's to get people jacked when they are sitting on their hands.

It's the team's responsibility to get the crowed "jacked". 16 championships says we're doing okay.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

LT is fine by me. He represents the laid back vibe that you get out here in L.A.

Stu on the other hand, is robbing the Lakers of a paycheck that could go to somebody that actually tries to entertain the fans. The way Stu calls a game, I wonder if he's even a true basketball fan! If anybody needs to go, it's him!!!
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

not a big fan of Tanter either. i don't get someone mentioned his voice brings calm and relaxation to live audiences, well it's not a spa or massage palor, it's a freaking live sporting event. i guess his unique voice got him the fame in the 80's, but it's kind of played out imo, time for a change.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

I like his voice and presentation. That is why he is my favorite.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Umbraphile wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Tanter's very good. The crappy "Whoo whoo" and whatever other stuff they play to try to pump up the crowd is what really annoys me. I think even Kobe made a comment about it once.

Chick hated those guys. He used to call them "screamers." "Just say the names," he used to say.

HAHAHAHA I love Chick Hearns, I can hear him say that line in my head. RIP Chick.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Umbraphile wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Tanter's very good. The crappy "Whoo whoo" and whatever other stuff they play to try to pump up the crowd is what really annoys me. I think even Kobe made a comment about it once.

Chick hated those guys. He used to call them "screamers." "Just say the names," he used to say.

HAHAHAHA I love Chick Hearns, I can hear him say that line in my head. RIP Chick.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

I like that at games, I get basic info from him and that's it. I can see the game, hear the game... the only thing that sometimes gets lost in live games is substitutions, who scored when your view of the faces/jerseys is obscured. I don't want a cheerleader doing the PA.

I don't think of him as calming as much as I think gives me what I'm looking for, the info and that's it. It was the same at the Forum. The atmosphere was different there than at Staples. But still, getting the kind of info and nothing else is all I need from the PA person. If I can get that, then I can live with the now obligatory advertising he has to do.
resgraph27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject:

No. If we have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway.

You're looking for "real reasons", to what end? To convince you otherwise?

Sound like you have your mind set as it is.
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

the whole point of a PA guy isn't to just call out names of people who score, it's to get people jacked when they are sitting on their hands.

exactly the opposite of what you said.
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

akgolf wrote:
Can someone explain to me why this is in the lounge?

Can someone explain to me why it should not be in the lounge?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

Tanter is smooth. I love his style. He isn't there to pump up the audience, he is there to provide information. Sometimes the information sounds dirty, like, "The Laker Girls". Sometimes it's said with surprise and admiration: "The Laker Girls!" But it's always smooth, "Foul on number 52, Jamaal Wilkes, first personal, second team foul, one plus the penalty, two shots." So cool.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i guess his unique voice got him the fame in the 80's, but it's kind of played out imo, time for a change.

Nope.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Stone22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

I think LT is a perfect PA announcer for the Lakers brand. Cool, and collected, with a strong sense when to raise his pitch higher when an exciting play happens or a dramatic turn for the better has taken place for the team.

I love the way he used to announce Worthy's last name in a deep but strong style: 'Worthy' when he would score or when Kobe scores, the way he says 'Kobe' is magical to me.

I'm a Dodger fan but I appreciated the old NY Yankee PA announcer Bob Sheppard's way of presentation. It's in that same classic style for the legendary teams, adds to the allure, imo.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Because this is the Los Angeles Lakers, not the damn And1 Live Tour.
gus26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

i think its weird that when someone critizises lance tanter everyone jumps up and says its not And1 or detroit...

i actually agree that tanter is too laid back now... this team needs a new voice a new direction... i'm all for things being traditional and stuff but at some point we have to be inovative and set the example...

dr.buss was praised for being a visionary doing things no one had ever done before "showtime" "the laker girls"...

i would love to hear a new voice at staples center... not a screamer or something like in detroit, but somthing a little more up beat...

and i honestly think its time to retire the organs...

this is hollywood we should be on the cutting edge not still stuck in the 80s...

i totally respect the tradition... i totally respect the opinions of everyone saying its classy and laid back... but i respect the person that dr.buss was as well and i think if we're going to do him justice, the kids have to start putting their finger prints on this...

its like when i "dj" for my family at parites and by dj i mean play the music... i play some of the music they like, some that my cousins like and before the end of the night we would have my dad out there trying to dance to a jay-z song...

i think its all fun... and i guess maybe its time like when my dad let me start playing the music at the parties, trusting i would still play some of what he likes because he raised me right, maybe its time the kids got their own "dj"...
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Tanter is smooth. I love his style. He isn't there to pump up the audience, he is there to provide information. Sometimes the information sounds dirty, like, "The Laker Girls". Sometimes it's said with surprise and admiration: "The Laker Girls!" But it's always smooth, "Foul on number 52, Jamaal Wilkes, first personal, second team foul, one plus the penalty, two shots." So cool.

^^^ i agree, i love the way he calls it, i have no problem with this at all..

David Courtney (RIP) who did it for clips and kings did a great job as well

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject:

our crowd really sucks, but that's the nature of the business. tickets are so expensive that casual fans and celebrities are the only ones who can afford them.

the game 7 crowd against the celtics did surprise me though. that was the best laker crowd i've ever seen.
Andrew Evenstar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

I like him, but everyone here thinks he's the best because he's calm and cool.

I'm sure a lot of other fans outside LA probably think he's boring.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

He, and the Lakers organization, knows the show is on the court, so he doesn't try to take anything away from that.

There are teams with a history of being lackluster that have to employ tactics to keep people entertained during the game, and even to keep people coming to the games.

Lakers don't deal with that and haven't had to deal with that. If lt were to go its "kobe bububububububryant" I would absolutely hate him
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
LT is fine by me. He represents the laid back vibe that you get out here in L.A.

Stu on the other hand, is robbing the Lakers of a paycheck that could go to somebody that actually tries to entertain the fans. The way Stu calls a game, I wonder if he's even a true basketball fan! If anybody needs to go, it's him!!!

Absolutely....

Hey I appreciated Stu for a few years after Chick was gone, because it gave a sense of continuity... But he needs to be replaced... and ironically... I think Worthy is the guy... Worthy has a JVG, brutally honest thing going for him, which I love from the color guy... The play by play, needs to just stick to that... The color guy needs to analyze the game...

Stu... tries to provide "dramatic commentary" rather than critical commentary.

Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, (even Reggie Miller), James Worthy, JVG... these guys are the types I want to listen to during a game because they actually talk about the game...

The dramatic commentary guy works for radio... not for TV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I have no problem with LT doing his thing during the game.
But freak man.
Show some excitement during the intros.

Makes me wonder why the LA crowd sucks at cheering on the team. But then again, that's just a Lakers Staple Center Crowd thing.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Don't like it? Maybe Lawerence should try the Pistons announcer style. Kobeeeeeeeeeeee B-B-B-B-Bryant!!!

Puh Puh Puh Puh Puh PAU GASOOOOOOOOL for two, two, two, two, two, two...

Or this lame one from Shaq's Orlando days.

Duuuuuuuuhhh.....Shaqqqq shaqqq shaqq shaq!!! (echo fade)

Bye.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I go to games to watch the games not to listen to the announcer. Tanter keeps the focus on the game.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I have been a Laker fan for almost 30 years. When I watched my first Laker game, Lakers Vs Seattle, one of the things that attracted me to the team was the way he would say my favorite players name after he scored.... WOOOORTHY!!!! And COOPEEEEEEERRRRR! Those are things that I remember from my childhood about watching Laker games. His smooth delivery was so LA. It's part of the mystique of the Lakers.

Now these "new" fans come along and want a more updated, hip, new age "public address announcer". NO!!!!!!! If you want that type of buffoonery, go cheer for Pistons, or Nuggets and their stupid sounding, wreck league street ball public address announcers. That stuff has no place inside Staples Center, unless it's a Clippers game!

Last edited by Harlemlakerfan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
I have been a Laker fans god almost 30 years. When I watched my first Laker game, Lakers Vs Seattle, one of the things that attracted me to the team was the way he would say my favorite players name after he scored.... WOOOORTHY!!!! And COOPEEEEEEERRRRR! Those are things that I remember from my childhood about watching Laker games. His smooth delivery was so LA. It's part of the mystique of the Lakers.

Now these "new" fans come along and want a more updated, hip, new age "public address announcer". NO!!!!!!! If you want that type of buffoonery, go cheer for Pistons, on Nuggets and their stupid sounding, wreck league street ball public address announcers. That stuff has no place inside Staples Center, unless it's a Clippers game!

I've watched near 30 years of Lakers as well. And I like the way he PAs. Only issue I have with him is his intros are subpar.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: