Darius Morris - Defensive Player of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject:

George the Greek wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I'm conflicted about Morris. On one hand he's prone to incredibly stupid mistakes/turnovers on the offensive end, and part of me feels like we don't have time for him to get the rookie mistakes out of the way. (I view him as basically a rookie, since this if the first real run he's gotten in his career)

But on the other hand, you're right...he's by far our best PG defender, and adds an element of speed in the transition game, and dribble penetration on offense. I just wish we could speed up his mental development a bit, because some of the stuff he does drives me nuts.

He's a rookie. He'll look better and better as he grows. He needs time and he's by far our best prospect. I say we develop him. We need an athletic young PG who can defend and shoot.

DJO my friend.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Wagyu Kobe wrote:
Morris has really surprised me in the last 15 games or so. Not only has he (might be in my head) gotten faster, he's developed a reliable three ball too. Both great for D'Antoni's system...
well its not reliable yet. but he's trying. so props given.
iManArebel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Becoming a solid defender, but good joke!

Had me going for a second. He is young and quick, thats what we need
LakerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
LakerBlue wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
driver wrote:
He's still got a lot to learn on the offense. Unlike Blake or Fisher of the past, he gets to the rim like a breeze. Unfortunately he also gets there via a charge or being outta control.

I think his vision is great, he WANTS to pass to you, even if you suck. That means something to players woh want to build some confidence back.

His defense by far, is the BEST of all the point guards. When Nash returns, he should always be the go-to crunch defender when Nash is resting. BTW, Morris is a 44% 3pt shooter. Team needs to realize that.

I agree 100%, but i expect his 3% to drop significantly as the sample size is rather small.

Everyone keeps saying this but there's no evidence for it. Small sample size doesn't necessarily equal higher %.
Morris is 17 for 38. Other NBA players within 1 attempt of him:
Trevor Ariza's 10-39 (25.6%), Eric Maynor's 12-37 (32.4%).
A drop off from Morris wouldn't be surprised (44.7%), but I don't think it'll be lower than 39%. At least not while he's getting quality shots.

I agree with you, but let me clarify.

I just mean that statistically, as sample size increases, your average becomes more realistic. When i say significant increase, we are talking about a 3pt%. What separates an ok shooter from a great shooter could be as littls as 7%, lets say 36-43%. So to me that gap is significant. That being said, if Dmo is shooting near 45%, but ended up at the end of the season around 38-40%, i will be VERY happy.

Ok Got you. Like I said I don't think his 3FG% drops significantly, but I do worry how he'd handle a playoff defense like OKC's or Grizz's that would play him tighter.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Wagyu Kobe wrote:
Morris has really surprised me in the last 15 games or so. Not only has he (might be in my head) gotten faster, he's developed a reliable three ball too. Both great for D'Antoni's system...
well its not reliable yet. but he's trying. so props given.

Until his 3FG% drops well below 40%, id say its reliable. Not quite sure what you meant by not reliable. If hes hittin then hes hittin. Until that changes, you pass him the ball when hes open.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Morris is going to start hitting all of his layups soon.

Then he'll be a BEAST.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject:

Darius Morris has a lot of potential and he is only 21 yrs old.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I'm conflicted about Morris. On one hand he's prone to incredibly stupid mistakes/turnovers on the offensive end, and part of me feels like we don't have time for him to get the rookie mistakes out of the way. (I view him as basically a rookie, since this if the first real run he's gotten in his career)

But on the other hand, you're right...he's by far our best PG defender, and adds an element of speed in the transition game, and dribble penetration on offense. I just wish we could speed up his mental development a bit, because some of the stuff he does drives me nuts.

He's a rookie. He'll look better and better as he grows. He needs time and he's by far our best prospect. I say we develop him. We need an athletic young PG who can defend and shoot.

DJO my friend.

djo blew that opportunity by making 2 jump shots in a laker uni from summer league until the reg season.

but morris gets shook on every posession, u guys dont see him go the wrong way or take a big step back,hes bad at guarding dribble moves,hes best asset is effort,gotta praise that, and his D is still effective tho because PGs other than westbrook havnt been agressive taken adv of his inability to guard dribble moves. meeks is a better defender, djo ,too. (morris is playing solid D tho)

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject:

Let's not get too crazy on Morris.

Like everyone else, I'm thrilled that he's made such a big leap from last season.

He's doing a way better job of playing within the flow or pushing the pace at the right time, things he did not do well last year. It's apparent that he put a lot of time in the off season on his jumper. He's added a ton more arc to his shots, he's not flinging up line drives and clanking off the back rim like he did last season.

But most importantly, the game is obviously slowing down for him. His court vision was terrible last season, He played with his head down most of the time, never working passing lanes and getting into spacing problems. It was like he was more worried about not getting striped instead of making a play.

Now he's playing with his head up. He's seeing his teammates better, he's seeing open lines he can drive through and he's getting better off-ball position. As a result, he's integrated himself in the offense.

On the defensive side of the ball, he hasn't done much other than stay with his man. He's learned with his young legs and height, he should be able to defend most PGs simply by moving his feet, staying in contact, and not getting pinned on screens. He can leave the cheating and gambling to Kobe and MWP - just stay tight on his man.

But he's still a work in progress. His ball-handling and passing are still suspect. He dribbles too far away from his body, especially on crossovers. He's no where close to being a good passer, and his repertoire of passes is limited. He can use a better mid-range game, but that should come in time. With the privilege of hanging with Nash day in and day out, the best thing Darius can do this year is be a sponge and soak it all in.

I'm okay with Morris and also Duhon. They've both done better than expected. But Blake returns, I can't visualize how those backup PG minutes get shared. If MDA plays all 3 guys with inconsistent rotations and inconsistent minutes, it's not going to be a good thing going into the playoffs. 2 of these 3 guys are going to have to sit at some point. Which 2, I don't know.

It's too bad we don't have a backup PG the caliber of Eric Bledsoe. That kid is the real deal.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Clutch D by morris on JR Smith, greatly contributed in the W
Hmms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Lol [ at ] Morris having good defense. He should be getting DNP's
indigenous
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Hmms wrote:
Lol@Morris having good defense. He should be getting DNP's

yoshi121
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Hmms wrote:

And why are you laughing at his defense? You don't put a 6'4 200 guy on a guy that is 6'8 250 pounds. He did great on JR at the end of game.
Java_C1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject:

indigenous wrote:
Hmms wrote:

I love both of your excellent and in-dept reasons for why he should not be playing. Oh wait...
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Hmms wrote:
so you only watch games on Christmas?
LakerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Heck I wish he could just finish around the rim. That might be a bigger issue than his inconsistent shooting
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject:

he sucks sorry.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject:

@ all these haters.
He locked down the rookie of the year tonight. Lockdown D by morris.
supermamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Morris was great on Lillard tonight. Really impressed me.
AngrySanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Great defense tonite.
driver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Morris had mins > Duhon tonight. Maybe there is hope in MDA yet.
T3R
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Avery Morris.
2CSBROS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Youth and confidence with talent is a dangerous thing in the NBA. 21 year olds can run for days. And if they got confidence in their ability, it is invaluable.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject:

He is our secret weapon against the athletic pgs in the league these days. I admit I was a Morris hater. He's still pretty bad but now that he's not trying to play pg and playing SG, he is excelling, and playing terrific D.

He's the Tyronn Lue to our Allen Iversons.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject:

That 2 handed 'oop from Kobe had me pretty jazzed.

I get excited when our young players do well. He played some great D tonight. Pretty much a good game from him overall.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: