Dear mod
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Dear mod

It's not your job to close thread if you disagree with people opinions , especially opinions about certain players that you might like. This forum is for all the people who agree or disagree with your stand. Many thread get closed when certain players mentioned , just remember that this forums is built by us not the mods.
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Coward
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject:

If you're referring to multiple threads bashing Pau and people pulling up old threads bashing Pau, then sorry, some of those will be locked. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with personal feelings about any particular player. It has to do with multiple negative bashing threads all complaining and whining about the exact same thing. And yes, it is PRECISELY the mods job to handle this as we see fit and to keep the boards a place that all Lakers fans can enjoy discussing the team without excessive unnecessary negativity in thread after thread.

Any other questions?
ChefLinda

samnizam wrote:
Coward

Thanks for your input.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

I don't know your specific complaint, but I second that. There have been too many instances where threads are closed because a mod doesn't like how the argument isn't going in his favor.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If you're referring to multiple threads bashing Pau and people pulling up old threads bashing Pau, then sorry, some of those will be locked. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with personal feelings about any particular player. It has to do with multiple negative bashing threads all complaining and whining about the exact same thing. And yes, it is PRECISELY the mods job to handle this as we see fit and to keep the boards a place that all Lakers fans can enjoy discussing the team without excessive unnecessary negativity in thread after thread.

Any other questions?

Like I said, I don't know the specifics of this case, but it is not limited to discussions about Pau.
SentToSchool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Nah, this forum is good compared to RealGM. RealGM mods are biased and angry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject:

It isn't a good idea to come back when you're on suspension already, Naterade.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject:

samnizam wrote:
Coward

This makes me wonder what kinds of letters our city council members get...

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject:

tttppp wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Any other questions?

Like I said, I don't know the specifics of this case, but it is not limited to discussions about Pau.

Ya those acupuncture threads can get pretty heated
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject:

tttppp wrote:
I don't know your specific complaint, but I second that. There have been too many instances where threads are closed because a mod doesn't like how the argument isn't going in his favor.

I've been here a longtime. I've never seen a thread locked simply because a mod doesn't like the complaint. If that were the case, you wouldn't see so many player/team bashing threads going on for pages without being locked. Anyone who has spent more than a day looking at the front page knows that there are plenty of active threads where various players get trashed. In fact there is virtually always an active thread criticizing every individual Laker for something, so this motion that mods are locking threads simply because they criticize a certain player is ridiculous. If anything the evidence in the lounge proves the opposite.

These mods are very good about leaving threads open as long as they don't break the TOS or degrade into a series of personal insults. The threads that get locked get locked because they are needlessly redundant variations on existing topics already being discussed. I know some people think that their 10,978th version of pissing on Pau (or whomever) is so rivettingly unique that it deserves its own thread, but it doesn't.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tttppp wrote:

I've been here a longtime. I've never seen a thread locked simply because a mod doesn't like the complaint. If that were the case, you wouldn't see so many player/team bashing threads going on for pages without being locked. Anyone who has spent more than a day looking at the front page knows that there are plenty of active threads where various players get trashed. In fact there is virtually always an active thread criticizing every individual Laker for something, so this motion that mods are locking threads simply because they criticize a certain player is ridiculous. If anything the evidence in the lounge proves the opposite.

These mods are very good about leaving threads open as long as they don't break the TOS or degrade into a series of personal insults. The threads that get locked get locked because they are needlessly redundant variations on existing topics already being discussed. I know some people think that their 10,978th version of pissing on Pau (or whomever) is so rivettingly unique that it deserves its own thread, but it doesn't.

I wouldn't say never. There was definetly one I saw where the mod didn't like the argument so locked it. I won't get into the topic mentioned above because I don't want to get banned, but that was due to a mod having a difference in opinion.

That said, this site is much better than some I've seen where every thread needs to be combined into one and where its acceptable to openly bash people as long as the mod agrees with you.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject:

In the interest of transparency and healthy discussion (because even though this thread was started by a guy with a screen name, the topic is worthwhile IMO), here are a few thoughts I'd like to share:

1. Neither I nor any current mod to my knowledge has locked a thread because they didn't agree with the opinion or were getting the worst of an argument.

2. Every poster has their own idea of what is and isn't a good topic, who is winning an argument, and who started what. That's why we have mods. Like it or not, there have to be people who make such decisions on behalf of the board as a whole. We are accountable to each other and the owner, and regularly ask each other for help or advice. Most of us are also quite willing to discuss things either on the board or via PM. We do make mistakes, but we are for the most part willing to be reasonable (I know I've unbanned people and unlocked threads after a convincing PM). That doesn't mean merely objecting will get you your way, but a convincing, respectful argument goes a long way.

3. As with any large board about a subject as passion-inducing, we have a variety of types of posters. One group is the low information poster, and another is the overly emotional poster. A lot of our trouble lies with members of one or the other or both. If you attack other posters who disagree, vent non-stop bleating about one subject in every thread (or start a bunch of new ones), or simply think every thought deserves a thread, you will likely cause a lot of thread lockage.

4. If you find yourself getting banned/getting threads locked a lot, rather than figure everything is because of some mod malfeasance (I was owning him/her, he/she doesn't like my opinion, etc., you might want to consider that you are actually doing something wrong, and if unsure, ask.

5. To help with transparency and communication, I'll sticky a "why did my thread get locked?" topic here.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject:

tttppp wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tttppp wrote:

I wouldn't say never. There was definetly one I saw where the mod didn't like the argument so locked it. I won't get into the topic mentioned above because I don't want to get banned, but that was due to a mod having a difference in opinion.

That said, this site is much better than some I've seen where every thread needs to be combined into one and where its acceptable to openly bash people as long as the mod agrees with you.

It's pretty easy to level accusations when you also refuse to actually provide evidence. Hiding behind "I don't want to get banned" is a weak argument for it. You aren't going to get banned for making a valid point. If you had one, you'd back it up.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tttppp wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tttppp wrote:

It's pretty easy to level accusations when you also refuse to actually provide evidence. Hiding behind "I don't want to get banned" is a weak argument for it. You aren't going to get banned for making a valid point. If you had one, you'd back it up.

You are wrong on that. I have been suspended multiple time for making intelligent post regarding the topic. The only thing that has kept it from happening again is to not mention it. Plus, I was banned from making comments on the topic as well. So that's part of the reason. If you really want the details you can pm me.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
In the interest of transparency and healthy discussion (because even though this thread was started by a guy with a screen name, the topic is worthwhile IMO), here are a few thoughts I'd like to share:

1. Neither I nor any current mod to my knowledge has locked a thread because they didn't agree with the opinion or were getting the worst of an argument.

2. Every poster has their own idea of what is and isn't a good topic, who is winning an argument, and who started what. That's why we have mods. Like it or not, there have to be people who make such decisions on behalf of the board as a whole. We are accountable to each other and the owner, and regularly ask each other for help or advice. Most of us are also quite willing to discuss things either on the board or via PM. We do make mistakes, but we are for the most part willing to be reasonable (I know I've unbanned people and unlocked threads after a convincing PM). That doesn't mean merely objecting will get you your way, but a convincing, respectful argument goes a long way.

3. As with any large board about a subject as passion-inducing, we have a variety of types of posters. One group is the low information poster, and another is the overly emotional poster. A lot of our trouble lies with members of one or the other or both. If you attack other posters who disagree, vent non-stop bleating about one subject in every thread (or start a bunch of new ones), or simply think every thought deserves a thread, you will likely cause a lot of thread lockage.

4. If you find yourself getting banned/getting threads locked a lot, rather than figure everything is because of some mod malfeasance (I was owning him/her, he/she doesn't like my opinion, etc., you might want to consider that you are actually doing something wrong, and if unsure, ask.

5. To help with transparency and communication, I'll sticky a "why did my thread get locked?" topic here.

You have banned me from a topic based on a difference of opinion, which in my opinion is worse than locking it. Because at least locking it would be fair to everyone.

I do believe there was a topic on unions which was locked for some unknown reason, wnich appeared to be because you disagreed with my opinion, I could be wrong.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject:

tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:

You have banned me from a topic based on a difference of opinion, which in my opinion is worse than locking it. Because at least locking it would be fair to everyone.

I do believe there was a topic on unions which was locked for some unknown reason, wnich appeared to be because you disagreed with my opinion, I could be wrong.

The irony here is if i could get you to understand why you're not allowed to post on that topic, we wouldn't have to restrict you from posting on it. I understand and appreciate your frustration, and wish there was a way to make it work for everyone. It is what it is.

As for the unions topic, I don't know whether I locked it or not. The only reason i would lock the topic would be one of two reasons: personal attacks within the topic, or politics being brought into it.

FWIW, I hate having to lock topics based on politics or religion or other subjects. I love debating them, but they are forbidden here.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:

The irony here is if i could get you to understand why you're not allowed to post on that topic, we wouldn't have to restrict you from posting on it. I understand and appreciate your frustration, and wish there was a way to make it work for everyone. It is what it is.

As for the unions topic, I don't know whether I locked it or not. The only reason i would lock the topic would be one of two reasons: personal attacks within the topic, or politics being brought into it.

FWIW, I hate having to lock topics based on politics or religion or other subjects. I love debating them, but they are forbidden here.

I see your point on unions, although I don't see anything wrong with politics.

As for the a********** threads, I asked the mods several times to be specific with what I was doing wrong. The only thing I got in return was an email and a couple posts calling me a crank and leaving it at that. I thought mods were above personal attacks. If you had identified what I did wrong I would have listened, but based on what I've seen, in my mind its because you had a difference of opinion. I never lied in those threads. I told everyone clearly my opinion is on personal experience. If that's not good enough for you, then just ignore me

Last edited by tttppp on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject:

tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:

As for the acupuncture threads, I asked the mods several times to be specific with what I was doing wrong. The only thing I got in return was an email and a couple posts calling me a crank and leaving it at that. I thought mods were above personal attacks. If you had identified what I did wrong I would have listened, but based on what I've seen, in my mind its because you had a difference of opinion. I never lied in those threads. I told everyone clearly my opinion is on personal experience. If that's not good enough for you, then just ignore me.

I'm with you on politics, but i also understand why they are forbidden, and my job is to enforce the rules as they exist.

Part of the mods' job (limited only to them) is to make personal assessments and act upon them. Telling you that you are a crank is not a personal attack, it is an assessment, made in the performance of the required duties.

A crank is someone with an absolute belief that he or she did not arrive at utilizing commonly acceptable rules of evidence, logic, or critical judgment, who therefore cannot support the belief with those things, is immune to evidence, logic, and critical thinking when it countermands the belief, and most importantly of all, is unable, through some combination of cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias, obstinance/obtuseness, inability to think critically, and gross ignorance, to understand much less accept any of the above as true.

Quite simply, the one other thing a crank believes to the same level of certainty with which he or she holds the crank belief is that he or she is not a crank. So while I understand and even sympathize with your feelings, rather than mitigating our stance, they merely reinforce it.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:

As for the acupuncture threads, I asked the mods several times to be specific with what I was doing wrong. The only thing I got in return was an email and a couple posts calling me a crank and leaving it at that. I thought mods were above personal attacks. If you had identified what I did wrong I would have listened, but based on what I've seen, in my mind its because you had a difference of opinion. I never lied in those threads. I told everyone clearly my opinion is on personal experience. If that's not good enough for you, then just ignore me.

I'm with you on politics, but i also understand why they are forbidden, and my job is to enforce the rules as they exist.

Part of the mods' job (limited only to them) is to make personal assessments and act upon them. Telling you that you are a crank is not a personal attack, it is an assessment, made in the performance of the required duties.

A crank is someone with an absolute belief that he or she did not arrive at utilizing commonly acceptable rules of evidence, logic, or critical judgment, who therefore cannot support the belief with those things, is immune to evidence, logic, and critical thinking when it countermands the belief, and most importantly of all, is unable, through some combination of cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias, obstinance/obtuseness, inability to think critically, and gross ignorance, to understand much less accept any of the above as true.

Quite simply, the one other thing a crank believes to the same level of certainty with which he or she holds the crank belief is that he or she is not a crank. So while I understand and even sympathize with your feelings, rather than mitigating our stance, they merely reinforce it.

I have a more libertarian view on cranks. As long as they disclose where they get their information, who cares what they sell. People here are big boys, they don't need you to tell them what's right and wrong. That's said I respect your right to run this site tne way you want, even if it is incorrect. I won't get into too much else, or else this will turn into a replay of that thread.

But put simply, the whole situation could have been handled a lot better. If you treated all your customers this way, you wouldn't have any. Fortunately I have thick skin.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject:

tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:

I have a more libertarian view on cranks. As long as they disclose where they get their information, who cares what they sell. People here are big boys, they don't need you to tell them what's right and wrong. That's said I respect your right to run this site tne way you want, even if it is incorrect. I won't get into too much else, or else this will turn into a replay of that thread.

But put simply, the whole situation could have been handled a lot better. If you treated all your customers this way, you wouldn't have any. Fortunately I have thick skin.

Fair enough. But since you think you're a customer, have you paid your bill yet.
tttppp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:

Fair enough. But since you think you're a customer, have you paid your bill yet.

That's the problem with the business right now, there's no money in it even though its valuable. You should be nicer to me since the company I am looking to develop solves that problem.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:

tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:
tttppp wrote:
24 wrote:

That's the problem with the business right now, there's no money in it even though its valuable. You should be nicer to me since the company I am looking to develop solves that problem.

Actually, spending time defending you from the folks who like to use acupuncture as a punch line with you, not to mention spending time being as transparent as i can with you should qualify as nice to some degree.

Then again, since the company I'm looking to develop uses proprietary technology to empty the bank accounts of those i ban into mine, I'm all set.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Your not an official lg member until you get your own punch line
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Your not an official lg member until you get your own punch line

And what is the first letter of the word "punch"?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: