Lakers continue to come out FLAT in the 3rd quarter (coaching?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Lakers continue to come out FLAT in the 3rd quarter (coaching?)

1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 29 23 14 25 91
Washington 20 23 29 22 94

1-2-3-4-OT-T
Memphis 29 17 20 22 12 100
LA Lakers 35 19 13 21 11 99

The Lakers continue to come out of the locker room after half time and play poorly in the third quarter. It is so obvious, even Stu Lantz continues to repeat himself about the importance of playing strong basketball during the first five minutes of the third quarter.

What is Phil Jackson doing during half time that he is not doing before the game?

At half time, coaches make adjustments. For the past 45 days or so, the Lakers are starting games playing team basketball. They move the ball, everyone gets their shots and there has even been sightings of players with the ball in the post. However, this year the Lakers trend is to come out flat after half time, stand around and let Kobe go one-on-one, one-on-two or one-on-three.

Phil needs to fix this or the Lakers will continue to lose games in the third quarter. Call time out, make adjustments, call a set play or bench Kobe. Whatever it takes, Phil needs to do something in the third quarter as the Lakers are struggling besides sit on his thrown of a chair and meditate.

Last edited by iml84myd8s on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers continue to lose games in the 3rd quarter (coaching?)

iml84myd8s wrote:
1-2-3Phil needs to fix this or the Lakers will continue to lose games in the third quarter. Call time out, make adjustments, call a set play or bench Kobe. Whatever it takes, Phil needs to do something in the third quarter as the Lakers are struggling besides sit on his thrown of a chair and meditate.

I think he wants to win games in practice, but I don't think he's team has enough cojones to do that. Even Popovic makes in-game adjustments because even great teams need timeouts. Phil has a lot of faith in these stiffs and he won't back away from his zen koan approach to coaching.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:

The Lakers continue to come out of the locker room FLAT and UNINSPIRED after halftime. What is going on???

Stu Lantz continues to emphasize this almost every third quarter. Phil must change whatever he is doing at halftime because it continues to plague the Lakers. There is no reason the other coaches should be out-coaching Phil at halftime. However, it is clear the Lakers come out after halftime with the wrong game plan and show no emotion in the third quarter.

Watch how the Lakers plays in the 1st quarter compared to the 3rd quarter. It’s night and day! Both these quarters have a greater reflection of a coach’s game plan strategy and the coach’s motivation for the team.

1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 29 23 14 25 91

1-2-3-4-OT-T

1-2-3-4-T
Indiana 22 23 20 25 90
LA Lakers 24 23 17 32 96

1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 24 34 21 24 103
Portland 31 28 30 24 113
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:

You're focusing on offense so you can blame Phil. This loss was NOT about scoring. It was about defense and it was a problem all game long. The guys were flat footed and out of sync defensively as a team.

Let's not turn it into more than it is.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

Nah, it's PJ's insistence to go with Sasha over Smush in the 2nd half for "defensive" purposes.

Well neither of them can guard anyone right now so why have the 2nd most able/willing scorer rotting on the bench while Sasha does just as bad on D but scores no points on the other end?
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
You're focusing on offense so you can blame Phil. This loss was NOT about scoring. It was about defense and it was a problem all game long. The guys were flat footed and out of sync defensively as a team.

Let's not turn it into more than it is.

I don't believe there was any mention of it being about just offense. I stated, "The Lakers continue to come out of the locker room FLAT and UNINSPIRED after halftime".

If you look at the third quarters, the Lakers are giving up a ton of points as well as their scoring is suffering. The reason I put the other teams scores in bold was to show the Lakers defense is also FLAT and UNINSPIRED after halftime.

I am pointing out that the Lakers TEAM is coming out FLAT and UNINSPIRED. The 3rd quarter woes are a result of the team's 3rd quarter play and not any one player. That falls on the coach's half time adjustments and motivations for the second half.

The point of the thread is Jackson has the team ready for the 1st quarters but he doesn't have the team ready coming out after halftime. Listen to Stu Lantz and you'll hear him talk about this almost every 3rd quarter this season. It's a trend that needs to be fixed by Jackson.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 29 23 14 25 91

1-2-3-4-OT-T

1-2-3-4-T
Indiana 22 23 20 25 90
LA Lakers 24 23 17 32 96

1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 24 34 21 24 103
Portland 31 28 30 24 113

again...

1-2-3-4-T
Miami 20 22 26 24 92
LA Lakers 26 31 20 23 100

and again...

1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 22 21 19 31 93
Phoenix 21 28 28 29 106

and again...

1-2-3-4-OT-T
Golden State 28 19 26 21 11 105
LA Lakers 31 24 11 28 12 106

What is Phil Jackson doing at halftime that makes these guys come out of the locker room so FLAT during the 3rd quarter? Stu Lantz is starting to sound like a broken record in the 3rd quarter... "I keep talking about how important it is to come out and play hard during the first five minutes of the 3rd quarter, but these Lakers cannot seem to do it on a consistent bases night in and night out."

Phil needs to knock off the halftime mediation or whatever he is using to prepare for the second half of games.

Phil has this team starting off strong during the 1st quarter of games and then they come out flat after halftime. Phil has got to get this figured out and corrected.

It's obvious this team is too young to consistently motivate themselves at halftime for every game. This is a big factor in why the Lakers lead the league in close games.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

Sometimes he can be a little too hands-off with the guys. I would've liked a timeout much earlier in the 3rd, when GS' began their run.

^^ Farmar

Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

The problem is that they've been starting 3rds going to everyone but Kobe and that usually gives disastrous results...
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

It doesn’t look like it’s any one player’s fault. The team just looks lethargic after halftime. They don’t have the pop in their step or fire in their eyes like they do at tip-off. They seem to come out of halftime on autopilot or cruise control.

It’s not every game. However, there is definitely a trend of this.

Does anyone else see this?
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I just breifly looked at all the boxscores from the start of dec till now.
While they lose alot of 3rd qtrs, they win alot of them... many of them happen to be loses by a few points and are consistent with the previous qtrs.
There is no significant drop off.. Only in the real BAD qtrs or real GOOD ones. Houston was terrible.. Dallas and Toronto.. look really funny.

Losing a qtr by 1 or 2 points isnt the end of the world. The big thing is the lakers win most of the 4th qtrs, when they dont its often times dead even and rarely lose them. Coaching??
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Its because the Lakers don't know ho to put anyone away. They were ahead in all those games, and they come back thinking this will be easy, and slack off. Then when the other team catches up, then their all "man this isn't in the fridge yet, I better step up".
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:

and again...

1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 16 31 16 30 93
Detroit 25 31 28 18 102

Lakers actually started the game flat when they usually excel in the 1st quarter. Nevertheless, the Pistons took it to the Lakers in the 3rd quarter and did most of the damage before it could be corrected in the 4th. Of the 17 turnovers by the Lakers, 9 came in the 3rd quarter and Odom lost the ball on the first two positions to start the second half.

Again, the 3rd quarter was by far the worst quarter for the Lakers. Watch the 3rd quarter to see how the Lakers do in the upcoming games. It's more than a trend...
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

nah...Phil is a genius...a lot consider his bogus style of "letting players figure it out themselves" great coaching...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
It's more than a trend...

actually it isnt...
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

You would think that knowing the problem the coaching staff would devise a method to overcome it...YOU WOULD THINK!!! I'm not a big fan of PJ's hand's off approach but what can I say....9 rings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Or maybe the players could play with more conviction starting the 3rd.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
You would think that knowing the problem the coaching staff would devise a method to overcome it...YOU WOULD THINK!!! I'm not a big fan of PJ's hand's off approach but what can I say....9 rings.

he had MJ/Pip, Kobe/Shaq along with other vets to figure it out themselves...he has Kobe and scrubs with below average basketball IQ in this team...Phil is the guy that almost quit on his team when they were sucking in the 3rd against Golden State...Quit, how about doing something about it instead?...I don't know why people buy Phil's philosophy of letting guys "figure it out themselves" and call the lack of coaching "great"...

btw, anyone saw Shaq today vs the Rockets, he looks sooo fat.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."

Last edited by Drifts on Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:

16 pts in 1st and 3rd, 30+ in 2nd and 4th. It ain't the coaching...
dvjs
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

venturalakersfan wrote:
Or maybe the players could play with more conviction starting the 3rd.

that they could, that they could. when a team is as young as the current lakers squad, one would think they would play with a little bit more fire and passion.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

You know for all the criticism Kobe gets for being a ruthless teammates I just don't see it. He doesn't even seem that upset when they lose or when they barely pull off wins against bottom feeding teams. Stupid Media. Stupid Peter Vescey.
Now I think he should start cracking the whip if he hasn't been doing so already.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
16 pts in 1st and 3rd, 30+ in 2nd and 4th. It ain't the coaching...

Give that man a cigar!
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I continue to think that opponents tend to just turn it up a notch, or two, in by the third period.... Our young team has yet to learn how to keep their composure, and handle the increased intensity.

I can't know what Phil works on, in practice, but I keep seeing some of the same problems. The problems I see, however, seem to be more related to the individual player's skills, or experience. We continue to see poor communications, on defense. Kwame, for example, reacts very slow, coming over, to help.

The only other questionable move, by Phil, is the fact that he's just not giving Bynum any minutes... I feel that Andrew might have spelled Mihm, or Kwame, and provided some fresher legs, under the basket. In addition, we may have had more blocks and rebounds. We might have caused them to turn the ball over more, with Bynum's blocking abilities.

I see just alot of violation of fundamentals... We showed just about all our weaknesses, but we also showed some strengths... I think the fact that we were able to stay with the Pistons, and also make a comeback, in the 4th, shows that we have a chance against them. We just need to work on those fundamentals, gel more, as a team, and work on playing a more intelligent game.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why it's happening...unsettling though. Hopefully we get it figured out.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

and again...

1-2-3-4-T
LA Lakers 14 30 18 21 83
LA Clippers 22 26 33 21 102
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: